Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #31
LimeGlaze
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Complete Auto Trans Oil Change - Howto

I have just completed a trans service and flush on a BA XR6 Turbo, using this and associated threads - thanks to the original posters. A couple of points I thought to add to the thread for anyone doing the same or similar:

Having the benefit of a car hoist and full workshop facilities and having installed a new trans filter and gasket, I chose to remove the rear trans line to drain the old fluid out. With the car up on the hoist and the owner installed in the drivers seat, it was a quick and easy job to have the car run and shut off to catch the old fluid and a drum pump was used for new fluid straight into the trans. For those of you playing at home and choosing to use the trans lines by the radiator - the lower line is the trans fluid outlet.

I must admit I would rather work on an old XA, but mates will drive late model Falcons!

Clint
LimeGlaze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #32
Tony_P
Starter Motor

Anyone know which is the pump pressure side of the trans on a BF? Front or rear line? I'm going to guess rear so it's not starved of oil when the car accelerates....
Tony_P is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #33
battlewagon
Starter Motor

Thanks to all the posters here for great write ups and responses. I just finished doing our 99 AU XR6, it's standard height so checking the level was done without putting the car on stands. I did find the drain and top up a little hit and miss as even when engine is switched off there is still flow expelling the old oil. Checked and filled up 3 times after going through the gears while stationary.
Ended up using 14 litres of TQ95, ran the flush process a little too long.
Very smoothe, car has 200k on it but almost nothing stuck to magnet in pan, pretty happy with that!
battlewagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #34
battlewagon
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Anyone notice much of an improvement in tranny feel after doing this?
Great write up btw.
So about 2 weeks after smooth gear changes and perfect operation the gear change from 1st to second is playing up. When cold it slips 2nd and seems to disengage revving up then bangs into what i assume is 2nd or third. Oil level is fine, oil used was TQ Castrol so at a bit of a loss.
Any advice would be most appreciated!
Old 19-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #35
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Perhaps you should have adjusted the bands while you doing the fluid change. Per: www.servotechnica.spb.ru/viewdocument/BOOKS/CAR/SY/UNSORTED/Update$20EP.TRANF or http://fordforums.com.au/wsmpub//eflwx/7-1.html

Last edited by aussiblue; 19-06-2019 at 11:34 AM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #36
qunal
Starter Motor

Dear all I tried to do transmission service but bunk nut is jammed any other way to put oil in.
qunal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #37
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qunal View Post
Dear all I tried to do transmission service but bunk nut is jammed any other way to put oil in.
No the correct procedures are through the plug. Get a single hex socket , see if you can give the plug a few good hits first.
The plugs don’t need to be super tight as the o’ring seals it.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #38
qunal
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust View Post
No the correct procedures are through the plug. Get a single hex socket , see if you can give the plug a few good hits first.
The plugs don’t need to be super tight as the o’ring seals it.
The problem is that I already messed up with the plug tried most of the method and lastly tried chisel and hammer too but no luck.
qunal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2019, 08:27 PM   #39
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

This chap suffered similar travails recently, he triumphed in the end:

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11480847
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: