Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-12-2021, 08:55 PM   #61
mondeomatureguy

Default Re: On this day in history

Hi Guy's
On this day 13th December in 1642, Dutch navigator Abel Tasman sighted South Island New Zealand.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-12-2021, 07:53 AM   #62
slowsnake
Banned

On 14th December 1932, Great Britain was to pay its debt borrowed during WW1, to the United States the amount of $95,550,000 in gold, the payment was to be brought to New York as promised by Neville Chamberlain!
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2021, 09:50 AM   #63
slowsnake
Banned

On the 15th December 1791 the United States Bill of Rights becomes law.
The first 10 amendments to the Constitution of the United States are known as " the Bill of Rights "
They became law after the State of Virginia ratified the amendments!
Old 16-12-2021, 08:57 AM   #64
slowsnake
Banned

The Boston Tea Party, on 16th December 1773 in an incident at Boston Harbour, American rebels disguised as native American Indians threw 342 chests of British Tea into the harbour!
This act paved the way for the American Revolution!
Old 17-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #65
slowsnake
Banned

On this day 17th December 1843, Charles Dicken's publishes a new book, he calls it " A Christmas Carol "
Old 17-12-2021, 03:19 PM   #66
Loonar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our ex P.M. Harold Holt disappeared on this day in 1967..
Loonar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2021, 11:13 AM   #67
slowsnake
Banned

On this day, 18th December 1865, by proclamation of the US Secretary of State, the 13th Amendment to the Constitution outlawing slavery, officially entered into force, having been ratified on the 6th December...
Old 19-12-2021, 09:44 AM   #68
slowsnake
Banned

China invades Tibet on 19th December 1950, forcing the spiritual leader the Dalai Lama ( Tenzin Gyatso )to leave Tibet!.
Old 20-12-2021, 09:40 AM   #69
slowsnake
Banned

On this day in 1898, Marie and Pierre Curie discovered the radioactive element radium, a silvery white metal that would go on to be used as a cure for cancer.

What legends, it the radiation ended up killing them, so they died to help folk in the future to live!..
Old 21-12-2021, 12:58 PM   #70
slowsnake
Banned

On this day 21st December 1988, terrorists destroyed a Pan Am airliner mid-air over Lockerbie in Scotland, all 258 souls on board lost their lives.
Old 22-12-2021, 06:13 AM   #71
slowsnake
Banned

22nd December 1952, the first Corvette, a production ready prototype is completed.
It is shipped to New York and made its public debut at the GM Motorama held at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel......
Old 25-12-2021, 10:02 AM   #72
slowsnake
Banned

On this day in history, 25th December 2,021years ago, according to your beliefs, a child was born in Bethlehem, they called him Jesus, again depending on your beliefs, that's why ya got a holiday today, so respect it.
Old 18-01-2022, 05:45 PM   #73
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Granville Rail Disaster - January 18th 1977

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1971046426252814

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2022, 12:12 PM   #74
slowsnake
Banned

On this day in history, 27th January, Captain Cook woke up with a monumental hangover........
Old 31-01-2022, 11:47 AM   #75
slowsnake
Banned

It was actually yesterday 30th that British Parachute Regiment opened fire on a civilian march through Bogside, Nth Ireland.
26 civilians lost their lives.
I will not go any further into the politics, but just another day in the past!
Old 07-02-2022, 08:46 AM   #76
roKWiz
Cabover nut

At 7.05 am, 53 year ago today the Melbourne bound Southern Aurora plowed head on into a northbound freight train.
9 people were killed and 117 injured.

The site today is a pleasant spot with a memorial by the railway crossing featuring the pictures above just up the road from my place.

Most of the freght train wreckage was buried in the fields beside the line, I often wondered what it would be like to dig up one of the many Valiants destroyed by the fire which followed.

Interesting youtube film note the northbound "Spirit of Progress" passing through at the end.

Last edited by roKWiz; 07-02-2022 at 08:54 AM.
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2022, 12:07 PM   #77
slowsnake
Banned

A little off topic, but about 1976 a mate of mine who was a Mercantile Agent, asked me if I could fabricate a removable jib to fit a D7 Bulldozer, I said yes if you have material and welding gear, when I asked what it was for he replied, I got a good tip about a dump in the NT, when the Americans dug a big hole and tipped crates of Harley Davidson WLA's in it!.....after WW2

I never got to do it, couldn't get backers he said, he added there may be whole fighter planes crated too!......

Last edited by slowsnake; 07-02-2022 at 12:09 PM. Reason: AUTOSPELL
Old 07-02-2022, 02:19 PM   #78
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
A little off topic, but about 1976 a mate of mine who was a Mercantile Agent, asked me if I could fabricate a removable jib to fit a D7 Bulldozer, I said yes if you have material and welding gear, when I asked what it was for he replied, I got a good tip about a dump in the NT, when the Americans dug a big hole and tipped crates of Harley Davidson WLA's in it!.....after WW2

I never got to do it, couldn't get backers he said, he added there may be whole fighter planes crated too!......
Mate… “The WLA Harleys in crates urban myth” has been around since I was a kid! (Usually also includes “wrapped in grease paper”)
From buried in the ground, to old warehouses full of em just out of Darwin, to stacked crates in an old shearing shed, to Maurie Quincey Honda have 20 of them stacked in his garage at home…
It’s feckin balony.. It’s FALSE, It’s UNTRUE, It’s CRAP.. And total BS!…
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2022, 02:31 PM   #79
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Mate… “The WLA Harleys in crates urban myth” has been around since I was a kid! (Usually also includes “wrapped in grease paper”)
From buried in the ground, to old warehouses full of em just out of Darwin, to stacked crates in an old shearing shed, to Maurie Quincey Honda have 20 of them stacked in his garage at home…
Oh course it's a porky - everyone knows they were buried in Devon, England

https://www.devonlive.com/news/histo...s-true-6321521
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2022, 03:10 PM   #80
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Sooo many of those stories floating around that someone even created a page listing them....

https://www.ozatwar.com/ozatwar/dumped.htm

A lot of those stories also tie in the story of the Brisbane line https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisba...the%20Japanese.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2022, 04:22 PM   #81
slowsnake
Banned

Prove me wrong!......

And while ya at it prove Lassiters lost gold quartz reef wrong!

Last edited by slowsnake; 07-02-2022 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Add a bit
Old 07-02-2022, 04:47 PM   #82
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
I see the myth has moved from Northern QLD to NT , truth be known they are buried in Tasmania.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2022, 10:45 AM   #83
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

On this day (or perhaps the 15th, there are conflicting dates) in 1962, six members of the Red Sales aerobatic team were tragically killed near Dutson whilst training for an upcoming show.

Red Sales Training Accident – East Sale (Four Aircraft/Six Crew)
Thursday 16 August 1962 was a black day for the RAAF when six pilots and four aircraft from The Red Sales aerobatic team were lost at RAAF East Sale, Vic. while training for Air Force week celebrations.

When Group Captain Peter Henderson (CO RAAF East Sale) returned from the UK in 1961 he marvelled at the RAF aerobatic teams. He conceived the notion that the RAAF should have a jet based aerobatic team using pilots from the Central Flying School, RAAF East Sale Vic.

The team would be known as The Red Sales using four De-Havilland T-33 Vampires. The red derived from the aircraft nose colour and sales from East Sale. Training commenced under the command of Flt. Lt. Jim Rhind (RAF) and making their debut on 14 June 1962 as part of No 22 Navigator Course Graduation Ceremony at East Sale.

Through July & August the team flew four practice displays under the command of Flt. Lt. Reg Jones in preparation for their first public performance scheduled for 16th September 1962.

Unfortunately the Red Sales never made their public debut because they were all tragically lost on their fifth training flight.

The team were performing a low level barrel roll in diamond formation when then impacted the ground about 50m on the southside of Dutson Road with the leading three aircraft careering across the road and disintegrating in an adjoining property. The fourth aircraft crashed about 600m with the loss of all four aircraft & six occupants.

Newspaper reports of the day include descriptions of the planes crashing in a sheet of flame as well as a passing sedan having a swerve to miss the aircraft as they ploughed across the road. At least one plane apparently tried to avoid the crash by breaking formation and attempting to gain height.

Killed were Flight Lieutenants Reg Jones (30), Alec Young (30), Mike Dunbar (31), Peter Hearnden (28), Marty Burke (28) & Flying Officer Don Gow (27).

In October 1962 a court of inquiry found that the altitude of the leader was too low to commence the barrel roll. with the rest of the team basically "following the leader"

And another report:

The monument commemorates members of the Red Sales Aerobatic Team of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) who were killed in an accident in August 1962. The cross was restored and rededicated and in 1988 the monument was relocated to the Red Sales Memorial Park.

The Red Sales team was practising for a RAAF Open Day Display and four aircraft struck the ground almost simultaneously in the final stages of completing a lowlevel barrel roll. They crashed in close proximity to each other in a shallow dive and at an estimated speed of over 300 knots. The No 3 in the formation struck the ground slightly ahead and approximately 150 metres to the port side of the others. On impact, three aircraft exploded - wreckage and debris was scattered over a distance of approximately half a mile. The wreckage of No 3 in the formation was not as completely disintegrated as the others as it had 'levelled out' just prior to impact.

All four pilots were staff members of the Central Flying School (CFS), as well as members of the aerobatic team. Additionally, two other CFS staff members were flying as passengers: one as an observer, nominated to eventually replace one of the team members; the other to assist with operation of one aircraft's ancillary controls where the pilot was flying from the right seat. All pilots were very experienced.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2022, 11:37 AM   #84
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I see the world's population is expected to pass 8 billion people today.

The population is expected to top out at 12 billion around 2100.

India is predicted to overtake China as the most populous country some time next year. A future world superpower in the making, IMHO.

The older I get, the more convinced I am that the world is overpopulated. I also believe that this planet would be a much better place without human beings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2022, 01:29 PM   #85
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
I see the world's population is expected to pass 8 billion people today.

The population is expected to top out at 12 billion around 2100.

India is predicted to overtake China as the most populous country some time next year. A future world superpower in the making, IMHO.

The older I get, the more convinced I am that the world is overpopulated. I also believe that this planet would be a much better place without human beings.

Watching the Population Clock this morning and the numbers of Births VS Deaths surprised me, about 2:1...maybe not surprised, but watching the real figures update in realtime was a bit eye-opening I guess. How have we not already overrun our world? Or have we? Whats the worlds perfect population number? Groups study the most stupid of things, so someone must have done a study on this.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2023, 10:54 AM   #86
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Today marks 25 years since an explosion at Esso's Longford gas plant in Victoria tragically took the lives of two people and injured eight others.

https://news.cfa.vic.gov.au/news/25t...-gas-explosion

I was not in Victoria at that time, as I had just started wort in Sydney, so was not directly impacted. My ex-wife (then girlfriend) was still in Sale waiting for me to find a house to live in in Sydney, so was impacted. Most of the residents in Sale had gas water heating, so those with electric water heating became the centre of attention for bathing reasons.

An ex-defence colleague of mine was one of those who was injured in this disaster. He carries the scars with him every day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2023, 11:24 AM   #87
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Today marks 25 years since an explosion at Esso's Longford gas plant in Victoria tragically took the lives of two people and injured eight others.

https://news.cfa.vic.gov.au/news/25t...-gas-explosion

I was not in Victoria at that time, as I had just started wort in Sydney, so was not directly impacted. My ex-wife (then girlfriend) was still in Sale waiting for me to find a house to live in in Sydney, so was impacted. Most of the residents in Sale had gas water heating, so those with electric water heating became the centre of attention for bathing reasons.

An ex-defence colleague of mine was one of those who was injured in this disaster. He carries the scars with him every day.
Yeah that was when Esso,s maintenance people got caught out not keeping the stop valves properly maintained
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2023, 12:40 PM   #88
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Yeah that was when Esso,s maintenance people got caught out not keeping the stop valves properly maintained
There was a bit more to it than just lack of maintenance on stop-valves.

Taken from wikipedia:

Quote:
During the morning of Friday 25 September 1998, a pump supplying heated lean oil to heat exchanger GP905 in Gas Plant No. 1 went offline for four hours, due to an increase in flow from the Marlin Gas Field which caused an overflow of condensate in the absorber. (The plant was complex and the hot oil pump was only one component involved in the accident process; why the pump shut down is complicated and important.)

A heat exchanger is a vessel that allows the transfer of heat from a hot stream to a cold stream, and so does not operate at a single temperature, but experiences a range of temperatures throughout the vessel. Temperatures throughout GP905 normally ranged from 60 to 230 °C (140 to 446 °F). Investigators estimated that, due to the failure of the lean oil pump, parts of GP905 experienced temperatures as low as −48 °C (−54 °F). Ice had formed on the unit, and it was decided to resume pumping heated lean oil in to thaw it. When the lean oil pump resumed operation, it pumped oil into the heat exchanger at 230 °C (446 °F)—the temperature differential caused a brittle fracture in the exchanger (GP905) at 12.26pm.

About 10 metric tonnes of hydrocarbon vapour were immediately vented from the rupture. A vapour cloud formed and drifted downwind. When it reached a set of heaters 170 m (560 ft) away, it ignited. This caused a deflagration (a burning vapour cloud). The flame front burnt its way through the vapour cloud, without causing an explosion. When the flame front reached the rupture in the heat exchanger, a fierce jet fire developed that lasted for two days.

The rupture of GP905 led to other releases and minor fires. The main fire was an intense jet fire emanating from GP905. There was no blast wave—the nearby control room was undamaged. Damage was localised to the immediate area around and above the GP905 exchanger.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 25-09-2023, 04:08 PM   #89
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There was a bit more to it than just lack of maintenance on stop-valves.

Taken from wikipedia:
Wiki maybe right or the story is made up one who knows.But Esso big bosses didn’t like production being slowed,so the mainenance people were told to not take the recommendation to check and maybe replace valves at 10 year periods seriously and the underlings being too gutlee to stand up,and tell them it had to be done,for fear of losing their jobs,found it easier to put lives at rusk,now we all know what happened
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2023, 04:55 PM   #90
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Wiki maybe right or the story is made up one who knows.But Esso big bosses didn’t like production being slowed,so the mainenance people were told to not take the recommendation to check and maybe replace valves at 10 year periods seriously and the underlings being too gutlee to stand up,and tell them it had to be done,for fear of losing their jobs,found it easier to put lives at rusk,now we all know what happened
There's many other sources that reference the cause of the incident, and none of them, that I can find, reference poor maintenance as a contributing factor. What you say may very well be right, but it was not considered a contributor by the Royal Commission that investigated the incident.

https://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/pa...998-99No61.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~