Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-12-2016, 11:43 PM   #1
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default A reminder to check your dockets

Just thought i'd put this out there as a reminder to be on the ball with purchases during the silly season.

Went into my local Autobarn today for a wheel stud for my BF as the clowns from Bob Jane had cross threaded one of the lock nuts they installed when I had them fit tyres to the BA XR wheels I bought and I snapped it whilst trying to remove the wheel to fit new slotted rotors and pads
Whilst in there I grabbed a can of brake cleaner as they had Motortech cans on special for $5.99 down from $8.99.
Total bill was $26.99 and away I went.
Later in the day I asked my Wife to grab me another can as the first was getting low after doing the first 2 calipers.
She goes to the checkout with it and it rings up at $8.99. She questions the assistant and they correct the amount due to the sale price of $5.99.
When she got home she checked my receipt from the first can and stud and sure enough it says $8.99.

No worries you might think, simple mistake...

This evening I popped in to my local Supercheap for another bottle of Nulon Dot4 brake fluid as they have them on special for $5.39.
I get to the checkout and it rings up $8.99...
I question the assistant and tell him that's incorrect as the sale price is $5.39 to which he agreed and called the manager to check the shelf.
The Manager comes back and says yeah $5.39 and gives him his override code to correct the purchase price on the computer.
The assistant asks wether he wants him to change the purchase price in the computer permanently to reflect the sale price and the Manager says no.

So I'm standing there thinking, how often is this happening, considering its happened twice to one person, on the same day, on different items, in completely different auto retail chains and neither store corrected their computer to reflect the sale price and avoid over charging their customers.

Something smells fishy and it isn't the prawns in the freezer...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2016, 03:18 AM   #2
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: A reminder to check your dockets

I can offer 1 reason for that and that is that they have missed replacing the ticket when the special has finished, ie it was last weeks/months special. It happens sometimes.
Old 22-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #3
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had the same experience yesterday at Autobarn, on a Jaycar item. Hmm...
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #4
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
I can offer 1 reason for that and that is that they have missed replacing the ticket when the special has finished, ie it was last weeks/months special. It happens sometimes.
Agreed, if it were a once off i'd say you were on the money, but for it to happen twice in the same day at different retail outlets, to the one customer.
Too coincidental for my liking, especially with all the sale items people are throwing into their trolleys and whisked through the checkouts at this time of year.
When my Wife questioned the assistant in Autobarn she didn't even ask anyone to check it to confirm, she just made the adjustment as though she knew it was incorrect, if my Wife had made multiple purchases like I had the first time around she may not have noticed either.
Multiply that by how many customers pass through this week...

The irony is that when I made my purchase I went to grab a couple of 600ml bottles of coke just as the assistant gave me the total price for the can and the wheel stud and when it came to $26.99 I dropped them back in the fridge because I figured a $26.99 raping for a stud and can of reduced brake cleaner was enough for one day.
So when I go back today for my $3 refund they will have not only missed out on that little bonus, but the markup on 2 bottles of coke too.
FU Autobarn
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find this all the time, almost every single time I go to buy something this happens.

Especially in supermarkets where you but 50 items, and you are packing trolleys and moving groceries onto the conveyor, then they make you feel bad as the person behind starts rolling their eyes when you question the price.

I honestly think it's just standard business practice, as most people would not even notice and plenty of people are too shy or self conscious to question the price.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #6
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I find this all the time, almost every single time I go to buy something this happens.

Especially in supermarkets where you but 50 items, and you are packing trolleys and moving groceries onto the conveyor, then they make you feel bad as the person behind starts rolling their eyes when you question the price.

I honestly think it's just standard business practice, as most people would not even notice and plenty of people are too shy or self conscious to question the price.
And god help the person behind when you do prove the price was wrong, and they don't want to honour their own policy, clearly on display....

Had it happen when I bought 6 boxes of Pepsi Max on sale. They scanned at the old price. Checkout person had to confirm with the "department manager" despite the tower of boxes being just metres away, with the price in clear view of her checkout. Don't know if it was true or not, but I was told "he's on a break, just pay it" - which I refuted.

Finally got the supervisor over, and she said "oh, we'll drop the price back to the right price then." thinking that would be it.

I pointed out the first incorrect item is free, then each item after has to be charged at the right price, so she needs to deduct one off the qty.

They argued it didn't apply to goods over $5. I had to argue back that it's $50, not $5. Then they tried to say it only applies to individual items. I countered that by saying "yeah, the box may have 30 in it, but the box itself has it's own PLU code doesn't it?" - at which point she mumbled to the girl "we've got a smart one, better put it through."

I glared at her, and pointed to the little sign - it's right there smart ***.

At every turn they tried to get out of it. And I wonder if the 'he's on a break' term is a code word for "waste their time until they give up" ??
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

On the up side, I received this email from Big W today.......

Old 22-12-2016, 10:39 PM   #8
mcsweenyfives

At my local woolworths prices are always incorrect so it's just how much t you can walk away with for free. They have no problems with fully refunding the full price paid and giving you the product for free

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
mcsweenyfives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 09:47 AM   #9
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Use the calculator on your phone next time you do the weekly shopping. Often the amount on the docket and the calculator don't match.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #10
scoupedy

If it scans wrong your suppose to get it for free my mother gets tons of **** for free. She ate whiteting fillets from Woolworths for a year for free. New fans all sorts of stuff nearly gets free stuff every week or so the local managers and staff know her well and never argue just hand back her money.
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #11
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post

Don't bother at the checkout just go up the service desk as for service manager.
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2017, 06:31 PM   #12
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing to do with overcharging, but just recently I bought a couple of tubes of Silastic at Bunnings @ $8.95 each paid at the self service, just scanned them and paid by credit card, when I got home I looked at the receipt and I had been charged just over $280 as apart from my Silastic it also had that I had bought a letter box on the receipt, so I went straight back and was treated like a thief as they doubted me. Anyway after arguing and demanding to see the manager they agreed to check the security cameras which took nearly an hour and what had happened a customer had bought the letterbox up to the girl on the self serve checkout to get a price check which she did but never cleared it and silly old muggins here just scanned his two tubes of Silastic and the letterbox was added to my sale, but if I hadn't noticed it for a few days and the security camera cleared I would not have had a leg to stand on, but I check now.
barrys123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2017, 09:09 AM   #13
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrys123 View Post
Nothing to do with overcharging, but just recently I bought a couple of tubes of Silastic at Bunnings @ $8.95 each paid at the self service, just scanned them and paid by credit card, when I got home I looked at the receipt and I had been charged just over $280 as apart from my Silastic it also had that I had bought a letter box on the receipt, so I went straight back and was treated like a thief as they doubted me. Anyway after arguing and demanding to see the manager they agreed to check the security cameras which took nearly an hour and what had happened a customer had bought the letterbox up to the girl on the self serve checkout to get a price check which she did but never cleared it and silly old muggins here just scanned his two tubes of Silastic and the letterbox was added to my sale, but if I hadn't noticed it for a few days and the security camera cleared I would not have had a leg to stand on, but I check now.
Lol, who doesn't look at the price thats going through? I check everything i buy so that its close to the mark. Anything over a few dollars more than i'm expecting i question it.

Those self serve checkouts have a huge display that shows ou the price, and then it shows on the card swiper too.
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2017, 01:01 PM   #14
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Lol, who doesn't look at the price thats going through? I check everything i buy so that its close to the mark. Anything over a few dollars more than i'm expecting i question it.

Those self serve checkouts have a huge display that shows ou the price, and then it shows on the card swiper too.
I double check now, but that time I just swiped my items put my card in and PIN number and walked out after grabbing the receipt.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #15
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I double check now, but that time I just swiped my items put my card in and PIN number and walked out after grabbing the receipt.
It's even easier to miss the amount with tap & go - especially if it's somewhere that you don't see the screen, or it's hard to see (like in a drive-thru).

At least they are capped at $100 though, before needing a PIN, so you'd wake up to it if it was as bad as the letterbox incident.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:04 PM   #16
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I worked retail for over 10 years, and it never ceased to amaze me how people thought we were out to rip them off. Every day there are hundreds of price tickets that need to be replaced and generally this is left to one person without a lot of time given. So there will be some that get missed. We don't want to steal your money.

There's two types of people. One type will just point it out in a friendly manner and 99% of staff will be more than happy to correct it without my fuss what so ever. Then there's the imbeciles who carry on as if we have tried to steal their first born son. These are the ones who will get our back up and we will be in no mood to make things easy for them. Human error occurs in every industry every day, no need to be a dick about it. One thing our job does not involve is tolerating rude idiots.

Again, they don't want to steal your money.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #17
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The girl who gives you back $10 change from your $50 note for a $10 purchase. Then she claims you only gave her a 20. That's happened to myself & several others I know, and it's brazen theft. So some in retail are out to steal your money.....
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2017, 10:45 PM   #18
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
The girl who gives you back $10 change from your $50 note for a $10 purchase. Then she claims you only gave her a 20. That's happened to myself & several others I know, and it's brazen theft. So some in retail are out to steal your money.....
Make a complaint and the company is obligated to count the tally of cash up in the cash register & compare to the sales dockets of the day to balance out.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2017, 10:54 PM   #19
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I worked retail for over 10 years, and it never ceased to amaze me how people thought we were out to rip them off. Every day there are hundreds of price tickets that need to be replaced and generally this is left to one person without a lot of time given. So there will be some that get missed. We don't want to steal your money.

There's two types of people. One type will just point it out in a friendly manner and 99% of staff will be more than happy to correct it without my fuss what so ever. Then there's the imbeciles who carry on as if we have tried to steal their first born son. These are the ones who will get our back up and we will be in no mood to make things easy for them. Human error occurs in every industry every day, no need to be a dick about it. One thing our job does not involve is tolerating rude idiots.

Fair enough, will you be honest and tell us the ratio of mistakes in favour of the retailer compared to the customer.

I ask because I cant recall a time when I've purchased something and its scanned for less than I should have paid, these simple mistakes always seems to be in favour of the retailer.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2017, 11:18 PM   #20
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Fair enough, will you be honest and tell us the ratio of mistakes in favour of the retailer compared to the customer.

I ask because I cant recall a time when I've purchased something and its scanned for less than I should have paid, these simple mistakes always seems to be in favour of the retailer.
It's human nature to remember when we were wronged rather than when we've been given a good break. Price changes go through every day, and things scanning for less than they should happens daily. I've sold a $100 BBQ set for less than half price before because the gentleman called me up and pointed out to me that it was scanning for $50, he was willing to pay full price but as a thankyou to him I sold it along with staff discount. None of the 11 other people who had bought one during the morning had bothered to say anything and they would have noticed $50 missing from their bill. So human error led to a pretty decent pay off for the customer.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:25 PM   #21
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That is just a dumb comment. I'm sorry to be blunt but it is.

I've had it happen to me where a customer has given me a $50 but I could have sworn on my life it was a $20. All that happens is the till is balanced and the mistake is found and corrected. You have no idea how many transactions are put through every shift, sometimes the notes just blur past your eyes and you make a mistake.

I have also been in a situation where I have been handed a $20 and they've claimed it was a $50. A quick till balance and check of the security footage finds them out.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:09 AM   #22
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's human nature to remember when we were wronged rather than when we've been given a good break. Price changes go through every day, and things scanning for less than they should happens daily. I've sold a $100 BBQ set for less than half price before because the gentleman called me up and pointed out to me that it was scanning for $50, he was willing to pay full price but as a thankyou to him I sold it along with staff discount. None of the 11 other people who had bought one during the morning had bothered to say anything and they would have noticed $50 missing from their bill. So human error led to a pretty decent pay off for the customer.
Where do you work I'll have to come shopping at your shop.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:40 AM   #23
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Where do you work I'll have to come shopping at your shop.
Haha I'm out of retail now, needed a break. Will get back into it one day, I always liked the people side of it.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #24
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That is just a dumb comment. I'm sorry to be blunt but it is.

I've had it happen to me where a customer has given me a $50 but I could have sworn on my life it was a $20. All that happens is the till is balanced and the mistake is found and corrected. You have no idea how many transactions are put through every shift, sometimes the notes just blur past your eyes and you make a mistake.

I have also been in a situation where I have been handed a $20 and they've claimed it was a $50. A quick till balance and check of the security footage finds them out.
Dumb comment? Really?

Hardly a dumb comment when it's what happened to me.

And to then be treated by the "manager" as a criminal because I dared to challenge it, and he didn't want to be bothered tallying up the till.

I even asked if they could check the security camera footage, only to be told "the cameras don't aim that way, because then we'd be in trouble for looking at people's PIN numbers on the EFTPOS.

Then I was berated by the staff member on the other till for "being the cause of the delay" for the other customers.

Eventually I was proven right, and got my correct change, but no apology was given for wasting over 1/2 hour of my time.

When I commented about this later in the day at the school pickup (it was one of my rare days off) several of the other parents noted the SAME problem with the SAME shop, and the SAME girl. And all had the same problem with the defensive & apathetic attitude from the "manager" who was lucky to be old enough to have left school. 2 of the mothers felt so belittled that they gave up & walked out short-changed.

So hardly a "dumb comment" is it?

And it doesn't take Einstein to work out where the "overs" ended up either.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #25
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have never had an issue with most retail stores correcting wrong prices except once at Bunnings.

Big sale sign saying "Cordyline Red Star $11.98" I pick up the plant, I check the tag that it's a red star cordlyline and take it to the checkout.

It scans up at $22.98 I tell them about the sign and the excuses start
"No that's a different plant"
"A customer must of put this one back in the wrong spot"
"I just sold another one of these and they didn't question the price"

The greeter or whatever they are chirps up and starts agreeing with the person on the register.
I think maybe I read the sale sign wrong so I just buy it at full price. I go straight back into the store and confirm I was correct, take a photo then I take the plant to the returns desk. No questions ask they refunded me the difference.

Quote:
I guess it's easy to make this mistake occasionally after dealing with money all day every day. It's the way the handle the mistake that matters.

A good way to reducing the chances of this happening is say "$50" as you hand it to them. Might make the less likely to make a mistake, or deliberately try to rip you off.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2017, 12:40 PM   #26
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I have never had an issue with most retail stores correcting wrong prices except once at Bunnings.

Big sale sign saying "Cordyline Red Star $11.98" I pick up the plant, I check the tag that it's a red star cordlyline and take it to the checkout.

It scans up at $22.98 I tell them about the sign and the excuses start
"No that's a different plant"
"A customer must of put this one back in the wrong spot"
"I just sold another one of these and they didn't question the price"

The greeter or whatever they are chirps up and starts agreeing with the person on the register.
I think maybe I read the sale sign wrong so I just buy it at full price. I go straight back into the store and confirm I was correct, take a photo then I take the plant to the returns desk. No questions ask they refunded me the difference.

I guess it's easy to make this mistake occasionally after dealing with money all day every day. It's the way the handle the mistake that matters.

A good way to reducing the chances of this happening is say "$50" as you hand it to them. Might make the less likely to make a mistake, or deliberately try to rip you off.
A good practise to get into that most gun retail workers will already know, is to leave the note you were handed sideways across the til, until the person has their change so if they question it you can show them the note they gave.
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #27
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't understand why people use those self service lanes.
Do you get your items any cheaper while you are doing their work for them?

What really grates me though is even more unskilled jobs heading to Centrelink. All for more profits to multi-nationals.

And I can't pack a bag properly.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #28
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Hmm, it may also have been genuinely on special and the reduced price tag was missing so the other 11 paid the correct price at the checkout and old mate became your best customer because he thought you'd found in his favour and saved him a fiddy...maybe
Old 04-01-2017, 10:05 PM   #29
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Hmm, it may also have been genuinely on special and the reduced price tag was missing so the other 11 paid the correct price at the checkout and old mate became your best customer because he thought you'd found in his favour and saved him a fiddy...maybe
If that was the case that would mak my point moot and I wouldn't have use that as an example.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:56 PM   #30
03 GHIA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

As a manager of a store I can't agree with this enough. It's not uncommon to have 2000+ price changes a day, with the same products in multiple locations. Add to that new team members over Christmas that are unfamiliar with products/locations, time constraints, interruptions when assisting customers, phone calls, etc.
That said, where I work we don't question the customers on price unless it seems unreasonable, just reduce it and check/print new tickets after. And it works both ways. Sometimes it's cheaper than ticket price, customers just rarely point it out.

Also, speak nicely to retail workers and you'll be treated with respect back. There are some unpleasant people that we have to deal with day to day, no need to make it worse. The good does outweigh the bad, however.

Previous
White 2003 Fairmont Ghia

First- RIP.
White 1990 Ford Fairmont
Exhaust, intake, cam & lowered.
03 GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post: