Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 26-01-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default rules? can i still race at street meet calder with engine swap?

assuming yes as many cars would, Dads got a P76 v8 in a 1970ford transit van, been there for years reliabilty no issue(not planning to take this as its no longer rego and tired, just an example) my car is a ford but not a ford motor(SORRY) much like capris with chevs etc,
can i just front up as i did 8 years ago scrutineer looks under bonnet for leaks and overflow bottle, checks pedal height brakes and seatbelt and says off you go?
if so you'll see me at calder soon.
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 10:23 AM   #2
BJ
Banned

I dont see why not?
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #3
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH7472
I dont see why not?
forgot to mention its not engineer certified yet
Old 26-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #4
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You will see HEAPS of cars that will never pass an engineers inspection there. The guys there want to make sure it is safe rather than meets all the criteria of an engineers inspection , which would take quite a few hours per car !
If you have done a bodgey job on the conversion then I wouldn't bother. If it's safe and well done then you should be fine.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #5
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PS. Fess up .. what have you done to what ford ??
Old 26-01-2005, 11:17 AM   #6
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
You will see HEAPS of cars that will never pass an engineers inspection there. The guys there want to make sure it is safe rather than meets all the criteria of an engineers inspection , which would take quite a few hours per car !
If you have done a bodgey job on the conversion then I wouldn't bother. If it's safe and well done then you should be fine.
thanks guys its a neat, safe conversion but i have to fix power steer leak first,(if its the box,simple if its the pump may be a while away) no chance of me oiling down the track through negligence, theres not enough racing time as it is.
Old 26-01-2005, 11:24 AM   #7
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
UMmmm.... well i'll keep it a secret but if you guess corectly i'll confirm.
it was something i was about to do myself as i'm soon to buy a car(still going to buy it!) worhty of ingesting a few grand cash. however i just happened to come across one that is almost exactly what i was planning for basically the cost of conversion, albeit i was going to do manual this ones auto, expensive upgrade anyway over $2000 for manual setup so auto will stay.
ps one forum member here knows hopefully he wont tell till Calder debut(not expecting a rocket but hopefully mid 15s)

Last edited by deankdx; 26-01-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 26-01-2005, 11:35 AM   #8
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nothing like a cortina with a RB20 or along those lines??
Old 26-01-2005, 11:48 AM   #9
Work Horse
Budget Racer

The street meets at Calder are not sanctioned by ANDRA. I don't think the Calder guys are as strict. As XA Coupe says as long as it's a good job you should be fine. If your car is not registerable, they will look harder.

On this topic, I have been a little alarmed at what does run at Calder eg cars running 120mph+ without rollcages. An accident would be horrrific and the tabloids would go into a feeding frenzy. Or am I just getting old?
Old 26-01-2005, 01:46 PM   #10
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
nothing like a cortina with a RB20 or along those lines??
its not a cortina its a FALCON, XF even
like an RB or along those lines? ask the maigic 8 ball
Old 26-01-2005, 06:25 PM   #11
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deankdx
its not a cortina its a FALCON, XF even
like an RB or along those lines? ask the maigic 8 ball
please don't tell me it's a holden v6 !!
Old 26-01-2005, 06:52 PM   #12
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
please don't tell me it's a holden v6 !!
no, but it would probably be a good conversion!, stuck my head under today and i'm 99.98% sure its ONLY the steering box, took the one out of my old XE ute and was about to start working on the other when the hail and rain came(no garage) may pencil in Friday 4th feb at calder Barring no more probs.
Old 26-01-2005, 10:02 PM   #13
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
no, but it would probably be a good conversion!, stuck my head under today and i'm 99.98% sure its ONLY the steering box, took the one out of my old XE ute and was about to start working on the other when the hail and rain came(no garage) may pencil in Friday 4th feb at calder Barring no more probs.
Dean sounds like you might be having some fun, the week you are ready for Calder put your name down on the list here, and you will get a discount on your entry and for spectators..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
On this topic, I have been a little alarmed at what does run at Calder eg cars running 120mph+ without rollcages. An accident would be horrrific and the tabloids would go into a feeding frenzy. Or am I just getting old?
Hi Stuart, you must be close for your new engine to debut at Cakder Park.
i think they say 140 mph and you need a cage or is that a chute...anyway i think your right at that speed with no cage it would be very bad..some of those VL turbo street cars do a very high MPH..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 26-01-2005 at 10:03 PM.
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 08:29 AM   #14
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Hi Stuart, you must be close for your new engine to debut at Cakder Park.
Hi Mark, I have repaired my old motor which seems to run fine but I have locked the nitrous away for now. The new motor still sits in bits in the shed, and I change my mind daily weather to just swap the parts into my existing motor or forget commonsence and build something a lot wilder. You know which way I'm leaning!!
Old 29-01-2005, 11:05 PM   #15
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
friday the 4th is a fair chance, going in for repairs on wednesday hopefully no dramas(not really urgent sppedo not working properly and no tacho yet what does 6500rpm sound like) the box was leaking Bad couldn't see it till i sawpped it with the bomb XE ute which will be robbed of any valuble parts and Ebayed,
Old 09-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #16
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
this is whats going on http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...newpost&t=2939
the car won't be going to calder for at least another week due to other electrical issues, trans is computer controlled and is not working as it should, does get all gears but not in the correct fashion. and must be driven manually also, should have just dropped in a T5 everything would be sweet(how long would a T5 last?hmmmm)
Old 26-02-2005, 11:34 AM   #17
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
this is whats going on http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...newpost&t=2939
the car won't be going to calder for at least another week due to other electrical issues, trans is computer controlled and is not working as it should, does get all gears but not in the correct fashion. and must be driven manually also, should have just dropped in a T5 everything would be sweet(how long would a T5 last?hmmmm)

i'll finish blowing things up then i'll get to calder, i was hoping to go on the 25th feb but front UNI joint is knackered, getting fixed on tusday. there was a HG ute BLUE in colour with same motor and 3.08 diff, ran 15.8@90mph 2.5sec 60' mines got 3.45hoping for mid to low 15 now. might get there very soon.