Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Buying parts from USA.

I need a part from US and it is about $600 AU +50 post. In the add it says there may be duties on it that I may have to pay. For those of you who have bought from overseas what is your experience. It is a marine part and is for my personal use.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #2
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: Buying parts from USA.

I buy parts for my BMW from Pelican Parts and RockAuto. I've never had to pay duties or anything and the parts are on my doorstep six days later.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty sure if it's under $1k then there aren't any duties.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Only applies for over $1000.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make sure they ship it direct to your personal address, and it's only your order.

There's a dark side to cheap freight or these "free shipping" incentives some of them offer - even to global customers. To save money on freight, or to cover themselves when the offer "free global freight" some places combine orders & send via a forwarder, to be broken down & distributed once in Australia. If this happens, and yours + others parcels exceed $1K, you'll all pay duty, even though the individual parcels are <$1k.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #6
danthefordman
Leftyos

I contacted customs a few years ago and my understanding is all items imported in to the country may attract duties and taxes depending on what they are. I think you might find that the 1000 limit is a myth. It just happens that customs focuses on larger or more lucrative tax opportunities as it costs money to chase these duties and items have to be stored whilst awaiting duties etc. For car parts I was quoted 10% import duty & 10% gst but it depends on whether or not your item gets pulled up. I have ordered parts from Jeggs and Summit but have not been pulled up so far. I have mates who get chewing tobacco from the US regularly. Sometimes it gets through sometimes not but tobacco products get hammered as they are taxed by weight so even an order valued at a couple hundred will get pulled up.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthefordman View Post
I contacted customs a few years ago and my understanding is all items imported in to the country may attract duties and taxes depending on what they are. I think you might find that the 1000 limit is a myth. It just happens that customs focuses on larger or more lucrative tax opportunities as it costs money to chase these duties and items have to be stored whilst awaiting duties etc. For car parts I was quoted 10% import duty & 10% gst but it depends on whether or not your item gets pulled up. I have ordered parts from Jeggs and Summit but have not been pulled up so far. I have mates who get chewing tobacco from the US regularly. Sometimes it gets through sometimes not but tobacco products get hammered as they are taxed by weight so even an order valued at a couple hundred will get pulled up.
The $1000 limit is not a myth, that's what the rules are. If you got lucky and didn't get charged duty on top of that consider yourself lucky. But there are things which are exempt.

I got hit with the customs charges on my trickflow heads.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Make sure the vender's leave the stated value in US$; one vender thought he was helpful converting to AU$ so after custom converted I was invalidly dutied.
Old 16-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #9
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Freight is added to cost . Not sure if second hand is taxed ? My Powerglide was $3k all up . No tax . Paid a heap on “Kelford” cams (1500 NZ purchase price) for 1UZ Lexus .Oh what us rev heads pay !! Lol
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4

Last edited by ebxr8240; 16-12-2017 at 04:55 PM.
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #10
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its the cost of the part + freight @ the AU$ when landed @ $1000
so if you pay $999 AUD but its worth $718USD on the day for both part and freight and the $ stay same , no prob but if it changes by time landed and equates to $1001 you pay the duty and on all $1001 not $1
I got sprung with this little clause but still at $1000 duty isn't much but better in my pocket than not
and we are talking new parts not used arnt we other wise it changes again

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #11
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few things to consider:

- If the Customs Value of the goods in your package is AUD1000 or over then you will be assessed for Duty and GST. Things like Tobacco and alcohol are taxed regardless... Keep that in mind...

- Customs Value does NOT include the Freight to get it to Australia. It would include any Foreign Inland Freight (ie - Goods are worth AUD950 and you are charged another AUD100 for delivery to the Freight Company for sending then the Customs Value would be AUD1050 - most Express company's and individual buyers wont see this charge). THis is a very simplified explanation but anyway... Another thing to keep in mind is that the exchange rate Used by Customs may not be the one that you purchased the goods at. They use the Exchange rate on the Date of Export (ie - when the goods where sent). If your goods are well under you should be sweet, its when you are up over AUD950 it can hurt you and take you over the threshold

- New V Second hand makes Zero difference in relation to Duty and Tax's and how its applied. Quarantine are the ones who deal with that. Certain Used items will require Quarantine Action

- Customs will not put a whole lot of different peoples Packages together to make the Customs Value and then charge you... By the law, there can only be 1 Supplier and 1 importer per Cargo Report/Customs Declaration. if you have multiple shipments from the same seller on the one Master/Flight/Console to try to get under the Threshold, Customs will see when the Cargo Report is made and will put a hold on the packages and have them combined together...

I could go on (I do this for a living) but I wont...lol...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2018, 05:30 PM   #12
Maysik

I have been buying parts for two vehicles I have been doing up.
54 Chev truck and a 1959 Oldsmobile. Both were complete and just needed a few things replaced and a few things I just wanted to replace to make them look better.

I have been dealing with suppliers of parts for these vehicles for many years and some packages were small some large, some to my address by courier, some to my post office box and some I had to collect from a depot.

At no time did I incur extra taxes or charges although most suppliers stipulate in their adds that this MAY occur when it lands in Australia.

Most times my parts arrive BTW 9-14 days, a few 21 days-ish. by my post office box. Courier generally quicker again.

Other than my 394ci engine, the largest package I got was a ready made O.E.M exhaust system in a box about 8 foot long.

My evilbay postal experiences have been great over the years, no delay in postage from the U.S just the transit can take a bit, hence the 9-14 days. But you get that.

If a seller on evilbay uses that Global post thingy, USE IT, it is great and whenever I used it I always got my presents super quick even quicker than the big companies I buy off.

U.S.P.S and U.S Post both have tracking numbers where you can follow your present through the states and you can see the sites your present visits on its way to you. Occasionally it will drop off line into the ether for a few days, this happens and will re appear so don't stress and plague the sender with 'where is it?' emails as the U.S sometimes use a 'Pre-emptive' arrival date and that is usually very wrong off the mark, like 5 days plus.

Hope this helps.
Maysik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post