Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Ford Raptor 4x4OTY Crown

2.0-litre-powered Raptor reaps top honours following a gruelling testing process.

Ford Ranger Raptor crowned 4x4 of the Year feature
The Ford Ranger Raptor has pipped its stablemate – the Ranger XLT – by eight votes, to clinch the 4x4OTY crown.

By not trying to be all things to all men, as all other dual-cabs try to be, the Raptor has come up with a winning formula based on a supple, well-controlled and sophisticated suspension. On any back road – the rougher the better – or any 4x4 track it works brilliantly and helps to make the Raptor an enormously fun-to-drive, competent and capable recreational 4x4 dual-cab.

It’s also proof that in the automotive world it’s always better to have more ‘chassis’ than ‘engine’. And while it’s not built for off-road racing, if there was a proper ‘production class’ (where you can only change tyres and brake linings beyond the mandatory safety mods) in something like the Finke Desert Race it would infinitely be better than any other showroom-stock 4x4.

More than anything else it’s a bold step into the world of task-specific factory customs, which is hopefully something we will see more of.

For complete 4x4OTY coverage and to learn why the Raptor was the best 4x4 of a great bunch, pick up a copy of 4X4 Australia’s February issue, in stores January 31. https://www.facebook.com/29726291363...3471311678507/
Old 01-02-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
PRO-GT

Default Re: Ford Raptor 4x4OTY Crown

Lots of humble pie being consumed this morning.
2007 BF GT Cobra 6 spd manual #43- SOLD
2016 Mustang GT - Current
2010 XR6 Turbo 50th Anniversary - Sold
2006 BF MKII XR6 Turbo Seduce - Sold
2006 BF MKI F6 Typhoon Toxic - Current
PRO-GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

So they put it up against a rebadged Navara, a stripped out Amarok, a bloody Mahindra, a Ssangyong and the first attempt by a company renowned for spicing up RWD V8 Sedans and utes, plus a couple of its own stablemates.

And this is supposed to be a revelation..
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
So they put it up against a rebadged Navara, a stripped out Amarok, a bloody Mahindra, a Ssangyong and the first attempt by a company renowned for spicing up RWD V8 Sedans and utes, plus a couple of its own stablemates.

And this is supposed to be a revelation..
Driven one yet?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Driven one yet?
Not knocking it, just find it funny that any other conclusion could be drawn when comparing a purpose built vehicle to some questionable competitors if they could be called that.
I guess the only criterior that was a must was having 4x4 capabilities.

Not sure anyone looking for a Raptor type of vehicle with reduced towing capacity in favour of superior off oroad capabilities would be cross shopping it wth a Mahindra or a Ssangyong, nor would someone with $50k to spend on a ute be cross shopping the Amarok with an $85k Raptor.

This is akin to taking Pamela Anderson down to the local titty bar and being surprised when she wins the wet T shirt comp..
Old 01-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Out of the 8 participants, 3 were Fords and they finished 1-2 and 4 and were all the new 2.0 powered diesels..
Amarok was 3rd, Mahindra 5th ahead of the HSV Colorado, Mercedes and Ssanyong bringing up the rear.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Not knocking it, just find it funny that any other conclusion could be drawn when comparing a purpose built vehicle to some questionable competitors if they could be called that.
I guess the only criterior that was a must was having 4x4 capabilities.

Not sure anyone looking for a Raptor type of vehicle with reduced towing capacity in favour of superior off oroad capabilities would be cross shopping it wth a Mahindra or a Ssangyong, nor would someone with $50k to spend on a ute be cross shopping the Amarok with an $85k Raptor.

This is akin to taking Pamela Anderson down to the local titty bar and being surprised when she wins the wet T shirt comp..
Award can only be ran with vehicles released that year. So that excludes a lot of others too. It still would have won it. As they say it's the chassis that makes it so good. Point to point across rough ground nothing else available here will get near it.

Hopefully it will get entered in the finke desert race this year in the production class.
6 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Award can only be ran with vehicles released that year. So that excludes a lot of others too. It still would have won it. As they say it's the chassis that makes it so good. Point to point across rough ground nothing else available here will get near it.

Hopefully it will get entered in the finke desert race this year in the production class.
Agreed, it's easily the best at what it does which is why I wasnt knocking it, more the relevance in making a point of it as until someone else steps up and produces something of it's kind, it will continue to reign supreme.
I think to be fair to the competition which are allrounders, it deserves it's own catagory.
People buy 4x4's for more than just point to point on rough ground, if I wanted a sure footed tow rig capable of 3t it's a non contender, as there are tradeoffs with what it offers.
Theyve limited the aspects of what constitutes the best 4x4 and said as much in the intro, it's not every man's everything.

My2c.

Last edited by BENT_8; 01-02-2019 at 03:41 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

That's it, it's the best 4x4. Not best tow vehicle, or drag car, or circuit racer.

The thing though is that the changes made to it to make it better off road have actually made it mostly better on road too. It rides like a limo, handles nicer due to the coil spring rear end and wider track, and brakes better due to the 4 wheel discs.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #10
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

It's the best out of the 8 participants, and probably well deserved, but it's not the best 4X4 overall.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2019, 05:12 PM   #11
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
It's the best out of the 8 participants, and probably well deserved, but it's not the best 4X4 overall.....
Please elaborate, what 4x4 that's available for sale in OZ, is a better 4x4?
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2019, 05:25 PM   #12
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGEREST View Post
I didn't say any was better, i said it is was only better than the ones it competed against, which is a fact isn't it??? i haven't seen any other 'official' comparisons with any of the other available 4x4s, have you???

As i said, the accolade may well be deserved against the vehicles it competed against, but to say it's the best 4x4 overall is just incorrect because it hasn't competed against them all, it's a very simple concept, but I do think it's fair enough that it gets that award because it would be a good capable vehicle for weekend warriors, It's just not a suitable touring vehicle like some think it is....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 01-02-2019 at 05:41 PM.
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #13
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGEREST View Post
Jeep Wrangelr Rubicon.
But what I consider it a better 4wd may differ to you, so to have one benchmark or definition to that question will never have everyone agreeing.
Wrangelr is a dedicated 4wd with the mechanicals to back that up.
Raptor is likely a better drive up the beach or down and unsealed road.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2019, 06:21 PM   #14
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Personally i would put the XLT above it simply because the XLT can do things the Raptor cant.
The XLT can be hooked up to a 3t off road van and cruise along the same tracks a Raptor can, just not as quick.
A Raptor can travel that same track quicker, but it cant legally pull the 3t van.
If you lined them both up at the start of a 100km track with a 3t van on the back it wouldnt matter if the XLT took longer to reach the finish line, the Raptor would still be at the start line because moving it would be breaking the law.

You cant just point to ride and speed across a rough track and call it the best 4x4 as like i said, modern 4x4's arent just intended for off road duties, they need to be more than 1 trick ponies which is why they are so popular, they can fill the duties of the old sedan with 5 seats, pull more than the sedan with 3.5t, are comfortable enough to take the kids to school in and can compete with many sedans of old from the line if your choice is the Amarok.

Its the best niche 4x4...thats it.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Congratulations to Raptor, more bragging rights to Ford, let’s hope they take advantage of it.

Bent, I’d be very dubious about any in this sized vehicle towing a 3 tonne anything
Chances are that most even XLT Ranger would exceed gross combined weight rating.
About 5,500 lbs or 2500 kg is really all you can tow safely. Crew cabs especially so.

Raptor is the glam rockstar but other work horses can do most of what the average
punter wants. Raptor was as much about filling a need for premium buyers as it was
Ford demonstrating what it could achieve given the limits of the project.

Last edited by jpd80; 01-02-2019 at 06:39 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #16
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Bent, I’d be very dubious about any in this sized vehicle towing a 3 tonne anything
Chances are that most even XLT Ranger would exceed gross combined weight rating.
About 5,500 lbs or 2500 kg is really all you can tow safely. Crew cabs especially so.
I never said safely, i said legally, it would be safe to pull it at 20k/hr in the XLT, it would illegal at any speed in the Raptor.

The XLT has a GCM of 6000kg
The kerb weights are 2212kg(M) 2230kg(A) and 2197kg(2.0lA)

Were not talking 3200kg GVM, just car and driver.
A 3000kg van and 2230kg XLT 3.2lA with a 100kg driver and 70kg of fuel at 5400kg is well under the legal GCM.

The Raptor cant do that.

Oh, almost forgot, if anyone wants a Raptor, Rebels have a white one on their lot listed as a new vehicle for $82kd/a.

Last edited by BENT_8; 01-02-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:32 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The 2500 kg towing is still pretty good for a Raptor, it’s not like it’s a cream puff or anything, ford softened the Rate of the rear coils to improve the Raptor’s off road running over humps so that it doesn’t mule kick worn it bounces. I think that gives a great balance in towing and off road that other Rangers can’t match without modification.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #18
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The 2500 kg towing is still pretty good for a Raptor, it’s not like it’s a cream puff or anything, ford softened the Rate of the rear coils to improve the Raptor’s off road running over humps so that it doesn’t mule kick worn it bounces. I think that gives a great balance in towing and off road that other Rangers can’t match without modification.
Agreed, but is it worth the $20k+ premium?

$20k buys a lot of suspension modification and then some.

Look i get what the Raptor is meant to be and if thats how they've defined this years award then so be it, but i just think highlighting its strengths whilst ignoring its short comings compared to its competitors makes it a hollow victory.
The fact that they opened with the admission that its not every mans everything just highlight that they've ignored certain aspects of what is important to buyers to favour what sets the Raptor apart to give it the accolade, fair enough its their award, but dont treat the wider public with contempt, its an engineered result.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:17 PM   #19
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford has neither aimed, nor marketed, the Raptor at people who would go touring in a big van... They set out to make a niche model that was pretty well the best 4x4 we can buy new off the showroom floor. It was never meant to sell in huge numbers, never meant to be the first choice for the Grey Nomads who want to go off around oz with a big van.. They know they have the XLT and Wildtrack for that...

As Ford fans we should be applauding this win, and yet another success for the Ranger in general...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #20
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's pretty sad that a 4x4 that's actually designed to go off-road first has become a niche.
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 08:55 PM   #21
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agreed, but is it worth the $20k+ premium?

$20k buys a lot of suspension modification and then some.

Look i get what the Raptor is meant to be and if thats how they've defined this years award then so be it, but i just think highlighting its strengths whilst ignoring its short comings compared to its competitors makes it a hollow victory.
The fact that they opened with the admission that its not every mans everything just highlight that they've ignored certain aspects of what is important to buyers to favour what sets the Raptor apart to give it the accolade, fair enough its their award, but dont treat the wider public with contempt, its an engineered result.
Becaus that’s how they get to live inside your head 24/7 by twisting the knife on what constitutes an apex 4x4. It’s rigged I tell ya...look closely and there will be an advertising contract for Ford...rolls his eyes and walks away
3 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 09:23 PM   #22
jgmdat

Quote:
That's it, it's the best 4x4. Not best tow vehicle, or drag car, or circuit racer.

The thing though is that the changes made to it to make it better off road have actually made it mostly better on road too. It rides like a limo, handles nicer due to the coil spring rear end and wider track, and brakes better due to the 4 wheel discs.
True. I have had the pleasure of driving one for the last five days and it is worth every cent you pay. The ride is next level on any surface. Have to laugh at all the pelicans bagging it yet not driven or even looked inside one. Was not happy handing it back but at least now i know what will replace the GS ute if i ever get rid of it.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2019, 02:45 AM   #23
spvd02

It's a great vehicle with an underwhelming engine. It won because it is a great vehicle. The underwhelming but adequate engine does not take away from the other credentials in which it is without peer.

As an all-rounder it would do very well indeed: comfortable, practical, capable both on and off-road, enough performance for normal use + good fuel economy, and it looks great.

It's only a disappointment for people such as myself, who expected more performance with aftermarket potential. Unfortunately, we didn't get any of that, and ended up instead with a 2.0L diesel no one in their right mind would dare to extract any more performance from, and there-in would lie most people's frustration. How long will it last in stock form, let alone when modified? Who would be prepared to take the risk of having to fork out a lot of coin to replace a whole engine/fuel system prematurely because it was too high-strung from the factory? How well will it deal with owner neglect/poor fuel quality?

Why didn't Ford instead opt for similar outputs from a 3.0 for peace of mind, with slightly higher outputs for Raptor (although I would love to see a 2.7 ecoboost!)?
* Mods: Fox cat-back exhaust, Simota CAI, larger intercooler, Spider iMode chip-tuning plug in.

Engine responds very well to mods, but auto gearbox can become unsettled trying to cope with the extra torque. Good fuel economy overall: 9-12L/100km city, 8L/100 country.
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #24
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvd02 View Post
Why didn't Ford instead opt for similar outputs from a 3.0 for peace of mind, with slightly higher outputs for Raptor (although I would love to see a 2.7 ecoboost!)?
There's a couple of reasons,
one, the Asia pacific market is not dominated by Australia and so high performance V6 numbers would not get past the bean counters so late in the current Rangers life when the next model is so far down the R&D track
There is a higher output 2L diesel as used in the high end euro Edge at around 170+kW so not sure why this wasn't chosen both for Endura and RR but maybes it's cost or a path for an update.
The public knowledge of Ford's cost savings plans is seen by the planned job cuts however the behind the scenes cost savings are through removing complexity in production and vehicle development seen in the announcement that F-150 and Range will share more R&D.
If it was my money i would have said throw in the 3.0L V6 or at least a petrol version but I would be thinking with my rev-head and not wallet and lets face it there isn't enough sales in this region or other RHD markets.

Maybe we should find a sales breakdown around the world for Ranger with some detail to include powertrain sales numbers and see which models sell and how much in total as I don't think we Australians realize this local market is not as big and we probably still have the mindset that existed when we built our own vehicles that we can do what we want for domestic sales (to a point).

Just a very quick search and I found (2018) Europe around 50,000, Thailand 55,000, Australia ~42,000.....so still have Africa, S.America, rest of Asia, now N.America....

Last edited by Dr Smith; 02-02-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2019, 11:23 AM   #25
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Not sure anyone looking for a Raptor type of vehicle with reduced towing capacity in favour of superior off oroad capabilities would be cross shopping it wth a Mahindra or a Ssangyong
Maybe not so far fetched, this one looks like it has been traded at a Mahindra Ssangyong dealer!!

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...AG-AD-16812326
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #26
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Maybe not so far fetched, this one looks like it has been traded at a Mahindra Ssangyong dealer!!

If you read the ad it says it's been traded due to ill health so I'm guessing the owner has "other" reasons to nolonger keep it.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #27
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post

Lol..traded on a Mahindra
Old 02-02-2019, 04:29 PM   #28
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
If you read the ad it says it's been traded due to ill health so I'm guessing the owner has "other" reasons to nolonger keep it.
Yeah, but what does it tell you when someone in that situation has to trade it to a Mahindra dealer.
Obviously no Ford dealer, not even the one he bought it from, would take it back for what they'd have to pay with those k's.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:15 PM   #29
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Lol..traded on a Mahindra
Quote:
Yeah, but what does it tell you when someone in that situation has to trade it to a Mahindra dealer.
Obviously no Ford dealer, not even the one he bought it from, would take it back for what they'd have to pay with those k's.
I couldn't find the part where it said that it was traded on a Mahindra.

That dealer also sold Dodge Rams, so who knows what went down.

Could also have been in the yard on consignment.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #30
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Bent8 clearly has something against the Raptor, so I'm going to get a Kia Picanto to tow my van, that's only 2040kg and when it's not towing I'll take my kids up the high country etc.
And because it's 60k less than the Raptor I can slag them off at every chance.
Mate what would keep you happy? 600Kw and 20ton towing? No no no, then the ride would be crap.
Oh I give up
Good on Ford for giving us something that keeps at least one group of people happy enough to give it an award
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: