Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-01-2022, 05:57 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Spiders in cars

re an article ob ABC web news...of spiders causing accidents.

few years ago driving down busy road 8AM with traffic lights and right hand turn lane ahead, the right hand lane was turning orange as I approached so knew my lane would be turning green.
Slowing down nicely I decided to lower the sun visor just about to stop and this ruddy great huntsman looking me square in the face.
Instant reaction was to swipe him aside, drivers window was open and out he went.
we then started moving and I presume Mr spider landed in /on car beside me because as I disappeared ahead there was a blood curdling female scream from what would have been the car beside me.

One of those never time to film it moments.
Old 10-01-2022, 06:22 PM   #2
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Default Re: Spiders in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
re an article ob ABC web news...of spiders causing accidents.

few years ago driving down busy road 8AM with traffic lights and right hand turn lane ahead, the right hand lane was turning orange as I approached so knew my lane would be turning green.
Slowing down nicely I decided to lower the sun visor just about to stop and this ruddy great huntsman looking me square in the face.
Instant reaction was to swipe him aside, drivers window was open and out he went.
we then started moving and I presume Mr spider landed in /on car beside me because as I disappeared ahead there was a blood curdling female scream from what would have been the car beside me.

One of those never time to film it moments.

had similar last year......... my car, missus in front passenger seat. she starts screaming at the top of her lungs [canna remember if it was me driving too fast for her or not ] and i'm like yeah ... yeah calm down.... then i turn to look at her coz she's tryin ta sit in me seat and then i spy this little huntsman on the 'A' pillar . i said calm down it won't hurt you. didn't go down well

scared the bejesus out of the younger nephew once coz i had a huntsman walking on the arm a few years ago - prefer the spider to the snake tho......
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2022, 12:22 PM   #3
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Huntsman on the drivers side window....wow, thats a big one....HOLY CRAP, thats on the INSIDE!

Taking the sweeping right hander while using my leg to hold drivers door open - not sure how - spider disappeared but no clue where. Nearly 30 years ago, never forgot the moment.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2022, 12:28 PM   #4
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tonz - I had to have a quiet chuckle to myself about that one. Imagine if her window was down and it landed on her ....................
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2022, 02:08 PM   #5
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from the noise I suspect thats what happened, and the rear view camera wasnt working either.
Old 11-01-2022, 02:35 PM   #6
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Had a few crawl across the dash over the years driving my trucks.
Due to the large river red trees at home I often used to get Huntsman wanting to creep in around the door seals or vents.
Just before summer every year I spray each door jamb and vent opening with a commercial insect surface spray.

Funny thing is, since planting heaps of Grevillea's around the property, it has attracted lots of blue faced honeyeaters which love to devour the Huntsman hiding under the bark of the gums every late Spring.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2022, 08:12 PM   #7
mondeomatureguy

Hi Guys,
I hate spider's not a shamed to say that. At the time i was living in Campbelltown in Western Suburbs of Sydney.
I had an EA Fairmont at the time and was driving into Sydney to do a few things.

I got into M5 Tunnel and for some reason i pulled down the sun visor only to find a Huntsman Spider resting there and i s..t my self.
I got the newspaper that was on the passenger's seat and rolled it up and the Spider crawled onto the paper.

I rolled down the driver's window all the time still driving thru the tunnel and hit the siders door with the paper from the outside till the Spider fell off the paper.
I rolled the window up and as you come out off the tunnel and go under the Airport runway just around the corner is a Shell Garage and a McDonalds.

I pulled in there got out of the car and checked the car. Opened the boot, all the door's and the bonnet and made sure i couldn't find any more spider's.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:10 PM   #8
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why is it always huntsmans that magically appear in the car and not others.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2022, 09:30 PM   #9
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the other are small little bug gers and you dont see them, check around your mirrors and hinges....
Old 13-01-2022, 08:31 AM   #10
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS69 View Post

coz they are the ones big enough to notice?

had to spray around the side mirror glasses coz of them blooody small spiders .......... which reminds me .... i better do the same to the missus's car........... so many friggen webs
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-01-2022, 08:36 AM   #11
Trevor 57
is now there

Only way to fix spiders in cars

Old 13-01-2022, 08:48 AM   #12
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
Only way to fix spiders in cars

Definately do that if it was a Sydney female funnel web. We can be lucky we don't have those down here Trevor.

Old 13-01-2022, 01:07 PM   #13
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Definately do that if it was a Sydney female funnel web. We can be lucky we don't have those down here Trevor.
A huntsman would prompt me to do it

I got 'traumatised' twice as a kid by interactions with huntsmen spiders
Old 13-01-2022, 01:13 PM   #14
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
A huntsman would prompt me to do it

I got 'traumatised' twice as a kid by interactions with huntsmen spiders
Can understand, I got a thing about funnel webs.

Old 13-01-2022, 01:40 PM   #15
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Think I've shared this before, but just in case I haven't; friend of mine does research in to the medical use of native Australian animal venom. In his lab, he has a female Sydney funnel web, as well as a number of of native tarantulas. He showed us how he milks the funnel web for venom, by agitating her until she has venom visibly hanging from her fangs, then uses a sucking tool to suck up the venom and place it into a specimen container.

She is kept in a small plastic takeaway style container, with a bit of dirt and wood for her to feel 'comfortable' in. The dish is kept in a fridge under his work desk in the lab.

I asked him how he learnt to collect the venom sample. He said he watched a couple of youtube videos and the rest of it was trial and error

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2022, 02:55 PM   #16
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hopefully not a lot of error in that trial and error part.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2022, 03:12 PM   #17
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Think I've shared this before, but just in case I haven't; friend of mine does research in to the medical use of native Australian animal venom. In his lab, he has a female Sydney funnel web, as well as a number of of native tarantulas. He showed us how he milks the funnel web for venom, by agitating her until she has venom visibly hanging from her fangs, then uses a sucking tool to suck up the venom and place it into a specimen container.

She is kept in a small plastic takeaway style container, with a bit of dirt and wood for her to feel 'comfortable' in. The dish is kept in a fridge under his work desk in the lab.

I asked him how he learnt to collect the venom sample. He said he watched a couple of youtube videos and the rest of it was trial and error
Plenty of places along the harbour in Seaforth (Sydney) he could dig around
to find fine examples. Gives me the creeps.

This user likes this post:
Old 13-01-2022, 06:28 PM   #18
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS69 View Post
had a leaky rear passenger door seal on my old territory, after a driving holiday, carpet was a little moist so whilst down there decided to see how much crap was under the seat where my son sits. Nice big red back under there.

Found big redbacks under my wash bucket in the cupboard in garage. Assuming they like moisture..