Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 02-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #31
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Front Disk Rotors

Well done, can you give us an update on how they perform once they're bedded in?
Old 02-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #32
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bit more info on the rotors and pads. Rotor part number is RDA7441 and the pads are RDX2038SM. The rotors and pads are common to MA/MB Mondeo 2.3L petrol and 2.0Tdci as well as a Volvo V70/S80.

If anyone wants the contact details for the place where I got them from send me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
Well done, can you give us an update on how they perform once they're bedded in?
I have only had them on for a day and they are getting better. I am going to wait until we have done about 400-500kms before making final judgement but so far so good. They are very quiet so far. The OEM pads used to dust a lot so will see how these RDA Extreme Gold pads go.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #33
Papug

Hi, could you please give me (if possible) the contact number for the place in Perth where I can get front rotors and pads for MA Mondeo.
I haven't got 5 posts yet, so I couldn't send you PM.

Kind regards

Greg
Papug is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #34
whitetdci

hey xtrmn8 any update on the pads?
whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #35
mighty-mon

Hitech brakes in Wangara

https://plus.google.com/114376768529...ut?gl=au&hl=en
mighty-mon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 01:13 AM   #36
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brakes are going good. Been on for close to 15000kms now and no complaints. At one point they got a bit squealy for a couple of 1000 kms but are quiet now. Not even half the amount of dust the OEM pads used to produce.

I bought them through Ringwood Auto Parts in VIC (found them on ebay and called them direct and bought over phone and paid via CC). Spoke to Rob on the phone who orgenised for me to pick them up from local RDA distributor in Perth. Actually I got them couriered to my work for an extra $15.

Give Rob a call on 0397222842 and quote the part numbers above if you have an MA/MB LX or Zetec Mondeo. I think the XR5 may have bigger rotors, but if you supply build date and model etc they will be able to supply the correct parts. Rotors cost me $180 for pair and pads were $45 for the front set.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #37
whitetdci

phone number doesn't appear to connect.
***disregard 5th time it went through
Old 12-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #38
whitetdci

BTW was that quote for the front only or for front and rear and were they slotted or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8
Brakes are going good. Been on for close to 15000kms now and no complaints. At one point they got a bit squealy for a couple of 1000 kms but are quiet now. Not even half the amount of dust the OEM pads used to produce.

I bought them through Ringwood Auto Parts in VIC (found them on ebay and called them direct and bought over phone and paid via CC). Spoke to Rob on the phone who orgenised for me to pick them up from local RDA distributor in Perth. Actually I got them couriered to my work for an extra $15.

Give Rob a call on 0397222842 and quote the part numbers above if you have an MA/MB LX or Zetec Mondeo. I think the XR5 may have bigger rotors, but if you supply build date and model etc they will be able to supply the correct parts. Rotors cost me $180 for pair and pads were $45 for the front set.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #39
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetdci
BTW was that quote for the front only or for front and rear and were they slotted or not?
$180 for front a pair of front discs (not slotted).
$45 for a set of front pads.

Did not ask about rears as I did not need them.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #40
Papug

Thanks XtRmn8 for this valuable information.
I will call Rob tomorrow. Brake West in Mayaree have discs for $186, but asking $99 for the EBC pads.

Finally, to amuse you quote from Ford: rotors $265 each, pads $227 !

Regards

Greg
Old 13-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #41
whitetdci

Thanks for that. I take it that was for the pair of rotors.
Don't forget the famous acronym
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily
Old 13-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #42
XR5FoMoCo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Thanks for that. I take it that was for the pair of rotors.
Don't forget the famous acronym
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily
or correctly, First On Race Day ! (well, mostly...)
XR5FoMoCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #43
whitetdci

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR5FoMoCo
or correctly, First On Race Day ! (well, mostly...)
Found On Rubbish Dump
******** On Rusty Daewoo/Daihatsu/Datsun or for that matter anything else starting with "D"
there are of course many others. But I like Heaps Of Large Dents & Engine Noises lol
Old 13-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #44
Papug

Hi whitetdci,

$186 for 2 rotors, RDA pads $45. Rob from Melbourne has the RDA rotors for $195, pads $45, pick up from Welshpool. His EBC pads were $75.

Yesterday I made a mistake in an amused section. The Ford pads are $317.
The total for 2 rotors, set of pads + labour is almost $1000!!!! That is an unbelieveable rip off!

Regads

Greg
Old 13-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #45
whitetdci

I will have to get mine checked out to see how much meat is left on them. Car has done over 170k so it has had the rotors done at least once, probably twice. I may be lucky and they may be ok for a while.
Old 20-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #46
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

So...do the RDA pads remove the sponginess from the brakes ?

FTWIW, I had my usual mechanic change the fluid at tbe last service in a vain hope of gaining come confidence in the brake pedal feel. No difference so must be a 'by design' feature'.
And at around 15000k, the local dealer checked the spongy brakes and slow-return pedal and said 'all is normal for a Mondeo'. Found a similar effect in a hire car Camry in NZ last January.

I'm hoping that when the time comes to do brakes, a different pad/disk combo with fix the issue as did the change from OEM Conti's to Yokohama's to 'fix' the tramlining (other thread).
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #47
whitetdci

Spongy???? Whhhaat? I need to really be judicious in my application otherwise my eyeballs tend to depart from my cranium at great speed. Spongy, no, touchy, yes!!
Old 22-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #48
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Quote:
......my eyeballs tend to depart from my cranium at great speed. ...!
Most definitiely NOT!!!
The brakes seem to work ok, just not confidence building, so I don't charge into corners any more with this car.
But I can get the pedal to bottom out when held under constant pressure, which I'm professionally informed is not a faulty master cyklinder.
Old 22-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #49
whitetdci

Allan, You definitely have a problem there that needs some urgent attention. Is your brake fluid level dropping? It may be air in the lines, a leak somewhere in the circuit etc. seeing the system is sealed you should not be getting a pedal that goes to the firewall unless there is leak or it has not been bled properly. As to your professional advise, this really depends on how and when your pedal bottoms out. For instance, if it happens all the time then yes it is more than likely not the master cylinder, but if it goes to the floor and when you take your foot off and re apply it to the pedal and it goes hard, then it more than likely is the master cylinder. Either way you have a problem. Remember brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water from the air) so it should be changed regularly so as not to rust out components in your system. I would start by getting your whole system inspected and flushed out by a qualified brake expert. I know you have had it done by your mechanic. As to the dealers comment, what a load of rubbish!! I would love to have a face to face with him!! Let us know how you go. You can take my Mondy for a drive to feel the difference if you are close by. PM me if you like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
Most definitiely NOT!!!
The brakes seem to work ok, just not confidence building, so I don't charge into corners any more with this car.
But I can get the pedal to bottom out when held under constant pressure, which I'm professionally informed is not a faulty master cyklinder.

Last edited by whitetdci; 22-07-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 23-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #50
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Whitetdci...like I said earlier, when sitting at the lights with the pedal under pressure, I can get it to bottom out - this is my 'feels spongy' comment.
The dealer service manager said 'all Mondeos are like that'. Discussion ended with him abusing me - and I quote him 'don't be rude'. So you might see my lack of faith in the whole service situation.

Funny, but many years ago (30yrs?) my 74 Falcon had a similar problem, resolved by a rebuild of the master cylinder, resulting in nice firm brakes that never 'bleed away'.
In that same discussion with the Service Manager, I also mentioned that the pedal seemed slow to return to the 'off' position. This would be consistent with bleed-by of the valve in the cylinder i.e. fluid both sides that needs to be on the brake fluid side only. More prevalent when hot, and it did not display symptoms at the dealer-check time (@ 15K kms, now 37K kms).

Let me also state that there are certainly some very good dealer mechanics and service managers out there. e.g. The interstate dealer from whom I purchased the car. I just have a local problem here.

The car was a Jan10 Build , which I bought in Jul10. So yes, it was probably sitting around for a while once in Oz.

As for my non-dealer mechanic, I've been using his business for nearly 30 yrs, across 2x Honda's, 1 Subaru, 3x Ford's and even a Nissan. I trust him with my own and my childrens safety. He did a full bleed and flush of the Mondeo brakes in January this year. But being under warranty, he was not able to touch the 'hardware' (i.e. cylinder internals), only the fluids. No change to pedal feel (as expected).

And then there are my classic cars I rebuild myself (20yrs)....paint, panel, electrical, mechanical, soft trim, everything.. but no electronics. With all due repect to properly trained mechanics out there, I think I have some idea about what is going on with basic things like brakes (and I know when I need professional help to solve problems).

Sorry folks for hi-jacking this 'rotors' thread with this off-topic discussion. Just trying to understand what is the 'norm' for these vehicles.
Old 23-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #51
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Allan,
I have a '12 model TDcI, and your symptoms are DEFINITELY not evident in my car.
Good luck with the dealer.
Maybe a call to Ford cutomer service could be in order.

Steve
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #52
whitetdci

Allan, I didn't mean to offend you or demean your mechanic. As for the ford service manager, what a richard cranium!! There is no way this would be normal on any car as it is just plain dangerous. If you are still under warranty I would take the car to another dealer and as whitelion says call Ford customer service (if they are worth their salt.) failing that go to fair trading. That DH service manager knows very little. Sounds like the guy in the panel shop that tried to tell me that "orange peel" was a factory paint finish. They re did it after they found out they were talking to someone that actually knew what he was talking about. Nice try. Hope it all goes well mate
Old 24-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #53
mighty-mon

Guys

On the Mondey the clutch (if manual ) shares the brake fluid so im told. Thus both must be flushed simultaneously. Hope this helps.
Old 24-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #54
Ros5co
Zetec MC Hatch TDCi

Just to confirm my Zetec MC TDCi has wicked brakes with no sponginess at all. They also work very well in hard braking situations, I had to stop in a hurry once since buying the vehicle & was very impressed with the performance. My daughter in the back of the car with her three month old daughter commented on how well we stopped also.

These brakes took me quite a bit to get used to coming from a AE Fairmont wagon & as whitetdci said they can be real grabby if your not careful with them & I never have the pedal start sinking to the floor when stopped.

Cheers,
Ros5co is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #55
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Hi all, thanks for the support.
Need to find my brave pills and try a different dealer.
Old 24-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #56
Ros5co
Zetec MC Hatch TDCi

Probably a good idea Allan. Just drove home & made a point of pushing hard on my brake pedal while stopped & it definitely did not budge let alone reach the floor.
Ros5co is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #57
whitetdci

I would love the dealers name who told you that crap
Old 31-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #58
digbc

I recently read an article about brake pads in australia and it referred to the fact that pads on european sourced cars are much harsher on discs as a consequence of having to pull cars up from higher speeds that they achieve
on there autobarns / highways .It also mentioned that more brake dust was also a by product from this as well .Cant remember name of mag at the moment but was a very good article .
digbc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #59
mighty-mon

Just put new EBC rotors and EBC red pads on my MB Mondy with new Dot5 fluid.
Hell...... these brakes now stop on a dime and with such force. Im over the moon with them given she has just got a bit of a hike in horse power ..wink wink.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #60
whitetdci

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty-mon
Just put new EBC rotors and EBC red pads on my MB Mondy with new Dot5 fluid.
Hell...... these brakes now stop on a dime and with such force. Im over the moon with them given she has just got a bit of a hike in horse power ..wink wink.
More info please, like how much and what sort would be nice as would a pic