Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-01-2022, 06:55 PM   #1081
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr4ce View Post
Thoughts - I purchased one of the DA polishers from Repco a couple of weeks ago (haven’t used it yet) but the reviews seem ok. Compatible with Meguiars pads etc 950watt 6speeds (2-4.8k). Yes it’s a budget device - curious to know how it would compare to the shine mate ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That machine is pretty powerful for the money, add some pads to the mix (a few of each, Red is heavy cutting, Yellow light cutting/polishing) and you will be good to go. You would be running that on speed 4 - 5 depending of defect removal need.

If you are nervous, practice on a bonnet from the junk yard. Otherwise, start by working small areas, take your time and move with smooth and consistent speed. Remember to blow or brush out the pad between passes/sections. I would also recommend watching a few Youtube videos to see how it's done.

This is what I used for 10 odd years as my first polisher. These were sold by Waxit as an entry into DA polishing. Mine was supplied with dusty Menzerna polishes.

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2022, 07:02 PM   #1082
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

I was thinking my mother has a mid-90’s holden commodore that desperately needs some attention. I’ll probably tackle that first before touching the Mustang. I’ve watched a couple of videos on the use of the DA polishers - Meguiars put out a pretty good one using their pads and polishers that looked straight forward to use. I also have a buffer/polisher as well (120w) - thinking I would use that to bring out the shine

pwr4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2022, 08:53 PM   #1083
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The DA Polisher is still my final frontier. I still have not purchased one yet.
My XR6T is sun trashed having spent most of its life outside, but is now kept under a car port. CarPro products have the paint on life support preserving what is left and stopping it getting worse.
I am a little scared to attempt to do anything on it as to me, the clear coat is as close to failing and peeling as you can get. Bonnet & Roof are matt in finish and Boot not far behind. Tops of Doors are badly oxidised also.
I am not sure of the consequences of attempting something like that or even if it can be saved without a respray.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2022, 05:33 PM   #1084
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

The first time I ever used a da polisher was on my 2 day old Mustang prior to ceramic coating it. I was pretty nervous about it(understatement) but they are actually quite forgiving.
I just started with a soft pad and finishing polish and quickly worked out I needed to go a bit heavier.
I just watched a bunch of YouTube videos before hand and eased my way into it.
It takes a while to work out it’s not a 5 minute job and it will take several passes to correct major defects, even on brand new cars.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2022, 06:42 PM   #1085
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
The first time I ever used a da polisher was on my 2 day old Mustang prior to ceramic coating it. I was pretty nervous about it(understatement) but they are actually quite forgiving.
I just started with a soft pad and finishing polish and quickly worked out I needed to go a bit heavier.
I just watched a bunch of YouTube videos before hand and eased my way into it.
It takes a while to work out it’s not a 5 minute job and it will take several passes to correct major defects, even on brand new cars.
That's something a lot people don't understand, even NEW cars need or can benefit from correction or polishing.

On a forum elsewhere, I had to show some restraint when trying to explain, several times by me and many others, that his brand new Mustang would unlikely turn up from the factory perfect and scratch free. Even low volume manufacturers will struggle to achieve perfection. No car manufacturer, be it Ford, BMW, Porsche or even Bentley is going to spend 15, 20, 30 hours paint correcting every single car they make. I have seen many videos of Porsche's, Audi's, BMW's and Bentley's taken from brand new to a detailer and the defects when inspected are disappointing but reality.

Now, I'm someone who will notice this sort of thing and have it bother me. Others wont notice and will be more than pleased with their new car.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2022, 06:48 PM   #1086
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Default Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Well I’ve bit the bullet and a Shine Mate Ex15 kit is on its way. Been all over the Waxit Site and DBF FGXR6 I now understand.
First job is to tackle a 1996 VS Commodore then I will task my 2018 Mustang. I’ll keep the Repco DA for now - might be good to run some comparisons

This user likes this post:
Old 21-01-2022, 06:54 PM   #1087
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

My Waxit order arrived today! Less than two day turn around is impressive.

A mixture of new and old. Reset and Bug Out are refills and the IronX a loyalty freebie. Descale, InnerQD and the Glass Mitt are new items.

The Descale will be an interesting one, certainly not going to be used on my cars as it will strip waxes and sealants, but I do have a car on the docket soon that would be an ideal candidate for it.

The Glass Mitt is a double sided item, one side is waffle weave and one is a denser microfiber. It could be a time saver not having to carry two separate towels at once.
Mustang GT

Old 21-01-2022, 07:03 PM   #1088
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Well I’ve bit the bullet and a Shine Mate Ex15 kit is on its way. Been all over the Waxit Site and DBF FGXR6 I now understand.
First job is to tackle a 1996 VS Commodore then I will task my 2018 Mustang. I’ll keep the Repco DA for now - might be good to run some comparisons

I laughed out loud reading this!!!

Thanks for letting me help you spend your money!!

Well done by the way!

Can you link me to the kit you ordered?
Mustang GT

Old 21-01-2022, 07:06 PM   #1089
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Haha - thought you might laugh and yes thanks for helping spend my money

This is what I bought

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/sh...QaAk_sEALw_wcB

Old 21-01-2022, 07:24 PM   #1090
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
That's something a lot people don't understand, even NEW cars need or can benefit from correction or polishing.

On a forum elsewhere, I had to show some restraint when trying to explain, several times by me and many others, that his brand new Mustang would unlikely turn up from the factory perfect and scratch free. Even low volume manufacturers will struggle to achieve perfection. No car manufacturer, be it Ford, BMW, Porsche or even Bentley is going to spend 15, 20, 30 hours paint correcting every single car they make. I have seen many videos of Porsche's, Audi's, BMW's and Bentley's taken from brand new to a detailer and the defects when inspected are disappointing but reality.

Now, I'm someone who will notice this sort of thing and have it bother me. Others wont notice and will be more than pleased with their new car.

We are not most people.
Most people wash their car twice a year with some dirty old sponge and air dry it.
It hurts me deep inside seeing relatively new cars with heavy swirl marks. I just want to yell at them “what are you doing” but I just bite my tongue and tell them how great their car looks.
With a new Mustang just days away I get to start the process all over again.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2022, 07:33 PM   #1091
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Haha - thought you might laugh and yes thanks for helping spend my money

This is what I bought

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/sh...QaAk_sEALw_wcB

Excellent!

The S20 Black is a great one to start with as it's considered a one-step product, as in it cuts and then finishes in one step rather than using a heavy compound followed by a finer compound to finish.

If you have compressed air, get a bucket and mist the inside with water, blow the pad out into the bucket. The water will help trap the dust inside the bucket and limit spreading it around your garage. I do this at a decent distance to the car to limit showing the car in polish dust.

You would ideally also have a pad brush to go over the pad as well. I like the Rupes one because it can also be used to prime or "butter" a pad. It can also be used to help remove pads from the backing plate.

https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...-claw-pad-tool

https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...itioning-brush

You would blow out the pad after each set of passes.
Mustang GT

Old 21-01-2022, 07:37 PM   #1092
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Default Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Excellent!

The S20 Black is a great one to start with as it's considered a one-step product, as in it cuts and then finishes in one step rather than using a heavy compound followed by a finer compound to finish.

If you have compressed air, get a bucket and mist the inside with water, blow the pad out into the bucket. The water will help trap the dust inside the bucket and limit spreading it around your garage. I do this at a decent distance to the car to limit showing the car in polish dust.

You would ideally also have a pad brush to go over the pad as well. I like the Rupes one because it can also be used to prime or "butter" a pad. It can also be used to help remove pads from the backing plate.

https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...-claw-pad-tool

https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...itioning-brush

You would blow out the pad after each set of passes.

Thanks for the tips. I’m sure working on 26 year old paint (without any previous care) will be a challenge in itself but looking forward to seeing how this device works and the end result !

Old 21-01-2022, 08:29 PM   #1093
jgmdat

Quote:
We are not most people.
Most people wash their car twice a year with some dirty old sponge and air dry it.
It hurts me deep inside seeing relatively new cars with heavy swirl marks. I just want to yell at them “what are you doing” but I just bite my tongue and tell them how great their car looks.
With a new Mustang just days away I get to start the process all over again.
The amount of BMW, Mercs Porches etc wheels with caked on brake dust and paint that hasn't been washed for months is quite incredible.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2022, 01:08 AM   #1094
ford12

Quote:
That machine is pretty powerful for the money, add some pads to the mix (a few of each, Red is heavy cutting, Yellow light cutting/polishing) and you will be good to go. You would be running that on speed 4 - 5 depending of defect removal need.

If you are nervous, practice on a bonnet from the junk yard. Otherwise, start by working small areas, take your time and move with smooth and consistent speed. Remember to blow or brush out the pad between passes/sections. I would also recommend watching a few Youtube videos to see how it's done.

This is what I used for 10 odd years as my first polisher. These were sold by Waxit as an entry into DA polishing. Mine was supplied with dusty Menzerna polishes.

I have the exact same machine and polishes, you don't like them ?
ford12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2022, 01:20 AM   #1095
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whatever is on special at Supercheap Auto.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2022, 06:37 PM   #1096
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford12 View Post
I have the exact same machine and polishes, you don't like them ?
The Concours is a great machine, powerful and easy to use. I never intended on replacing it, rather supplementing it with a smaller 3 inch machine. That's when I got carried away and ordered a 3 and 5 inch machine. But but but it was on sale, how could I not!

The Menzerna polishes give great results, I just found them excessively dusty.
Mustang GT

Old 22-01-2022, 07:28 PM   #1097
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

I bought one of these about 12 months ago.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/car-care...-15/p/A5466200

I haven't used it on a whole car as yet but when I have used it, it has seemed OK, then again, I was comparing it to a rockwell.

I need to get onto the waxit website and order some pads etc.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2022, 07:39 PM   #1098
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I bought one of these about 12 months ago.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/car-care...-15/p/A5466200

I haven't used it on a whole car as yet but when I have used it, it has seemed OK, then again, I was comparing it to a rockwell.

I need to get onto the waxit website and order some pads etc.
I really like these Shine Mate Diamond pads. I'm guessing you need 6" pads on that machine.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...ate-pad-refill

Mustang GT

Old 22-01-2022, 09:01 PM   #1099
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is the best value pads for the money for a beginner / weekend warrior?
Old 22-01-2022, 09:15 PM   #1100
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
What is the best value pads for the money for a beginner / weekend warrior?
I know I probably sound like a broken record, but the Shine Mate pads are a good option for that.

Buying them in a kit or stack is a good way to buy them as they contain 3 different pad types so you can learn and experiment with what you like. They can then be bought individually.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections/kits-pad-stacks

I like the Flat or Diamond Shine Mate pads as they are not as thick as say the Lake Country CCS, allowing for easier control over the machine while you learn.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...ate-pad-refill
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...ate-pad-stacks

You could also look at Apex Customs version -

https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...am-pads-6-or-7

Other detailing supply companies tend to not have pads in kit form so you will be otherwise buying pads individually. That's fine if you know what you like or need, the kit just makes it easier for a beginner.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2022, 08:54 PM   #1101
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One other question please.
Is the paint on the BA+ Series Falcon Considered Soft or Hard by the pad rating systems?
Same question for the Mustangs paint.
I am just trying to gain an understanding before I buy anything.
Old 23-01-2022, 09:04 PM   #1102
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australian and American cars are considered medium to hard paint.
I certainly didn’t find my Mustang to have soft paint and needed pretty aggressive pads and polishing compounds to remove defects. Using soft pads and finishing compounds had little effect.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2022, 09:14 PM   #1103
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Australian and American cars are considered medium to hard paint.
I certainly didn’t find my Mustang to have soft paint and needed pretty aggressive pads and polishing compounds to remove defects. Using soft pads and finishing compounds had little effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp
One other question please.
Is the paint on the BA+ Series Falcon Considered Soft or Hard by the pad rating systems?
Same question for the Mustangs paint.
I am just trying to gain an understanding before I buy anything.
From memory, yes medium to hard paint of Falcon's.
Mustang GT

Old 24-01-2022, 05:19 PM   #1104
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

My Detailing Shed ordered arrived today!

The main reason for the order was for the foam cannon holder, but as usual I went nuts in the effort to get free shipping.
Mustang GT

Old 24-01-2022, 07:14 PM   #1105
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

This thread is an absolute gold mine! I'm considering starting up a mobile car detailing service and thanks to you guys I know what to put on my shopping list.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2022, 09:00 PM   #1106
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you can organise it, it would be good to see a photo of what the inspection light can pick up.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2022, 09:05 PM   #1107
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

My Shine Mate DA polisher arrived today with pads and polisher - nice bit of kit !!
Ordered some paint from dr color chip to fix a few stone chips in the paint of my project car. When that all arrives I’ll use this polisher on 26 years of paint that’s never seen anything but the occasional wash

3 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2022, 08:19 PM   #1108
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

An attempt at bead porn of the roof of our 17-year-old daily....

With thanks to everyone here for their tips and hints. This is what happens when the wife was out shopping and it rained ...!!!

BA RTV.
anobserver is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2022, 10:52 AM   #1109
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Bought a six pack from supercheap....

Soft, absorbent and better than expected!

BA RTV.
anobserver is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2022, 05:13 PM   #1110
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
Bought a six pack from supercheap....

Soft, absorbent and better than expected!
If you haven't already, make sure you wash those prior to use. Same for any new microfiber really, but especially important for unsealed packaging.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post: