Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-01-2022, 11:20 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default A big shout out to BestDrive Naislworth

Good evening

It's not often I come across customer service worthy of praise but this last weekend, I did come across a company and a team that showed that real customer service isn't dead.

The story started with a catastrophic RH rear tyre failure on the Hundewagen, just the SA side of Horsham.

As the van is only equipped with an 80 km/h speed limited spare (205/60R16 compared to the fitted tyres 225/55R17) and the speed limiting being because it isn't 101Y load rated, it was going to be a slow 484 km to Adelaide.

After calling every country tyre dealer in between and finding no one with that size in stock, I went looking for a dealer close to the destination and as they are Continental PremiumContact tyres, I ended up calling BestDrive in Nailsworth who are a Continental dealer.

After several, what must have been annoying phone calls, they had the correct size in a 101W MaxContact and so the van went there first thing Monday morning to have that one replaced.

While the vehicle was there they spotted that both front tyres, despite only being 14k km old, looked like this ...

.. which basically meant they were dangerous and I hadn't spotted the wear in my usual check of pressures and tyre condition becasue you couldn't see the wear as it was right on the inner edge of both.

We ended up fitting 4 new ones and I'll take up the abnormal wear with the people who did the last wheel alignment when they were fitted - ironically, those tyres had already been replaced under warranty after the previous wheel alignment saw them worn the same way after 15k km.

The wheel alignment has never been great since the day it was new. It has always pulled to the left a fair bit but M-B put it down to our different camber here compared to EU roads.

The alignment guy at BestDrive (Peter) has nailed it first time. It now tracks straight and true and looking at the alignment report it was actually the rear toe (LH -3.2mm / RH +1.7mm) that was causing the issue because it created a thrust angle of 0o.12' where it is now almost where it should be at 0o/02'.

For those who don't know, thrust angle is an imaginary line that is drawn perpendicular from the centre-line of the rear axle, down the centre-line of the vehicle. The purpose of the thrust angle is to determine if the rear axle is lined up with the centre of the vehicle, as well as the front axle. The thrust angle also determines if the wheel base on both sides of the vehicle is the same and is particularly critical on vehicles with 4-wheel independent suspension. Ideally it should be zero.

So to Andrew and the rest of the team there who all pitched in to help, a big thanks from both of us and if you're in Adelaide, it's worth driving there for good service and good advice.

As well as Continental, they also deal in Kumho, BFG and Mickey Thomson tyres and probably others as well.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2022, 09:15 AM   #2
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: A big shout out to BestDrive Naislworth

gawd another Victorian coming to invade us....

damn glad that was spotted though.
Had to google Hundewagen so its not a caravan as I first surmised ...
Old 19-01-2022, 09:32 AM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I would have been more concerned about Contis doing that even out of alignment.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2022, 09:56 AM   #4
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Yes, I will be having a conversation with Continental about it as it looks like a delamination in the sidewall.

I always check and set pressures the evening before a road-trip and they were spot on at the recommended 40PSI cold and that damage doesn't look to be heat related anyway.

In fairness, those rear tyres had already done 36,755 km on the front before being moved to the rear where they have done 15,200 before that failure so after almost 52k km, there was still plenty of life left in them. Indeed, the one off the RHR is going to be fitted to a full size alloy rim (I bought a set of 4 2H ones) so that it can have a full sized spare in future.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: