Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 19-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Considering a Territory

I know this is kinda general but just bouncing ideas around at moment but considering 7 seater options and being a Ford nut the Terri comes to mind.

So , AWD not important, had a Outback 8 years, never done any off road stuff,
prefer auto,
diesel/petrol ??

what models should I be looking at? and what to look out for?

or should I think of another brand?? ducking for cover
Old 19-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #2
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Considering a Territory

I bought an SZII Titanium Diesel AWD in Feb 2017, it was a late June 2016 build so few months off near end of production.
The first thing is it lacks the latest safety tech features like lane assist, AEB, active cruise control so if these things are remotely required sadly shop elsewhere.
However for space efficiency, ride, handling, solid build, reliability, storage I cannot recommend them highly enough and our extended family has had over 10 of them since release. I'm on my third personally. The V6 diesel hasn't got the urge of the petrol but it's smoother and reminds me of a small petrol V8 for the manner in which it runs.
It blows soot on hard acceleration but then again so do Land Rovers running the same engine. It doesn't have a diesel particulate filter so short runs won't effect it.
I'd suggest start at the top of the tree with an SZII and work back based on your circumstances.
The ICC/Sync2 has lag compared to Sync 3 and hopefully one day a replacement upgrade might come downunder the way it's so easily done in the USA.
They are just a good, honest comfortable car and if it could have gone one more upgrade it would have been sensational.
Petrols will be cheaper to buy naturally.
Fortunately I've never had and problems so those better experienced can add their thoughts.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 19-09-2018 at 12:33 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bugga should have said budget would be max $20k

but I appreciate your comments Dr Smith.
Old 19-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Tonz,

Head over to the SZ Tez section on these forums, where these questions, and more, have been asked and advice offered.

Personally, I prefer the petrol to the diesel (cheaper purchase price, cheaper maintenance costs, and a well known, reliable engine. But, I don't do a lot of kms where the tipping point might be more in favour of the diesel.

The Territory is a great car, despite the fact that it is lacking in newer technology compared to most of its competitors. For a no fuss, comfortable, relatively cheap to operate, and relatively reliable 7 seater, you can't go wrong, IMHO.

Hope that helps.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
This user likes this post:
Old 19-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks psycho, posted here as I didnt know what model I should look at .
Old 19-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #6
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
bugga should have said budget would be max $20k

but I appreciate your comments Dr Smith.
$15K-20K will get you a 2012-2014 SZ.
about 400 available on carsales 2/3rd s on offer are diesels.
but there's some lower km Petrols that look like the better Buy.

test drive one!!
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 19-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

The SA market is a few grand dearer than the east coast so you might struggle to get a low km diesel SZ in TS or Titanium for under $20k. If you don't mind shopping interstate then you should be able to get something. Many dealers will ship cars for free too.

If you don't plan on towing then the benefits of a diesel aren't as big, if any depending on how you look at things. Diesel is cheaper around town also but diesel is also nearly always dearer.

If you need 7 seats full time, I would test it out in that area first. The third row in a territory isn't that generous. Really only suitable for pre teen in my view.
Old 19-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #8
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
$15K-20K will get you a 2012-2014 SZ.
about 400 available on carsales 2/3rd s on offer are diesels.
but there's some lower km Petrols that look like the better Buy.

test drive one!!
I've worked for a couple of clients who traded their petrol Territory's citing them as heavy on fuel but I figured they were both leadfoots.

2 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #9
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

They are riddled with suspension problems.
Old 19-09-2018, 05:46 PM   #10
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Really?

Is this from first hand experience?
Old 19-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I've worked for a couple of clients who traded their petrol Territory's citing them as heavy on fuel but I figured they were both leadfoots.
Petrol territories will be thirsty but no better or worse than any other similar car that size and power.

My diesel does 8-9L/100km with ave speed reading 45km/h. I'd imagine a petrol version would be 11-12 for the same use, considering my fg did around 10.
Old 19-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #12
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Wow, please elaborate.
I wish I had known this years ago.
I had 3 that I must have been extremely lucky with, an SY and 2 SZs
Never had a problem with any of them
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
Old 19-09-2018, 07:17 PM   #13
peaterj
Donating Member

I bought a 2011 TS SZ petrol 7 seater a couple of weeks ago from a dealer for 14k with 140k on it.

Couldn't believe how it drives for such a big car and the old girl has a bit of go in it.

While i would of liked one with less mileage on it it wasn't worth the extra coin to me.

Another bonus is i can get underneath it to service without jacking it up.

Old 19-09-2018, 09:56 PM   #14
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

How many K's is acceptable, im in Adelaide and the mob where i bought mine has a white 2012 SZ TX 7 seat diesel with 91k's for $17k and although i didnt look too closely, it appeared tidy.

I paid $15k for a 2013 TX diesel with 120k and pick it up tomorrow night, cant wait to be honest.
6 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2018, 10:09 PM   #15
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

unfortunately just putting some thoughts together at moment, I have enough things to complete before end of year without arranging complete swap around of all cars.
Old 19-09-2018, 10:26 PM   #16
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
unfortunately just putting some thoughts together at moment, I have enough things to complete before end of year without arranging complete swap around of all cars.
Fair enough, just thought i'd mention it.
Old 19-09-2018, 11:24 PM   #17
Bolly47
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes
that is true as fews years ago i had replace worn out rose joint ,**** rubbers and replace Polyurethane on rear suspension and couples in the front at 190000K now done 230000 km so far is going fine
Ford Australia should able use high quality grade rubber on suspension parts on all australian made cars before they shut down
Old 20-09-2018, 12:36 AM   #18
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Terry was a great car, and realistically you need to look at a European to get something that fits the same criteria.

AWD is freakin awesome. You can plant your foot, in the wet, in a bend, and she will power out. Its not an offroad car, but at the same time is awesome on gravel, and won't get bogged in soft shoulders . Oh, and if you ever do wnat to pull a boat up a ramp, AWD is great.
Problem is that if you buy an SZ, you can only get AWD in the diesel.
Unless you are over 75, obsessed with fuel consumption to the point that you park on the street to save fuel, or plan to spend your entire life towing a caravan, forget the diesel. It's a turd. Well polished, but a turd nonetheless.

I would not look any older than an SYII, especially with your budget. Prioer models did suffere with a defective balljoint set-up, that was completely redesigned for the SYII.

One of the problems with the Terry, is that they insisted on trying to sell THREE different trim levels, on basically identical cars. So equipment that should have been in the base modle TX, isn't, becuase then they'd have nothing to differentiate the TS and Ghia/Titanium. If you want Leather seats, its either top of the wozza, or look out for one of the limited edition models. If not, its up to you whether you think the extra bits & bobs are worth it.

Thing to remember is that the Terry is a large RWD/AWD SUV. It not comparable to something like an Overlander, which many people may find suits their purposes better.

The other downside if you're looking to buy now, is that because there are no new ones available, and no ex-fleet models flooding the market, they are holding their value
Old 20-09-2018, 08:07 AM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Just like every Falcon on the road.

Just a case of soft bushing for comfort that flog out over a bit of time.
Common with a lot of cars really .... Ford did that for lower NVH levels.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #20
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I'm one of those lead foots hence why I purchased the diesel (RWD) that and I love the sound. I average 9.5-10L/100
however for a 2nd hand purchase & travelling less k's I think the petrol is a better Buy for a number of reasons.

PS Dont listen to DAZ he spruks the benefits of the AWD every time we have one of these threads, I'm not sure hes driven a RWD..I can assure you there's no safety issue and you can plant you foot in the wet with no issues.
with his attitude Falcons must be a death trap..

and the diesel is far from being a Turd.
Old 20-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #21
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Petrol territories will be thirsty but no better or worse than any other similar car that size and power.

My diesel does 8-9L/100km with ave speed reading 45km/h. I'd imagine a petrol version would be 11-12 for the same use, considering my fg did around 10.
Just as a comparison, the last time I checked our petrol Tez, the economy was in the mid 13 to low 14 per 100km range, and I think that was with an average speed of between 30 to 40km/h. That would be taken over a distance of approx 15,000km as we never reset those readings.

For a vehicle that weighs over two tonne kerbside and with the flexibility that the Tez has, that seems pretty reasonable to me.

Sure, it is not miserly, but then it is not a compact vehicle that you struggle to fit two adults and two kids into either.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
2 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #22
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its worth noting my Father in law averages 10L/100 from his Petrol SZ.
however Its all rural driving and I think he does 90kph on the Hume where the speed limit is 110...
Old 20-09-2018, 12:10 PM   #23
prydey
Rob

Quote:
given you have a bit of time on your hands to do your research, like I mentioned earlier, if you really need 7 seats, then I would look at which cars can comfortably carry 7 people of the size you require.

I have had my 2 kids (9 and 17) in the rear of mine a couple of times and its ok for the 9 year old, but not so much for the eldest. ok for shorter trips, but definitely not for long journeys.

I have hopped in their myself and to give an adult sufficient legroom you really have to compromise the second row legroom also, and you wouldn't fit 2 of me in there (6'2, 95kg), not that you ever would.

Other 7 seat options around that price point is 08 era (give or take) prado, or Pajero, which being slightly bigger should be roomier. also, there's a couple of late model Santa Fe's but they have high km for that price. Captiva 7's are cheap and I wouldn't touch one, but the later one's are supposedly a lot better. no idea as to their roominess.

If 7 seats isn't critical then the territory, although older now, can still hold its head extremely high when it comes to driving dynamics. Even now in 2018 it would still compete well in this area.
Old 20-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #24
Oldbugger

I have a 2013 SZ mk 2 TS Diesel RWD that has now travelled 92,000 kms and have had no trouble with the vehicle. Drives and rides like a car on the road and trips from Melb to Wagga are comfortable and average 8 ltrs per 100 kms. It does suffer a little from "turbo lag" when you plant the foot and there's a moments hesitation before it accelerates away but I believe this is common. With the diesel EGR valves can be an issue and we had to replace both of ours at 90K. For a Ford dealer to replace I was quoted $1400 to do one side but you can buy the valves on ebay and have a mechanic fit both for under $1000.
We have been looking for a replacement for the Territory but it is so reliable and versatile we are loath to part with it. A Ford Escape may at some stage find it's way into the garage but not just yet.

Pass Ride: FG GT White
Old 20-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #25
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
given you have a bit of time on your hands to do your research, like I mentioned earlier, if you really need 7 seats, then I would look at which cars can comfortably carry 7 people of the size you require.

I have had my 2 kids (9 and 17) in the rear of mine a couple of times and its ok for the 9 year old, but not so much for the eldest. ok for shorter trips, but definitely not for long journeys.

I have hopped in their myself and to give an adult sufficient legroom you really have to compromise the second row legroom also, and you wouldn't fit 2 of me in there (6'2, 95kg), not that you ever would.

Other 7 seat options around that price point is 08 era (give or take) prado, or Pajero, which being slightly bigger should be roomier. also, there's a couple of late model Santa Fe's but they have high km for that price. Captiva 7's are cheap and I wouldn't touch one, but the later one's are supposedly a lot better. no idea as to their roominess.

If 7 seats isn't critical then the territory, although older now, can still hold its head extremely high when it comes to driving dynamics. Even now in 2018 it would still compete well in this area.

Pretty much this.

Although ... I have set in the 3rd row myself a number of times ... a couple of those times for at least an hour ... and had no issues myself ... as long as I am on the driver's side as there is more foot room under the 2nd row seat.

I'm 5'11 and just over 100kg myself.

But it is good that it allows all of us (inlaws included) to get away without 2 cars for a day trip. And still fit a decent Steelcraft pram in the back as well.

For the price .... it's hard not to dismiss the Territory for what it is/was ... as mentioned earlier ... you need to start looking at Euro vehicles to get similar/better specs ..... but then you are looking at double the price and more (for something slightly better).

The I6 Petrol platform is a simple one and easy to work on if needed without braking the bank. Unfortunately only available in RWD now. It's still surefooted in the wet though (wheelspin can be induced if you are silly though).

I went from a (full time) AWD SX to a RWD SZII petrol myself. Not needing AWD anymore ... and wanting to stay with the tried and true I6 Petrol with ZF platform as well.

It punts along well when pushed ... but can be fairly frugal on the highway if needed as well.

If you are after a vehicle of towing though ... you are best off with the TDCi AWD IMHO

Speak with prydey as he knows what it is like in your region for Territory models and whats available.

I can atttest .. the dealer I got mine from delivered mine to me ... 500km away and took my old one as a trade back with them. Pretty good in my books and the icing on the cake of the purchase as well.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #26
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post

I can atttest .. the dealer I got mine from delivered mine to me ... 500km away and took my old one as a trade back with them. Pretty good in my books and the icing on the cake of the purchase as well.
That dealer is Blacklocks? they currently have 18 Territory's showing on their site a good place to start looking IMO
Old 20-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #27
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGEREST View Post
Wow, please elaborate.
I wish I had known this years ago.
I had 3 that I must have been extremely lucky with, an SY and 2 SZs
Never had a problem with any of them
Poor ball joint design 05-11, causes the joints to pull apart. Gf's father is a mechanic and has seen dozens of cases of it.
Old 20-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #28
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93EB_SXR6 View Post
Poor ball joint design 05-11, causes the joints to pull apart. Gf's father is a mechanic and has seen dozens of cases of it.
keep up. Ball joints were addressed 10 years ago bud.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2018, 04:06 PM   #29
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93EB_SXR6 View Post
Yes, everybody knows about the BJ issue. It was partially fixed with a new replacement part (fitted free by Ford) and completely redesigned for the SYII. So more like 2009 than 2011.

The irony of this that it only becomes an issue because Australian Ford owners are accustomed to their cars running for 200,000km +. Long after their Korean competitors have completely shat themselves.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #30
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As for 7 seats, you won't find anything better in its class.
Yes legroom is a major issue, but the only way you get better legroom for a 3rd row is to go for a dedicated people-mover, a van, or a large 4wd. A Prado or Patrol is better because they sit much higher, but those sits also take up much more space, and the cars are more expensive, less frugal, and drive like trucks. We have a Patrol, I like it, but there is no comparison between it and our Territory.
6 users like this post:
Closed Thread