Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-07-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
tjcas
Starter Motor

Default Lpg and Traction control

I have just had lpg fitted to my au 11 fairmont and have found that the traction control warning light stays on ( very annoying). If I switch to petrol, the light goes out. On factory fitted lpg the TCS is disabled but with after market it is not. According to my local dealer, thats the way it is.
Does any one know how to fix this problem.

tjcas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the traction control is not compatible with LPG. They put a relay in to dissable it on LPG as they did with the factory (Tickford ) system. not much you can do about it sorry
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think you will find the light just means that the t/c is turned off....any car with t/c cant work on gas only on petrol..you can always remove the bulb for the light if it annoys ya....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggaclint
i think you will find the light just means that the t/c is turned off....any car with t/c cant work on gas only on petrol..you can always remove the bulb for the light if it annoys ya....
Spot on! Black electrical tape on the cluster works well too.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
peterban
AULTD

The light reminds me I am running on cheap Gas, no light means expensive petrol
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 12:38 AM   #6
mickbag
innocent bystander

I just had LPG fitted to my series3 Fairmont, and the guy told me that traction control had to be disabled because it can cause the LPG to backfire and blow the ...bottom... out of the airbox.
Car goes great with it, tho... very smooth... except for the traction control light you wouldn't know it wasn't running on petrol.
mickbag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 07:54 AM   #7
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

What this means is that while driving on LPG, you will have no hope in hell of breaking traction... lol...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbag
I just had LPG fitted to my series3 Fairmont, and the guy told me that traction control had to be disabled because it can cause the LPG to backfire and blow the ...bottom... out of the airbox.
Car goes great with it, tho... very smooth... except for the traction control light you wouldn't know it wasn't running on petrol.
that's what i thought too, but i've since been told by someone who has been in the industry for about the last 20 years that the reason it is disabled is, when t/c is on with petrol, as the ecu detects wheelspin it cuts the injectors, now this isn't possible to do with a mixer setup, because it's more of a mechanical control than a computer control, ie you can't make the convertor stop pumping gas or the car would die.....
as far as i'm aware tho, t/c still works with no problems with an svi setup, because it can cut the injectors
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 11:57 AM   #9
mickbag
innocent bystander

What this means is that while driving on LPG, you will have no hope in hell of breaking traction... lol...

just the opposite... the dash light comes on as a warning that t/c is off... and it is on permanently when running on lpg...
it can still be switched on & off when running on petrol

I like peterban's take on it... that was the reason for installing lpg after all...

Last edited by mickbag; 26-07-2007 at 12:00 PM. Reason: correction
mickbag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
I see what you did there au3 chaser. I spin em more on the LPG cos of the low down torque increase over dirty petrol.
Old 31-07-2007, 08:10 PM   #11
Umineko
Karasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggaclint
you can always remove the bulb for the light if it annoys ya....
Actually no you can't, it's an LED mounted on the circuit board, black tape or learn to live with it are your only options
Also on direct injected gas systems there is no need to disable the TC
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #12
xd351md

Default Re: Lpg and Traction control

A mate of mine has an AU with Direct Gas Injection or whatever its called, it cost him bloody 4 grand got less then half back about $1800. But he has full functionality as I noticed in the rain once he almost spun the wheels but a dash light came on, it was a picture of a wheel with some dirt/rocks coming off it, assume it is the traction control light. This was while it was on LPG not petrol..so I guess injected gas system is worth it if you can fork out the extra dollars...

Last edited by Mechan1k; 15-09-2012 at 02:45 AM. Reason: adjusted ... no need to try and avoid the swear filter
xd351md is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It says in the manual that with factory dual fuel the TC will be disabled on LPG, but so will the light. Maybe there is a way to set it up like factory so the light doesn't come on, it doesn't bother me though.
Old 15-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Just as an aside, the speed limiter also functions off of the injector signal so where on petrol the car will cut out at 180kph, on LPG there is no speed limiter meaning that you can keep on accelerating till the car runs out of steam.....um...err...well...um...so I've been told

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes T/C will work with injected gas as it gets it's injector timing pulses from the petrol ECU so the T/C will cut the gas as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd351md
A mate of mine has an AU with Direct Gas Injection or whatever its called, it cost him bloody 4 grand got less then half back about $1800. But he has full functionality as I noticed in the rain once he almost spun the wheels but a dash light came on, it was a picture of a wheel with some dirt/rocks coming off it, assume it is the traction control light. This was while it was on LPG not petrol..so I guess injected gas system is worth it if you can fork out the extra dollars...

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #16
bluefairlane
Starter Motor

Hi fellas, I'm a newbie. I was just looking through this to sort out my own problem, an au v8 on gas with traction control light and abs continually on. No problem getting wheel spin on lpg but completely useless on acceleration on unleaded and no too flash on unleaded when I floor it once it is rolling either at just about any speed although it cruises fine plenty of power on gas though. By contrast our other car au with vct 6 also on gas never gets the light on even if I push the traction control button. I am thinking I have to disable it on the v8 somehow because it has great power on gas but should be even better on unleaded. Any ideas?
bluefairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post