Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 08-10-2016, 07:39 AM   #1
Mondoman
Starter Motor

Default Citroen C5 X7 comparison

My son has just purchased a 2011 Titanium TDCI wagon. I drive a 2011 Citroen wagon with same motor with a Aisin 6 speed auto. I rate the Mondeo a better vehicle in almost every aspect save suspension (which is why I buy Citroens). We have just done some extended driving together through Victoria and some "rally" driving on the dirt roads around Clare, SA. If I was in the market for another vehicle, a Mondeo would be it (and I drive a lot of very good vehicles).

The Powershift is seamless, the engine and transmission combination is far superior (a sports car versus heavy wagon feel). The amplifier and speakers are grades better, safety features are greater. Seating is on a par. On the negative side the door closing sound on the Ford is a little tinnier than the Citroen (personal fad). No wonder this vehicle has been the class leader over so many models (years).

Can someone tell me if the ride height on the Zetec model is any higher than the Titanium model.

I find this forum is very much better than that of Aussiefrogs as there are so many more contributors being a lot more owners. For example the thread on the suspension renovation by Cobrin is just fantastic, me being an amateur car restorer.
Mondoman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #2
Binny

Default Re: Citroen C5 X7 comparison

Thanks for your feedback Mondoman.
Its always good to get an outsiders opinion. Out on the open road is where I think the Mondeo (and Powershift) really shine so I'm not surprised you really enjoyed your road trip in it.
Crawling along in heavy traffic everyday like I do it can be a bit finicky but you get used to it after a while. I can understand why people used to a conventional auto have a WTF moment the first time it pulls in the clutch while you are idling along at 10ish in traffic.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #3
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The MC Titanium models (both EcoBoost and TDCi) run Lowered Sports Suspension. Not sure what the actually drop is (I suspect 10 / 15mm).
I have previously owned an MC Titanium Wagon and an MC Titanium Hatch (TDCi), also an MC Zetec EcoBoost. I found the ride very similar on all...

I have never driven a Citroen C5, however I almost purchased a Peugeot 508 GT with 19" wheel and I found the ride in that heaps better than the Mondeos.

Although now with the MD Titanium I have Adaptive Suspension and it is better again!!! (Ride quality that is!)
Old 08-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondoman View Post
For example the thread on the suspension renovation by Cobrin is just fantastic, me being an amateur car restorer.
Ah you're too kind, you're right though the users make it brilliant and there's something about the Mondeo Thread in that 'we' users are respectful and genuinely helpful without the bravado phallus measuring knuckle dragging protecting ya sisters honour kinda affair.

Yeah closing the doors is quite the Agricultural experience, I've thought many times in applying sound deadening but I'm unsure about it. The MD sounds better but still is far away from even a Honda Euro Lux of 2004 doors which is a shame.

My Zetec with standard suspension spring heights were F:385mm, R:365mm the sports suspension varied from 30mm-40mm lower from what I came across.

I agree that the MD Adaptive Suspension is the ducks nuts, absolutely brilliant to change on the fly to suit your wants at the time: Normal/Comfort/Sport.

And you notice the change...impressive

edit: One thing I did note with the MD is the rear suspension, if you roll over a medium to sharp speed bump or any medium drop off (thinking concrete lip) the front drops as expected and is all good, but the rear it drops off sharp and is harsh. Haven't tried different settings to see if that's the difference with it but will have to one day.

Last edited by cobrin; 08-10-2016 at 08:30 PM.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2016, 09:28 PM   #5
Mondoman
Starter Motor

Yes, the Titanium seems to sit at least 25 mm lower than rest of models. I suggest that this must improve road holding, albeit at the expense of undulation absorption - just depends what you want.

The Citroen has 2 levels of suspension setting. It is somewhat difficult to sense the difference at low speed, however the "sport" setting is obvious when you give the car some welly in the twisty bits.

It is quite amazing how a different transmission and computerised accelerator system can change the response and general driving experience for an identical engine and I suggest mapping (120 kw and 340 nm). Steering assistance is pretty similar to the Citroen.

I must say that the Zetec ticks most of the boxes for me save and except the upholstery material. Having said that after 10 years of use I reckon the Zetec fabric would be in the better shape.

Getting back to the suspension restoration, was there any degradation of the old springs either loaded (by kids etc) or unloaded compared to the new springs?

Sounds like ope126 has decided "when you are on to a god thing, why not stick to it". I can't see myself going down the SUV route any time soon. I enjoy my driving too much for that!
Old 09-10-2016, 12:46 AM   #6
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondoman View Post
I must say that the Zetec ticks most of the boxes for me save and except the upholstery material. Having said that after 10 years of use I reckon the Zetec fabric would be in the better shape.

Getting back to the suspension restoration, was there any degradation of the old springs either loaded (by kids etc) or unloaded compared to the new springs?
lol you're right on the money about the upholstery, I've changed my fabric door cards that had deteriorated like roof fabric that sags. I bought Titanium spec door cards to replace them and leather/plether/whateva it is, is lovely. $90 scored there.

as for the suspension yeah they were tired, load the kids in it sat very low and had minimal left for comfort/height. With both my hands on the top of the spring I could with high force push/bounce on it and get 10/15mm movement, on the new springs they didn't budge or didn't feel to move.

Using the spring compressor on the old it was easy to compress I could do full 360 Deg turns with the ratchet. The new springs were much harder and took their toll on the compressors and on me eventually managing ~90 Deg turns at a time with plenty of resistance, I pitched the spring compressors after the job.

With the kids in the vehicle there's a satisfactory drop nothing excessive I eye balled it today with my two boys 9/11, I had 3 bikes on the bike rack so preloaded, kids jumped in and it looked to be 3cm by eye, what's more important is I still have plenty of height for actual use with the whole Family.

I had thought in the first week it was jacked up way to much and abnormal, like I had torqued up the suspension bolts locking it solid, that's how much of a big deal the old tired set was. Thrilled to say No it's all great and now I know a better normal (pun included)

I reckon I'd like the shocks to have more damping affect but that's personal opinions on suspension, it's fabulous as it is. Everything is more pleasurable and hits the target.

Last edited by cobrin; 09-10-2016 at 12:56 AM.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2016, 01:58 AM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mondomsn, I'm a little surprised that you rate the Mondeo drivetrain so much better than the Citreon. I have a MB with the Aisin 6 speed, and am quite happy with it. It doesn't have the response of the Powershift box, but Sport mode is well matched to the engine. I normally use it in manual mode when having fun, which works well for me.

I have the NZ base model wagon, which is speced a little higher than the LX. On the standard suspension with 16" wheels, the ride is very good. It isn't a sports car, but up to a point the handling is fine. I must admit that once or twice I have followed a Commodore SV6 on winding roads and had no difficulty keeping up. One driver just moved over eventually to let me pass!

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2016, 07:47 AM   #8
Mondoman
Starter Motor

OK, it may not be the Powershift totally which makes the Mondeo so much more fun to drive but there is something there. When my son comes to Tassie at Xmas we will do some testing, just like Wheels magazine. I will report back then. Come to think of it, his 2006 Peugeot 407 HDI (diesel) with the old 2 litre motor, same as the MA and MB TDCI is more responsive as well but I put that down to a good 100 kg less. Having a better driving position and looking down the bonnet to the road certainly gives a psychological better feel.

I was interested to read in this forum the comparison between the TDCI upgrade from 97kw to 120kw and how it was achieved. This same upgrade took place at the same time with the Peugeot and Citroen (PSA) HDI's. As I am a non-hoon these days, at 68 give me comfort, Newton Metres (torque) is my need. I rarely rev the ring out of the car, in fact I doubt whether I've never gone over 5000 revs in anger. That's why I drive a diesel. With a trailer on the back and a hill to go up, it can still keep up a good gait.

So, its not all about mapping. The manufacturers map to give a compromise between fuel consumption and performance. Changing the chip to get more oomph is going to affect fuel consumption is it not?