Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-03-2018, 08:22 AM   #61
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Driving at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
Trouble is to make it easier to police they ban them all.. EASY !!
It's the lowest common denominator approach. If 85% of the community have no idea about proper light dispersion (and it would be more like 98% in reality) then it's easier to ban than educate.

There are some very good solutions using LED lights - but very few that are actually retro-fit by the DIY for a reasonable cost. And this is where the problem lies - the DIY person wants the cheapest price, which is often the crappest quality, and more often than not many of these are in busted-*** cars that the owner scratches through the coin tray to pay for petrol.

Many of the eBay ads clearly state "not for on-road use" yet their attitude is "F-the-World, I'm doing it anyway."

Unfortunatley it leaves authorities with no other option than to ban them.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #62
ipn
Ford Escape ZA 3.0L V6

I see LED's mentioned a couple of times , being a torchaholic and using leds here's my ten cents worth .

Leds come in different binning (or shades look it up) , those cheaper ones one sees available are the cool white versions , cool white is the worst for reflecting back colours imo and its proven out there scientifically on the interweb , also using a led to try to read colour codes on resistors and the likes red/brown/grey and others all look the same.

Talking from practical experience here with torches with a single led cool white at 2 amp with throws out to 250m using deep dish reflectors and those Greyish/Silver wood fence posts and anything Rusty Brown in colour like steel power pole supports out here in rural land can practically disappear from vision even when one knows it is there! when one sprays around the light to where that colour is , using a normal torch (halogen) its plainly there .

Guess what colour a Roo can be , yes Rusty brown or Greyish , me personally would never use those Led's as one would not notice its there until it might be too late .

Seriously , anyway i get a nice white light out of the halogens i use on the escape . Paul
Old 08-03-2018, 10:49 PM   #63
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipn View Post
I see LED's mentioned a couple of times , being a torchaholic and using leds here's my ten cents worth .

Leds come in different binning (or shades look it up) , those cheaper ones one sees available are the cool white versions , cool white is the worst for reflecting back colours imo and its proven out there scientifically on the interweb , also using a led to try to read colour codes on resistors and the likes red/brown/grey and others all look the same.

Talking from practical experience here with torches with a single led cool white at 2 amp with throws out to 250m using deep dish reflectors and those Greyish/Silver wood fence posts and anything Rusty Brown in colour like steel power pole supports out here in rural land can practically disappear from vision even when one knows it is there! when one sprays around the light to where that colour is , using a normal torch (halogen) its plainly there .

Guess what colour a Roo can be , yes Rusty brown or Greyish , me personally would never use those Led's as one would not notice its there until it might be too late .

Seriously , anyway i get a nice white light out of the halogens i use on the escape . Paul
Interesting. Over the past few years all the work cars have been slowly changed from halogen spot lights to LED flood lights.
I have noticed that I cannot spot kangaroos any easier with the LEDs even though the LEDs are noticeably brighter and have a wider beam. I assumed that I don't spot them any quicker because the beam was more spread out rather than focused in a smaller area, but I have to say what you said might explain it.
I think it's experiment time if I can find an old torch in the garage.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-03-2018, 02:33 AM   #64
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also interesting to understand how the human eye perceives objects in different light shades and then there is sensitivity, so its no wonder most of us feel 'blinded' with approaching cars these days.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2018, 04:22 PM   #65
ipn
Ford Escape ZA 3.0L V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Interesting. Over the past few years all the work cars have been slowly changed from halogen spot lights to LED flood lights.
I have noticed that I cannot spot kangaroos any easier with the LEDs even though the LEDs are noticeably brighter and have a wider beam. I assumed that I don't spot them any quicker because the beam was more spread out rather than focused in a smaller area, but I have to say what you said might explain it.
I think it's experiment time if I can find an old torch in the garage.
Hi , do some tests if you like , searching around on the interweb will also come up with stuff but not from Led sellers/manufacturers although the honest ones briefly mention it , that phenomenon is well know in the Electronics hobby about reading colour codes using a led .

Leds have a bin type that resembles natural visible light but that also reduces the power output of it compared to say the Cool White and others .

With those work vehicles i would guess (a guess) that if one did disable those Halogen's and only used the Led floods that one might? be surprised on just what colours actually did get reflected back , i can only go by my torches and i'm also a electronics hobbyist and can guarantee using a led reading colour codes is useless , its easier just to measure them eventually or use a "real torch" or light .

One test could be is park in a area out on the road that had alot of brown and silver grey things up ahead like big old fence posts and the likes , then turn off the halogens ? or visa versa .

Paul .
Old 07-05-2023, 08:30 AM   #66
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Living in the bush I love my lights on my 4X4..

300W Osram spot/spread LED light bar in grill, 2x100 watt road side illumination (for the roos) and 2x 100W Roof lights, all on separate switches, but I can set them so that I can flick my high beam and all will come on, night instantly turns to day

Never met my match yet, with these idiots driving around with fog lights or high beams on, even road trains bow down to me

my old val was a four headlight setup .... 130 outers, 120 inners, 100 driving x 2 .... unless i changed the inners to 150. low was 90. now i have to figure out how to have the same in a BA/BF..
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: