Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 02-07-2016, 01:59 PM   #1
ssanjeev
Starter Motor

Default MD Mondeo TDCi Engine Oil

Hi All,

Was just wondering if anyone had any luck in sourcing CASTROL MAGNATEC PROFESSIONAL D 0W-30 - which seems to be the only oil that ford recommends as meeting their specification of WSS-M2C950-A?

I've rung around a fair bit and no one seems to have it in stock or even in their parts list, effectively ruling out SCA, Autobarn, Burson's etc.

Last edited by ssanjeev; 02-07-2016 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Change of Heading
ssanjeev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: MD TDCi Engine Oil

I too found it hard to get Castrol Magnatec Professional for it's A5 spec (MD Ecoboost Titanium) so in the interim got 2x5L bottles of Fords own spec for it (simple rebottle jobbie). I reckon it's just the usual crappy Castrol Ford have, hell it has an old spec on the bottle. For now if you wanted top up oil in the meantime get a small bottle or enough to short change done whilst you source actual Castrol.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2016, 09:08 PM   #3
ssanjeev
Starter Motor

Thanks Cobrin - Seems like the dealer here, doesn't have the A5 in any sized bottle - the ones they do have meet M2C913-B - definitely not recommended and not meant for the MD. Interestingly enough, ETIS says that this diesel engine has an oil consumption up to 0.1L/1000km.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:22 AM   #4
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: MD Mondeo TDCi Engine Oil

Ford and their oil specs ... Have you checked with Castrol?

I wonder what the dealers are using?
Old 04-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #5
ssanjeev
Starter Motor

Alright guys - quick update.

Just got a call from Castrol, in response to my enquiry, bit of good and bad news though. Yes they do have the this oil in 20L & 205L and they sell directly, however order value has to be at least $500
Old 04-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #6
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I understand that you might just be seeking Castrol Oil.
However have you considered Penrite; http://www.penriteoil.com.au/product..._products=6395

Penrite ENVIRO+ C-2 0W-30 Key Spec: Ford M2C950-A
Old 05-07-2016, 12:09 AM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a quick look and of course the main European manufacturers do make oils to this spec. Might be worth calling the Australian agents for Fuchs, Motul, etc.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:32 AM   #8
ssanjeev
Starter Motor

Thanks ope126& NZ XR6

I managed to order a 20L can of Oil through Repco - albeit more expensive than ordering directly from Castrol.

Given that the Mondeo does a heck of a lot of short trips and extended idling, I figured I might need an interim oil change at 7.5k intervals. Also suspect I can use this oil in the fiesta as well.

If anyone is interested in the details of where to order the oil and the part number - happy to message them that information.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:49 PM   #9
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanjeev View Post
Thanks ope126& NZ XR6

I managed to order a 20L can of Oil through Repco - albeit more expensive than ordering directly from Castrol.

Given that the Mondeo does a heck of a lot of short trips and extended idling, I figured I might need an interim oil change at 7.5k intervals. Also suspect I can use this oil in the fiesta as well.

If anyone is interested in the details of where to order the oil and the part number - happy to message them that information.
The Mondeos have an oil quality monitoring system. It will calculate when to change oil based on running conditions. Mine tells me to service oil at about 20000 km (mostly long trips), which is about the maximum the system seems to allow. As usual information is hard to find, but I think it's called 'intelligent oil monitoring' by Ford. On the MC it is reset by pressing the brake and accelerator to the floor, turning ignition on and following further advice.

I'm changing the oil at 15000km, and watching the intelligent system out of the corner of my eye.

What interests me a bit is why the change from 5W-30 to 0W-30 from MC to MD. Ford utopia says: 'Welcome aboard dear valued customers, we are now proud to announce detailed technical information on our latest oil specification . . . "

Last edited by rondeo; 05-07-2016 at 04:07 PM. Reason: addition
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #10
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would still like to know how Ford and Peugeot can use the same engine and yet have very different oil specifications. It would be interesting to know how much Castrol and Total pay for the privilege of being Official Suppliers.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:17 PM   #11
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

I know everyone thinks that your local dealer just puts any old oil in every car. But at the two Ford dealerships I've worked at its just not the case. At both of them the foreman is on everyone's case to make sure the correct oil went in.

At the dealership I work at now we stock Castrol:
A5 magnatec pro 5w30
Edge 0w20
Edge 5w20
Edge 0w40
Edge oex 5w30
Magnatec pro 15w40
RX super 15w40
Magnatec pro 5w40
And now Magnatec pro D 0w30
That's just engine oils and we also stock about 10 diff and trans oils.
Only yesterday eight 205L drums turned up as well as a couple of 60L and a few 20L.

Car manufacturers generally change oil specs for 2 reasons;
1. Fuel economy
2. To meet emissions standards.
Of course there's a little more to it as they have to consider protection and service intervals as well.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2016, 10:17 PM   #12
Binny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post

Car manufacturers generally change oil specs for 2 reasons;
1. Fuel economy
2. To meet emissions standards.
Of course there's a little more to it as they have to consider protection and service intervals as well.
True that. And I think these days the above two are priority over everything else. Economy figures on the label are king. I'd say as long as the engine will last until the end of the warranty they don't care if a higher viscosity protects it better. Whether it lasts until 110k or 300k is not their concern.
Usually its the transmission or electronics gremlins that will put a modern vehicle off the road and uneconomical to repair these days anyway with the expense of DSGs, CVTs etc.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:48 PM   #13
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
True that. And I think these days the above two are priority over everything else. Economy figures on the label are king. I'd say as long as the engine will last until the end of the warranty they don't care if a higher viscosity protects it better. Whether it lasts until 110k or 300k is not their concern.
Usually its the transmission or electronics gremlins that will put a modern vehicle off the road and uneconomical to repair these days anyway with the expense of DSGs, CVTs etc.
That would be a common perception but not necessarily a correct one. Modern, low viscosity oils not only improve fuel consumption but also have to provide better protection against engine wear for longer than older, thicker oils.

The one proviso is that the engine is designed for the oil. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to use a low SAPS diesel oil in an older V8!
Old 06-07-2016, 01:07 AM   #14
ssanjeev
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
The Mondeos have an oil quality monitoring system. It will calculate when to change oil based on running conditions. Mine tells me to service oil at about 20000 km (mostly long trips), which is about the maximum the system seems to allow. As usual information is hard to find, but I think it's called 'intelligent oil monitoring' by Ford. On the MC it is reset by pressing the brake and accelerator to the floor, turning ignition on and following further advice.
I have to admit that this is the first time I'm hearing about this - the owners manual for both the MC & MD AFAIK doesn't mention anything about this. I was on ETIS as well, and that didn't have any information on it either. Are you perhaps referring to the service indicator ?
Old 06-07-2016, 01:54 AM   #15
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanjeev View Post
I have to admit that this is the first time I'm hearing about this - the owners manual for both the MC & MD AFAIK doesn't mention anything about this. I was on ETIS as well, and that didn't have any information on it either. Are you perhaps referring to the service indicator ?

Yes. It's just a service indicator. It was in the mc as well. It's set at 20,000km. There is no sensors monitoring the condition of the oil on these cars or any Ford that I'm aware of.
This user likes this post:
Old 06-07-2016, 01:47 PM   #16
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Yes. It's just a service indicator. It was in the mc as well. It's set at 20,000km. There is no sensors monitoring the condition of the oil on these cars or any Ford that I'm aware of.
Ford's have two systems, an 'intelligent oil monitoring system' and an 'oil monitoring system'. The latter is just time and km based, and is the 'service oil' message. I jumped to the wrong conclusion about the Mondeo.

Here's an American Ford video on the systems:

http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicl...us&sync=syncMy
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #17
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

My dealer uses Caltex Lube. Not sure if it meets FoCo requirements
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2016, 11:42 PM   #18
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
My dealer uses Caltex Lube. Not sure if it meets FoCo requirements

The last place I was at used Caltex too. Caltex's coverage isn't as good as Castrol so they had to buy Castrol for some of the more obscure specs like 5w20 or 0w40. I have no idea if Caltex have an oil to cover the 0w30 Ford spec.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:53 AM   #19
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Caltex sell a limited range in NZ, and I expect it's the same in Australia.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #20
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just picked up my MD (to replace my MC titanium) and on page 27 of the service schedule booklet (Capacities and Specifications) - Part No. MD 19G321 AA print 1, Dec 2014 it still states that 5W-30 oil meeting WSS-M2C913-C is all thats required (now superceeded by WSS-M2C913-D). No mention of a 0W-30 or WSS-M2C950-A.

**EDIT** Further info states that WSS-M2C950-A is not relevant to the 2.0L Diesel that we use in OZ in our Mondeo's (it is for 1.5L Diesel); http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...G1545716&div=f

Hopefully you haven't wasted too much money on the wrong oil! (Did you keep the receipt?)
Old 09-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #21
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting. I couldn't understand why they had changed to a completely different oil when it's still the same engine as the MC.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #22
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My apologies to the OP, it appears by asking most of the oil manufacturers is that they all agree that the spec that is now in use is; WSS-M2C950-A (0W-30).

I am confused by the owners manual still stating 913-C (D).

But I stand corrected!
Old 04-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #23
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
My apologies to the OP, it appears by asking most of the oil manufacturers is that they all agree that the spec that is now in use is; WSS-M2C950-A (0W-30).

I am confused by the owners manual still stating 913-C (D).

But I stand corrected!
They are 2 quite different specs, M2C950-A is a 0W-30 oil whereas the M2C913-x is 5W-30.

Some info on Ford oil specs here: http://www.oilspecifications.org/ford.php

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2016, 11:06 AM   #24
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford now have stock of the correct oil in 0w30 and it's available in a 20 litre drum.
Old 24-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #25
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just purchased a 1L bottle of the Penrite Enviro+ 0W-30 (full synthetic) engine oil as a "top up" if required; http://www.penriteoil.com.au/product..._products=6395