Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #1
CountP

Default Which 4x4?

I need some advice on choosing a new family vehicle as I tend to be heavily biased.

I intend to replace my wifes trusty BA Falcon XT as it getting a bit old.
I am looking for a NEW diesel 4x4, it has to be a proper 4x4, for trips to Fraser etc so awd is out. I can't believe I am saying this but I can't afford what Ford has on offer. I don't want to spend more than $35k.
My options are:
1. Mitsubishi Challenger currently in runout. Probably auto.
Pro: 5 year new car warranty.
Con: As its the old shape after 5 years I expect the resale value to be shocking but I like a wagon over a ute.
2. Mitsubishi Triton new shape
Pro: 5 year warranty and because its a ute should retain some value.
Con: It's a ute so rides like a ute. At this price I am getting a tarted up commercial vehicle.
3. Nissan Navara new shape
Pro: higher spec than the Triton
Con: only 3 year warranty. I know of at least three mates who have had drama with their Navaras. New shape is a bit of an unknown quantity.

So what have I missed?

I need to make a decision soon before my wife goes out and buys a bloody Great Wall.

Ryan
CountP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-01-2016, 06:36 PM   #2
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Default Re: Which 4x4?

IMHO Challenger.
Edit, have a look at 2015 demos in other vehicles too.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2016, 07:06 PM   #3
goo33

Tunlan Fotond with a genuine Cummins diesel. Under $35K new.
4x4 or 2x4
Manual only.
Pretty sure it has a chassis, like a Defender.

The Navaras come in both a V6 and four. Opinions about the fours seem to vary quite a bit.
goo33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2016, 07:29 PM   #4
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Colorado 7 / MU-X are not too bad and should fit the budget.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2016, 07:38 PM   #5
goo33

Also the SsangYong 4x4s.
Some of them actually use the same BTR 4 speed autos as the pre-2008 Falcons.

Then the Great Wall 4x4s which seem to stand up to reasonably high kms.
Old 20-01-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
CountP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Colorado 7 / MU-X are not too bad and should fit the budget.
4x2 are starting at $36k
4x4 are starting at $38k.
7 seater and 5yr warranty
I should have a closer look.
Thanks
Old 20-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #7
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Low k patrol or Cruiser.
Edit: missed the NEW part of the op

Last edited by Mont5.0; 20-01-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Mont5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2016, 08:52 PM   #8
matmimpez
Starter Motor

my thoughts for what they are worth
the Triton seems the best value at the moment and has inclusions that others have as options. they have a great powertrain warranty on paper (I have not looked into the fine print), and they have good performance and ride. personally I have a hilux which cost me 30k with 100000 on the clock and for a couple of thousand more you could be in a new triton. a mate got one last year a my15 and was above the base model and was 32k drive away and he is super happy with it, only that the resale value suffers for the first few years compared to the Toyotas and nissans
matmimpez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #9
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

OP requires "proper" 4x4. In my eyes IFS front vehicles will get you places, but solid axle front will get you everywhere. Ive had patrols and cruisers in the past, i now daily drive a Navara, i know which i would prefer to do proper 4wding. Obviously everyones idea of 4wding is different.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #10
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0 View Post
OP requires "proper" 4x4. In my eyes IFS front vehicles will get you places, but solid axle front will get you everywhere. Ive had patrols and cruisers in the past, i now daily drive a Navara, i know which i would prefer to do proper 4wding. Obviously everyones idea of 4wding is different.
I'm assuming proper 4x4 as opposed to an awd.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #11
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IFS in modern 4WDs are decent. My IFS/IRS Patrol went straight over a section of track that a solid axle Patrol took 3 attempts at. Make of that what you will. Section of track was an ordinary trail too, nothing special, just steep and slightly rutted. Modern traction control in the front almost works like a front locker.

I had a 2012 triton, was decent. With 2" lift and 33s it was a beast. But with those mods fuel consumption was ruined and power was sapped big time.

Really think about what you want, and what mods you plan to do. It might be better off goin for an older landcruiser, or patrol and spending some coin making it reliable.

Also, for me - diesel is overrated. I don't think I'd own another one. But that's just me and my experience after towing my camper. Modern diesels aren't as reliable as older ones. A few mates also concur with my thoughts, and they own diesels. Again, make of that what you want.
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2016, 10:04 PM   #12
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah it's funny to see things come full circle with diesel. Some Landcruiser buyers are going back to petrol as it's more reliable and cheaper to fix (as well drive nicer).
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2016, 10:30 PM   #13
Windsor220
Now Fordless

The problem with going petrol is the fuel economy and lack of torque.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2016, 10:54 PM   #14
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

The biggest problem with modern diesels is all the extra emissions crap on them mainly the DPF They may supposedly be better for the environment but they have definitely contributed to reliability issues. I'm talking from experience with a GT diesel Golf I owned a few years back (from new) :( Unless you are going to be clocking up some reasonable kms on them on and not just short drives to the shops and back a few times a week or if you're likely to be stuck in bumper to bumper work traffic on a daily basis I would recommend going with petrol as well, they are a lot better on fuel now than they have been in the past, and as others have said diesels are usually a fair bit dearer to service as well so in the long run the expected fuel savings of the diesel will probably be outweighed by this factor :(
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2016, 11:40 PM   #15
CountP

Thanks for the coments
I am not intending to take it for heavy offroading so solid axle or ifs is not really a consideration.
It will do about 1200km a month so it needs to be diesel for the fuel consumption. A petrol 4x4 is just too thirstty.
No towing and besides a/t tyres will remain standard.
I am no longer allowed to modify the family car after I turned one into a race car complete with a roll cage while my wife was still taking the kids to school in it.
4 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2016, 11:57 PM   #16
Windsor220
Now Fordless

You are very limited if you want a new diesel 4x4 for 35k max. I'd pick the Challenger out of the 3 you mentioned but that is 37k run out at the moment. Maybe demos could be an option.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2016, 11:58 PM   #17
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much of the year do you really need a 4WD? The reason I ask is that a lot of them are driving around the town and getting used maybe less than 10% of the time as a 4WD.
Personally I've had a Nissan G60, Hilux with a 253, 2000 Mitsubishi Pajero [ new ], 2001 Pajero and a 2006 100 series Landcruiser.

My advice, hire a 4WD when you need one and save yourself a lot of maintenance and expense.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2016, 11:58 PM   #18
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

If you are planning on doing sand work, what ever you buy, make 100% sure it has low range. Does the challenger have low range?
Old 21-01-2016, 12:06 AM   #19
smally289
growing up is optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
If you are planning on doing sand work, what ever you buy, make 100% sure it has low range. Does the challenger have low range?
Yes it does. New Triton has a bucket load more torque though, 430Nm vs 350 for the Challenger.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 12:48 AM   #20
goo33

Just to lay out the entire field of sub $35,000 diesels:

There is also the Tata Xenon. It seems to be a very simple vehicle intended for agricultural use. They are very popular in South Africa.

Then the Indian Mahindra 4x4. Bit of a following in Oz for that too.

As far as the Isuzu's go, engines are supposed to last 500,000Ks, but I'm yet to see one achieve that. Happy to be proved wrong though. Reco Isuzu diesels run to $10,000.

Diesel engines today aren't what they used to be. LPG conversions being done to diesels. An LPG duel fuel petrol would be cheap to own.

Tritons used to run the legendary 3.2 litre diesel that is still available in the Pajero. That may be the best diesel engine currently available in Oz today. (Hiluxes had problems with injectors that ran to $5000 every 60,000ks. But I'm not looking for an argument about that.)

Japanese built Pajeros were selling for $50,000 new last time I looked. A secondhand 3.2 diesel Pajero would be a solid family truck.
Old 21-01-2016, 02:37 AM   #21
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo33 View Post
Then the Indian Mahindra 4x4. Bit of a following in Oz for that too.
You can't be serious. Surely people aren't stupid enough to buy one of those. I'd take a second hand hilux over a Mahindra pos anyday of the week.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 08:45 AM   #22
goo33

No. I wouldn't touch one.
Question was asked about sub $35K 4x4.
Just laying out the field of all vehicles in that price range..
Old 21-01-2016, 09:05 AM   #23
Ghia8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not sure what the new nissan navara is like, but my 2013 d40 has been great! fuel economy is really good being 2.5ltr diesel, auto.
have taken it off road when i had the 32'' mud terrains and was surprised by it. has low range.
have had 0 issues with it so i'd recommend one for sure.
Old 21-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #24
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountP View Post
Thanks for the coments
I am not intending to take it for heavy offroading so solid axle or ifs is not really a consideration.
It will do about 1200km a month so it needs to be diesel for the fuel consumption. A petrol 4x4 is just too thirstty.
No towing and besides a/t tyres will remain standard.
I am no longer allowed to modify the family car after I turned one into a race car complete with a roll cage while my wife was still taking the kids to school in it.
1200 a month is nothing. would take years to get back the extra dollars. the company i used to work for had a fleet of a few thousand utes and they all went diesel then all went back to petrol, these utes were doing an average of 1000km a week. in saying that i like how diesels drive compared to similar petrol cars (excluding a large petrol/v8/turbo).
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #25
CountP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
Low range and rear diff lock
Old 21-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #26
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo33 View Post
As far as the Isuzu's go, engines are supposed to last 500,000Ks, but I'm yet to see one achieve that. Happy to be proved wrong though.
Im not sure on the newer ones as there not really old enough to have high ks but the older 2.8 isuzu's would do 500 000 no sweat. I had a 91 rodeo that had 550 000ks on the clock and I had fitted a top mount intercooler, upped the boost and fueling and it was great didn't chew a drop of oil. The chassis rusted on that one due to alot of beach work and because it was so good I tracked a 97 model down with 220 000ks to replace it, she just hit 300 000ks so just run in now haha

But from the op's list I would go the challenger
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 12:18 PM   #27
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hard to go past the Challenger for price, though it looks like it would be a bit small inside. for trips away you'd probably need a trailer
MUX is very good for the price and a lot bigger. and the utes respectively
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #28
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
The problem with going petrol is the fuel economy and lack of torque.
No issues with my petrol and torque - 560nm peak and 500nm available from 1600rpm... As for fuel economy, the petrol does use a bit more - but for my application it's not a huge amount.

But i agree with you, for a sub 35k bracket then it makes it that much harder to justify petrol, especially if going a second hand older model petrol 4x4.

For sub 35k, i don't think you could go past a triton really... Quite capable and decent economy.

On the topic of petrol being too expensive to run - I'm guessing the older petrols might be thirsty, but a modern 6 or 8 isn't too bad. My V8 petrol patrol used $20 more fuel (premium vs diesel) doing the same trip as a 3L diesel patrol.
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #29
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MU-X with legendary 4JJ1-TC engine. Needs shocks from the get go for highway use but that isn't a show stopper IMHO. Definitely not the Navara, only a Jeep is more unreliable and that comes from my time at one of the biggest Nissan dealers in the country. Triton good value for money as is Challenger but auto only as they have the same problems as manual Pajeros.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 03:36 PM   #30
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New MUX coming http://2016suv.com/isuzu-mu-x-2016/