Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 11-07-2016, 10:20 PM   #1
nathan0308
Starter Motor

Post Buying used LX MC hatch + aftermarket head unit

Hey guys, im looking at buying a 2010 Ford Mondeo LX MC Auto, low km and cheap to buy and want to know what to look for when buying that model? ANy pointers when test driving? Thanks

I was also looking at installing an aftermarket Eonon GA5162F

(https://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-GP...S/GA5162F.html)

Anyone bought one of these on here? Its only $499 AU with a free reversing camera and it comes with Android connectivity and a list of other things, but just looking for the pros and cons of these aswell?

Thanks heaps.
nathan0308 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 12:07 AM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: Buying used LX MC hatch + aftermarket head unit

replace the serpentine belt if it looks remotely worn and excessive cracks along the multigrooves. Check all the electrics work, check the steering for a notchy feel. Get it checked over mechanically.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 2.3 engine could best be described as giving adequate performance. If you regularly load the car up or want to tow, then I'd suggest the Ecoboost or diesel.

But if you put the auto in sport mode and give it a good poke, it goes OK.

A plus is that it's probably the most reliable model.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #4
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan0308 View Post
Hey guys, im looking at buying a 2010 Ford Mondeo LX MC Auto, low km and cheap to buy and want to know what to look for when buying that model? ANy pointers when test driving? Thanks

I was also looking at installing an aftermarket Eonon GA5162F

(https://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-GP...S/GA5162F.html)

Anyone bought one of these on here? Its only $499 AU with a free reversing camera and it comes with Android connectivity and a list of other things, but just looking for the pros and cons of these aswell?

Thanks heaps.
I would be interested in one of these head units if they could be operated via the steering wheel controls. Interested to see if anyone has had experience with them
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
Mondaveo

If you're looking at MC LX, as far as I'm aware the only engine options were the 2.3 atmo petrol and 2.0 turbo-diesel (TDCi). The 2.0 Ecoboost turbo-petrol only appeared in the Zetec and Titanium, and only in the hatch (not wagon).

The 2.3 has a conventional slushbox auto, while the Ecoboost and TDCi have the dual-clutch Powershift 'automated manual'. The Powershift is a wet-clutch unit and doesn't seem to be susceptible to the widespread problems and failures seen with the dry-clutch Powershift in Fiesta and Focus, but we have seen a few issues from gimpy sensors and electronics. (Bundy's and manchu's cars had it; mine has it.) They're a cool little gearbox but stupendously expensive if they go wrong, so either make sure you get a warranty or be very very careful when assessing one.

A sign that the sensor is going bad is the car will occasionally hesitate or 'stumble' on acceleration, like it doesn't know what gear it needs to be in, so if you test drive one take it through a series of roundabouts or intersections and look for that. You could also consider taking an OBDII scanner to check for any trouble codes being thrown.

Regarding the Eonon, jayess posted a review of one here (different model number but it should give you an idea). I believe they do work with the steering wheel buttons, but if you have the premium sound system (Zetec and Titanium only) you stand to lose some integrated features like voice control and Convers+ screen display. For the LX, I think it's a no-brainer and I had plans to do exactly the same (head unit + reversing camera) before I ended up finding the Titanium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #6
Binny

Its good to see the Eonon improving all the time.
Quad core, capacitive touch screen and Canbus integration are all very positive.
But for me its still only a customised Android tablet interface so I wonder how user friendly it will be to use when you are driving. And no voice control to speak of either.
Also I note the huge text saying Supports FullHD but then in much finer print elsewhere you see it is still an 800x480 screen :( My phone has 20x more pixels than that...