Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Performance Vehicles Club of Tasmania > General Discussions

Old 23-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
HSE2

Default Barossa 2010, a "T" story.

T-Series National Gathering 2010

April 16th-18th, Barossa Valley. S.A.

Road trip - For me, this term embodies the very best spirit of mateship and automotive passion, similar to the epics witnessed on Top Gear from time to time.

It’s those episodes I enjoy the most because they normally showcase various cars in the environment they were designed and intended. Sometimes that’s frustrating with quirks or characters that give machines human like qualities.

Such traits are often found under the category of muscle car, a term most likely loosely applied to today’s automotive offerings.
The much maligned AU series Falcon is also the most driver focused product of the last decade. Refinement often brings dilution of elements essential to sheer driving pleasure. NVH can spell compromise in this world.

What you are about to read is a road trip report from the passenger seat of the last great drivers car created by Tickford. That this car was accompanied by 25 of its brethren from all over Australia makes this a true road trip experience of nearly epic proportions. Welcome to "T" Story 2010.

While not a club function it was great to see four T series cars make the trip, departing Wednesday night, on the Spirit. Karren’s (Karl) T3 TE in Congo, Tim’s T3 TS50 in Blueprint, Damion’s T3 TE50 also in Blueprint and Andrew’s T3 TS50 in Narooma made up the Tasmania contingent.

In the weeks leading up to departure much effort was exerted to make sure the cars were in the best possible shape. Some visited body works to eradicate blemishes, some added accessories like car bras for the first time. Some even had mechanical upgrades. The effort in my eyes certainly paid dividends as all cars presented highly.

Three of the four awaiting departure.

To say I had the best seat in the house would be dismissive of the class on display but I must say without hesitation that, for me, the T3 TS50 has the best interior of any Ford prior to FG.

The comfort, the ambience, the performance and yes even the economy, all contribute to make one hesitate in judgement. One has to stop to reflect that this isn’t a standard T3 such is the standard of modifications, a trait born of all of Tim’s past projects.
(Insert overall trip consumption when available)

Conversation points for us kept coming back to the car. Tim’s standard is high, so any noise that was out of place received immediate note and attention. From my perspective, this car should be seen as a muscle car from the modern era, containing a rawness that is addictive, dare I say mandatory in making the driving experience what it is renowned to be. These cars aren’t for everyone. For some it’s an acquired taste, for others it’s the fulfilment of a dream.

These cars have character and individuality that make them unique. No two cars are truly the same and for me that’s a charm, a quality that adds appeal in a world dominated by NVH.

There is a sense of occasion about my seat for this trip that is akin to an amphitheatre on wheels. Sensory overload personified in every respect.

Last edited by HSE2; 28-04-2010 at 06:09 PM.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
HSE2

Day one.
Thursday morning greets us with both excitement and fatigue. Sleep over night had been a rare commodity for many of us. However the later was soon forgotten as part of the Melbourne contingent welcomed us over breakfast and a very enjoyable meal it was too.

Ford was the first port of call. I think the plan was to get photos of the cars under the sign but that didn’t really present itself. More T series owners would join us at this point before heading to our next stop at FPR where the undeniable highlight was an impromptu tour organised by T series owner Tony (aka Elks).
Although the team and cars were in New Zealand I rate this tour as the best I have been on at this facility. Vastly different from the organised efforts during the family day or such, less restrictive with more of a family feeling than tour atmosphere. In fact the entire trip would take on a family persona in the days to come.

A massive thank you must go out to Tony for this opportunity.
The call to arms went out which meant it was time to hit the road. Out over night destination would be Mildura, a 550ish km trip.

A highlight of this portion of the trip would be the excellent radio and lead car conduct of Jeff (aka T3 man) and Therese. Would be one of the best pieces of formation driving I have had the pleasure to witness.

Day one concluded in Mildura. Accommodation was split over two establishments.

This very evening saw the northern continent, made up of representation from QLD and NSW converge on Mildura and entangle with the convoy from the south for a meal and social interaction.

Many a story and trip experience was shared, some more colourful that others but a good time was had by all.

I shared again with my road trip buddy- Andrew. (Not sure if that 1 2 or 3) I didn’t part take in the evening festivities but sometime around midnight I received a text to make sure I was still awake and that I hadn’t locked him out. What a thoughtful chap our Andrew is. Funny too as he fell off the bed but that’s another story.

Andrews perspective->" apart from the fact that you called me a spanner, and that i fell out of bed, which wasn’t really true, I didn’t fall out of bed, the bed got a life of its own and threw me out"

Last edited by HSE2; 28-04-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 23-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
HSE2

Day two started where day one essentially finished off. A quick check of the detailing of the precious metal, to make sure everything was to standard, brekkie in the mall, then gather at Bob Janes in preparation to head off to the Barrosa Valley. Now you might think that this spelling is erroneous but it's not our fault that the locals created so many signs saying something very different to the memorial stuck on the sides of the cars.

The distance required today was a mere 330ish kms so there was never really any stress over having to be at anyone place at any given time and well short of the 550ish travelled the previous day.

Many of the cars were keeping fuel logs for this trip and I think I would be correct in claiming that all returned very respectable numbers. Further information can be found in the T series appreciation room.
Our accommodation for the next three nights would be the Angaston motel and arrival at said was uneventful. Funny how everyone had the same idea. “Quick- unpack the car and head to the only carwash in town.”

Some took a more direct route but we all got there in the end and we all had plenty of time to clean the cars. When I said uneventful I sort of dismissed the amount of locus that called in for a closer look at what to them must have seemed like a mirage. So many nice, clean and shiny targets. It couldn’t possibly be true could it? Check out the front of Jeff’s (T3man) TE to see just how close they got!

Day three consisted of a display and tour of the Birdwood Motor Museum.

For me it was my first real opportunity to take photos and speak to many of the owners. On a personal note I was amazed at how good silver looked on a T series. How good so many look on the road, the rims on Maurice’s car and the presentation of each and everyone one.
The owners weren’t bad either.

The next stop was the biggest rocking horse in the world, Gumeracha Toy Factory, for light refreshments ahead of travelling back to the accommodation and evening meal.

Such is the class and the contemporary design of these cars, one does have to stop and remember that they are in fact approaching ten years old. As such there were a few minor issues that had to be sorted during the stops on successive night.

I can't go on without making a special mention to the comradery and spirit that was evident for all to see. We had four club members attend this function but we were not representing our club. We were part of a greater family this day and there is no greater proof of this then when Karl and Karren had the misfortune to do a water pump seal on day three.
Who carries a spare water pump with them? Who carries tools to carry out such repairs?

Shayne (FTE347) in T3 TL came to the rescue with a brand new water pump. Andrew had many of the tools in the back of his car which belayed the nick name spanner appointed to him the previous night and there were many hands to hold light and offer advice and assistance.

Pretty amazing if you ask me and says a lot about the spirit of these cars and their owners.

Last edited by HSE2; 28-04-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 26-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
HSE2

Day 4 for us and the last day that the group would be together included the must have group shot ahead of a trip to one of the local wineries for a BBQ lunch provided by the XR8, XR6 and FPV owners car club of SA.

The group shot seemed to take forever but it was worth it. What a magnificent sight and backdrop for a group photo.

Mengelers Hill

The official end of the trip concluded with a draw of the raffle and to elect the next venue in two years time.

Tasmania will host the next bi annual T series owner event.

For this event there was representation from Mackey in Qld as far south as Tasmania, Western Australian and just about everywhere in between. That's a pretty sensational effort.

The guys have big shoes to fill but it has already started. I can’t wait to see what they come up with.
Goodbye, farewell and see you in Tassie 2012.

Reflections of our environment

Whispering Wall

Last edited by HSE2; 28-04-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 26-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
HSE2

Back at our Angaston motel accommodation that evening, there were still plenty of members to indulge in festivities and to celebrate a magnificent weekend.

For Tim and myself it was like the next phase of our holiday was about to start and just when you thought opportunities were over, new and exciting ones presented.

The remaining cars left in convoy, Monday morning and stayed that way till Horsham where J.C and Shayne headed north. In fact everyone went their separate ways at this point. We were on track to make Melbourne by about 6:00 pm.

Tuesday was very much a recovery day as evident by me falling asleep while Tim was in deep discussion the previous night. I woke during the night to realise the crime I had committed.

Wednesday saw us back at Ford and FPV. At some point we got invited to display Tim's and Damion’s car at a charity event on Fords ground. Both the FPR race drivers were in attendance as well as Moffat and Bowe.

But the highlight for me was an impromptu tour of the Ford factory organised by Andrew. This was a first for me. Never been on such a tour and in a word it was sensational.

Afternoon tea was out at Tony’s place of employment before heading back to the apartment. I had a friend I needed to catch up with that night so the remaining T series owners went for a meal that evening.

Thursday was D day. I think we were all looking forward to getting back home. I think once you start for home, that is the beginning of the end. Reality kicks in, fatigue sets in and home can’t come soon enough.

That lasted till about now as I have had enough of home and can’t wait for the next opportunity to present itself.

Reflection is a marvellous excuse to realise things that should have been self evident in the first place.
Obviously I have some thanks that need to be apportioned. Tim who offered the seat many many months ago, for persisting with that invitation and for being patient with my procrastination.

There is no secret that I wanted to spend as much time in his car as possible. It was my justification in saying yes in the first place but I guess I never really had a full appreciation of the completeness of these modifications.

Awesome sounding exhaust when you want it to be but unobtrusive when it should be. Power and economy and exceptional comfortable given the large kms travelled in one hit. There is no good pretending that the game hasn’t moved on it terms of refinement but as a pure driving machine, one that gives just a hint to the rawness of it ancestry, there are none better.

The unexpected. Ford tours were exceptional, the sort of bonus one doesn’t expect but incremental experiences that just add to the richness of the trip.

A special thank you(s) to Tony and Andrew for the respective tours.

To Maurice, you are exactly as Spiro described and how I read your net contributions every day. Which leads me into the fabric of the members on display during this outing. All first class.

TopGunT3- thanks for the taxi service. Best Taxi I have ever been in and a real credit to you.

FTe342 for the opportunity of riding in the very rare T3 TL.

The people that assisted our fellow club member GT750 with the water pump issue.

I had great conversation with the vast majority of people on this trip. I definitely felt going in that there would be a family aspect, a familiarisation between members born of the link that is this forum. That’s a credit to the medium which allows for it but more so the determination of the members to live in the spirit of which these cars embody above all else.

Enjoyment- Driven, shared, lived.

Going home.

Last edited by HSE2; 28-04-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 28-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
HSE2

For more info on the trip, excellent write ups and photos please visit the T series appreciation room.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 28-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

Fantastic read Ian. It was a pleasure to spend the time in the car with you. Glad you enjoyed it.
I am much the same, now that im back at work i just want to leave and do it all again

I cant wait for 2012, bring it on i say
2010 FPV F6 Ute
2016 FGX XR6 Sprint
2020 PX3 Ranger Wildtrak
TICK4D-TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
HSE2

I guess the message for members is that we are now starting to average a mainland road trip a year either directly as a club function or a sub event. Great experience that enhances relationships between man (woman) and machine.

I realise this is probably a bit more specific than say the Muscle Car Master last year but if people get the opportunity don’t dismiss it out of hand. You won’t regret it.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 28-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
fpvgtp

Brilliant write up Ian, we missed an excellent trip maybe have to get organised and put one together trouble is we may struggle to maintain the standard.
Good to see and read that all had a good enjoyable trip.
fpvgtp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvgtp
Brilliant write up Ian, we missed an excellent trip maybe have to get organised and put one together trouble is we may struggle to maintain the standard.
Good to see and read that all had a good enjoyable trip.

With an eye to next year we have a couple of options under consideration as part of our 10th celebrations. Then there are the GT nationals in QLD next April.

I was going to do that trip but I might defer in preference to club events. Will have to see I guess.
Old 28-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great write up Ian, quite a good read.

Some bloody good photo's there too.

As Tim said, I'd also be happy to leave and do it all again. And bring on 2012!!!
Old 28-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
I had great conversation with the vast majority of people on this trip. I definitely felt going in that there would be a family aspect, a familiarisation between members born of the link that is this forum. That’s a credit to the medium which allows for it but more so the determination of the members to live in the spirit of which these cars embody above all else.

Enjoyment- Driven, shared, lived.
Ian.......you have a way with words and get them on print that I can only dream of !
Amen your quote above ! pics top class !

Nothing else needs to be said, my pleasure meeting you Damion Andrew again Tim Karl and family, everyone had a part in this trip didn't they
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"

Last edited by FTE217; 28-04-2010 at 11:10 PM.
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #13
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nice write up again Ian
Thats 2 road trips we have done togeter in 7 months
both have been excellent
But a good road trip also has to have like minded people on it,
But with good company and a good plan, I believe the road trips are awesome
Now is up for Route 66??
Old 29-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Excellent write-up Ian. If only we could wind the clock back two weeks...
Old 29-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #15
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fantastic write up.
And I found a new signature quote.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #16
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hords
Excellent write-up Ian. If only we could wind the clock back two weeks...
or perhaps forward two years.

Then again perhaps thats not such a good idea.
Old 29-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #17
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
or perhaps forward two years.

Then again perhaps thats not such a good idea.
Mate I am aging fast enough
dont wish that on us
hahahaha
Old 01-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #18
cshfpv
Starter Motor

Great reading Ian and awesome photos sounds like u all had a fantastic trip
Colin
cshfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #19
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Great story Ian.

Im had a blast on the trip and am very much looking forward to he Tas event.

T
Old 02-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #20
chazza351
Banned

Great story
Can't wait to get my T on the road and join in
chazza351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post