Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 
Default Snake Oil Sales Men and Other Charletons

Recently our site experienced a visit with offers to everyone of a product made using "hand picked seasoned" "virgin blocks". Whatever, that may be. Never heard of a used virgin.

I developed some curiosity when we were informed Jegs, Summit and Eagle distributed their products and for some reason this was supposed to give this outfit some credibility.

Being curious now, I decided to look for other snake oil carried by either Jegs or Summit the next time I received one of their flyers. Bingo, that happened today. Right on the front cover were these innovative looking spark plugs called E3 Spark Plugs. Just look at how impressive they are:

http://www.jegs.com/p/E3-Spark-Plugs...tm_content=Tub

Quote:
Increases engine power 8% to 12% over conventional spark plugs!

The unique patented electrode configuration of the E3 spark plug increases the amount of combustion pressure created during each power stroke of an engine, which results in a marked increase in power output, fuel economy, and reduced emissions in all gasoline engines. E3 Spark Plugs are Sold (each).
Powerful and Impressive Ignition Picture Cited Here:

(I wonder where the "Artist's Rendering" footnote is?)

Techno Product Picture Cited Here:

(Clearly a highly advanced piece of engineering and design)

Quote:
Features:
Produces up to 12% more power, reducing fuel consumption by up to 13% while cutting harmful toxic emissions up to 58%
By reducing carbon deposits, your engine will run cleaner and smoother and last longer
Edge-to-Edge design concentrates spark energy for easier starts in all weather conditions

Do you already have another manufacturer's part number?
See the E3 Spark Plug Cross Reference Chart
They have such fantastic claims. Where have I been, under a rock somewhere?

I then checked Summit and sure as the world they have similar claims.

Hmmmm? Surely the folks at SpeedTalk and YellowBullet must be all over this modern marvel. How could I have possibly missed such a leap forward for mankind and a sure guarantee of continued life for the IC engine? I had to check the 2 aforementioned sites.

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22151

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=115392

Odd. I was expecting these places to be plastered with threads about phenomenal power and fuel utilization improvements with these plugs.

What gives? Two threads in two sites? well YB has another post in a second thread.

Looks like a couple lawn mowers improved their use of fuel.

I like a couple of Joe Sherman's comments. Joe is a well known and respected engine builders in the states and a competitor at Engine Masters. Joe was actually sponsored by E3. They put 2,500 bucks in his pocket too run their plugs in competition. Here is what he had to say:

Quote:

bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Re: E3 DiamondFire Spark Plugs

Post by bigjoe1 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:08 pm
I ran some for a test on a 502 BB Chevy a few months ago=== As near as I could tell, They LOST four horsepower over the NGK that I allway run== Another gimic I would say==

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
==============================================
Re: E3 DiamondFire Spark Plugs

Post by bigjoe1 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:51 pm
When I won the Engines Masters contest I also used the plugs that paid money== They lost 4 or 5 HP over the NGK plugs I usually run in everything, but 2500 dollars they paid was worth it

JOE SHERMAN RACING
There are a couple of other comments back and forth, but, unfortunately no
Quote:
12% more power, reducing fuel consumption by up to 13%.
Then I started remembering some of the ads I used to see in the J.C. Whitney catalog when I was young. There was something called a "Mini Supercharge" that I saw in 2 configurations. You could get one that mounted under the crab or get one that mounted over the carb. Could not find any images of those adds. However, I found pictures of what looks like the "real thing"

Look at that precision machine work ! Especially around the "turbine housing".

Sine spark plugs were part of the initial subject, I had to search for the surface gap Fire Injector spark plugs offered by J.C. Whitney.

In all fairness, IIRC there was a similar type of surface gap plug that worked "somewhat" in oil fouled conditions...I think?

Then I found a link to Hemmings with a couple pages of products scientifically guaranteed to separate the buyer from their money. Providing the URL as the images are too big.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/1...hrunken-heads/

What kind of snake oil has been offered to the Australian consumers over the years?

Cheers
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Snake Oil Sales Men and Other Charletons

Hiclone comes to mind.

Those E3 plugs looks so good I might use them in my diesel.

Last edited by roKWiz; 01-04-2018 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Hiclone spelling
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #3
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Peter Brock’s Energy Polariser
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2018, 06:41 PM   #4
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Bazinga, happy April fools day!!

The shrouding on those plug tips would seriously affect flame propagation in the combustion chamber, yes?

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Well that's just stuffed it, I was going to sell him some of this............with free shipping to 'murrica.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The Twin Turbo Zet
Manufacturer's Claims:

Increases engine acceleration power up to 30 per cent
Fuel savings up to 30 per cent
Reduces exhaust emissions up to 30 per cent on gasoline engines depending on its condition
Reduces engine noise and vibrations
2 year limited warranty against defects
Value-priced compared to mechanical turbocharger
Maintenance-free

Construction:

Plastic housing with 60mm inlet and outlet tubes
Two plastic-bladed, 55mm diameter electric fans with integral 30mm diameter electric motors; appearing to the uninformed to resemble PC cooling fans
Light-gauge hookup-type wire

Cost:

$300

When connected to power:

Tiny electric fans rotate at speed similar to PC-cooling fans, creating a faint breeze

Reaction of all technical experts who examined the Twin Turbo Zet:

Extreme mirth

jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2018, 07:58 PM   #7
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Well that's just stuffed it, I was going to sell him some of this............with free shipping to 'murrica.

I'll have some if its got PTFE in it, yeah its apparently good for electronic circuits too..

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about hydrogen generators surely their not fake I'm on to my 5th one and none of them seem to work .
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2018, 10:00 PM   #9
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ebay resistor mod was a good one. 15000% profit and all it did was make it think you were running leaner (or richer - depending on the AFM system).

And who can forget the elusive, massive power gains, from the "cop chip" era of the 90s...

Funny thing about spark plugs. I've seen myriads of different designs from the teens thru to current - not only from playing around with vintage & veteran cars (and having lots of mates into them) but also because I know a collector who has thousands of them.

There have been many similar types of things tried over the years - including the dual & tri-electrodes - as individuals, rather than that cage, as well as "bullseye" plugs with a flat, round electrode in the middle, with a precision ceramic gap out to the body - so a fixed gap, and the spark eventually erodes the body away in the highest point, before jumping to the next highest etc. These were touted as lasting longer, but fouled badly.

But the common thing, is all those different arrangements of electrodes never made it past the 1960s. If they were any good, they'd still be in service today, and those E3 things look like the tri-electrodes from the 1920s.

Some of the most impressive plugs from 75+ years ago have glass bodies instead of ceramic, so you can see the combustion colour. Apparently it was good for tuning in the early days of the blue-flame 6, and impressed customers. They weren't durable enough to be left in all the time though.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2018, 10:06 PM   #10
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

might be the same sales snakeoil rep that convinced Kenworth that jet turbine motors were good for trucks

https://youtu.be/KOOfBU6Cz0c
well they didn't take off (see what I did there )
http://www.braytonenergy.net/news-an...ruck-launched/

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2018, 10:49 PM   #11
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Similar to a snakeoil politician that sold off the retail arm of Energex Qld and promised that privatisation would make prices plummet. Gone up nearly 200% since ... dang!
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2018, 11:35 PM   #12
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tablets that the seller claims increase mpg, produces more power etc etc.
They were around in the early 2000's. Fuel Freedom international or as they call themselves now Forever Freedom International. Marketing madness ripping off the gullible.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 02:43 AM   #13
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Hiclone comes to mind.

Those E3 plugs looks so good I might use them in my diesel.
I looked up the Hiclone. We had something like that here too. With so many youtube vids out there, digging up some before and after comparison tests might be funny.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:29 AM   #14
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
It's a good thing he got into the business when he did. There is a lot more competition in that technology now.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-saver-gearbox
This user likes this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 03:43 AM   #15
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:

The shrouding on those plug tips would seriously affect flame propagation in the combustion chamber, yes?

cheers, Maka
That was good timing, wasn't it?

That old stuff is absolutely hilarious when looking at it now. I remember looking at many of those ads when I was young. The J.C. Whitney Catalog was full of them. On one page you could buy factory crate motors (yes, even back then), intakes from Edelbrock, Offy, Weiand, etc, Isky Cams and lifters, etc and on the next page were these wonder gizmos.

Popular Science and Popular Mechanics were other good sources for these ads. Can't forget the "X-Ray Glasses".

It's funny to see Jegs and Summit are a modern version of the same. Buyer beware. Know what it is you are ordering.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 03:48 AM   #16
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

I absolutely need some of that. My old ZX2 is getting due for blinkers all the way around. I would prefer to extend their life.

Does that outfit still supply muffler bearing packing grease?
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 03:51 AM   #17
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post

The Twin Turbo Zet
Manufacturer's Claims:

Increases engine acceleration power up to 30 per cent
Fuel savings up to 30 per cent
Reduces exhaust emissions up to 30 per cent on gasoline engines depending on its condition
Reduces engine noise and vibrations
2 year limited warranty against defects
Value-priced compared to mechanical turbocharger
Maintenance-free

Construction:

Plastic housing with 60mm inlet and outlet tubes
Two plastic-bladed, 55mm diameter electric fans with integral 30mm diameter electric motors; appearing to the uninformed to resemble PC cooling fans
Light-gauge hookup-type wire

Cost:

$300

When connected to power:

Tiny electric fans rotate at speed similar to PC-cooling fans, creating a faint breeze

Reaction of all technical experts who examined the Twin Turbo Zet:

Extreme mirth

All that for only $300? It's a bargain. With all that extra boost, a tune is a must have !
Old 02-04-2018, 03:53 AM   #18
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
I'll have some if its got PTFE in it, yeah its apparently good for electronic circuits too..

cheers, Maka
I hope it has some PCBs too for circuit cooling.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:02 AM   #19
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunga View Post
What about hydrogen generators surely their not fake I'm on to my 5th one and none of them seem to work .
Unfortunately, I heard there is a zinc jacks shortage. This will make it very difficult for everybody to get their hydrogen form a glass of water to power their cars.

This tariff debacle is ruining a lot of good ideas like this.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:31 AM   #20
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Ebay resistor mod was a good one. 15000% profit and all it did was make it think you were running leaner (or richer - depending on the AFM system).

And who can forget the elusive, massive power gains, from the "cop chip" era of the 90s...

Funny thing about spark plugs. I've seen myriads of different designs from the teens thru to current - not only from playing around with vintage & veteran cars (and having lots of mates into them) but also because I know a collector who has thousands of them.

There have been many similar types of things tried over the years - including the dual & tri-electrodes - as individuals, rather than that cage, as well as "bullseye" plugs with a flat, round electrode in the middle, with a precision ceramic gap out to the body - so a fixed gap, and the spark eventually erodes the body away in the highest point, before jumping to the next highest etc. These were touted as lasting longer, but fouled badly.

But the common thing, is all those different arrangements of electrodes never made it past the 1960s. If they were any good, they'd still be in service today, and those E3 things look like the tri-electrodes from the 1920s.

Some of the most impressive plugs from 75+ years ago have glass bodies instead of ceramic, so you can see the combustion colour. Apparently it was good for tuning in the early days of the blue-flame 6, and impressed customers. They weren't durable enough to be left in all the time though.
Everybody needs a 60hp cop chip, right? Don't leave home without it.

Spark plugs provide a alley for the craziest ideas. It is easy to understand the experimentation during the early days of the spark IC engine. I had forgotten about the glass spark plugs. GM held onto that idea from a sales perspective for a while even with the ACDelco "Fire Ring" spark plugs. I absolutely had to have them in the GTO, which was equipped with the AC Delco breaker less captive discharge ignition system sold in the 1960s.

Somewhere, there was a mention of an ad about TF racers using the E3 plugs. Talk about snake oil. True, some folks may have been paid to run them in their lawn mores, or whatever. Nobody is going to make a run in their TF dragster or FC motor.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:40 AM   #21
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
might be the same sales snakeoil rep that convinced Kenworth that jet turbine motors were good for trucks
https://youtu.be/KOOfBU6Cz0c
well they didn't take off (see what I did there )
http://www.braytonenergy.net/news-an...ruck-launched/
It all makes sense now:

Quote:
Brayton and Kenworth are performing track trials under a grant from the California Energy Commission.
Side note, the pics are fantastic.

Hmmmm? What about pictures going down hill?

Last edited by solarite_guy; 02-04-2018 at 04:48 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:52 AM   #22
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Similar to a snakeoil...privatisation would make prices plummet. Gone up nearly 200% since ... dang!
Funny thing about that.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:56 AM   #23
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
They were around in the early 2000's. Fuel Freedom international or as they call themselves now Forever Freedom International. Marketing madness ripping off the gullible.
In my "research" I saw an article from Car and Driver (Card and River) mentioning an aborted tested planned for these. It seems the Fukushima incident put a crimp on the production.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #24
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seen this stuff advertised on TV lately!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khSlu6ygCCg
Fairlane 500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #25
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Take payment in bitcoin?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #26
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Order now and get a second Platinum 20sec free...
3 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #27
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
Popular Science and Popular Mechanics were other good sources for these ads. Can't forget the "X-Ray Glasses".
And the Sea Monkeys in MAD magazine:

commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #28
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Classic
Old 02-04-2018, 10:31 AM   #29
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
That's not quite right, in that Brock's intention wasn't to rip anyone off per se; it was more that he passionately believed in the thing, to the point where he let it cost him almost everything he had at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
This one sounds like "Firepower", a mysterious fuel tablet that took a fair while to uncover exactly what it did, and where it was available from.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firepower_International

In the meantime, they were sponsoring Tasman in V8 Supercars, as well promising to sponsor the Rabbitohs and a few other sports teams.

They were set up with the sole intention of ripping people off, from investors to the general public.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 10:57 AM   #30
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Aerofoil / aerodynamic windscreen wipers qualify for this great thread?

cheers, Maka

2 users like this post: