Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-01-2017, 10:36 PM   #1
banditbuster
Starter Motor

Default AU 3 problem

my 2002 au falcon ute wont start today. last week I renewed the coil pack and leads, it made a difference and the old girl was running well. a few days ago though while driving along it all of a sudden started to miss and sound like a VW at the same time the taco went dead. next time I started it up taco came back to life still but still missing. I did a compression test all well, new plugs, injectors clicking, take off leads all except number one seemed to matter. all leads secure and in the right position. still starts but still missing with new plugs. took of neg battery to tighten it more while thinking now car still turns over but wont fire up. any ideas folks, early on I was thinking water in fuel or the 100k worn plugs, that taco stopping when it first happened sounds suspect??? , any advice folks Cheers and happy new year. Thankyou
banditbuster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 11:36 PM   #2
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Default Re: AU 3 problem

Was it a beef or chicken taco? Sorry mate I couldn't help myself.

I can't help but one of the experts here may be able to chime in.

Last edited by gossy; 11-01-2017 at 11:43 PM.
gossy is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 05:58 AM   #3
banditbuster
Starter Motor

oh, where's the "h" gone? Ha... Tacho, Tacho, Tacho. Cheers
Old 12-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #4
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Its not in safe mode?
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #5
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi mate, when you disconnected the negative battery cable, the bem & smartshield may have stopped communicating unfortunately. Do a AFF search, punch in "au smartshield problem" & see what comes up.

I have a AU1, not familiar with AU2, so hopefully other members with experience on this matter will chime in soon, also while your at it, check your inlet manifold bolts are tight & secure, good luck!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 09:01 AM   #6
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

There is probably a clue in the loss of the tacho feed data but perhaps (given the cause and effect mantra) go back and check all the connections on the items you replaced last week to be certain.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2017, 09:15 AM   #7
banditbuster
Starter Motor

thanks Russ, I have double checked everything I touched , also have done some voltage/resistance checks and so far all seems okay. has me stumped at this time, cranking it over I don't seem to have spark at any plugs, weather or not you can hear the spark jumping from the disconnected lead normally..before that...I sprayed some fuel into the throttle body but no go so I guess its not fuel related... i'll check a few more things when I get back from work later today. Cheers
Old 12-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #8
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Possibly a sensor. I would look at cam sync and crank angle sensors.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 10:24 AM   #9
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Stuffed ECU.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #10
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Any symbols flashing in your dash at startup?

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 08:04 PM   #11
banditbuster
Starter Motor

i have checked the crank sensor resistance and it seems okay. I had the battery on charge all day and when I hooked it up and turn the ignition on "BASE" flashed a few times then eventually the odometer appeared in its place. cranked it over, gave a little splutter but no go.....nothing else unusual displays or flashes...the battery symbol dose flash when turning over the engine.....bad earth somewhere?

'
Old 15-01-2017, 09:37 AM   #12
banditbuster
Starter Motor

an update, had no power to the coil pack, I thought low fuel pressure may be the reason the ECU wont allow it to fire up, could not hear the fuel pump run when ignition turned on, gave the fuel tank a belt with a piece of wood, BINGO she started straight away, still missing number one cylinder but intermittent . would not turn over after a short drive, bang the fuel tank again , she started straight away. will be taking the tray off for access to change the pump....
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2017, 10:09 AM   #13
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day....That's awesome..SORT OF...Dodgey fuel pump most likely..
I have an AU ll...Love the old girl to bits..not a ute though .. the sedan..
The fuel pumps are a bit of a job to get to on the utes compared to the sedan but aren't too expensive..Just thought I'd post this .. Admittedly it's for the BA but may or may not help with the job https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OALQYeaTZM .. With mine if/when it goes west in the AU and BA and onwards in the cars , it's accessible by removing the rear seat. If you watch this vid you'll be amazed by how much crap is in the tank and how clogged the fine filters are on the pump...Kind of scary ...Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 15-01-2017 at 10:23 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: