Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-01-2022, 01:18 PM   #1
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default VIC rego lapsing

So have been on hold to VIC roads twice now for two hours and no answer, so i'll ask on here.

When a VIC car runs out of rego you have 3 months to pay the rego before it is cancelled. My question for those that know. If I pay the rego say 10 weeks after it was due, will the date I pay the rego become the new renewal date?

Long story short, I won't be driving one of my cars for a few months and the rego is about to end, I don't see the point paying for rego if it will renew from the date i pay it, providing it's within the 3 months.

Cheers
Old 20-01-2022, 01:26 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: VIC regi lapsing

Just pay the rego anyway, it's not worth the hassle you will have trying to fix it if they decide to **** you.

I'm not 100% sure but I reckon because the rego hasn't been cancelled, the old renewal date will be what carries over, not the new date.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2022, 01:28 PM   #3
.:4:.
Kicking back

In nsw, if you run out of rego, let it sit for upto 3 months get your rego check and pay within that 3 months to cancellation, the date on your rego papers stays the same. So you pay the 12 months but get less. So i do not know if vic is the same. But surely there should be something on the vicroads website to confirm how they do it.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2022, 01:33 PM   #4
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I just wish VIC was like SA and ACT, would make owning weekend cars much more affordable. Just do 3 months rego on each car over the year.
Old 20-01-2022, 01:33 PM   #5
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The renewal date stays the same. I have done this a few times, leaving my payment until just before the 3 months are up. If you do not pay before the 3 months are up, the reg will be cancelled and you will need a RWC, fees for new number plates, etc etc etc if you want to re-register it. Obviously, you cannot legally drive the vehicle during the 3 months if the reg has not been paid. (I know someone who did drive his car unregistered, got a large fine, but somehow got out of it. I wouldn't count on that.)
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2022, 01:37 PM   #6
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: VIC rego lapsing

Victoria does at least now have the option of quarterly or semi-annual rego payments if that helps.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2022, 01:41 PM   #7
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
The renewal date stays the same. I have done this a few times, leaving my payment until just before the 3 months are up. If you do not pay before the 3 months are up, the reg will be cancelled and you will need a RWC, fees for new number plates, etc etc etc if you want to re-register it. Obviously, you cannot legally drive the vehicle during the 3 months if the reg has not been paid. (I know someone who did drive his car unregistered, got a large fine, but somehow got out of it. I wouldn't count on that.)
The only time (in nsw atleast) you can legally drive an unreg car it to get it rego inspected, but it has to be to the closest inspection place to your registered residence as no insurance will cover an unregistered car driving on pubic roads. Last year i shot myself in the foot almost. The car ran out on a monday, plan was get it inspected on said monday, but it was a public holiday, so i got it done 1 day out. But it already had a pending green slip and pending full comp (both invalid unreg). Got my pink slip, payed rego in the car park on my phone and that went through on the spot and i happy day's it.
Old 20-01-2022, 01:42 PM   #8
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Victoria does at least now have the option of quarterly or semi-annual rego payments if that helps.
Thanks mate, it's not that I can't afford it, it's just that I know it won't be used for a few more months so was hoping I could save myself a few hundred and have a new renewal date from when I paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm
Cheers mate, that's a shame, guess i'll just pay it. I'd never drive an unregistered vehicle, not worth the pain. Not about the fines for me, it's about others on the road and being insured if something was to happen.
Old 20-01-2022, 01:53 PM   #9
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Thanks mate, it's not that I can't afford it, it's just that I know it won't be used for a few more months so was hoping I could save myself a few hundred and have a new renewal date from when I paid.

Cheers mate, that's a shame, guess i'll just pay it. I'd never drive an unregistered vehicle, not worth the pain. Not about the fines for me, it's about others on the road and being insured if something was to happen.
In nsw, dunno if vic is the same, we have annual rego inspections for cars over 5 years old. If you pass an inspection, you have 3 months to renew the rego, wait that time out and pass another inspection, 3 months more etc etc. Its just insurance that is invalid is the risky part. Again, dunno how vic works, but in nsw, a rego inspection for a car is pretty basic, lights work, brakes work and tyres are good, no leaks, its apples. If its proper unreg then they go through the car and will get deny on every minor thing thats not 100% up to scratch.
Old 20-01-2022, 02:05 PM   #10
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it is more than 25 years old, could qualitfy for club permit... That would make some AUs qualify now?

Quote:
A Club Permit can be issued to the vehicles in the following categories:

veteran vehicles – manufactured before 1 January 1919
vintage vehicles – manufactured after 31 December 1918 and before 1 January 1931
classic and historic vehicles - manufactured after 31 December 1930, but more than 25 years before the date of the application for a Club Permit.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2022, 02:09 PM   #11
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Well, again i dunno if vic is the same as nsw. But years ago i did a 6 month rego to get my yearly comprehensive 6 months away from car rego so it wasnt a massive hit to the wallet in 1 go. That did change the rego renewal date.
Old 20-01-2022, 02:21 PM   #12
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Pay by the original due date, problem gone
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2022, 02:30 PM   #13
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So have been on hold to VIC roads twice now for two hours and no answer, so i'll ask on here.

When a VIC car runs out of rego you have 3 months to pay the rego before it is cancelled. My question for those that know. If I pay the rego say 10 weeks after it was due, will the date I pay the rego become the new renewal date?

Long story short, I won't be driving one of my cars for a few months and the rego is about to end, I don't see the point paying for rego if it will renew from the date i pay it, providing it's within the 3 months.

Cheers
Pretty sure you will find that the original expiry date will apply,otherwise people would leave off paying for a couple of weeks each year to accumulate extra rego
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-01-2022, 02:58 PM   #14
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Well, again i dunno if vic is the same as nsw. But years ago i did a 6 month rego to get my yearly comprehensive 6 months away from car rego so it wasnt a massive hit to the wallet in 1 go. That did change the rego renewal date.
NSW and Victoria are nothing like each other in the way they work.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2022, 04:46 PM   #15
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
otherwise people would leave off paying for a couple of weeks each year to accumulate extra rego
I'm not sure how it would be considered accumulating extra rego?

If you can't drive the car during the period you haven't paid then there is no loss on their part. If when you pay the rego the new expiry date is moved accordingly then the car is eligible to be on the road for that period. But if the expiry date does not change you are paying for a service you technically never got.

Although weirdly, when i looked this up before as I always thought it was 28 or 30 days past is when cancellation occurs, your car is still covered by TAC for 28 days past the expiry date. So you can drive the car illegally, but if you smash into someone you're still covered for injury.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2022, 05:21 PM   #16
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Original date carrys over.

I know this from personal experience, I forgot to pay my rego while on holiday just before Covid and the same date applied. I effectively got 10 months rego.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2022, 06:38 PM   #17
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
I'm not sure how it would be considered accumulating extra rego?

If you can't drive the car during the period you haven't paid then there is no loss on their part. If when you pay the rego the new expiry date is moved accordingly then the car is eligible to be on the road for that period. But if the expiry date does not change you are paying for a service you technically never got.

Although weirdly, when i looked this up before as I always thought it was 28 or 30 days past is when cancellation occurs, your car is still covered by TAC for 28 days past the expiry date. So you can drive the car illegally, but if you smash into someone you're still covered for injury.
Yeah I understand if the car isn’tbeing used there is no gain,but I am sure there are people out there who would reckon if they hang off for a couple of weeks to get a new expiry date,they would take the risk driving whilst actually unreg.In fact I know a bloke years ago who drove unreg for over two years.When he got pulled up and booked,the fine then was about 1 yrs rego,so he reckoned he was still in front because he got 2 years of driving around for 1 years rego cost.Think the rule got changed a bit after that and the fine was more like 2+ years rego equivelent
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2022, 06:46 PM   #18
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
The only time (in nsw atleast) you can legally drive an unreg car it to get it rego inspected, but it has to be to the closest inspection place to your registered residence as no insurance will cover an unregistered car driving on pubic roads.
Not in Victoria, you will need to purchase a permit for it to be driven while unregistered

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2022, 06:53 PM   #19
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
Not in Victoria, you will need to purchase a permit for it to be driven while unregistered
Not sure if you've seen or it's been resolved, but someone in the Covid thread was asking if you were open. Said they were trying to contact you about a dyno session or something but wasn't getting a response.

Was sometime today I'm sure.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2022, 08:02 PM   #20
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Just adding here. When I had my cars registered, in ACT when it lapses you had 12 months to renew. So I’d just do 3 months at a time on the weekenders. So It only cost me a years total rego to enjoy 4 cars for 3 months each. With Victoria to do that it cost me 4 12 month regos.

SA is similar but they don’t even have an expiry for rego cancellation. You can register your car after being lapsed for 10 years if you want.

I’m saying this as a few of the replies don’t seem to understand where I was coming from.
Old 20-01-2022, 08:11 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Just adding here. When I had my cars registered, in ACT when it lapses you had 12 months to renew. So I’d just do 3 months at a time on the weekenders. So It only cost me a years total rego to enjoy 4 cars for 3 months each. With Victoria to do that it cost me 4 12 month regos.

SA is similar but they don’t even have an expiry for rego cancellation. You can register your car after being lapsed for 10 years if you want.

I’m saying this as a few of the replies don’t seem to understand where I was coming from.
SA rego is nuts, go online, chuck rego on the car thats been sitting in the backyard for years, no RWC or anything
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2022, 08:35 PM   #22
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
SA rego is nuts, go online, chuck rego on the car thats been sitting in the backyard for years, no RWC or anything
Yep, so good
Old 21-01-2022, 06:56 AM   #23
Trevor 57
is now there

All I know is, that is if you drive the car 1 day after the rego expires you are in the ****, coz the car is unregistered