Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2016, 11:39 PM   #31
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Is it a bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I can't comment on your insurance going up. Mine doesn't.

Are you arguing that P1 drivers are just as safe as someone with 10 years experience because everyone else says they are not. They have accidents more often than experienced drivers.
Young drivers are more likely to crash due to irresponsibility, not lack of skill. A parent should be able to accurately judge the responsibility of their child. Any teen that gets in a car and drives like an idiot on roads cause they feel invincible needs a swift smack upside their heads from their parents.

If you have well behaved, responsible children don't go buying them crap unsafe first cars because of some bad eggs. For example this girl I'm seeing was rear ended on the motorway a couple days ago by a middle age asian woman (extremely low risk by insurance standards) in a X5. Stupid lady wasn't paying any attention and got a well deserving mouthing off for it. Anyway, thanks to the fact she was driving a relatively new ('10?) Swift, she was completely uninjured (****ed though. Sally the Silver Suzuki had just been rear ended! ). Instances like this is why it's worth getting a costlier safe car for your child. You can't put a price on their safety.

Dad on the other hand takes this to a whole new level. Refused to buy me any car smaller than a Camry and insisted on atleast side and front airbags

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-01-2016, 11:52 PM   #32
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
This is a massive bit of misinformation.....
Steady on there mate. Young, new drivers are prone to banging cars around a bit - that is common knowledge, not "massive misinformation". This may not necessarily mean a write off (although it can happen), but there are plenty of kerbs, bollards, walls, garage doors, concrete columns and other cars around the place! My point was that a bit of a cheap, roughie car can take a knock here and there without any dramas or extortionately priced comprehensive insurance premiums to deal with.

Quote:
....Trust me I'm a 18 year old myself, and I've been driving since I was 16.....
Given that I have been driving about twice as long as you have been on the planet I think I have a little more experience and have seen a bit more than you have .
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2016, 11:57 PM   #33
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB# View Post
Given that I have been driving about twice as long as you have been on the planet I think I have a little more experience and have seen a bit more than you have .
No doubt about that. But I happen to directly know the exact demographic of people in question here. I'm not comparing driving ability, hell no. You're incredibly safer on the roads than I am!

All I'm saying is teenage drivers aren't all that bad. We don't all go around knocking cars into walls. A few of us do, sure, no doubt about that. But a parent can easily tell if their child falls into the responsible category, or the into a wall/wrapped around a tree category. In the case of the OP, his daughter has a stable job and has saved up $5000. I think she probably falls in the responsible category. In which case I see no reason not to get her a slightly more expensive car that's safer than some early 90s jap box.

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Old 21-01-2016, 11:58 PM   #34
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Young drivers are more likely to crash due to irresponsibility, not lack of skill.
So you get your Ps and your skill level is as good as it's gonna get? You will never develop better skills as a driver.

Think about it....

You're 18... we've all been there... you think you're the greatest thing on wheels but unfortunately young drivers don't have the same skill level or experience.
Old 22-01-2016, 12:00 AM   #35
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

shook hands on $3500.

Given that she cant drive the car for another 6 months, im letting the rego run out, and will pay to get the RWC & fresh 6 months rego to get it back on the road in june. She is over the moon, and no doubt will be sending thousands of photos of her 'cool' new car to her friends tommorow. Some of these friends of hers already have ****** clapped out cars given to them by their parents, but at least my girl will understand what its like to work for, save & have it turn into something nice.

thanks for everyone's opinion and taking the time to post
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 12:04 AM   #36
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
So you get your Ps and your skill level is as good as it's gonna get? You will never develop better skills as a driver.

Think about it....

You're 18... we've all been there... you think you're the greatest thing on wheels but unfortunately young drivers don't have the same skill level or experience.
I never said we're as good as drivers who've been on the road for decades (mind you some middle aged drivers are useless drivers). I just said most of us are not so bad that you have to factor in the "you're going to crash it" aspect when buying a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
shook hands on $3500.

Given that she cant drive the car for another 6 months, im letting the rego run out, and will pay to get the RWC & fresh 6 months rego to get it back on the road in june. She is over the moon, and no doubt will be sending thousands of photos of her 'cool' new car to her friends tommorow. Some of these friends of hers already have ****** clapped out cars given to them by their parents, but at least my girl will understand what its like to work for, save & have it turn into something nice.

thanks for everyone's opinion and taking the time to post
Nice to know it's all been sorted! You're daughter is damn lucky to have that car. Looks pretty mint, can't say I'm not jealous

Old 22-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #37
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

If you want to reduce the running costs consider getting LPG fitted. A mixer system will be well under 2K these days and with the $1000 rebate you might be out of pocket as low as $5-600. AUs' love LPG and will go forever with basic maintenance and a decent set of plug leads.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #38
Matty4
Banana

Are you sure it will pass a RWC without anything to be spent on it?
I'd be keeping the rego paid up.
Having said that, if you're in one of those states that has annual RWC inspections then it probably doesn't matter, but here in Vic, they're not required.

I'd hate to take it off the road just for 6 months and then have to spend hundreds just to get it back on the road. By all means, have a RWC check done and attend to any issues along the way, not in one big hit, along with the cost of the rego and transfer fees etc.

My 2c.
Old 22-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #39
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Young drivers are more likely to crash due to irresponsibility, not lack of skill.
This goes hand in hand. Skill requires experience, and you can't teach experience.
Old 22-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #40
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My eldest daughter is still 8 years from getting her licence, but in addition to key considerations such as safety I will be looking for something that will not fit her and a boy in the back seat.

And I will put my hand up and admit double standards, as I wouldn't have the same concerns if she was a boy (though would prefer he took a girl to the backseat).
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 11:55 AM   #41
Sioso
irregular member

For the past 2+ yrs I have been spending probably 2-3hrs per week on carsales looking for my Son's first car.
Needless to say my wife isn't happy about all the time I waste searching the site, calling her in to look at different makes and models, asking her opinions on what she likes and doesn't like, the pro's and con's of each vehicle I choose.
She seems to get downright pi$$ed sometimes.
I can see where she is coming from though, he is only 4 so we do still have some time up our sleeves.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #42
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
For the past 2+ yrs I have been spending probably 2-3hrs per week on carsales looking for my Son's first car.
Needless to say my wife isn't happy about all the time I waste searching the site, calling her in to look at different makes and models, asking her opinions on what she likes and doesn't like, the pro's and con's of each vehicle I choose.
She seems to get downright pi$$ed sometimes.
I can see where she is coming from though, he is only 4 so we do still have some time up our sleeves.
Same as me. Immy is 7 and I am looking at building her a Street/Strip car. I will look after it until she is old enough. That will be when she is 30
Old 22-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #43
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
Are you sure it will pass a RWC without anything to be spent on it?
I'd be keeping the rego paid up.
Having said that, if you're in one of those states that has annual RWC inspections then it probably doesn't matter, but here in Vic, they're not required.

I'd hate to take it off the road just for 6 months and then have to spend hundreds just to get it back on the road. By all means, have a RWC check done and attend to any issues along the way, not in one big hit, along with the cost of the rego and transfer fees etc.

My 2c.
Yeah its a bit unnverving getting RWC here in town. But, i cant see why it wont pass, and if there is something to be picked on, it would end up cheaper than paying another $450 in rego that will be used sitting in the backyard (due next month)
Old 22-01-2016, 03:00 PM   #44
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
My eldest daughter is still 8 years from getting her licence, but in addition to key considerations such as safety I will be looking for something that will not fit her and a boy in the back seat.

And I will put my hand up and admit double standards, as I wouldn't have the same concerns if she was a boy (though would prefer he took a girl to the backseat).
If you have a son. Get him a fairlane. He'll thank you for it

Old 22-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #45
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think people overthink the safety aspect and needing stability control, ABS etc etc.

Seriously millions of people including myself spend their life driving without any of that and we are still here.

I learned to drive in a 250ci TE Cortina station wagon, then moved on to a 302 XB GS, then an XB GT.

My missus was on her P's and drove a TE S pac 250ci 4 speed manual for the first 4-5 years of driving, then she had an XB GT (our XB GT) then an EL XR8 5 speed.

We all survived and learned how to drive.

Any decent reliable car will be fine, the less belles and whistles to distract young drivers the better.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2016, 04:58 PM   #46
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I think people overthink the safety aspect and needing stability control, ABS etc etc.

Seriously millions of people including myself spend their life driving without any of that and we are still here.

I learned to drive in a 250ci TE Cortina station wagon, then moved on to a 302 XB GS, then an XB GT.

My missus was on her P's and drove a TE S pac 250ci 4 speed manual for the first 4-5 years of driving, then she had an XB GT (our XB GT) then an EL XR8 5 speed.

Any decent reliable car will be fine, the less belles and whistles to distract young drivers the better.
I'm sure people used to think the same way about seat belts, radial tyres and doors (going a long way back there)
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 04:59 PM   #47
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
i pitty the scum below yourself and your childrens
Is this even English?? I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321
Trust me I'm a 18 year old myself, and I've been driving since I was 16. I've never even scraped my car once. Yes I've curbed at low speeds a couple times while parking but that's it.

Buy your daughter a nice car and make sure she's safe on the road. She won't crash it unless she's driving irresponsibly, and I highly doubt any responsible, remotely mature teen would do that. Especially a girl, come on man, they're called boy racers for a reason
Sound like you have your head screwed on the right way, credit to your parents for teaching you the right way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321
My first car was inherited from my mother. She actually bought it when I was 14 thinking "This'll be a good car for him to learn in". I learnt in it and my parents went "You're comfortable in the car, it's yours now". That Windom/ES300 lasted me a good two years until it's transmission failed in traffic and wrote itself off. Got my BA for 1.5k off a close family friend a couple weeks later.

Plus I think it would be a great experience. Having your father buy a car, working away on it in the garage with you helping for a couple years till you become old enough to drive. A little pet project. Then you inherit it as a first car, makes it all that bit more special.
Agree 100% and this is what is happening, her car that she likes is already sitting in the shed, I already have a rebuild motor ready to go in, will go over teh car with a fine tooth comb, and will be registered and driven by myself for a while before being passed on.

If she don't like it, then there is a bus stop down the road.

I remember my parents giving me a similar deal and dad helping me to respray his old car, and rebuild the brakes and suspension to pass on to me, which I was more than happy with.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 05:25 PM   #48
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

My daughter has been driving for a few years now and if I had foresight I wouldn’t buy her a matchbox car.

So as far as I’m concerned the safest car available for my budget would be my goal.

And in my own case I never bought my children cars as I’m a cruel father who allowed them the use of ours while they lived at home and after that they were on their own learning how to survive and pay their way in the world.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2016, 05:26 PM   #49
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Wow, I wished my parents had bought me my first car They did help and have always loaned me money but I've always paid them back.

As for my kids (12 & 6), they'll have to buy their own car. I will help them finding one (if they want me to) and loaning them money if necessary. But I'd want them to appreciate what they have and by having to spend their own money, I believe they will.

Each to their own.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #50
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
I'd hardly quote insurance companies as having their hand on the pulse of their constomers... Their customers wallets maybe. No different to us paying premiums for Euro cars. We have become accustomed to it so they keep charging the premiums. Insurance companines have created (and rather successfully) this notion that young drivers = high risk and bad.

Explain why my insurance has gone up every year even though I've had zero at fault accidents and no infringements against my driving record if its only teens that are high risk?!
I keep buying more expensive cars, and my insurance keeps dropping.

Quote:

I wouldn't say that ABS and TCS and those things are bells and whistles that distract young drivers.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 07:08 PM   #51
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

First car for a young gun should be a crapola. You just know it is going to get knocked around, and or beaten up. Don't do it to your AU. After 3 years of driving is under her belt. Then yes. My first car was full of rust holes, ended up on its roof with a burnt out clutch and bald tyres. Wrote the next 3 off. Anyway, learning to drive is great.

Last edited by blackf6; 22-01-2016 at 07:18 PM.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #52
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My family couldn’t afford to buy me a car so I paid for my first one and because it was my own money I looked after it and treated well as I knew I couldn’t just turn around and easily find the money for another.
Old 22-01-2016, 08:46 PM   #53
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJaVu GT View Post
My first car was full of rust holes, ended up on its roof with a burnt out clutch and bald tyres. Wrote the next 3 off. Anyway, learning to drive is great.
hahaha !!!

Old 22-01-2016, 09:27 PM   #54
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well then she has the option of catching the bus or earn her own money and buy what she wants, pretty simple really no skin off my nose.

But my kids are brought up better than that and I am sure she will be more than grateful and thankful for having a free car to drive to school/study/work/beach etc.
wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
i pitty the scum below yourself and your childrens
read a bit slower this time

Last edited by GasoLane; 22-01-2016 at 09:50 PM.
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #55
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

My first car was a XB p'van I bought off my older brother, I learnt a lot in that car.

To the OP good on you for selling that AU to your daughter, I reckon there will be a lot of green with envy young fellas, when they see her roll round in that.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #56
SYZ
Beaut Ute

Comments now irrelevant. Deal is done. Missed earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
My daughter is ready to get her learners licence in a few months and has saved nearly $5000 on minimum wage for her first car, something she can learn in & drive for a couple years to tafe, job etc.
For her 5 grand, I'd be looking at something like this...

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...2288926/?Cr=84

4 door with hatch back for practicality, 4-speed auto, low kms, well specced interior, reliable maker, low fuel consumption, cheap to insure, nice easy-revving 1.8-litre 4-cylinder, compact size etc.

Personally, I think your AU would be over the top for her needs, and unnecessarily costly on fuel, insurance, and servicing. Dunno... just my guess.

Last edited by SYZ; 22-01-2016 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Updated in accord with earlier post.
SYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2016, 10:43 PM   #57
SYZ
Beaut Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB# View Post
Steady on there mate. Young, new drivers are prone to banging cars around a bit - that is common knowledge, not "massive misinformation". [...]
Each year in Victoria, approximately 57 road users for the 18 to 25 age demographic are killed, versus 29 for the 60 to 69 age demographic.

TAC, 5 Year Average, 2015.
SYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 11:32 PM   #58
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think late 80s early mid/late 90s Fords would be a perfect learners car. My parents bought me a '89 TX5 Ghia some years ago for nearly $5k if I recall correctly. I paid for everything else other than the initial purchase on what I'm sure was a lot less wages these days.

The only real trouble I had was dead batteries and even though my memory escapes me I'm pretty sure that was because I was listening to the sound system without running the car.

To this day, apart from performance it still is best car I have ever owned
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #59
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
Comments now irrelevant. Deal is done. Missed earlier post.

For her 5 grand, I'd be looking at something like this...

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...2288926/?Cr=84

4 door with hatch back for practicality, 4-speed auto, low kms, well specced interior, reliable maker, low fuel consumption, cheap to insure, nice easy-revving 1.8-litre 4-cylinder, compact size etc.
i test drove a 323 the other week to see what they were like, and i couldnt get over how 'fragile' they felt. Overtaking on highway needed a 1km run up, engine revving felt like i was torturing the poor thing, paper thin doors. I dunno, wasnt really impressed

Quote:
Personally, I think your AU would be over the top for her needs, and unnecessarily costly on fuel, insurance, and servicing. Dunno... just my guess.
agree with you there completely. The AU just seemed to be a better buy for the money, but just not the most economical.

She's already busted me trying to swap over my big mouth snorkel & clear repeaters for standard items from my wagon project. I thought she didnt care about that stuff, apparently she does lol
Old 23-01-2016, 06:44 PM   #60
WoodyAU

I think you have done the right thing. I sold my son the courier twin cab I taught him to drive in, as I wanted a single cab ute. As well as knowing they are comfortable with the car, the other big plus is that you know how to maintain the car, and you can show her. Fixing most little problems is simple. The look on my son's face when he told me how a mechanic wanted $150 tho replace a door handle and he bought one for $5 from the wreckers and did it himself is priceless. Not that I'm begrudging the mechanic, but you know what I mean.
WoodyAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: