Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-07-2023, 03:04 PM   #1
Brodes
Brodes

Default GPS Tracker for classic

Hi all, after recommendations for GPS trackers to fit in a classic. I see a few for sale, but wanted to get opinions from those of you who've used them.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 16-07-2023, 04:29 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: GPS Tracker for classic

Back in the day customer supplied me one to fit to their R33 GTS-T where it had GPS tracking, it had a sim inside it where if you texted it you could do a few options to control some functionality.

It would give you its GPS coordinates and show it on Google maps for you, as well as be able to send it SMS messages to control some relays it had,

We wired it up so it could open the fuel pump relay (under 40km/h) to disable the car.

I can't remember what system it was, but it was pretty nice.

It will stop working next year when Telstra turns off its 3G network

If you go for something with those features, worth making sure it supports 4G/5G network so you have a long life of this product.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-07-2023, 05:54 PM   #3
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

I have one of these on my motorbike: https://monimoto.com/product/tracker-monimoto-7/

Yeah it is for a motorbike but it's a small plain black box and you can hide it anywhere (with the proviso it can get a GPS signal). It would be easier to hide in a car than a bike...

Takes 2x Lithium AA cells that last a year, this makes it independant of vehicle power.

Has an inbuilt eSIM that costs $79/year in an ongoing subscription after the two month 'free' period expires.

Very very sensitive, if you move the bike and the key fob is not near the bike expect an automated phone call, then an offer to track the vehicle.

As an example I had my bike serviced, tracker alerted me when the guys rolled it into the dealership. Also moved my bike less than its own length to get something off the floor underneath it and it went off again.

It does need a GPS fix and a local phone tower to work. I live in a rural area and the bike is in a shed...within another shed. I'm also about 10km in a straight line from the tower, which is above me. I get an alert every few days telling me it's lost signal. No drama. The time it went off when I moved it the bike was actually in its shed...

Once when they were working on the local tower the company offshore emailed me telling me my bike had gone offline, customer support is excellent.

I'd highly recommend it for car use as well as motorbike...

...they do make a car version.

Last edited by Ratmick; 16-07-2023 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Added info
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2023, 12:13 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Back in the day customer supplied me one to fit to their R33 GTS-T where it had GPS tracking, it had a sim inside it where if you texted it you could do a few options to control some functionality.

It would give you its GPS coordinates and show it on Google maps for you, as well as be able to send it SMS messages to control some relays it had,

We wired it up so it could open the fuel pump relay (under 40km/h) to disable the car.

I can't remember what system it was, but it was pretty nice.

It will stop working next year when Telstra turns off its 3G network

If you go for something with those features, worth making sure it supports 4G/5G network so you have a long life of this product.

I have the 4G version of this in my GTE and F6E. Here’s a link:

https://shop.mictrack.com/product/4g...er-mt600-plus/

Does alerts and I’ve set mine up to cut fuel pump on command (by sms).

Esay to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: