Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-08-2017, 09:29 PM   #3211
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 
Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
After being a road cyclist forever I was walking past a cycle store and saw a new fuji track bike in the window. Had to have it! Then the cycling club went to Newport velodrome for a track riding introduction weekend away and I fell in love with track riding. Wish I had discovered it as a teen!
The simplicity and purity of a brakeless, steeply fixed gear bicycle sat well with me. Plus the notion of anything over a minute was an endurance event was super appealing! I'm big and strong rider but stamina has never been my forte'.
On the plus side I can ride for an hour at training with very little risk of abuse from a ****ed of motorist with an axe to grind while wearing the appropriate attire without further abuse.
The fuji is too much for a commute and hasn't ever seen bitumen! But the simplicity of fixed or single and extra workout I get by having no 'lazy gears' makes the most of the hour on the bike I get each way.
A 2 year old daughter doesn't give me much spare time any more
Oh, velodrome. Now I understand. Yes, what a great sport. Glad you discovered it. The fella who runs the local bike shop was on the US Team when younger. When I spec'd out my rigid frame mountain bike with road tyres he told me it looked like a bike he used to ride from Las Vegas to Palm Springs once.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2017, 09:34 PM   #3212
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Sorry to hear about your health also. Hope it isnt serious.

As long as you get out on the bike thats all that matters. Its doesnt matter the speed or distance.
Thanks. Unfortunately, I am not able to do much of anything until I rebuild my blood supply. Taking vitamins and having soup.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-08-2017, 06:15 AM   #3213
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
Oh, velodrome. Now I understand. Yes, what a great sport. Glad you discovered it. The fella who runs the local bike shop was on the US Team when younger. When I spec'd out my rigid frame mountain bike with road tyres he told me it looked like a bike he used to ride from Las Vegas to Palm Springs once.
I think this photo is in here somewhere but...
the Fuji

JP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140101_001.jpg (148.1 KB, 18 views)
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #3214
roKWiz
Cabover nut

All this talk of cycling again has got to get me back on the bike, just been to busy (and lazy)
thought I would post up a story Australian cyclist did years ago on my Super V's.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #3215
adz193
EL XR6

I'm looking at getting a new set of carbon clinchers for my steed... not wanting to spend much more than 2k, suggestions would be most welcome. Need to be able to do a bit of everything... climbing, flat, descending etc

Navy 97' EL XR8
Factory manual | Tickford kit | Pacemakers + Full exhaust
adz193 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #3216
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz193 View Post
I'm looking at getting a new set of carbon clinchers for my steed... not wanting to spend much more than 2k, suggestions would be most welcome. Need to be able to do a bit of everything... climbing, flat, descending etc

Shop around. You'll be bound to see some deals. I would consider getting some custom made ones for that sort of money. Perhaps in a 50mm profile. If you go the big brands, be prepared to spend more than your budget. Anything more than 50mm profile will be annoying in cross winds. Allow some money in your budget for brake pads to suit also.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #3217
adz193
EL XR6

Quote:
Shop around. You'll be bound to see some deals. I would consider getting some custom made ones for that sort of money. Perhaps in a 50mm profile. If you go the big brands, be prepared to spend more than your budget. Anything more than 50mm profile will be annoying in cross winds. Allow some money in your budget for brake pads to suit also.
Really not wanting to spend a fortune. At the moment I have my eye on bontrager's new aeolus pro 3... seem like a decent sort of wheel, 30mm profile which is about as much as i'm after. Pads come with the set which are around $1990. Doesn't seem to be too much around at that price point

Navy 97' EL XR8
Factory manual | Tickford kit | Pacemakers + Full exhaust
adz193 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #3218
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

A break from the road bike chat
Bloody love this thing

Only gripe was it needed a 203 front rotor.

Entered 2017 McKayos at Fallas Creek next month.

Also booked myself a trip to Canada with Blue Dirt MTB next July riding Whistler/Kamloops/Sun Peaks and silverstar MTB parks in British Columbia and hopefully a run on the famous A Line for those that know MTB.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels

Last edited by DJM83; 26-08-2017 at 05:31 PM.
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2017, 09:39 PM   #3219
Danny
GT4.

Sorry DJM, gonna bring this one back to roadies!

Roughly a year ago I remember frothing over Blueoval's new S5. I love Cervelo so much that this one came up in a country bike shop for a crazy price (for being last years colour and spec), and I impulse bought.

I can NOT wait for the weekend to get out on this thing. EDIT: HOLY CHRIST can we get some automatic page fit function in the forum software!?

Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #3220
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
A break from the road bike chat
Bloody love this thing

Only gripe was it needed a 203 front rotor.

Entered 2017 McKayos at Fallas Creek next month.

Also booked myself a trip to Canada with Blue Dirt MTB next July riding Whistler/Kamloops/Sun Peaks and silverstar MTB parks in British Columbia and hopefully a run on the famous A Line for those that know MTB.
How did you go? would love to take my "Fat Bike" for blat down there.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vg6YEvuIX8
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2017, 02:52 PM   #3221
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Sorry DJM, gonna bring this one back to roadies!

Roughly a year ago I remember frothing over Blueoval's new S5. I love Cervelo so much that this one came up in a country bike shop for a crazy price (for being last years colour and spec), and I impulse bought.

I can NOT wait for the weekend to get out on this thing. EDIT: HOLY CHRIST can we get some automatic page fit function in the forum software!?

Mate that is sick. I have a real soft spot for that color scheme on the S3's. Awesome ride man. You're gonna love it. Do yourself a favor and get a custom bike fit done on it. It will be the difference between enduring your ride and loving it!

I have a instagram page dedicated to my bike and riding around Adelaide btw too. search for: mr_velo_cervelo if you so wish.

Great to see another Cervelo enthusiast

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #3222
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That looks gorgeous mate!
Old 26-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #3223
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Mate that is sick. I have a real soft spot for that color scheme on the S3's. Awesome ride man. You're gonna love it. Do yourself a favor and get a custom bike fit done on it. It will be the difference between enduring your ride and loving it!

I have a instagram page dedicated to my bike and riding around Adelaide btw too. search for: mr_velo_cervelo if you so wish.

Great to see another Cervelo enthusiast
Thanks bud will check it out! I have a few bike snippets as well on my insta too. Have already converted the external battery to the new internal battery so I can run the new synchro shift feature. Should be interesting.

Will do the bike fit undoubtedly! First big ride this weekend and I can't wait!! PS, you're right about the colour scheme. I'd been frothing it for ages and ages. Love it. A couple of this years models are green black and white and just don't have the same hot look.

Last edited by Danny; 26-10-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2018, 10:31 PM   #3224
GUTLES
Adam.

Bump! How’s everyones Cycling going?

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2018, 10:40 PM   #3225
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTLES View Post
terrible. lucky to have ridden 1000km in the last 6 months. finding it hard to find the time to get out there. young family, shift work, dad/husband/family duties etc. started riding to work at the beginning of last year to keep the km's ticking over, and apart from a few weeks recovering from a knee injury, lasted 7 months or so until i got sick of riding in the horrible adelaide winter weather. unfortunately, as soon as i stopped, the motivation just disappeared.

tour down under here at the moment, but its also 40deg, so riding will have to wait a little longer before i get back on the horse. 3 years ago i was doing over 6000km/yr. last year i only just cracked 4500....

its starting to show when i get on the scales now so i need to get back into it
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2018, 09:19 PM   #3226
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
I’ve been a little slack as well.....
This year I’ve been on 2 short rides @ 25klm each.

I got out today and did 24 klm in 37 degree heat with some decent headwind as well in Melbourne.

I need new tyres , new legs and new enthusiasm lol....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2018, 10:09 PM   #3227
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I've been having niggling knee problems. It seems I have a tear in my meniscus in one knee, which makes it prone to developing Baker's Cysts. I've been off it a while, and did a few rides to find a different pain in the same knee, which might be from a tight hip flexor.

Went to ride to work a couple of days ago, and I hit a rock or something, and it gave me a pinch flat. That's when I found my CO2 inflator was for a Presta valve, not the Schrader valves I have.

I have to get back into it, so I can do my annual fundraising ride in June for Multiple Schlerosis.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

@GasoLane;
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #3228
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Damn hot in Chiltern where I'm staying/working but are getting some good MTB rides in and around the Ironbark forest on Ubber, one of my retro Super V's.
So many kangaroo's here at the moment, narrowly missed the biggest grey I've ever seen yesterday arvo, on of all trails, the Wallaby Track.

4 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #3229
robertmanziel
Starter Motor

Nice bike! I am thinking on buying one. Just for exercise, shedding some weight during weekend runs.
robertmanziel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2018, 09:31 PM   #3230
GUTLES
Adam.

Some photos from recently, been getting out a bit

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2018, 11:10 PM   #3231
prydey
Rob

nice bike, but that seat needs to come down at the front by the look of that pic, unless its just the camera angle. Saddles should be level, or close to.

nice scenery for riding.
Old 16-02-2018, 11:17 PM   #3232
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
nice bike, but that seat needs to come down at the front by the look of that pic, unless its just the camera angle. Saddles should be level, or close to.

nice scenery for riding.
Good eyes Rob! Was adjusted to level straight after that ride!

Old 17-02-2018, 12:15 PM   #3233
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Some photos from recently, been getting out a bit
No pictures just the photobucket hosting symbol shows on my compu.

Old 17-02-2018, 12:44 PM   #3234
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
No pictures just the photobucket hosting symbol shows on my compu.
yep, they were there yesterday.

i use postimage.org these days. i don't think you even need an account if you don't want. its free also.
Old 17-02-2018, 01:47 PM   #3235
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
yep, they were there yesterday.

i use postimage.org these days. i don't think you even need an account if you don't want. its free also.

Easiest way to upload pics is to take them on your phone and upload them via Tapatalk using the medium image setting.
Old 19-02-2018, 10:04 PM   #3236
GUTLES
Adam.

Try again:

2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #3237
roKWiz
Cabover nut

One I've just rebuilt with some upgraded X9 Sram components 1999 Super V Raven.
Looking forward to riding it off road but don't want it getting dirty.

2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2018, 06:26 PM   #3238
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
One I've just rebuilt with some upgraded X9 Sram components 1999 Super V Raven.
Looking forward to riding it off road but don't want it getting dirty.

That is one different looking bike for sure.
Old 23-02-2018, 05:34 PM   #3239
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
That is one different looking bike for sure.
Cutting edge technology back then, hand laid coloured carbon wrapped magnesium or cast aluminium skeleton.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:16 PM   #3240
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just ordered this little baby, can’t wait.