Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > Project Builds (non Car)

Project Builds (non Car) Here is an area where you can show / discuss other non car builds be they bikes, caravans, boats, BBQ's or whatever.

Old 12-12-2021, 05:10 PM   #451
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: DFB's Greenthumb Project

It's that time of the year when Hydrangea's are in flower, although where I live it can be a fleeting moment.

If the early summer is mild, these plants will delight with their display for an extended period. If the weather is hot and windy and the plants not adequately shaded, these flowers can be a brief appearance. Water, water, water is the key for Hydrangea's, especially in when in flower and especially when planted in pots.

In the nursery, we generally only get Hydrangea's in stock when in flower. As such, they make an attractive gift or as a way to provide a nice greeting at a doorway at Christmas. In years past, when the summer arrived early and HARD, I remember a few 40+ degree days where we were watering our Hydrangea stock ever couple of hours to maintain their flowers. Big leaves, big flowers and small pots combined with heat and wind means big water consumption from these plants.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2021, 05:29 PM   #452
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

One here is doing really nicely, too:
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2022, 08:51 PM   #453
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Duranta repens or 'Geisha Girl' flowering in my neighbors garden.

While looking rather delicate, these fast growing shrubs are quite drought tolerant. They do however resent frost and cold conditions in general, bouncing back with vigor in spring and summer. This plant can be bought as either a standard or shrub form.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2022, 04:49 PM   #454
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hydrangeas: my father reckoned that if you put nails in a pot of hydrangeas you would get a certain colour flower; not sure if it was pink or blue.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2022, 06:07 PM   #455
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
Hydrangeas: my father reckoned that if you put nails in a pot of hydrangeas you would get a certain colour flower; not sure if it was pink or blue.
The iron is what changes the colour to blue. It acidifies the soil as it breaks down.
Mustang GT

This user likes this post:
Old 30-01-2022, 06:19 PM   #456
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Starting again with this extremely old Bougainvillea.

This plant sits under a tree right on the fence and front gate of a property I maintain. Bougainvillea are a hard thing to get right in northern Victoria. Too cold for them in the winter means they need the right spot to withstand frost. But they also love to be in a warm, sunny position.

This specimen sits under a tree to protect it over winter, meaning it has very rarely flowered due to a lack of sunlight over summer. Also preventing it from flowering is the regular trimming I give it to keep the plant from getting out of hand.

Late last year was a rare occasion where it actually flowered. It then put on a big flush of growth and subsequently fell forward from the fence. At this point I will say Bougainvillea are horrible plants to play around with. If the spines from the fresh growth don't get you, then the harder dead wood spines will!

The only way I wanted to get this deal with this was to cut it all off, using the weight of the material to allow it fall further off the fence and then dragging the whole lot into the back of my Ranger. I used my Stihl battery powered chainsaw to do the deed.

I have to play middle man with this plant, the husband hates it and wanted me to follow up with a health dose of Roundup, the wife quite likes the coverage it offers. Me? Well I think I'm in the Roundup camp! The shear power behind this plant means it will bounce back harder than ever.

We actually had 40 Bougainvillea arrive in stock last week at work. I put them out on the shelf with gritted teeth!
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2022, 06:20 PM   #457
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

As a gardener, the single most used tool I use is a pair of secateurs. Made in Switzerland and coming with a lifetime guarantee, Felco are generally considered the industry standard. I know of people who are still using a pair after 30+ years! While Felco make a variety of secateurs and shears, the number 8 and 9 are the best of the bunch.

Felco 8 for right-handed -
https://felco.com/en_au/produits/pruning-shears/felco-8

Felco 9 for left-handed -
https://felco.com/en_au/produits/pruning-shears/felco-8

The 8 and 9 are best suited for extended use due to the more ergonomically designed handles. The angle of the handle allows for a more natural extension of your hand, reducing fatigue.

This pair of Felco 8 are about 12 years old and were given to me by my employer. At the time, I was delighted by this gesture as these are not a cheap item, retailing for about $110. Used extensively over the years, they had got to the point where they just weren't cutting well at all, even after disassembly and sharpened properly. The beauty of Felco though is the full parts backup, meaning an old pair can be made new again.

The cost of a new blade and hook is less than half the price of a new pair.

https://www.forestrytools.com.au/col...-7-8-blade-7-3
https://www.forestrytools.com.au/pro...o-7-8-hook-7-4

Each pair of secateurs comes with this adjustment key, although I used a small ratchet spanner.

Disassembly is easy, remove the hook screw at the top, remove the locking tab screw then remove the central nut.

Push the central bolt out, lift the hook away then wiggle the blade from the two locating pins. Then clean and grease the mating surfaces ready for re-assembly.

Now install the new hook, align and secure the bolt.

Put the new blade onto the locating pins, install the central bolt and tighten the nut to an appropriate torque. Too tight and they wont re-open, too loose and they will be sloppy and increase wear. Re-install the locking tab and screw.

I did not realise how worn the old blade was until offered up to the new one. Keep in mind, I sharpen secateurs quite often to maintain clean cutting. Twelve years on one blade is quite fair all things considered.

Ready for use again and cutting much, much better.

There is a certain satisfaction gained by giving something a new lease of life.
Mustang GT

6 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2022, 07:21 PM   #458
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yikes. Your embarrassing me, I buy a middle range pair hopefully last 2 years then ditch and buy new again.

and id estimate theres many other members reading this nodding their heads in agreement.
Old 06-02-2022, 08:01 PM   #459
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
yikes. Your embarrassing me, I buy a middle range pair hopefully last 2 years then ditch and buy new again.

and id estimate theres many other members reading this nodding their heads in agreement.
Nothing wrong with that at all.

However when you use something almost every single day, you need to spend the money on something that is a) going to last and b) be comfortable to use for hours on end.

In winter, I can be pruning roses for hours on end. Likewise in winter, I'm shaping branches and pruning root systems on bare rooted stock prior to sale or potting. Again, hours of cutting.

It would be the same concept for a carpenter, he wont have $4.99 hammer from the discount bin. He is going to have something that will last and not snap mid-way through a job, that is ergonomic and easy to use over and over all day long.

I know there seems to be a trend of buying cheap, using it till it breaks, chucking it away and buying another. However, I don't find that appealing for something I use so much. There is also an element of tradition, pride and enjoyment from using a well designed, quality tool.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2022, 11:48 AM   #460
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:

There are some tools of the trade I'm happy as doing as such - buy mid range bang for buck agreed Tonz.
In DFB's case being its his day to day different ball game.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2022, 05:25 PM   #461
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Nothing wrong with that at all.

However when you use something almost every single day, you need to spend the money on something that is a) going to last and b) be comfortable to use for hours on end.

In winter, I can be pruning roses for hours on end. Likewise in winter, I'm shaping branches and pruning root systems on bare rooted stock prior to sale or potting. Again, hours of cutting.

It would be the same concept for a carpenter, he wont have $4.99 hammer from the discount bin. He is going to have something that will last and not snap mid-way through a job, that is ergonomic and easy to use over and over all day long.

I know there seems to be a trend of buying cheap, using it till it breaks, chucking it away and buying another. However, I don't find that appealing for something I use so much. There is also an element of tradition, pride and enjoyment from using a well designed, quality tool.
Agreed, somethings just don't cut the mustard.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2022, 06:09 PM   #462
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Seven days later, the Bougainvillea has already started to sprout back. One of the owners still wants me to poor Round-Up on it.

Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2022, 06:23 PM   #463
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I get you with the bouganvillea in Victoria statement.
Grew one up against a white shed. Grew beautifully for a couple of years, obviously loving the radiant heat with lots of green folliage and flowers then while working away one summer the thing just died.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2022, 06:27 PM   #464
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I like seeing bouganvillia's in othe rpeoples garden !
Worse I have one and I hate the bas tards, I've cut it down as well and doused it with round up from sheer laziness for its 3times bigger than that DFB.
I'll get around to digging it out when I get the urge.
The round up has stopped it re shooting so win win so far
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2022, 08:23 PM   #465
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

With all this strange weather this summer and copious amounts of rain and humidity it sure did accelerate a job I didn’t need to do end of the winter for it wasn’t that bad but having slipped on the paths of late enough was enough time to get out one of my fav toys and get stuck in…….during the light rain might I add late this arvo.
The trusty weapon - I love this beast

One section done - thought I better stop at 6pm.

About half a day to go tomorrow !
Like detailing the joy of before and after is most satisfying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2022, 08:28 PM   #466
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

This Xanthorrhoea "Grass Tree" was obstructing the view of our entrance waterfall and needed to be trimmed to gain access to replace a worn out pump. It was also smothered in Mealy Bug and Scale. I suspect it was a case of once started, there was no turning back but the foliage was not looking great so probably for the best to start it again.

Xanthorrhoea are able withstand bush fires due to their growth points being underground, protected by tightly packed leaf bases. While a bush fire may burn the stumps and turn them black, hence the name "Black Boy", the fire will actually stimulate new growth and flowering. So with that in mind, we simulated a bush fire with the help of a gas torch.............

When Xanthorrhoea are harvested for sale, they are burnt like this to reset the plant and stimulate new growth. Never feed Grass Trees, they don't like t or need it.

That whole space was consumed by foliage, with the stumps being completely hidden. I actually like the look of this better and now also shows the waterfall again.
Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2022, 08:55 PM   #467
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fire ban season ??
Old 11-02-2022, 09:56 PM   #468
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
fire ban season ??
Far enough away from bush land, a hose in one hand and a body of water right next to it, there was little to no risk.
Mustang GT

Old 23-02-2022, 10:47 PM   #469
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Two years ago, I asked for a new hose at work. Better late than never I suppose................

This Ryset 19mm hose is an Australian made item that is a direct replacement for the ones we have been using for many years now. These hoses come unfitted, which I then cut to various lengths to suit the areas they are placed in the nursery. I then fit Gardena Profi Maxi-Flow connectors.

I don't like brass hose fittings, I just find them not to work as well as a quality plastic item. I have been a nurseryman and gardener for over 20 years now, Gardena hose fittings are second to none and are well worth the price.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2022, 10:14 AM   #470
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Two years ago, I asked for a new hose at work. Better late than never I suppose................

This Ryset 19mm hose is an Australian made item that is a direct replacement for the ones we have been using for many years now. These hoses come unfitted, which I then cut to various lengths to suit the areas they are placed in the nursery. I then fit Gardena Profi Maxi-Flow connectors.

I don't like brass hose fittings, I just find them not to work as well as a quality plastic item. I have been a nurseryman and gardener for over 20 years now, Gardena hose fittings are second to none and are well worth the price.
We've nearly always used Gardena stuff and recently replaced our daggy old back garden hose with this one.

Other than being the most expensive 20M hose we've bought it's great, it's doesn't kink, it's extremely light and the outer skin allows it to slide easily around corners where the old hose used to grab.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/gardena-...o-set_p0329485
Old 24-02-2022, 07:26 PM   #471
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
We've nearly always used Gardena stuff and recently replaced our daggy old back garden hose with this one.

Other than being the most expensive 20M hose we've bought it's great, it's doesn't kink, it's extremely light and the outer skin allows it to slide easily around corners where the old hose used to grab.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/gardena-...o-set_p0329485
I actually had a look at those last night, they look quite interesting.

I have a fleet of Gardena Flex and HighFlex 13mm hoses at home and at one of my clients garden. I also love their fittings, they just WORK!

https://www.bunnings.com.au/gardena-...-hose_p3120800
https://www.bunnings.com.au/gardena-...-hose_p3120801

And no, $100 for a hose is not unusual, I have spent more..........
https://www.bunnings.com.au/gardena-...-hose_p3120802
Mustang GT

Old 24-02-2022, 07:58 PM   #472
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

When I was a kid, I was fascinated by the two sprinklers my neighbor had in his garden. Why I have no idea, I was and still am fascinated with anything that moves.

In his backyard, he had a green plastic NaanDan base fitted with a Toro IMPOP impact sprinkler.

This base -

With this sprinkler -

In the front garden, he had a brass NaanDan impact sprinkler fitted to a metal base similar to the one below -

This base -

With this sprinkler -

I can't quite remember how old I was then, but all I did was pester my parents for one of each! Eventually I did get something similar, the brass head on the plastic frame, but it was never the same as he had.

I think this experience has set me up for the rest of my life. Whenever I see or learn of something, I want what I want and nothing else will do. Be that cars, detailing products, power tools, gardening equipment, garage floors...........or sprinklers.

I have had a couple of both the Toro and NaanDan sprinklers over the years.

https://www.hillsirrigation.com.au/s...act-sprinkler/
https://duralirrigation.com.au/produ...pact-sprinkler

The brass ones are so well made, will last decades and have a very precise movement compared to cheaper copies. The plastic Toro is just so mesmerizing to watch, it's fast but with a generous water output compared to other plastic impacts. It's the sound of that Toro on the plastic base that takes me back to my childhood though..............I could identify that a mile away.

And with that, I'm off to water my garden...........
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2022, 08:53 PM   #473
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I actually had a look at those last night, they look quite interesting.

I have a fleet of Gardena Flex and HighFlex 13mm hoses at home and at one of my clients garden. I also love their fittings, they just WORK!

https://www.bunnings.com.au/gardena-...-hose_p3120800
https://www.bunnings.com.au/gardena-...-hose_p3120801

And no, $100 for a hose is not unusual, I have spent more..........
https://www.bunnings.com.au/gardena-...-hose_p3120802
We replaced our highflex with the new textile one as the old one was awkward (and heavy for my wife) to roll and hang up neatly.

As for the price, our new one is 20m not 30m. I'd hate to think how much a 30m textile one would be
Old 02-03-2022, 08:14 PM   #474
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

This is another story of my childhood obsession and imitation.

So I explained the sprinklers that fascinated me from my neighbor's garden, well his tap timers were the same. I was (still am I suppose) a very weird child. Again, it comes down to how things move and work.

He had two of these green Sabco tap timers, for whatever reason I just liked the way they looked and how they felt when turned. Of course, I wanted one of these as well.

And again, the pestering of my parents led me to getting a very cheap and poor quality imitation. I just WAS NOT the same!

Sabco no longer make these timers. Up until the early 2000's, they did sell an updated blue version that lost some of the horizontal bulk but I can't even find an image of these anywhere.

For a long time, I liked these (Hardie) Pope orange timers, which is what the neighbor replaced the Sabco's with. Again, the word imitation rings true. These have a small grey tab at the bottom of the dial that needs to be pressed before being able to turn the knob. I never really understood why that was needed, I always found it just confused people.

These Gardena timers are what I use now. They have a similar movement/feel to those old Sabco's.

They have recently had an update with a new dial...............I like the look of the older design better.

I'm guessing there are not many people who put this much thought into a bloody tap timer. That's how my brain works, and the reason why I like everything just so.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2022, 09:11 PM   #475
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hear what your saying but I prefer the auto control box and the pop up sprayers, adjust the time 3 times a year, walk around once a month when they are spraying to confirm they are spraying.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:16 PM   #476
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Hear what your saying but I prefer the auto control box and the pop up sprayers, adjust the time 3 times a year, walk around once a month when they are spraying to confirm they are spraying.
My back yard gardens are automated, and I like how that is one less thing I have to water in my day.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2022, 09:22 PM   #477
prydey
Rob

Quote:
What controller do you use?

I had a philmac controller running the systems when I moved in to the house in currently in. Previous owner set it all up. Lasted about 5or 6 years and then died. Knowing nothing about electronics I just opted to replace it. I've been through 2 since (holman I think) but just can't find one as user friendly as that original philmac one. Looked up philmac but they don't seem to sell that sort of stuff any more.

I've modded mine more times than I care to count, but currently have 4 valves controlling 2 lawn areas and 2 garden areas. It's programmed basically for when we go away, usually in summer. Being so not user friendly quite often I'm just using it manually.

Be good to know of a reasonable user friendly one.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:07 PM   #478
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
What controller do you use?

I had a philmac controller running the systems when I moved in to the house in currently in. Previous owner set it all up. Lasted about 5or 6 years and then died. Knowing nothing about electronics I just opted to replace it. I've been through 2 since (holman I think) but just can't find one as user friendly as that original philmac one. Looked up philmac but they don't seem to sell that sort of stuff any more.

I've modded mine more times than I care to count, but currently have 4 valves controlling 2 lawn areas and 2 garden areas. It's programmed basically for when we go away, usually in summer. Being so not user friendly quite often I'm just using it manually.

Be good to know of a reasonable user friendly one.
Are you talking about the programable tap timers, or a central controller that activates valves/solenoids'?

Automated Tap -
https://www.google.ca/search?q=autom...h=714&dpr=1.25

Central Controller -
https://www.google.ca/search?q=hunte...h=714&biw=1536
Mustang GT

Old 02-03-2022, 10:14 PM   #479
prydey
Rob

Central controller
Old 02-03-2022, 10:23 PM   #480
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Central controller
Ok, I have used three main types over the years.

These ones with sliders are very easy to program and adjust -

The worst are the Toro ones, I hate the how complicated they are to program, push this then this then this........avoid!

The Hunter controllers are the one to have. They sit in the middle for ease of programming.

Mustang GT