Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
Brodes
Brodes

Default Bunnings Monopoly

Has anyone else noticed Bunnings' brand range has reduced heavily recently?
Old 14-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Bunnings Monopoly

Yep, not to mention the staff numbers, almost impossible to find someone to assist these days and when you do they just give you an isle number.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2017, 05:45 PM   #3
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Nup, not the 3 stores i frequent anyhow, all still ticking along as they always have.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #4
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

They may have reduced the number of brands they carry in some categories... But their range still beats any other hardware store or chain I know of.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #5
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Must be an SA thing then coz I'm in Adelaide too.
Old 14-12-2017, 06:07 PM   #6
Brodes
Brodes

I've been finding the brand range has been decreasing, gets frustrating when you need a certain item that used to be supplied by them and other brands aren't quite what you need. Now they've snuffed out most other hardware stores they have the power to stock only the highest bidder brands. Sucks for both customers and brands that can't afford to pay. Don't get me wrong, I love Bunnings, they have the right formula, but it now seems to be turning into a 1st priority profit machine.
Old 14-12-2017, 06:23 PM   #7
Brodes
Brodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Must be an SA thing then coz I'm in Adelaide too.
I normally go to the Modbury Bunnings, they stock bugger all so under desperate need I go to Parafield, but I've tried the new Windsor Gardens one on NE Rd and it is terrible, maybe being new and so big the shelves are pending to be filled, but at the moment it's pretty scarce given the size of the store. Not worth the drive.
Old 14-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #8
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

The new Munno Para West store is only 5 minutes from my door so that's where I go.
We recently bought a caravan which needed some cabling tidied up and I've installed a double din DVD head unit.
I needed some of those little square sticky cable tie tidies and bought 2 packets from my local store.
Discovered I was about 10 short of completing the job and went back for some more and couldn't find them, the rack where they were had been altered altogether so I eventually found an assistant who new electrical and she tells me they don't have them and cant recall ever having them.
I'm standing there like, but I only bought 2 packs a week ago, they were right here, I've still got the bloody receipts to prove it.
Sorry, she says, I've just come back from holidays but I've worked in this department since it opened and I've never seen them.

Ended up getting them from Supercheap.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #9
Brodes
Brodes

We bought a house full of First Alert slim smoke and CO2 detectors ~6 months ago, one of them is dodgy, so I go to take it back and swap it with a newy only to find they only stock Quell and Family First alarms now (mainly Quell as Family First have been tucked away almost out of sight). The one I needed was the Hallway alarm with the safety light which was only available in the Quell units.... big, round, ugly, fat, stupid looking units, no choice, I had to get that one.

I have similar stories to other products but I'll save you from all the first-world-problem whinging. At the end of the day they are a business that can operate as they please, it just sucks that the predicted inevitable of big business is beginning. BTW Bunnings is also known to have one of the highest average mark-up prices of all, plenty of articles about it; my example, I needed a length of 50x50mm post, Bunnings had them for ~$50, so I went to the small fencing guy on Research Rd in Pooraka...$15. Huge difference.

Quote:
Ended up getting them from Supercheap.
Bingo, I'll be doing my best to avoid the green shed.. unless I feel like a snag and onion...
Old 14-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #10
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Its not just Bunnings but also the two big Supermarkets as well.

They have been slowly whittling their product range down over the last couple of years, to the point where often the only choice between two similar products is the no-name home brand and the expensive name-brand. And 9 times out of 10 it was the option in the middle that was your favourite until it was deleted in the name of streamlining their profits.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #11
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might be dictated by location? Or they could be following Aldi's game. Instead of having 18 different shapes of pasta across 7 different brands, they have 1 brand and 6 shapes. Same goes with say sour cream, one company one size.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Yes since Master's closed down they have also reduced their range in certain products where I guess they no longer see a need to compete e.g mains power fittings. But I guess they also need to reduce costs to fund their so far expensive foray into the UK market.
Old 14-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #13
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to try and support the small independents, but every time I needed 10 of something, they would only have 4 and offer to "get it in for me". Biatch, I'm doing this NOW, I'm not coming back. The suppliers place the orders in Bunnings, and if they run out and have empty hooks, the companies' national sales manager gets an email to be hauled over the coals.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 14-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #14
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Might be dictated by location? Or they could be following Aldi's game. Instead of having 18 different shapes of pasta across 7 different brands, they have 1 brand and 6 shapes. Same goes with say sour cream, one company one size.
I think alot has to do with the local demographic and what sells. So the past 3 areas I have lived in have been totally different. I'm going to use woolies as an example because all 3 placed had one. When I lived at mums it was a pretty well off area so the stock of the home brand stuff was pretty slim across the board, however the meat department had a nicer more expensive selection and there was more things like oddball olives etc. But that's what sells around there. The first house I rented the local woolies had a bug stock of the home brand everything. It wasn't a bad area but there was a lot of housing commission homes so they catered for what sold the best. Where I live now it's a mix at woolies but it's more culturally diverse so the mix of cheaper to more expensive items is greater but to cater for more cultural differences they cut back on the range in each sort of department to cater for everyone. I have a hard time getting a decent marinated roast as they don't stock a huge amount. They don't even sell garlic mash that goes with everything. But it's the customer base that dictates that.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2017, 08:50 PM   #15
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Bunnings Monopoly

Wasn’t a bad spin on the old game
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #16
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep, not to mention the staff numbers, almost impossible to find someone to assist these days and when you do they just give you an isle number.
Seems to be like that with my local outlet.
Other thing is the self serve checkout section is closed more often than open. The reason seems to be not enough staff they say. So now you line up at one or two manual checkouts - why they don't get one of the people to supervise the self serve section is not known.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2017, 10:03 PM   #17
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"How Bunnings turns the screws on customers"
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/nati...me-renovators/
Old 14-12-2017, 10:28 PM   #18
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Damn, I got all excited when I saw the thread title...

I thought that we were about to play a game of Bunnings Monopoly...

Edit: Missed GC's post...
Old 14-12-2017, 11:01 PM   #19
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Can’t say that anything has changed, the same crap service, sending you on wild goose chase into isle 30 , 42 , 8 , 12 ... The local Bunnings did rearrange and remove a checkout so there is now even less ability to get out of the shop.

You’d have to wonder how long these big footprint shops have left as more people go online. It isn’t like you go to Bunnings to experience the enthusiasm of their staff.

Last edited by cheap; 14-12-2017 at 11:18 PM.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2017, 12:32 AM   #20
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Aus hardware market over the last 5 years can be described simply....

'Bunnings is so crap, the staff don't help and the prices are crap... they need some competition'
Masters arrives
'Masters is so crap, they need to be like Bunnings... I hate Masters I wish it would close down'
Masters leaves
'Bunnings is so crap, the staff don't help and the prices are crap... they need some competition'
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2017, 06:47 AM   #21
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They have dropped their range considerably, they're discounted lines aren't as attractive and they still don't stock much of any one item so you quite often have to go to more than 1

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2017, 07:05 AM   #22
OzriderXR8

Can't say I've noticed any difference at my Bunnings.

Brands do change but that is the same with any retailer.

The prices are good enough to stop me driving miles to find an alternative, and even then Mitre10 and Home Hardware are more Masters than Hardware.

AUII XR8 200KW
FG MK2 XR6
Mini 850
Rover P5 3 Litre Mk1
OzriderXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #23
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Random Bunnings story:

I bought one of those timber steps kits today because I was too lazy to make some from scratch. It was so badly warped that it matched the uneven ground at the base of the deck
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #24
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodes View Post
.....Now they've snuffed out most other hardware stores they have the power to stock only the highest bidder brands. Sucks for both customers and brands that can't afford to pay. Don't get me wrong, I love Bunnings, they have the right formula, but it now seems to be turning into a 1st priority profit machine.
Raise prices, or cut costs - that's the only 2 ways to increase profit for the shareholders.
Raising prices upsets consumers (especially when they find out they've been ripped).
So they screw suppliers over. Several years ago, one of our sales managers had a grand plan to sell a range of product in Bunnings. Numerous meetings, and then demands came.

I'll use simple figures. The item lists for $10. Our distributors sell it for $10. We give it to distributors for between $4 & $6 depending on their annual spend. They look after ordering stock, they hold stock, and pay on 30 day terms.

Bunnings wanted much longer terms (can't remember if it was 90, or even 120 days now), and wanted to pay around $1.50 each. On top of that, they expected regular visits & restocking to be done by our reps, and exclusivity - so we'd have to tell our distributors they could no longer have it.

You can see why we never went ahead. And the obscene profits they would have been making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
.......The suppliers place the orders in Bunnings, and if they run out and have empty hooks, the companies' national sales manager gets an email to be hauled over the coals.
Exactly - transfer the cost of maintaining stock onto the suppliers = less staff needed = less cost = better returns for shareholders.

For expensive items, it's probably worth it, but the labour costs on cheap items would eat any profit a small supplier makes, and they're in the hole for 3-4 months until they get paid....
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #25
Brodes
Brodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
The Aus hardware market over the last 5 years can be described simply....

Masters arrives
'Masters is so crap, they need to be like Bunnings... I hate Masters I wish it would close down'
Masters leaves
We did need a Masters, but hell did they screw that up!
Old 15-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #26
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went to buy a length of flat bar from bunnings one day.

Got to the counter, lady says that will be $50, umm no I said, must be some mistake. They double checked, nope $50. Thanks but no thanks, see ya.

Drove 300km home asked the hardware in town, how much for a length of 1.5 inch flat bar? $7.50.

Never been to bunnings since.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.

Last edited by Mercury Bullet; 15-12-2017 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Spellchecker said burnings lol
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #27
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodes View Post
We did need a Masters, but hell did they screw that up!
So people say, but I shopped there almost exclusively and thought it was ok. Especially having helpful staff and self serve which meant I wasted little time.

Bunnings improved while Masters were around, but have returned back to their previous effort... Not enough registers open, long queues, and self serve always closed.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #28
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Masters were quite competitive on some things, but you had to do your homework.

I had to buy all the bits to make new flyscreens from scratch - the extrusion, corners, screen, clips & cord. It was almost $30 cheaper at masters, and they had a better range.

Also got a genuine Weber kettle from Masters for a good price - far better than the coke-can rubbish bumrings sells.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #29
.:4:.
Kicking back

Price aside, bunnings to me is a place to buy $1 sponges and garden hoses, not tools for work as I get things cheaper dealing with the wholesalers work deals with. The staff are not either parts interpreters or from a trade background. Well, some staff have a trade background which is good when you deal with someone with prior knowledge. In the same token customers often ask advice to which staff aren't supposed to give. I find this with wholesalers too. Suggestions can be offered but not advice. I think thats where a lot of diy people go wrong. Expecting dave in the paint section who's previous job was in a call centre to be able to tell them how to prep a wall to paint it. Exactly, not going to happen. Bunnings is a place to convenience shop. If you have the time to call around and research prices for all the bits you want and want to drive around for the bbq plate you're after, the shelf kit for the garage, the bag of cement for the washing line you're also after then yeah do it. Or make one trip to bunnings and deal with the prices for the convenience of a half hour shopping trip.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #30
BAWITHLOT
XB COUPE TOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Price aside, bunnings to me is a place to buy $1 sponges and garden hoses, not tools for work as I get things cheaper dealing with the wholesalers work deals with. The staff are not either parts interpreters or from a trade background. Well, some staff have a trade background which is good when you deal with someone with prior knowledge. In the same token customers often ask advice to which staff aren't supposed to give. I find this with wholesalers too. Suggestions can be offered but not advice. I think thats where a lot of diy people go wrong. Expecting dave in the paint section who's previous job was in a call centre to be able to tell them how to prep a wall to paint it. Exactly, not going to happen. Bunnings is a place to convenience shop. If you have the time to call around and research prices for all the bits you want and want to drive around for the bbq plate you're after, the shelf kit for the garage, the bag of cement for the washing line you're also after then yeah do it. Or make one trip to bunnings and deal with the prices for the convenience of a half hour shopping trip.
There are trade qualified team members and it is identified on their name badge.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
BAWITHLOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post