Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2016, 05:14 PM   #61
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Is this possible Hyundai Accent Detected at 191km/hr????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Pretty much since the 1990s just about everything on the road will pull 180kmh, its no real surprise.

I think 300 is the new 200 when it comes to fast cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted8
I actually have details on this guy, it tells you his name in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im9JuD-5lc0
I had a workmate who would swear black and blue on numerous occasions that his Ve commmodore ss 6lt had cracked 300kmh even after l told him they were limited 250kmh, just didnt want to hear it.
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #62
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
The povvo pack E series Falcons were limited to 180km/h due to steel tailshaft vibration or something, the XRs/Ghias had alloy ones or something and didnt have the 180km/h limiter apparently.
Actually it was the other way around. The long wheels base V8 Fairlanes, wagons and LTD's of the NA NB NC series had the Aluminium prop shafts and were speed limited to 200km both because of the aluminum shaft and the fact that the digital dash display could only register up to 199km/h. I've had a couple of these Fairlanes and I still have a spare aluminum shaft in the shed. The extra length (noting the V8 is a shorter engine package) together with the longer wheelbase caused whipping of the tail shaft (especially if a hollow steel shaft was used); this was cured in later models with two piece drive shafts.
Old 21-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #63
el andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Actually it was the other way around. The long wheels base V8 Fairlanes, wagons and LTD's of the NA NB NC series had the Aluminium prop shafts and were speed limited to 200km both because of the aluminum shaft and the fact that the digital dash display could only register up to 199km/h. I've had a couple of these Fairlanes and I still have a spare aluminum shaft in the shed. The extra length (noting the V8 is a shorter engine package) together with the longer wheelbase caused whipping of the tail shaft (especially if a hollow steel shaft was used); this was cured in later models with two piece drive shafts.
That's interesting - I always thought my EL XR6 was limited to 180km/h. Checked the owners manual (which covers all short wheelbase 6s) "your vehicle MAY be limited to 180km/h. Contact your authorised Ford dealer for more information." So maybe it's not...

Manual for my BA XR6T says it's limited to 230.
el andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 11:04 PM   #64
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Perhaps it was all the V8's that had the aluminum drive shaft; I know they required endurion coated universal joints, (extremely hard to get here but via ebay common in the US as they were used in Crown Vics and Performance Mustangs and for the aftermarket from Ford SVO/Racing Performance Parts) to stop the steel in the UJ reacting with the Aluminium and seizing. e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-2004-Mu...dWn-MQ&vxp=mtr http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Perform...1UP6yb&vxp=mtr http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-MU...dWoGMK&vxp=mtr http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-10-11-CRO...dVnxXT&vxp=mtr etc Although searching ebay now the supply of endurion coated UJs appears to have dried up even there.

Edit: Found a post of my own http://www.fordforums.com/f538/unive...p-shaft-28046/ that said I got them from Ford and that Neapco in the US had them but they don't seem to have them now.

Last edited by aussiblue; 21-01-2016 at 11:32 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 11:53 PM   #65
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

What the Speedo error at those speeds? Indicated is very different to actual speed!

My old motorbike used to read 235 kms/hr at the speed trap... The actual speed was 212 kms/hr. 23 kms/hr difference at those speeds.

I'm going to say the speedo at those speeds might be a little generous.

Last edited by kypez; 21-01-2016 at 11:59 PM.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 12:15 AM   #66
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

The Digital Dash Fairlanes were spot on to my Satnav as you would expect with sensor and wire technology.
Old 22-01-2016, 12:22 AM   #67
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Yes I second that, spot on speedo. Had mine up to 173kph before the sunroof began to shift from air pressure so that is its top speed

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-01-2016, 12:29 AM   #68
SYZ
Beaut Ute

ADR 18/03 says:

The speedo must not indicate a speed less than the vehicle’s true speed or a speed greater than the vehicle’s true speed by an amount more than 10 percent.

So an indicated speedo reading of 100km/h can be construed as correct by a driver, but at a true speed of 110km/h.

How then was I booked at 108km/h (which was rounded down to 106km/h for radar gun measuring tolerance) in a 100km/h zone?
SYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 01:02 AM   #69
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
ADR 18/03 says:

The speedo must not indicate a speed less than the vehicle’s true speed or a speed greater than the vehicle’s true speed by an amount more than 10 percent.

So an indicated speedo reading of 100km/h can be construed as correct by a driver, but at a true speed of 110km/h.

How then was I booked at 108km/h (which was rounded down to 106km/h for radar gun measuring tolerance) in a 100km/h zone?
Because according to ADR18/03 You were possibly travelling at a speedo indicated 108 +-/< 10%=118.8km/h Which equates to an alleged 108 actual speed
ADR18/03 states a speedo cannot read low and must not read high by more than 10%
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 01:39 AM   #70
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
ADR 18/03 says:

I believe this ADR was updated. Cars cannot read under anymore (showing 100 but actual being 105) but can read over (100 shown 97 actual).

There was a bit of a arguments that older cars that complied with the old ADR were subject to unfair treatment especially in states such as Victoria with their 3% tolerances
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #71
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why buy a Fiesta ST, when an Accent can do this
Old 22-01-2016, 09:54 AM   #72
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I just got out of a brand new Hyundai Imax van that reads over by about 6% at low speed stretching to closer to 9% at highway speed. At GPS 60kph the speedo reads about 64. At 80 speedo reads about 87 and by the time you are doing GPS 110kph the speedo is reading about 118. I'm going to guess that at GPS 160 it's going to indicate well over 170.

... and yes, they will go that fast and more .....um,.... er, ..........apparently.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 10:00 AM   #73
el andrew

On the speed display on the Hume, at an individual ayes 110 by BA and EL both read 108. Both have factory tyre size. My wife previously had an Elantra that was way out - about 6km a think.
el andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #74
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Unlike my old digital dash Fairlanes, my 2 FG's show 2km/hr more at all road speeds. As for my 1963 EH Holden Panel Van; the speedo is just a really rough indicator of road getting more inaccurate as the speed increases and dependent on how recently I have replaced the speedo drive.
Old 22-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #75
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by el andrew View Post
On the speed display on the Hume, at an individual ayes 110 by BA and EL both read 108. Both have factory tyre size. My wife previously had an Elantra that was way out - about 6km a think.
The overhead signs are not very accurate.