Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 30-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default EOI: Cam install on my car

Hi all,
As we all know its end of financial year so I'll be getting some tax money back in the next few weeks : ! With this money I'm planning on buying a Wade 1673 cam.
This will be a perfect opportunity to learn more about the head of the engine but I dont want to tackle it by myself as I know I'll bugger up the timing!
So I'm seeing if theres any fellow members who would be interested in helping me install the cam? I've thought of 2 options here:

1. A couple members could come down to Bendigo to my house and i'll throw a BBQ lunch and soft drinks and we can get the cam installed. or...

2. I could drive to your house and get the cam installed there.

I'll organize a day in the upcoming weeks witch suits people. I still need to get the tax money back plus I need to actually buy the cam yet!
If anyones interested that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Braden

Old 30-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

2 cable ties (1 will work too) around the main cam sprocket and i guarantee your timing will be fine ;)

I will come and help though.. As long as it's on a Saturday and not on a Sunday..
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Yeah I heard about the cable ties, still, it'll be good to have someone there who knows what there doing!
A Saturday will most likely be the day I'll be doing it. As said we can arrange a proper date once I have the cam lying in my shed!

On a side note what exactly is a vernier cam gear and the difference between using this or just using new shims? Do you need new shims with a vernier cam gear and roughly how much does it cost?
Old 30-06-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
Yeah I heard about the cable ties, still, it'll be good to have someone there who knows what there doing!
A Saturday will most likely be the day I'll be doing it. As said we can arrange a proper date once I have the cam lying in my shed!

On a side note what exactly is a vernier cam gear and the difference between using this or just using new shims? Do you need new shims with a vernier cam gear and roughly how much does it cost?
a vernier gear replaces the stock cam sprocket and allows you to advance of retard the timing of the new cam, which in turn, allows you to play with the powerband of the cam. If you want the cam to produce power low in the rev range, you can set it a little retarded, or high in the rev range, advance it.

You will still need shims regardless of whether or not you use a vernier gear..

I think a vernier gear is like $150 or so, and you dont need new shims, just second hand shims will do..
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Old 30-06-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Ah cool thanks for that. I'll see how lucky I am with tax back money to decide if I get a vernier gear or not.
As for the shims, whats the point of second hand shims? My car would already have shims in it right, so wouldn't they be classed as second hand ones anyway? I dont think new ones are that dear anyway so i'd proberly just go with new shims.

Sorry bout all the questions, its the only way I can learn mechanic stuff as my dad knows nothing at all about motors.
Old 30-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

ill come up and give you a hand braden, I can get it ground, and bring it up with me, to save on courior charges I believe shims are about $3.50 each from ford, Or from pick a part for bout $2.00 for 12.

cheers
scott

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

on the topic of shims, you need to add one more into the rocker arm, under the lifter. That is to make up for the material that we grind off the cam.

Old 30-06-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Yeah that would be awesome Scott. I'll PM you once I receive my tax money. Cheers.
Old 30-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

no worries. If ea-ed shims are the same, ill get some shims aswell. There are heaps of wrecks at pick a part.

Old 30-06-2007, 02:58 PM   #10
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthofan
no worries. If ea-ed shims are the same, ill get some shims aswell. There are heaps of wrecks at pick a part.
EA-EB shims are big ones, while some EBII'S and ED's got the smaller type shims.

All EF/EL are small type shims.
Old 30-06-2007, 03:43 PM   #11
snypereb
[EBGLT]

30 blokes to change a cam lol.

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2007, 07:00 PM   #12
Mickus
Banned

Ill be there for moral support :P
Mickus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2007, 08:18 PM   #13
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snypereb
30 blokes to change a cam lol.
Take the 0 of the 30 and you have 3, gotta learn these things somehow man. Anyway doesn't Wayne do all your work on your car!!!!
Old 30-06-2007, 08:25 PM   #14
[T1PTOP]
Banned

even 3 ppl to change a cam is like WTF:P

get shims from a self serve wrecker, that way u dont pay for them at all
[T1PTOP] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #15
Sundeep
Banned

Default Ford Workshop Manual FTW

Quote:
Take the 0 of the 30 and you have 3, gotta learn these things somehow man.
Buy a book from Ford and the 3 becomes 1.

Sundeep

Last edited by -jjM-; 03-07-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2007, 08:36 PM   #16
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dose
Buy a book from Ford and the 3 becomes 1.

Sundeep
Actually I've been meaning to buy one of those books for quite a while now, just never actually got around to buying one.

I only really need 1 person to give me a hand and show me the ropes.

Last edited by -jjM-; 03-07-2007 at 03:41 PM.
DEVL-XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 12:34 AM   #17
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
Anyway doesn't Wayne do all your work on your car!!!!
Haha funny funny he aint touched my car in ages!! Im so coming to help and dropping a lifter into the oil gallery!!!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 12:38 AM   #18
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

then we can time shaun how long to dismantle an engine, then re-build :togo:

It will all be fine braden, just give me the word when you want the ball to get rolling

Old 03-07-2007, 12:44 AM   #19
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

is there a date set for this? depending on when might i crash this party and have my 1636 install supervised?

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 03:40 PM   #20
-jjM-
Banned

just to make sure, have you read this thread yet? LINK HERE
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #21
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snypereb
Haha funny funny he aint touched my car in ages!! Im so coming to help and dropping a lifter into the oil gallery!!!
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthofan
then we can time shaun how long to dismantle an engine, then re-build :togo:

It will all be fine braden, just give me the word when you want the ball to get rolling
Will do Scott, just waiting for work to give me the tax form (I forget the proper name for it right now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRtZ
is there a date set for this? depending on when might i crash this party and have my 1636 install supervised?
No set date just yet. Will let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jjM-
just to make sure, have you read this thread yet? LINK HERE
I've read a few tutorials and I pretty much know how to do the whole install, I just want some supervision so I dont screw anything up.