Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-01-2022, 05:51 PM   #1
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Hilux #1 for 21. Vfacts December.

Hilux again #1 seller for 2021, but Ranger is hunting it down after once again outselling Hilux in December.
Ranger easily Australia’s #1 4x4 for 2021.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...QKo5F1fuvLcQuB
Old 06-01-2022, 07:25 PM   #2
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Hilux #1 for 21. Vfacts December.

I was hoping the Ranger would steal a cheeky win for the year total. That said, Ford have done well to chase down the leader in recent years.

Ford December 2021 -

Ford Escape – 310
Ford Everest – 632
Ford Fiesta – 5
Ford Focus – 41
Ford Mustang – 70
Ford Puma – 156
Ford Ranger 4x2 – 417
Ford Ranger 4x4 – 3747
Ford Transit Bus – 9
Ford Transit Custom – 28
Ford Transit Heavy – 19
Ford total – 5434

Ford Total for 2021 -

Ford EcoSport 1
Ford Endura 23
Ford Escape 1,673
Ford Everest 8,359
Ford Fiesta 342
Ford Focus 735
Ford Mondeo 4
Ford Mustang 2,827
Ford Puma 3,218
Ford Ranger 4X2 4,293
Ford Ranger 4X4 45,986
Ford Transit Bus 168
Ford Transit Custom 2,488
Ford Transit Heavy 1,263
Ford Total 71,380
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-01-2022, 09:39 PM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Toyota’s ute topped the vehicle charts for the sixth consecutive year, according to the latest industry figures released today. The rival Ford Ranger was the most popular model in December, but total 2021 sales of 50,279 trailed 52,801 HiLux registrations.
That’s fair enough,
Ranger trailing Hilux by around 2,600 sales but Ranger leads 4x4 Ute sales.
Never thought I’d see Ford back at 71,300 sales. (sure, Toyota Mazda and Hyundai ran away with it)

Last edited by jpd80; 06-01-2022 at 09:44 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2022, 10:38 AM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The supply issues for hilux didn’t really happen. There were stories that they were going to have bugger all supplies for the last few months of the year. But then again, i think that was a josh dowling article. So no surprise it turned out to be bs.

Ranger keeps getting closer to no 1. Just a matter of time before it gets there.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2022, 11:38 AM   #5
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really think that if Ford were to bring the Maverick to this market it would kill the dominance of Toyota in the 4X2 Market.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2022, 11:58 AM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2022 will be the Rangers year. Assuming they don’t have a stock shortage like every newly released vehicle these days.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2022, 12:13 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I really think that if Ford were to bring the Maverick to this market it would kill the dominance of Toyota in the 4X2 Market.
Only comes as a dual cab Ute but that would have broader appeal to the SUV buyers…….
It might be just the ticket to creating a new segment that no one else is really covering….
Old 07-01-2022, 12:42 PM   #8
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
ford really need to make a single cab auto low rider. if they did that they would clean up
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2022, 12:49 PM   #9
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Young (younger than me) bloke next door recently replaced a fairly new BMW SUV with a new Ranger. What's behind the Ranger's success? Is it the styling (rough/tough image), great marketing, its performance, or all three?

Giant Cranium: "ford really need to make a single cab auto low rider. if they did that they would clean up"

Agreed: a heap of Hilux sales must be for the single cab/aluminium tray. I don't see any Rangers like that getting around.

Last edited by xkxlxm; 07-01-2022 at 12:54 PM.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2022, 01:10 PM   #10
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
ford really need to make a single cab auto low rider. if they did that they would clean up
They did but only the px1 from memory. I had a 2013 low rider as a work car and it was good because the majority of underground car parks it would fit with ladders on the roof. The triton that replaced the ranger was a high rider, they all were, and so a 1.9m hight limited car park ladders would have to come off to fit.
The market for trade use is different then for private use.
The majority of people i come across with 4x4 rangers or hiluxs dont off road them, i think its the stigma of its a man car or something like that.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2022, 01:30 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

PX1 has a 2.5L unleaded I4 povvo pack variant, competitor to the Hilux Workmate 2.7L 4x2

They discontinued it at some stage, be interesting if they got support on it now rather than the lack of support in 2011/2012 that lead to it's discontinuation.

The few for sale on Carsales seem to be sitting between $16,000-$18,000 on the second hand market.

I guess profit per vehicle on those models was very low compared to the 4x4 Toorak Tractor the 'average' Ranger buyer is.

Maybe:

Hilux for work
Ranger for status/tough man image/mum's kidmobile we're running FBT scams on

I regularly come across a P plater on my way home, in high spec dual cab 4x4 Ranger but he wears office attire rather than high vis and the Ranger is always shiny and immaculate.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-01-2022 at 01:36 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2022, 01:51 PM   #12
vbomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
Young (younger than me) bloke next door recently replaced a fairly new BMW SUV with a new Ranger. What's behind the Ranger's success? Is it the styling (rough/tough image), great marketing, its performance, or all three?
Guy I know was looking for new car his missus hell bent on a BMW/Mercedes X5/SUV thing....stopped by a Ford dealer jumped in a ranger and ended up ordering it...think its the combination of all 3 for styling the interior is car like recently been jumping in and out of different utes at dealers and for me the ranger still the best
vbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2022, 02:02 PM   #13
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
They did but only the px1 from memory. I had a 2013 low rider as a work car and it was good because the majority of underground car parks it would fit with ladders on the roof. The triton that replaced the ranger was a high rider, they all were, and so a 1.9m hight limited car park ladders would have to come off to fit.
The market for trade use is different then for private use.
The majority of people i come across with 4x4 rangers or hiluxs dont off road them, i think its the stigma of its a man car or something like that.
not an auto.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:04 PM   #14
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
PX1 has a 2.5L unleaded I4 povvo pack variant, competitor to the Hilux Workmate 2.7L 4x2

They discontinued it at some stage, be interesting if they got support on it now rather than the lack of support in 2011/2012 that lead to it's discontinuation.

The few for sale on Carsales seem to be sitting between $16,000-$18,000 on the second hand market.

I guess profit per vehicle on those models was very low compared to the 4x4 Toorak Tractor the 'average' Ranger buyer is.

Maybe:

Hilux for work
Ranger for status/tough man image/mum's kidmobile we're running FBT scams on

I regularly come across a P plater on my way home, in high spec dual cab 4x4 Ranger but he wears office attire rather than high vis and the Ranger is always shiny and immaculate.
i think a petrol one might work now, back then you could have a falcon tray back for the same money.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:25 PM   #15
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Toyota kept the Hilux train going at the expense of the LC70, we haven't had many delays with the Hilux but can't get a Landcruiser trayback without waiting 12-14 months

Hopefully the new ranger offers a larger GVM to get into the cruiser market
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2022, 02:43 PM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Utes and vans: Top Three in each segment in December 2021

Vans < 2.5t Renault Kangoo (44) Volkswagen Caddy (33) Peugeot Partner (10)

Vans 2.5t-3.5t Toyota HiAce Van (916) LDV G10/G10+ (451) Mitsubishi Express (230)

4x2 Utes Toyota HiLux 4x2 (1221) Isuzu D-Max 4x2 (535) Ford Ranger 4x2 (417)

4x4 Utes Ford Ranger 4x4 (3747) Toyota HiLux 4x4 (2600) Isuzu D-Max 4x4. (1475)
Old 07-01-2022, 05:32 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
They do make them. And next gen has low rider single cab as well. Not sure if they sell them here though.

I know they were happy to leave the no profit, bare bones 4x2 petrol market to toyota, to focus production of higher profit dual cab 4x4. Wise move now, especially with supply shortages. But with thailand adding plant capacity for new gen, could eventually open up production capacity for a base cheapy to take on hilux workmate. Most likely a single turbo ecoblue though, not an na petrol.

Some of the other plants build absolute bare bones models to sell into 3rd world countries. Not really suitable for our market though. They strip cost out everywhere.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:59 PM   #18
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
They do make them. And next gen has low rider single cab as well. Not sure if they sell them here though.

I know they were happy to leave the no profit, bare bones 4x2 petrol market to toyota, to focus production of higher profit dual cab 4x4. Wise move now, especially with supply shortages. But with thailand adding plant capacity for new gen, could eventually open up production capacity for a base cheapy to take on hilux workmate. Most likely a single turbo ecoblue though, not an na petrol.

Some of the other plants build absolute bare bones models to sell into 3rd world countries. Not really suitable for our market though. They strip cost out everywhere.
In spite of Ford not pursuing those petrol tradie Utes, Ranger seems to be edging up to Hilux’s sales totals.
I wonder what other value add versions Ford could add to attract more buyers, 2.3 EB/2.7EB engines?
Yeah, I know I’m dreaming because I’m pretty sure that Ford isn’t thinking that way for our region
and importing from say the US LHD volume plant is out of the question as well.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:55 PM   #19
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
A massive oversight to not make the Maverick available globally.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2022, 08:01 PM   #20
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

So the Ranger Car Company did reasonably well in 2021.

What will be interesting to observe in 2022 is if sales increase once the semi conductor supply issues are resolved.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2022, 08:05 PM   #21
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

Ford do not sell and never did sell an automatic low ride ranger. Manuals only.

The company I work for (ventia) has a massive fleet of auto single cab high riders. Absolute pain to park in the city
Old 07-01-2022, 08:07 PM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
So the Ranger Car Company did reasonably well in 2021.

What will be interesting to observe in 2022 is if sales increase once the semi conductor supply issues are resolved.
Those shortages are not ending soon, they’re expected to continue for several years…..
Old 07-01-2022, 11:36 PM   #23
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As mentioned above the market for a lower version is way over looked.
There are plenty of trade / service type people that need to place ladders on the roof and to get into city car parks.

I would have thought that the Maverick would be easy to build in Thailand.

Also how would a 2wd Lowered Raptor sound?
Wide Body, Performance Motor ect.
It would have been called a Lightening up until the name use was changed anyway.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2022, 12:04 AM   #24
hayseed

Quote:
I agree, particularly with Fleet Sales..
That's where Toyota Shines. they can sell a business Hilux's in various Trim & Spec levels...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2022, 09:40 AM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There are plenty of trade / service type people that need to place ladders on the roof and to get into city car parks.
It’s not overlooked, Ford used to have a 2.5 petrol Ute but stopped supply it.
Quote:
I would have thought that the Maverick would be easy to build in Thailand.
Was never developed in RHD, based on C2 Transit Connect which is now being replaced in ROW by VW Caddy version supplied to Ford. Maverick was only ever envisioned as North American product, so would be a wait for a possible LHD - I want to see it here btw…..
Quote:
Also how would a 2wd Lowered Raptor sound?
Wide Body, Performance Motor ect.
It would have been called a Lightening up until the name use was changed anyway.
Lightning.
Ford just doesn’t seem interested in 2WD sales, the 4x4 market is just so much money…
A 2.7 EB 2WD would be a great sports Ute but sadly, I don’t see that happening, ever…..
A low rider 2WD V6 diesel Ute might be an interesting punt……
Old 08-01-2022, 11:46 AM   #26
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Was talking to a salesman from one of the Toyota Dealers we supply to on Thursday about Ranger creeping up on Hilux.
He laughed and said Toyota moved 140k units from the 2021 top 10 list, he also said number 1 spot is overrated and was surprised that Ranger didnt steal it considering the focus was on securing the remaining 200 series by many customers who otherwise would have bought high end Hilux.
He said Hilux is still being hampered by the chip constraints as they need to spread what they get over so many in demand models across their range.

I so wanted it to be a sour grapes moment but he has a point, #1 total sales followed by daylight, #1 vehicle despite strong demand for LC variants and 140k units from the top 10 list of 2021.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2022, 12:35 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
It’s not overlooked, Ford used to have a 2.5 petrol Ute but stopped supply it.
Was never developed in RHD, based on C2 Transit Connect which is now being replaced in ROW by VW Caddy version supplied to Ford. Maverick was only ever envisioned as North American product, so would be a wait for a possible LHD - I want to see it here btw…..

Lightning.
Ford just doesn’t seem interested in 2WD sales, the 4x4 market is just so much money…
A 2.7 EB 2WD would be a great sports Ute but sadly, I don’t see that happening, ever…..
A low rider 2WD V6 diesel Ute might be an interesting punt……
Toyota used to do a v6 petrol low rider. I had a mate who had one. They dropped it due to tiny sales. This was about 10 or more years ago though. They also had the petrol v6 available in other models, which made up about 1% of sales. Which they dropped.

I just don’t know whether petrol v6’s are viable here. Half the problem is them basing their assumptions on how much it has failed in the past. And without going ahead and putting an ecoboost v6 in as an option across the range, then they will have only a vague idea how many they would sell. The other half of the problem is the other countries they sell to want diesel. So making a business plan based on pretty much small sales to australia and new zealand doesn’t really help their case. I guess Raptor having a petrol v6 makes it easy to do in theory. It would slot straight in to other models. But is there demand there outside a few enthusiasts? Especially with petrol heading towards $2 a litre.

A petrol hybrid is what would make the most sense, cause the fuel economy would be as good, or better than diesel. And they can piggy back that off the US version. I’d assume it will probably be a 2.3 ecoboost hybrid though. Considering the US ranger already uses that engine. I have no insight on what the hybrid is at this point.

Last edited by Bossxr8; 08-01-2022 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:00 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Mr Cranium has a great point, who in their right mind would buy single cab 4x2 Hilux/Ranger unleaded edition when the Falcon Ute was around?

1GRFE Hilux makes absolutely no sense when for the same price the Falcon Ute was around at similar prices - Falcon Ute > Thailand Specials.

Now - maybe a V6 Hilux or an Ecoboost Ranger would be a point of difference the market might look at.

What's it cost to add it to the range and keep a couple around? What's the 'minimum order quantity' for Ford Australia to offer it as an option? What's it cost them to have a couple floating around for press mules and a few on hand?

We're talking about things which didn't work 5-10 years ago but the game has significantly changed since then.

The muscled up 4x2 lowrider single cab tray back Thailand Special appeals to this degenerate.

Its two in one - a ute is handy to have, but also car which rips, one car would do the job of two vehicles in my ****box fleet.

Daily + Manny Pacquiao (I know he's Filipino)

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 08-01-2022 at 02:11 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2022, 02:28 PM   #29
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Mr Cranium has a great point, who in their right mind would buy single cab 4x2 Hilux/Ranger unleaded edition when the Falcon Ute was around?

1GRFE Hilux makes absolutely no sense when for the same price the Falcon Ute was around at similar prices - Falcon Ute > Thailand Specials.

Now - maybe a V6 Hilux or an Ecoboost Ranger would be a point of difference the market might look at.

What's it cost to add it to the range and keep a couple around? What's the 'minimum order quantity' for Ford Australia to offer it as an option? What's it cost them to have a couple floating around for press mules and a few on hand?

We're talking about things which didn't work 5-10 years ago but the game has significantly changed since then.

The muscled up 4x2 lowrider single cab tray back Thailand Special appeals to this degenerate.

Its two in one - a ute is handy to have, but also car which rips, one car would do the job of two vehicles in my ****box fleet.

Daily + Manny Pacquiao (I know he's Filipino)
Agreed, I know from my own experience it wasnt too long ago that we considered a Holden Cewman simply because it offered a family mover with the versatility of a decent load space minus the worry of costly diesel repairs/maintenance.
In the end I couldnt bring myself to buy an alloytec equipped vehicle and the VY's with Ecotec was getting too old to be a primary vehicle.
We decided on the early PX2 to avoid DPF issues from using it in urban environments.

A petrol powered Thai dualcab would have been perfect even if it meant an extra $30pw at the pump.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2022, 02:47 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Agreed, I know from my own experience it wasnt too long ago that we considered a Holden Cewman simply because it offered a family mover with the versatility of a decent load space minus the worry of costly diesel repairs/maintenance.
In the end I couldnt bring myself to buy an alloytec equipped vehicle and the VY's with Ecotec was getting too old to be a primary vehicle.
We decided on the early PX2 to avoid DPF issues from using it in urban environments.

A petrol powered Thai dualcab would have been perfect even if it meant an extra $30pw at the pump.
Yep, I don't think I'd do a DPF edition Thailand Special either, too risky even though 90% of my driving is country highways and I flog the crap out of my cars

All you need to do is a set of injectors or a DPF and you'll have bloody underwear.

Probably not a concern for a new car where it's under warranty and you change em out every X years but if you're holding onto it modern diesel is a bit too fragile for us 'value for spondoolies' crew

I've got a leaky injector in my Focus which causes a rough start, I'm not spending $4400+ GST for a set of injectors.