Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-04-2023, 05:09 PM   #31
prydey
Rob

Default Re: New family daily

Can't imagine this would happen too often but I also agree with Franco.

If I had up to $60k to spend I would at least look at new gen ranger, even if it's a lesser model.

Base model means a lot less these days than what it used to. Once upon a time you had to get the upper models to get all the features but not any more. Base model has pretty much everything you need and most things you want.

I would definitely at least give it a look.

When we bought our Escape (base model) we also looked at the previous model (used) in top level spec, and still bought the new one. It missed out on nothing the old car had.

New gen Ranger deserves a look at least.
Old 01-04-2023, 07:44 PM   #32
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How’s the Escape going?
Kms done?
Avg fuel economy?

I reckon they are an underrrated car but heard in town heavy on fuel
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2023, 07:59 PM   #33
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
How’s the Escape going?
Kms done?
Avg fuel economy?

I reckon they are an underrrated car but heard in town heavy on fuel
Escape is awesome. Just turned 2 last month. Done around 18k km I think. I rarely drive it so not sure of the exact economy numbers but think it's in the high 9's, but ave speed is also quite low. It mainly does school bus duties (less than 2k away) and shopping trolley duties (less than 1km away) and church on Sundays. I can say it's driven by a little old lady too because my wife doesn't browse this forum, haha.
Old 01-04-2023, 08:13 PM   #34
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Can't imagine this would happen too often but I also agree with Franco.

If I had up to $60k to spend I would at least look at new gen ranger, even if it's a lesser model.

Base model means a lot less these days than what it used to. Once upon a time you had to get the upper models to get all the features but not any more. Base model has pretty much everything you need and most things you want.

I would definitely at least give it a look.

When we bought our Escape (base model) we also looked at the previous model (used) in top level spec, and still bought the new one. It missed out on nothing the old car had.

New gen Ranger deserves a look at least.
I drove an XLS as a service loan car, the cabin is pretty bland at this level but it's hardly a baren base model of old, the price reflects that I suppose.

And..................

An XL with vinyl flooring would be a godsend with children I reckon, not to mention if you go to the beach or camping regularly. Nothing is easier to clean the vinyl floors
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2023, 10:08 PM   #35
Swordie

This looks alright.

Ranger 2022 Double Cab - $48,990 (ex govt charges). 2.0L 6,699km. It would have balance of 5 year warranty.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...20870359/?Cr=1

Last edited by Swordie; 01-04-2023 at 10:13 PM.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-04-2023, 10:15 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Then option up wheels, bull bar, spotlights and all the other accessories you want and no one else will know it's a povvo spec model
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2023, 10:31 PM   #37
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
This looks alright.

Ranger 2022 Double Cab - $48,990 (ex govt charges). 2.0L 6,699km. It would have balance of 5 year warranty.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...20870359/?Cr=1
It's not the bi-turbo. Just single turbo and 6 speed. I believe it does the job similar to how the previous 2.2 'did the job', but normally only bought as a work vehicle rather than private.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:50 PM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
It's not the bi-turbo. Just single turbo and 6 speed. I believe it does the job similar to how the previous 2.2 'did the job', but normally only bought as a work vehicle rather than private.
Biturbo is available on Ford website build and price in 4x4 just under $60K DA in XLS I think
Old 03-04-2023, 11:28 AM   #39
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
Is Triton of interest? It comes with a long warranty.

Seems like second hand Hilux 4x4 can be purchased with low 100,000 km range in the mid $40's.
Honestly, havent even considered the tritons only due to reputation. Are their latest offerings comparable to the higher spec rnagers and hilux's?

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2023, 12:12 PM   #40
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys View Post
Honestly, havent even considered the tritons only due to reputation. Are their latest offerings comparable to the higher spec rnagers and hilux's?
Not even close.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2023, 05:00 PM   #41
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My old man has had a 2018 Triton GLS Manual since new. He paid $42k d/a with tub liner and 3 pce hard cover and apart from normal servicing and a set of tyres its cost him nothing and been reliable as hell. Is it as good as the equivalent ranger? Nope; but was the ranger worth $25k more for the equivalent at the time? Again, Nope.

What I will say though is that the Ranger is a larger vehicle so the interior, especially rear seats, aren't anywhere near as spacious in the Triton. The 2.4 Diesel has less power and torque as well so ranger will be a better performer. I have never found the Triton to be underpowered though...

These days, Triton is pretty much the same car as my dads (apart from the new look front end) and the Next Gen ranger has taken another step forward so the Ranger is the much better ute, you will just pay for the pleasure..

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2023, 10:15 PM   #42
Swordie

Quote:
I don't really know what there reputation is. I saw a review of it against allot of other utes on the video below. The Ranger won the comparison.

2022 4WD UTE COMPARISON - CONTROVERSIAL WINNER! NEW Ranger vs Hilux vs DMAX vs Triton vs LDV v BT-50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHDpc-DEp4g

If you have a Mitsubishi dealer close by it be worth dropping in and having a look at one. Their web site allows you to build and configure your own, this could help understand how it stacks up.

Last edited by GasoLane; 03-04-2023 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Fixed Video
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2023, 06:17 AM   #43
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

how have you gone to date r b m ?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2023, 07:19 AM   #44
myrpo

Quote:
I wouldn't put a ranger in the same bag as a hilux. Actually I wouldn't put anything in the same bag as a Toyota. They are boring but hard to beat of reliability.

I'd chuck 10k at the old hilux, 15 if you have to. It will go past whatever you spend 50 to 60K on. Not very sexy or glamorous I know, but that would be my call. Especially if you trust the mechanic.

For transparency's sake I drive a 2019 Pajero. So far very good. Out back, beach, or city.
myrpo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2023, 09:02 PM   #45
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Don't get a Triton. It will let you down.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2023, 05:58 PM   #46
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
how have you gone to date r b m ?
Still looking as to whats around. In reference to the maintenance required on said hilux, the tailgate unlatched, with the dog in the back who took a tumble, poor bugger. I had put that cable on back burner and we just returned from a short holiday and my wife was picking up our dog. But no news on a new car as yet. Will clean the hilux up a little and assess.

Current
Previous

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 02-05-2023, 06:49 PM   #47
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Still looking as to whats around. In reference to the maintenance required on said hilux, the tailgate unlatched, with the dog in the back who took a tumble, poor bugger. I had put that cable on back burner and we just returned from a short holiday and my wife was picking up our dog. But no news on a new car as yet. Will clean the hilux up a little and assess.
Guess that is why the dog should be restrained in the ute back.Some people have no idea how things can go wrong very quickly
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2023, 06:53 PM   #48
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:

Lucky nothing happened to the poor fella.
Your a patient man or too busy, when I’ve made my mind up to shop I get it over and done with haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2023, 10:12 AM   #49
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post

Guess that is why the dog should be restrained in the ute back.Some people have no idea how things can go wrong very quickly
Pros and Cons to restraining a dog down. Ive seen a dog on a chain hang from on it on the side of a tub after falling out the side. My dogs 15 and the first time hes come out and this was a maintenance issue and my blunder. We used to tie our dogs down but the leashes would get tangled.

Current
Previous

Old 03-05-2023, 10:28 AM   #50
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Lucky nothing happened to the poor fella.
Your a patient man or too busy, when I’ve made my mind up to shop I get it over and done with haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I havent stopped window shopping Were in the process of selling a property and mobilising cash from that sale to purchase outright which is why it hasnt actually happened. Purchasers pulled out in the last 2hrs of cooling down period a few weeks back, and our short holiday was half planned to return in a new car. Is what it is, but shouldnt be too far off.

Not much around atm in terms of desired model with accessories. A '19 PXIII Wildtrack i had an eye on at the right price with metal bull bar, lights, racks, cage etc. was pulled from the market. But a well priced 21 PXIII wildtrack just turned up in Pt Lincoln, albeit no accessories, but under 20kms. Might go have a sniff. We have a local ironman and arb dealer

Current
Previous

Old 05-05-2023, 10:14 AM   #51
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I started toying with the idea of modifying the hilux with a decent bullbar, lights, hard lid, suspension, wheel/tyres, audio and maintenance overhaul. Presented this to the wife who said she had been excited for a new car now. I guess theres no turning back now. Was hoping to keep some funds to attend to the F6x which is in desperate need of paint correction and new bonnet. Local ford dealer brought in 4x 21' PXIII all at or around 20kms at a decent runout price. Wnder if these will sell before financial year ends when i might pick up a timely bargain. Theyre all factory spec but under new car warranty until '26 and present well with leather, which i must say would be great for kids.

Current
Previous

Old 05-05-2023, 11:12 AM   #52
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I started toying with the idea of modifying the hilux with a decent bullbar, lights, hard lid, suspension, wheel/tyres, audio and maintenance overhaul. Presented this to the wife who said she had been excited for a new car now. I guess theres no turning back now. Was hoping to keep some funds to attend to the F6x which is in desperate need of paint correction and new bonnet. Local ford dealer brought in 4x 21' PXIII all at or around 20kms at a decent runout price. Wnder if these will sell before financial year ends when i might pick up a timely bargain. Theyre all factory spec but under new car warranty until '26 and present well with leather, which i must say would be great for kids.
Wait until it is closer to the end of the month (or financial year) when they want to get their numbers up.
Old 30-06-2023, 05:07 PM   #53
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

UPDATE: Were keeping the Hilux. Spoke to a local 4x4 specialist. He said he loves the D3 motors and hilux's and encouraged us to keep ours claiming we were unlikely to see any gains from a later model - particualrly ranger or another hilux. We have replaced all suspension components with approx. 1" lift from factory, new cooper at3 on factory 17" wheels. Its had a bunch of maintenance work too inc. fuel pump, main drive belt, clutch belt and alternator . I have sourced a hard lid in the colour for $150, puchased an ozi 4x4 bull bar made from 4mm steel - full bumper replacement with led fogs. Next will be light bar and a double din stereo. Car curently driving like new, and easier to manouver than the terrirory. Costs so far 8-8.5k.

Current
Previous

Last edited by raised by monkeys; 30-06-2023 at 05:23 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2023, 04:30 PM   #54
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good decision.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2023, 09:03 PM   #55
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mounted this bull bar from ozi 4x4 this weekend

Current
Previous

Old 02-07-2023, 09:23 PM   #56
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:

Mounted this bull bar from ozi 4x4 this weekend

Chuck new headlights in and it will look so fresh

You doing the headunit properly? Toyota widescreen so that there isn’t trim pieces?
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2023, 09:33 PM   #57
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

+1 on the headlights, go the genuine items so you know the lense inside are actually decent rather than aftermarket jobs where you can't see ****.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:17 PM   #58
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I restored these 12mths ago with the McGuiers lens restorer kit. Looked good for about 3mths. Will source new lenses in the coming weeks

Current
Previous

Old 02-07-2023, 10:21 PM   #59
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
Chuck new headlights in and it will look so fresh

You doing the headunit properly? Toyota widescreen so that there isn’t trim pieces?
Unlikely, unless they’re not costly. The aerpro double din kit, patch leads and basic double din with Apple careplay that retains SW controls is about $600.

Current
Previous

Old 03-07-2023, 03:42 PM   #60
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
UPDATE: Were keeping the Hilux. Spoke to a local 4x4 specialist. He said he loves the D3 motors and hilux's and encouraged us to keep ours claiming we were unlikely to see any gains from a later model - particualrly ranger or another hilux. We have replaced all suspension components with approx. 1" lift from factory, new cooper at3 on factory 17" wheels. Its had a bunch of maintenance work too inc. fuel pump, main drive belt, clutch belt and alternator . I have sourced a hard lid in the colour for $150, puchased an ozi 4x4 bull bar made from 4mm steel - full bumper replacement with led fogs. Next will be light bar and a double din stereo. Car curently driving like new, and easier to manouver than the terrirory. Costs so far 8-8.5k.
Can add new starter motor and battery to that list as of today

Current
Previous

2 users like this post: