Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #31
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Default Re: Ford moves to sell its Australian manufacturing plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Wonder what the Forums budget is

Could be our club-house & meeting place

Even room for a workshop or two
As long as they include the die stamps for coupe quarters you can count me in for a pineapple!
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #32
Mainforcepatrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Not sure it will go to Ford Australia as it's owned by Ford Land I believe.

Stamping plant is big enough for a strip. Great idea

All the testing has been done. I'm pretty sure the adverts mentioned full reports were available for potential buyers? Not to mention there are legislation around the selling of potentially contaminated properties.

The stamping and engine plants date back to the 20's when there was no such thing as pollution laws. And they run deep pits underground. There are many coolant pits 4 or 5 stories deep.
The councils would be licking their lips with the rates grab if it were subdivided for housing.

Cairnlea in Melbs nth west was once the ICI explosives factory for many years and the land sold out very quickly so the public it seems did not have much concerns.
Mainforcepatrol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #33
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

...then you have the Sydney suburb of Rhodes that had a large development on a site that produced Agent Orange for Vietnam.

Most of the soil was removed, but the bay is still toxic and no fish are safe to eat.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2018, 08:41 PM   #34
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

[QUOTE=simon varley;6192499]so was Sydney, and that was neglected for so long that it had to be demolished. Let's hope that's not the case here.

Sydney Homebush is still there, the main office is a coffee/sandwhich shop named GT Café. Surprisingly there is no automotive memorabilia in the shop or anything to remember the Ford presence there. Many ex employees have monthly runs/meetings there (most of which are retired now). It has potential to be a proper GT Café if an enthusiast took over.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&r...37695479222874

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&r...37695198890138
GTLEGEND is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #35
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
[QUOTE

Sydney Homebush is still there, the main office is a coffee/sandwhich shop named GT Café. Surprisingly there is no automotive memorabilia in the shop or anything to remember the Ford presence there. Many ex employees have monthly runs/meetings there (most of which are retired now). It has potential to be a proper GT Café if an enthusiast took over.
I can remember running courier parcel out of there. Wasn't it a truck plant for a while then Hyundai had it as well.
Can you remember Ford Hastings Deering down the road in Lidcombe.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #36
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I can remember running courier parcel out of there. Wasn't it a truck plant for a while then Hyundai had it as well.
Can you remember Ford Hastings Deering down the road in Lidcombe.

When Laser production finished in the mid 1990’s it closed.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #37
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Sydney Homebush is still there
maybe it was Brisbane then? anyway, hopefully won't be the same for the Victorian sites. If the Geelong developers in the CBD can retain some of the old facades they should be able to do something with these.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2018, 08:22 PM   #38
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
maybe it was Brisbane then? anyway, hopefully won't be the same for the Victorian sites. If the Geelong developers in the CBD can retain some of the old facades they should be able to do something with these.
The port will have a big say. Plant 5 was supposed to be a home maker centre but the port objected and it never went ahead. I’d imagine they’d have a similar influence this time around.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
The port will have a big say. Plant 5 was supposed to be a home maker centre but the port objected and it never went ahead. I’d imagine they’d have a similar influence this time around.
How can the factories already in place be a burden on the port in any way? All the movement on vehicles etc happens on the other side of the site as the research and development centre is the closest part to the port, and that bit isn't part of the sale.

The homemaker center was objected to by a lot of people, and rejected by the council because it wasn't zoned retail and was not a good fit for that site.

It wasn't rejected because of the port, they would have been one of hundreds who lodged complaints.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2018, 08:37 PM   #40
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
How can the factories already in place be a burden on the port in any way? All the movement on vehicles etc happens on the other side of the site as the research and development centre is the closest part to the port, and that bit isn't part of the sale.

The homemaker center was objected to by a lot of people, and rejected by the council because it wasn't zoned retail and was not a good fit for that site.

It wasn't rejected because of the port, they would have been one of hundreds who lodged complaints.
I remember reading back then the port objected to the rezoning as it would affect any future expansions they might make. I know there were more objections, Godfrey Hirst faced the same thing, but I do remember the port made the most noise about it and in reports they were mentioned the most.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post