Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with your DSG Auto, Focus or Fiesta?
Had a problem now its fixed by the dealer 11 15.71%
More than 1 promblem with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
More than 2 promblems with still ongoing issues 11 15.71%
3 or more problems with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
Never had any issues with my DSG Auto 22 31.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #271
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: 2011 Ford Focus Sport, Transmission Shudders :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
and the biggest seller in the market is?

Best doesn't sell, perceived image does. Hence why Toyota dominate and any poo flung at VW doesn't stick.
Given he is going to look at another car and raised Elantra or Mazda 3 I'm just suggesting he looks at the 3 SP25.

I don't think he is in the market for a Corolla lol.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 01:05 AM   #272
JG33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Given he is going to look at another car and raised Elantra or Mazda 3 I'm just suggesting he looks at the 3 SP25.
I'm leaning more to Elantra, price wise and a little more roomier for the rear passengers than Mazda 3 .
SP25 looks nice but not really wanting to spend that kind of money.
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-04-2015, 01:22 AM   #273
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
Its been going on for a long time now, with the only fix is to keep replacing the clutch with the same parts that keeps failing, once your warranty is done your on your own.
I well known Ford dealer in the North are set-up to do 4 clutch changes everyday on the DSG trans.
Perhaps ford might be able to do change over assemblies, most of the time seems to be in going through all the intricate Work in the clutch mechanism, that would speed up the process a bit,
for the little mechanics shop it might still be a problem if they don't have all the computer bizzo to set it up ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #274
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Perhaps ford might be able to do change over assemblies, most of the time seems to be in going through all the intricate Work in the clutch mechanism, that would speed up the process a bit,
for the little mechanics shop it might still be a problem if they don't have all the computer bizzo to set it up ?
The problem still exists it doesn't matter how man times they fix the clutch, its back to the same issue.
Unfortunately there a dud unless there is a real fix other than constant a ongoing replacement of parts.
There will never be any joy for DSG owners, that's why we got rid of ours they have an awful reputation in a short space of time.
Once out of warranty the cost for the consumer is going to hefty, and resale is woeful.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 09-04-2015 at 10:21 AM.
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #275
Imolator
Quad Cam

Quote:
The problem still exists it doesn't matter how man times they fix the clutch, its back to the same issue.
Unfortunately there a dud unless there is a real fix other than constant a ongoing replacement of parts.
There will never be any joy for DSG owners, that's why we got rid of ours they have an awful reputation in a short space of time.
Once out of warranty the cost for the consumer is going to hefty, and resale is woeful.
This is the very reason I have trading my Focus S Powershift, just waiting for my new car to arrive in Port Kembla tomorrow. These transmissions were rushed to market with insufficient development done.

They are already on the 5th revision of the clutches with people still complaining about the same issues.
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #276
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yes its a bit of a shame that ford didn't just have same packaged car with an reliable 6 speed auto ....the old and proven slush box style with flappy paddles, these cars would have been on top of the pack.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #277
JG33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG33 View Post
Well, done over 63,000k's and the shuddering problem is back as well as having a faulty reading on the fuel gauge. Having the issue sorted this week and will be trading it in for another car next week (had enough). It's a toss up between Hyundai Elantra or Mazda 3.

Only way I'll keep the Focus if Ford replaces the transmission with a brand new fluid type auto with a torque convertor.

Otherwise they can jam the DCT up the idiot who came up with the idea.
Got the Focus back, a faulty purge tank apparently was preventing the car from filling up past 3/4 tank so they replaced the fuel tank and waiting for a second clutch which will be a few months away.
Not bad, a 2 1/2 year old car with almost 64000k on the clock and I had both rear door interior panels replaced, fuel tank replaced, clutch replaced with a second one due and a battery....Well done FORD!!!

No matter, just placed a deposit on a new Elantra......painful experience over.
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #278
C0ncrete

Taking mine in again, has the latest revision clutch which was replaced in November last year. They didnt replace the seal with the latest revision and as per the video linked a few pages back, I'm inclined to think this is where the issues arise from.

Car was a dream to drive in the weeks immediately after the clutch replacement.I actually looked forward to driving it. Now it back to its usual violent shudder.

Im asking that the seal be replaced as the full TSB followed.

Once I get it back I will be selling it an getting a new vehicle.

Do the new VW's / Golfs still have transmission issues?

Also looking at a Mazda 6.
C0ncrete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2015, 12:44 PM   #279
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Mazda has a regular 6sp slushbox, no DSG
Old 15-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #280
RedChris
Starter Motor

Do the new Golfs still have transmission problems? They are improved but some people still have issues with the 7 speed dry clutch DSG. If you must go VW, make sure you get one with the 6 speed DSG (i.e. diesel or higher performance).

Mazda? Generally pretty safe buying
RedChris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #281
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drive VW transporter vans with a 7 speed dsg. They have done 87000-145000kms -no trouble -but if left in drive mode will drop into the top 2 gears, 6 and 7 and lug around at 1100-1200rpm, we just leave them in sport mode.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #282
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0ncrete View Post

Do the new VW's / Golfs still have transmission issues?
There DSG had a world wide voluntary recall, VW changed the synthetic trans oil to mineral oil.
I know 3 people who have a Golf and haven't reported any issues.

http://volkswagenaustralia.com.au/DS...taryrecall/faq
http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news...0#.VS48vJOVNIY

Old 15-04-2015, 09:47 PM   #283
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sooooo many focus' are going to end up on the used car market as a result of this. They will pile up big time. No one will want them.

so unfortunate...
Old 15-04-2015, 11:56 PM   #284
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Sooooo many focus' are going to end up on the used car market as a result of this. They will pile up big time. No one will want them.

so unfortunate...
Takes so many years to build up a reputation and a few months to ruin it forever.
5 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #285
Binny

Hmmm. I wonder how long before we see a Destroy My Focus campaign?
Old 16-04-2015, 03:35 PM   #286
PDB1957
Starter Motor

Angry Re: 2011 Ford Focus Sport, Transmission Shudders :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Takes so many years to build up a reputation and a few months to ruin it forever.

Mines been back 5 times
oil soaked clutch replaced 4 times
Still shudders dealer now quoting TSB1414 within specs.
Wont give me a copy of TSB
Fordcare is just plain PR BS
Gonna have a bonfire real soon
PDB1957 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #287
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
You would figure with the shudder it will fall apart on itself.
Old 16-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #288
PDB1957
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
It might be happening sooner than later
Web site under currently development
I will be looking for sponsors soon
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2015, 07:31 AM   #289
RedChris
Starter Motor

Hmmmmm, before you decide to totally trash the Focus' reputation, spare a thought for those of us who bought a manual or a diesel... maybe just stick with the gearbox (and Sync) issues?

I understand the anger, saw lots of it on VWWatercooled over DSG issues (used to have a VW group car), but the best outcomes are to be had by focusing (excuse the pun) on the specific issues. Ford needs to find a permanent fix for the gearbox, not the whole car.

VW Aus suddenly became much more responsive through the Age publicity. Whether they got their facts right or not, the Age pushed VW to offer much more to owners than they were evidently going to.
RedChris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #290
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDB1957 View Post
It might be happening sooner than later
Web site under currently development
I will be looking for sponsors soon
If you're going to do something how much do you want to put a big "Sponsored by Big Damo from AFF" sticker go to on the car?

Old 17-04-2015, 11:31 PM   #291
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mrs In Focus has a 2014 Focus that's very smooth and trouble free. Actually, I think it's smoother than the DSG in my car. She also had no trouble in the DCT 2010 Fiesta before that. So they're not all bad, although it does, anecdotally, seem to be a technology with a higher rate of problems than "traditional" torque converter automatics. Anyone know if CVT's have a better reputation?

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2015, 02:39 AM   #292
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus View Post
Mrs In Focus has a 2014 Focus that's very smooth and trouble free. Actually, I think it's smoother than the DSG in my car. She also had no trouble in the DCT 2010 Fiesta before that. So they're not all bad, although it does, anecdotally, seem to be a technology with a higher rate of problems than "traditional" torque converter automatics. Anyone know if CVT's have a better reputation?
i asked the same question on a forum some time ago about CVT trannys, if i recall the answers correctly and if you believe dudes on the internet, they in general are not too bad, but still dont last like a the old conventional slush box.

i have no legit data to say one way or the other , but thats my take on it too.
Old 20-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #293
SpoolMan

Our Nissan Qashqai 7000 klm the CVT is so very smooth, having the car for 4 months I don't drive it a lot, its very nice to drive and my wife loves it.
Top Gear UK rated the Qashqai as the best CVT they had tested.

Old 20-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #294
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Our Nissan Qashqai 7000 klm the CVT is so very smooth, having the car for 4 months I don't drive it a lot, its very nice to drive and my wife loves it.
Top Gear UK rated the Qashqai as the best CVT they had tested.
Its interesting that the Pathfinder one had many shudder dramas....and about 10 fixes to it.
Old 20-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #295
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Its interesting that the Pathfinder one had many shudder dramas....and about 10 fixes to it.
Its not the same CVT.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:26 AM   #296
narooma98
Starter Motor

waiting for replacement clutch was told 4-6 weeks 6 weeks ago at the time was 1235 clutches on back order now 6 weeks on is now 1735 and still none in Australia Disgraceful Ford its ashame we love our LW SPORT but cant wait to get rid of it and go back to the OLD FAITHFULL FALCON
narooma98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 08:42 AM   #297
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by narooma98 View Post
waiting for replacement clutch was told 4-6 weeks 6 weeks ago at the time was 1235 clutches on back order now 6 weeks on is now 1735 and still none in Australia Disgraceful Ford its ashame we love our LW SPORT but cant wait to get rid of it and go back to the OLD FAITHFULL FALCON
Thats disgraceful, and thats a hell of clutches on back order. they might as well have just done a recall.
alokin123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #298
Nesbit
Starter Motor

I was able to get my clutches replaced quicker as my dealer decided (after a heated discussion) that my car was V.O.R (vehicle off road) and seemingly Ford act on these as a priority. It was turned around within 1 week, took 2 days to do the replacement and so far so good.
Nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #299
PDB1957
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by narooma98 View Post
Thankyou for the information.
That explains why they were reluctant when I took the focus to the dealer on 15/04/2015 for the fifth clutch ( yes the shudder is back ) that the feedback I got from Dealer and Ford Customer Care that it was within specifications ( quoted TSB 1414 When I asked for a copy of TSB1414 I was refused.
ITS TRULY AMAZING THAT BETWEEN SEPTEMBER 2014 AND START OF APRIL 2015 THE FOCUS HAD NO SHUDDER WHAT SO EVER AND PERFORMED COMPLETELY FAULT FREE

It seems Ford only have a temporary fix for this reoccurring problem and cant keep op the supply of replacement clutches.

Sooner or later this vehicle is going to cause an accident as it occasionally hops across an intersection like a scared rabbit.

My website DESTROY THE FOCUS is nearly ready undergoing testing of VPN and Russian server, and links to Facebook, Selling Dealer and Twitter.

I tried to trade the Focus in at another manufactures dealership.
$ 8000 for a 06/2013 Trend with 30000 k.
It seems the word is out
Old 05-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #300
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDB1957 View Post
Thankyou for the information.
That explains why they were reluctant when I took the focus to the dealer on 15/04/2015 for the fifth clutch ( yes the shudder is back ) that the feedback I got from Dealer and Ford Customer Care that it was within specifications ( quoted TSB 1414 When I asked for a copy of TSB1414 I was refused.
ITS TRULY AMAZING THAT BETWEEN SEPTEMBER 2014 AND START OF APRIL 2015 THE FOCUS HAD NO SHUDDER WHAT SO EVER AND PERFORMED COMPLETELY FAULT FREE

It seems Ford only have a temporary fix for this reoccurring problem and cant keep op the supply of replacement clutches.

Sooner or later this vehicle is going to cause an accident as it occasionally hops across an intersection like a scared rabbit.

My website DESTROY THE FOCUS is nearly ready undergoing testing of VPN and Russian server, and links to Facebook, Selling Dealer and Twitter.

I tried to trade the Focus in at another manufactures dealership.
$ 8000 for a 06/2013 Trend with 30000 k.
It seems the word is out
the trade in price alone is cause for concern. Can't wait for the website.

i have a focus sport (2012) model, i had my clutch replaced close to a year ago. When i got it back it was great, it drove better than when i got it new. Slowly but surely it started jumping and lurching and when at low speeds i could hear and feel the shudder.

In any case, an auto should be a smooth drive, i dont care what anyone says.

On a possibly related point, for some reason it seems to be a hell of a lot worse when i use E10 fuel, since i have put non E10 its been better but not great. I even saw on another thread that tyre pressure seemed to reduce the symptoms. Is there any logical reason for any of this?

In any case, i have to do a lot of driving in the 0-60km/h range and this car is just awful for that purpose.
alokin123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post