Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-01-2022, 11:35 AM   #1
minheim

Default alloy wheel damage

My daughter has managed to damage her 2014 lancer GSR 18" alloy rim. See attached photos. She will need a new tyre as the sidewall has a chunk out of it but I was wondering if people see any issue with continuing to use the alloy rim as is. I am inclined to think it may just be aesthetic damage which can be attended to later. I posted on another forum I am a member of and the two replies I got suggested this

I am hoping to drive to Melbourne to lend her my second car while i get new tyres and a service done on her car near her.

What do people think of the damage and would a mobile touch up be an option or should i go to an alloy wheel repair business. I have a recommended alloy repair place but they are closed on holiday at present and they would need the wheel for a few days as they are flat out.

Was quite shocked at he price Mitsubishi want for a new wheel - $1140.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lancer gsr 1b.jpg (5.4 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg lancer gsr4b.jpg (7.2 KB, 104 views)
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2022, 11:43 AM   #2
Sam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: alloy wheel damage

Tyre shop will sort you out, they'll know if it's out of round or damaged but from the pics i would suggest the bead of the tyre will seat just fine. I'd reckon it would be easier to find a 2014 GSR 18" rim rather than spend $1140 - here's 4 for $500 https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20375524...frcectupt=true
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2022, 11:50 AM   #3
minheim

Thanks Sam. I was thinking if worse came to worse I might need to look at a set of used VRX rims or even after market rims. Regrettably the GSR wheel is an 8 spoke as opposed to the 10 spoke VRX and as rare as hen's teeth second hand. Have searched online and rung a few place with no luck on the GSR.
This user likes this post:
Old 06-01-2022, 11:53 AM   #4
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh what Sam said, but make sure the ones you get 2nd hand are not buckled to the point where they can't be balanced. Sometimes its hard to spot with the naked eye. Look inside the wheel, thats where a lot of the buckles happen but you wont see it in the ad photos.

With my untrained eye, I reckon you could fix that. Go to a couple of wheel tyre shops and ask for their opinion. There are vids on youtube on how to fix gutter rashes too, if your daughter is interested in learning

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.

Last edited by T3rminator; 06-01-2022 at 11:59 AM.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2022, 12:14 PM   #5
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by minheim View Post
My daughter has managed to damage her 2014 lancer GSR 18" alloy rim. See attached photos. She will need a new tyre as the sidewall has a chunk out of it but I was wondering if people see any issue with continuing to use the alloy rim as is. I am inclined to think it may just be aesthetic damage which can be attended to later. I posted on another forum I am a member of and the two replies I got suggested this

I am hoping to drive to Melbourne to lend her my second car while i get new tyres and a service done on her car near her.

What do people think of the damage and would a mobile touch up be an option or should i go to an alloy wheel repair business. I have a recommended alloy repair place but they are closed on holiday at present and they would need the wheel for a few days as they are flat out.

Was quite shocked at he price Mitsubishi want for a new wheel - $1140.
It depends on how severe the impact was, check for tiny cracking. However it looks like only superficial damage. Unless it was a heavy impact, I would give it a thorough scrub with domestos and an old toothbrush, prep it with coarse wet & dry (180), drill some shallow lug holes for adhesion, place some cardboard between the tyre and rim - then carefully pack it with PlastiBond - as flat and smooth as possible. This might require 2-3 applications. Than sand it back with wet & Dry - various grades Coarse to 1000 (with a small sanding block - to ensure you get a flat surface) - then finish of with primer & matching wheel paint.
Although it might be easier just to get a 2nd hand wheel?

Last edited by stevefreestyle; 06-01-2022 at 12:24 PM.
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2022, 01:21 PM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks fine to me.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2022, 02:14 PM   #7
minheim

Spoke to my regular tyre supplier in Melbourne. He says the real test will be to take the wheel off and to test spin it. Have booked in for Wednesday to do so and have ordered in a new set of tyres. Service will need to wait till mid Feb as he is booked out to then. Fingers crossed it is superficial damage.

Thank you all for the replies to date. Will update after Wednesday.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2022, 04:20 PM   #8
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm assuming the car is in Melbourne?

If so contact Neway Wheels in Heidelberg.

It's been a while but they used to repair damage like that by adding some weld to fill gouge, sand it back into shape, paint it and re-roll to ensure its round for $100 to $130.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2022, 06:25 PM   #9
minheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
I'm assuming the car is in Melbourne?

If so contact Neway Wheels in Heidelberg.

It's been a while but they used to repair damage like that by adding some weld to fill gouge, sand it back into shape, paint it and re-roll to ensure its round for $100 to $130.
Yep; touched base with them yesterday. They are closed till Monday and said to call back then. My tyre guy spoke highly of them.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2022, 07:03 PM   #10
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep; touched base with them yesterday. They are closed till Monday and said to call back then. My tyre guy spoke highly of them.
They are/were a great bunch who did excellent work.

When I first bought my Force 6 the previous owner had lovingly added touches of gutter rash on every wheel. They raised up all the gouges, properly shaped them and somehow painted it with something to match the shadow chrome. Couldn't tell the difference.

Would take them my set of wheels every year or so to roll out the buckles on the inner edge.

Never let me down and always did an exceptional job at a very reasonable price. I wish I still lived near them.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2022, 11:32 PM   #11
GXA
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I've used Neway a couple of times, with great results.

No hesitation recommending them.

2008 FG GT-E - Lightning Strike
2007 BFII Fairmont Ghia - Seduce
2007 BFII Falcon ES - Ego
GXA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:03 PM   #12
minheim

Update - My regular tyre guy checked the wheel and said it was just cosmetic and no issues on test He confirmed the front tyre was a goner with sidewall damage revealing the cord.

New tyres fitted all round. He was surprised the car's wheel alignment was still virtually spot on so no need to do one.

Not going to do a cosmetic repair at this time but may in future.

Thanks again All
5 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2022, 06:26 PM   #13
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Based on the pics it’s fine, but the tyre shop will be able to confirm for sure

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2022, 06:43 PM   #14
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Update - My regular tyre guy checked the wheel and said it was just cosmetic and no issues on test He confirmed the front tyre was a goner with sidewall damage revealing the cord.

New tyres fitted all round. He was surprised the car's wheel alignment was still virtually spot on so no need to do one.

Not going to do a cosmetic repair at this time but may in future.

Thanks again All
Wait until she hits the gutter a few more times before thinking about repairs.
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2022, 12:27 PM   #15
minheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
Wait until she hits the gutter a few more times before thinking about repairs.
Yes was thinking the same. I was also pondering if she has actually been hitting carpark ramp edging at the hospital she works at. Carpark ramps can be quite narrow and tight in elevation turns The rim damage was front driver side and the back driver side rim has some edge rash so less likely gutters. Anyway at least it was superficial and panels show so damage.