Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-11-2017, 11:33 PM   #1
fgxt bob
Starter Motor

Default 2017 focus rs advice and help

hi all,
i’m thinking of buying a rs focus and was hoping if any owners would share their experience and any issues.
real world fuel consumption
how is it for long trips
it won’t be a daily driver as i have a ute for work but from friday to sunday it will be driven a lot for shopping, day trips, family stuff etc,
let me know what you guys think
thanks
fgxt bob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
Cheech
HELL YES

Default Re: 2017 focus rs advice and help

We've had the RS for 16 months (was one of the first delivered).
Now at 17000klms

Fuel 12 to 13's driven as it should be driven

Drops into the 8's when Mrs Cheech uses it as her shopping trolley.

Long trips can be tedious as the Recaros are designed for track and offer minimum adjustment. Just get out for a wee stop and stretch every few hours.
Suspension in normal mode is stiff but not as unbearable as the reviews make out. You get used to it quickly.

For the money nothing will come close for a smile on your dial.
It does lack the sound of a V8, but the pops and burbles make up for it.
Don't buy it if you're looking for a drag car. To get anywhere near the 4.7 sec 0-100 you need to launch hard.

Cornering is at the next level with this car. The twinster torque vectoring set-up has a lot to do with this.
On twisty roads there is not much that can keep up and not much that will get away from you this side of 200k.

I have no regrets in buying our RS.

2019 Ssangyong Rexton fourby (the daily driver, tow pig & snowmobile)

Last edited by Cheech; 08-11-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
fgxt bob
Starter Motor

thanks for your response, i’m a bit worried about those seats, ive just sold my fgx turbo so that was quite comfortable on the long haul, but still only averaged 14-15 around town not much better on hwy considering i’m using 98 at a cost of around $100 a tank got an average of 450klms was not good.
Just a question on the launch, which is one of the main reasons i want an awd are you not happy? i saw an hot hatch race between rs3, amg45, golf r, civic type r which it came in 3rd after the angry and rs3
fgxt bob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #4
Cheech
HELL YES

Don't worry about the seats - you'll get used to them.
They also look the biz as well.

Launch is a pain in the backside to engage.

You have to go through a menu and sub-menu to tick a box.
Its too slow to engage launch control if you suddenly find yourself in a traffic light GP.

I saw the same race....
The Focus launches as well as or better than the RS3 & AMG.
But they both have the Focus' measure when the driver has to change up to 2nd.

A 4WD launch in the focus is absolutely brutal (and fun). I won't be doing too many of them as I feel repeated use would have to have some detrimental effect on the drive-line.

When I said don't buy if you're after a drag car - I meant as in going to the track.
The car is very fast, just don't expect a 12 second car out of the box.

Note that my previous car was an auto FG XR6T with 315rwkw. Even with street legal drag tyres, it was hard to launch cleanly. Whereas the Focus just bites and goes (admittedly with fair few killerwasps)

2019 Ssangyong Rexton fourby (the daily driver, tow pig & snowmobile)
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2017, 04:50 PM   #5
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I only recently parted with my RS and it's a helluva fun car, and like a scalpel to drive, nothing blunt there. Mine was a daily, hour to work and hour back. I'd have to say the seats aren't overly well padded and can become uncomfortable, couldn't really imagine driving the car long distances. For perspective though I'm pretty lean. If you're used to a normal car the ride is a bit harsh, but as someone who's always modded/stiffened/lowered their cars I liked it a lot. It has a level of feel which is awesome, but you just pay with that degree of harshness on less than perfect surfaces.

I'd buy another tomorrow in a heartbeat, nearly did. Practical reasons dictated our parting.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post