Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-11-2015, 10:44 AM   #721
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: Common Problems with the AU??

Hi xr8 007, imo grab a multi meter perhaps & backprobe the power wire at the socket & trace back until you find power. Find the connector, clean it & test it too. Good luck mate!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #722
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Maka, I tried that with the boot light and its alot of work as carpets and trim need to be pulled apart etc. What I may try is re wire it to the tail lights separately, just enough to not attract police attention.

fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247663
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #723
Lethal78
Starter Motor

Hi guys I have a problem with my 2001 au falcon ute 6cyl petrol. While idling in park it sits on about 1800rpm but will drop to 1000rpm with aircon on. My wife has been driving it for the last month and finally decided to tell me its been doing it for about a week. Any help will be appreciated. Cheers Lee.
Lethal78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #724
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi Lethal78, try cleaning your throttlebody & iac valve & see how that goes. If that doesn't do the trick, it could be a faulty sensor so get the ecu scanned for fault codes. Good luck!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 25-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #725
Lethal78
Starter Motor

thanks Maka will give it a go
Old 26-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #726
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Nice to see its fixed Lethal78 lol, you should also lube the ics plunger where it protrudes out of the ics body too but don't over do it. Clean & lube it every three months, good luck!

cheer's, Maka

Old 26-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #727
Lethal78
Starter Motor

thx Maka will do.
Old 23-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #728
BFAB
Starter Motor

Searched today for rear "bearing noise", suggestions here said tyre noise??

Still the same Michelins - can't be that surely? Went and checked - all down almost onto safety indicators more so on insides!!

Being all Michelins and having done 90,788Kms (just checked paperwork from Oct 2008!) I freaked. Talk about reliable motoring when you have reliable motoring.........

Have been nagged about "buy a new one" and was thinking of it (secretly). However after reading the past 20 pages now in doubt!!

The story so far - company purchased 2000 AU2 Fairmont Gia and kept it after retiring (me!!) in 2003. She's been very faithful and now 243,450Ks:
1 Refurbished the message centre 2006'ish
2 New coil and plugs around 2010
3 New leads then head gasket 2014 - thanks to this forum (I couldn't hear the hiss as hearing's poor @ 73yo.
4 Various electrical problems I've fixed myself over the years (retired electronics engineer, buttons need cleaning on DC contacts).

So really, really, nothing to complain about apart from the head gasket which really had me going until my service guy heard the noise. Driving it "like a taxi" helps. She's seen lots of Australia too.

Now my biggest problem is 4 new tyres and keep it going or, as the missus says "trade it in for something smaller". She'll have the new car (want's Mazda 3) and she'll give me her 2008 Mazda 6 Classic Tourer.

So I'll say it again - after reading the past 20 pages now in doubt!! Love this forum!!!!
Brian
BFAB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #729
TRAU BLAU

If it's not a battery problem what's the likely cause of flickering dash lights but no start in an AU?It doesn't seem to be the neutral/park position.Could dampness cause the solenoids or other contacts to not connect?
Old 27-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #730
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAU BLAU View Post
If it's not a battery problem what's the likely cause of flickering dash lights but no start in an AU?It doesn't seem to be the neutral/park position.Could dampness cause the solenoids or other contacts to not connect?
It could be a few things, does it crank over? Wet contacts on the neutral safety switch, a short circuit somewhere in your wiring, burnt relay or fuse, loose power or earth cables at the back of your alternator or engine block, faulty bem or fuel pump etc. Maybe go over some of things I mentioned & see what you find, good luck!

cheer's, Maka

Old 28-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #731
TRAU BLAU

Cheers Maka,thanks for trying to solve problem.Erm...it's not ongoing.I mean everythings fine now but every now & again it's no go.Yeah you mentioned wet neutral safety switch.That would be connected underneath to the gear-select slide.I've had a few rats around I'll have to get under & see if they've eaten anything electrical there.Or like you say it could be damp.I noticed on this last time that the starter gave out a rapid pulse which I was worried could be solenoid.I'm finding it hard to feel around down there but will persevere.Cheers,trAU blAU.
Old 28-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #732
TRAU BLAU

p.s.Is that a mean looking ROCKY(Sylvester Stallone["Italian Stallion"])your emblem?
Old 28-07-2016, 05:22 PM   #733
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
p.s.Is that a mean looking ROCKY(Sylvester Stallone["Italian Stallion"])your emblem?
That's the Ultimate Warrior from WWE, he was a legendary old school US wrestler. 280 pounds of pure muscle in his prime. He was one of the best ever!

cheer's, Maka

Old 02-08-2016, 04:03 PM   #734
xyfalcon383

Hi guys i just purchased a series 3 xr8 it has low kays only 140,000 Looking through the reciepts i noticed it's had the heads recoed new valves the works. Seems a bit strange for such low kms has anyone else had to have their heads recoed ?
xyfalcon383 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #735
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

May have dropped a valve after breaking a valve spring, a couple people have broken valve springs before.
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2016, 05:13 PM   #736
xyfalcon383

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly94 View Post
May have dropped a valve after breaking a valve spring, a couple people have broken valve springs before.
Ok so it's not completely uncommon for these Engines ?
Old 02-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #737
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyfalcon383 View Post
Ok so it's not completely uncommon for these Engines ?
nope happened on t3's too
Old 02-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #738
xyfalcon383

Quote:
nope happened on t3's too
Cool was wondering if i bought a lemon.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:22 PM   #739
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The AU V8 was also notorious for noisy valve guides, several had cylinder head repairs whilst still under warranty, it is alleged Ford used a very tight valve stem seal to reduce oil consumption and improve emissions, and this was the cause of the excessive wear.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #740
TRAU BLAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
That's the Ultimate Warrior from WWE, he was a legendary old school US wrestler. 280 pounds of pure muscle in his prime. He was one of the best ever!

cheer's, Maka
Cheers Maka,I want to put up a pic/symbol on my name but havn't figgered out yet how to do it!Can you take an image off a mobile?Den
Old 03-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #741
xyfalcon383

How have people fixed a 6 stacker that wont take cd's ?
Old 03-08-2016, 10:14 PM   #742
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 
Default Common Problems with the AU??

I did this...

But these forum sponsors did used to offer repairs on them. Worth a try?
http://www.aslautomedia.com.au
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2016, 08:19 AM   #743
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Cheers Maka,I want to put up a pic/symbol on my name but havn't figgered out yet how to do it!Can you take an image off a mobile?Den
Not sure mate, I did mine on a pc, I just used the edit avatar feature that's in user cp on the top bar on the screen. Browse the net for a photo, download it to your pc or maybe mobile phone? then follow the instructions to install. Good luck!

cheer's, Maka

Old 07-08-2016, 11:43 AM   #744
xyfalcon383

Hi guys my auto in my xr8 wont select gears when cold free revs eventually it will end up getting a gear. I haven't checked oil levels yet but was serviced only 4 months ago anyone else had this problem cheers in advance ?
Old 07-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #745
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Hi mate, I'd be looking for any leaks especially at the rear extension housing, sounds like fluid level is low & needs topping up asap. Your AU was all good after the tranny service?

cheer's, Maka

Old 07-08-2016, 12:22 PM   #746
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep auto definitely low on fluid!
Old 08-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #747
xyfalcon383

Quote:
Yep auto definitely low on fluid!
Thanks jacked it up to find Bung stripped. Looks to have a factory transmission cooler fitted. Is it possible to top up with oil through the top pipe on the transmission cooler ?
Old 09-08-2016, 11:02 PM   #748
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Unless you can get the filler plug out you won't be able to check the level, but yes, I'd expect that you could pump some oil in through the cooling lines.
TE2 #116
Old 09-08-2016, 11:12 PM   #749
xyfalcon383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver' View Post
Unless you can get the filler plug out you won't be able to check the level, but yes, I'd expect that you could pump some oil in through the cooling lines.
Yeah i put about 350 ml in using a syringe into the cooling lines. Now selects gears I'll do a full transmission service again shortly. Just needed to get out of trouble etc

Did all Au xr8s come with a tranny cooler or was it a option ?
Old 09-08-2016, 11:15 PM   #750
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

I'm not 100% sure. Certainly all 220kw autos did. You can do a vin lookup on the Ford Etis system and it will mention heavy duty cooling or somesuch in the options list if it was on from factory.
TE2 #116