Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 23-02-2011, 03:15 AM   #1
dre fgf6
Banned

Default What do you do for a living??

I have started this thread to guage what people are earning locally and the conditions in which they work.

Im not seeking employer names but you can add them if you wish.
Just a field, your salary per annum, hours worked per week.

If you could use do it something like this..

(for other info I was referring to dayshift/nightshift/weekends/isolated location)

Job Title:
Field of employment:
Hours worked per week:
Annual salary:

Other conditions (if any):
Pros:
Cons:

Please do not post rubbish on here. I am hoping to use this as a tool to help understand what the "average income" has really become.

Old 23-02-2011, 03:35 AM   #2
remps88
Twin Banger

well, im 19. i work at the wodonga regional distributiion centre for woolworths.

basically, its the distribution centre for all safeway/woolies stores in vic and nsw and some of qld. we have every product go through us.

im on level 2 pay, level 1 is casual, $21.50, im on $24.00 an hour...

i choose my own shifts, i have to work every saturday morning from 6-10, and every monday 9:30 till 6pm... so 12 hours, but i can choose any other days to work, what time i start, and how long i work for, up to 50 hours a week.

saturdays, we get 25% loading on our pay, and 75% on sundays.

public holidays we earn normal wage if we do not show up for our rostered shifts, but if we come in on our rostered days, we earn $100 an hour roughly.

its pretty good, a lot of heavy lifting. but for a young bloke its good.

think thats basically it. pretty good. but im in the process of retiring at the moment, im gonna move down to melbourne and change careers. new start, etc.

would be cool to see some others.

remps.

2006 EGO bf xr6. 6spd manual. 19 inch Dark Agent wheels. pedders lowered shocks and springs. full extractors and 3 inch exhaust. dvd player. 2x12inch alpine subs. leather seats. xr6 turbo intake. reverse sensors.

2007 CBR600rr. black and grey, acropovic exhaust, shorty levers, and the ability to take on a lambo in a 0-100 race.
Old 23-02-2011, 03:42 AM   #3
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Job Title: Real estate agent
Field of employment: Real estate
Hours worked per week: Varies
Annual salary: Varies

Pros: Flexible working hours
Cons:Some weekends

Last year.

Job Title: Mechanic
Field of employment: Auto industry
Hours worked per week: 38
Annual salary: 65k
Old 23-02-2011, 03:47 AM   #4
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

- warehouse storeman
- usual 40 hour week. overtime shows up here & there, sometimes alot, often nothing...but pretty random & unexpected.

-currently on the arvo shift...gets me a touch under 45K per year...but i'm going back to the dayshift in 2 days...will get me a bit under 40K per year. i hate to lose the cash, bills are mounting...but less muppets on the daytime roster & i won't have miss the tv broadcast of the NRL season this year

pros : packing boxes & loading pallets i do enjoy...wandering around the warehouses playing music on the ipod while i do so...getting lost in my own world i enjoy very much

cons : having to co-exist with people who can't stack pallets if their lives depended on it makes my day tougher, same people thinking i'm getting helped out by management...when simply i'm just a faster/more efficient worker
: a warehouse is a big tin shed, so summers are a little on the warm side...and i'm like a polar bear who loves the cold more than most of his mates.
: lots of heavy lifting involved...so being sick or injured mostly means time off rather than working through it

previously...AUII Futura, BAII XR6T ute, BFII XT, BF XR6...with a holden barina & a renault clio thown in at times of financial crisis
Old 23-02-2011, 04:00 AM   #5
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Field of Employment: Security
Hours worked: 42hrs per week average, done over a 3 month period. (12hr shifts). So some weeks i might work 24hrs, the next it might be crazy like 60hrs.
Salary: Varies, but minimum is 90k. Upwards of 100k with some OT. Some make 130+ but it depends on the person.

Pros: 12hr shifts, so only really required to attend work about 13 shifts per month at a maximum (after RDOs and Mandatory rest days, obviously i do more days if i work OT). I get plenty of time off though, so i love it.

Cons: Work every second weekend, and have to do a mix of days and nights. but with RDOs and Mandatory Rest Days, i get part of one of those weekends off.

Last edited by jimmyxr6t04; 23-02-2011 at 04:16 AM.
Old 23-02-2011, 04:04 AM   #6
dre fgf6
Banned

I used to work in a warehouse. Really enjoyed it!

Job Title: Operations supervisor
Field of employment: Confectionary manufacturing
Hours worked per week:36 (12 hrs 3 on 4 off) + occasional extra o/t day.
Annual salary: 120k

Other conditions (if any): Nightshift 6pm-6am
Pros:great hours, clean workplace, great staff, state of the art machinery, interesting.
Cons: Eat too much rubbish. The last shift of the week feels like a 20 hour shift, can be hard to sleep in summer (not so much lately)
Old 23-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #7
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by remps88
well, im 19. i work at the wodonga regional distributiion centre for woolworths.

basically, its the distribution centre for all safeway/woolies stores in vic and nsw and some of qld. we have every product go through us.

im on level 2 pay, level 1 is casual, $21.50, im on $24.00 an hour...

i choose my own shifts, i have to work every saturday morning from 6-10, and every monday 9:30 till 6pm... so 12 hours, but i can choose any other days to work, what time i start, and how long i work for, up to 50 hours a week.

saturdays, we get 25% loading on our pay, and 75% on sundays.

public holidays we earn normal wage if we do not show up for our rostered shifts, but if we come in on our rostered days, we earn $100 an hour roughly.

its pretty good, a lot of heavy lifting. but for a young bloke its good.

think thats basically it. pretty good. but im in the process of retiring at the moment, im gonna move down to melbourne and change careers. new start, etc.

would be cool to see some others.

remps.

Your job would pay about $10/hr here in the States.....if you're lucky.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Old 23-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
EF
Formerly gt.4.me

Landrover 1st year apprentice
Hours 7-6 5 days a week
Pay 7.10 an hour :( on a good week I make 400

Pros- get to work on jag and landrovers
Cons- long hours
Old 23-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Job Title: Technical Support/Sales
Field of employment: Telstra Shop (Company Owned)
Hours worked per week: 36.5
Annual salary: 36k + 1-1.5k Commission/mth

Pros: Discounts
Cons: Staff hour cuts have left us with too much work and not enough staff.
Old 23-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre fgf6
I have started this thread to guage what people are earning locally and the conditions in which they work.

Im not seeking employer names but you can add them if you wish.
Just a field, your salary per annum, hours worked per week.

If you could use do it something like this..

(for other info I was referring to dayshift/nightshift/weekends/isolated location)

Job Title:
Field of employment:
Hours worked per week:
Annual salary:

Pros:
Cons:

Please do not post rubbish on here. I am hoping to use this as a tool to help understand what the "average income" has really become.
So you're going to work out the average wage from a bunch of people on a forum, and what, ignore the data from the ABS or DEEWR?

I realise that participation in this thread is voluntary, but my best mates probably have no idea how much I earn, so no way I will be posting it here.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 23-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #11
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Job Title: Production Operator
Field of employment: Mining
Hours worked per week: Depends on roster, min 38 max 48. + O/T
Annual salary: $130K+ OT + Bonuses

Pros: $$$, good roster
Cons: Hours, few days of not seeing kids/wife

Wifes Job

Job Title: HR Manager
Field of employment: HR
Hours worked per week: Avg about 30 or so
Annual salary: $80k+

Last edited by GT 160; 23-02-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 23-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #12
73XBGT

Well im 24, an on the road sales rep/handyman/warehousing (all in one job)

Job Title: Sales Representative
Field of employment: Tim The Toyman
Hours worked per week: varies from 30 to 40 hours per week
Annual salary: 42k

Pros: Company credit card, take-home company vehicle 2010 mercedes sprinter truck, and $40 of phone credit re-imbursed every month.

Cons: having to stay overnight in motels for 1 to 2 nights every few weeks for interstate trips.

Yet I hate my job because its not enough wages to put money into my car

The Daily: 2003 FPV BA GT-P mk1 (Build #410) silhouette black, leather/suede, auto 4 speed, SCT X4 flash tuned, BluePower racing developments cold air intake, Headers>high flow cats>HiTech “bionic” dual 2.5” stainless system catback
Old 23-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
buggo
[BU66OS]

Job Title: McDonalds
Field of employment:food service
Hours worked per week:30-40+ depending on the roster/+ o.t
Annual salary: On target for about $25k this finance yr

Other conditions (if any): Shift work, early mornings, all day, late night, all night, weekends. And I get them all :(
Pros: Decent (for my age, living at home) and constant pay while I was going to school, doing study now till I get a real job. You can always go to work and have a laugh with the boys.
Cons: The air quality at the back is no good. Hot, oily air with minimum ventalation is no good at all. On any day it is atleast 10c-20c hotter than outside, it gets hot in summer. There's no windows at the back, a bit stark.
Some of the 'rules' that are set just shouldn't be imo, some managers beleive we are tools used to make a burger, not kids looking to earn some cash.
No loading on weekends, overnight loading is about an extra $1/hr between 1am-5am.
When we ask for a '10 minute drink break' that is in our contract, the manager gets riled up saying man up blah blah blah. No one out the back has had one for over a year, yet the girls out the front get them all the time.
IDK I'm starting to rant, I'll just say I'm there because I have a steady income, but can't wait to grow up and get out of there, I won't miss it one bit.

BA XR8 Manual
Old 23-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #14
KITBAG

Job Title: Design engineer
Field of employment: Optical fibre / Torque wrench tools
Annual salary: 75K+
Pros: Play on internet all day
Cons: Waiting 8 hours to go home
Old 23-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #15
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I work in the finance call centre for one of the companies that rents household goods, taking the finance application and assessing it, and either approving or declining the application.

Job Title: Finance Consultant
Field of employment: Retail Finance
Hours worked per week: Being part time, contract minimum is 36/fortnight. However, I have not worked a fortnight of less than about 65 hours, in fact the one just gone I did about 80 hours!
Annual salary: Approx $22ish/hour. Plus I get some bonuses & commissions on top.

Pros: Half decent bonuses, good discounts on products, being part time means I can ask for a few less hours if I want.
Cons: Working every second weekend. Our office is only closed 3 public holidays each year, the rest is up to luck whether or not the boss rosters you on.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 23-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #16
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Job title: Yardhand.
Field of employment: Timber and building supply industry.
annual salary: 27k.
Pros: security, good people in the workplace, not a high stress job.
Cons: low pay, no chance to move anywhere in the company, low pay.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 23-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #17
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Is this cause I kicked up a stink in that other thread???

Job Title: IT Support and Design
Field of employment: IT/Construction
Hours worked per week: Paid for 38 but work up to 45
Annual salary: $50k + fuel

Pros: Get left alone majority of the time
Cons: Get left alone majority of the time, deadlines, dealing with non computer literate people
Old 23-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #18
sleek7

Job Title: Project Officer
Field of employment: IT
Annual salary: 59k (will be rising 3% each year for the next 3 years.)

Pros: Sitting down, inside job. Warm in winter, cool in summer.
Cons: Finding it boring as bat ***** at the moment, cant wait til 5 comes around. I'm finding it more of a drag these days and really lacking in challenging work :/
Old 23-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #19
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile

Job Title: Maintenance Team Leader/Business Improvement Advisor (12 month Secondment)
Field of employment: Mining
Hours worked per week: 84 for the Maintenance Team Leader role on a 2week on 2week off roster, 54 for the Business Improvement Advisor
Annual salary: $150k plus

Other conditions (if any):Even time roster
Pros: Even time roster. Plenty of time at home with the family, Workplace is close to home, good conditions/pay/employee benefits. I can afford toys.
Cons:Lots of travel to and from site, time away from home, the tax man loves me. Cost of living where I live.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
Old 23-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #20
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Job Title: Engineering Technical Officer
Field of employment: Construction
Hours worked per week: 40 hours
Annual salary: $46k

Other conditions (if any): Sometimes get out on the tools
Pros: Easy work, flexible hours, good people, small office, latest & greatest software (Acad 2011, microstran, windows 7, office 2010, etc)
Cons: Still learning Structural (previous 5 years civil experience), only decent lunch spot close is the mobil servo

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 23-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #21
Trevor 57
is now there

Job Title: Vocational Teacher
Field of employment: Logistics- transport
Hours worked per week: 38 (with only 30 of those required at the workplace)
Annual salary:$70,000 - $80,000

Pros: 42 weeks compulsory attendance at the workplace, 6 weeks of non-compulsory attendance, but time is to be accounted for (read: not holidays), good wages for a regional job, Government job, flexible work hours and conditions, access to fantastic union health fund, no weekend or shift work

Cons: Lack of security, no customers - no job, same as everywhere.
Old 23-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #22
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Job Title: - SAP HCM Consultant
Field of employment:Consulting IT Services
Hours worked per week:35-60 and a few times a year around 80-100 hours (financial year end)
Annual salary: $1250 a day contract only. average around 220-230 days a year

Pros: I work my hours. Huge demand for my skills. Some days I am just an insurance policy to have in the office, get to play on the net. Take long lunches. Everyone buys you coffee. THE MONEY!!!.

Cons: Travel can be a killer sometimes if you work on multiple projects. Have done 18 weeks fly in fly out to NZ. 8 flights in a single week. Time away from the family and friends. Dealing with knobs that have no idea. Paperwork and red tape. Having clients that expect too much. Being paid so much everyone wants their pound of flesh and expect you to work 18 hours a day.

Craig
Old 23-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #23
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt.4.me
Landrover 1st year apprentice
Hours 7-6 5 days a week
Pay 7.10 an hour :( on a good week I make 400

Pros- get to work on jag and landrovers
Cons- long hours
Heh, I wouldn't call that a pro! Which dealership?

Oo\===/oO
Old 23-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #24
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Job Title-Horse Breaker/Trainer (Thoroughbreds)
Hours- varies about 80 hrs
salary-Just enough to cover bills and buy a beer.

Pros Self employed
Cons 7 days a week (No days off ever)

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Old 23-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #25
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
Job Title: - SAP HCM Consultant
Field of employment:Consulting IT Services
Hours worked per week:35-60 and a few times a year around 80-100 hours (financial year end)
Annual salary: $1250 a day contract only. average around 220-230 days a year

Pros: I work my hours. Huge demand for my skills. Some days I am just an insurance policy to have in the office, get to play on the net. Take long lunches. Everyone buys you coffee. THE MONEY!!!.

Cons: Travel can be a killer sometimes if you work on multiple projects. Have done 18 weeks fly in fly out to NZ. 8 flights in a single week. Time away from the family and friends. Dealing with knobs that have no idea. Paperwork and red tape. Having clients that expect too much. Being paid so much everyone wants their pound of flesh and expect you to work 18 hours a day.
The $ associated with contracting are great. However, during my 10 years contracting what can be difficult is the "contractor - permie divide" as I call it.

Anything where you are dealing with changes or decommission of legacy systems is a real pain in the rear. People are very protective of systems.

They know we make a bit "more" and loathe that fact.

6 of those years were contracting in the UK when the exchnage rate hovered around $2.35-$2.6 AUD for every 1 GBP

Contractors of the world unite
Old 23-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #26
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Job Title: AFF Mod
Field of employment: Moderation
Hours worked per week: 168 hours
Annual salary: For the love of it

Other conditions (if any): Can sit on my bum and read posts all day
Pros: Lots
Cons: Lots

While some might be comfortable putting there details in this thread for the world to see, I am sorry but I don't feel comfortable in allowing it. It is very personal what people earn and while some have volunteered this information, showing actual wages on a such a public area doesn't sit well with me. If you want to tell the OP your wage and please PM him ......

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread