Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 12-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up TOP GEAR Drives New Mondeo..

I remember when the launch of a new Mondeo was a knee-tremblingly exciting event. We'd hold the front page, and several others besides. We'd talk about the future of family motoring. Now we don't.

Partly that's because Ford has been teasing us along for far too long now - from the Iosis show car in September 2005, through a conceptised version of the real thing, then Bond's hire car which was itself a little way from actual production trim... sorry guys, just how elevated do you imagine our boredom threshold to be?

But more significantly, the launch of a new Mondeo isn't so newsworthy because cars like that have slipped down the agenda. Rather than have a top-spec Ford or Vauxhall or Peugeot, people now opt either for premium metal - the 3-Series, A4, Lexus IS and the rest, even if that means putting up with a slow and sparse base spec - or swap sectors completely and go for, say, an SUV.

This five-cylinder turbo Mondeo shows they're missing out. I've nothing against the likes of the 3-Series but I really couldn't be putting up with the sloth of the cheap versions when there's this Mondeo for the same money. It's big, well-equipped and fast. So it shows up well on paper. On the road it's even better.

We know a lot about this car already because it's closely related to the Galaxy and S-Max, and indeed to the Mk2 Volvo S80 and V70, and slightly more distantly to the new Freelander. Ford is clever at re-using suspensions and engines, safety systems, aircon units and all sorts of hidden and frankly rather dull gubbins (window winding mechanisms or fuel tanks, anyone?).

The Mondeo has a five-cylinder Volvo turbo engine at the top of the range, and below that a 140bhp four-pot 2.0 diesel.

There's a selection of five and six speed gearboxes, and three bodies, saloon - which will be widely ignored in Britain - hatchback and estate. Since Bill's had the diesel hatch, I'm immersing myself in the big petrol engine and the estate body.

I think the estate is the best looking of the Mondeos, and I've always held the belief that estates, if they've got something proper under the bonnet, aren't just more useful than four-doors but emphatically cooler too.

The Mondeo is the first car designed from scratch since Ford took on Martin Smith as its design chief and adopted his 'Kinetic Design' theme. Martin's a bluff northerner who doesn't usually use such flowery figures of speech, but the car itself explains the theme better than the word kinetic can.

All Fords from now on will have that trapezoid lower grille. The headlamps stretch back to the front wheelarches, there's a big shoulder with a crease beneath it, the side glass kicks up at the back and the rear screen has a characteristic six-sided shape. Smith also loves his bling details - check that egg crate grille, and the chrome on the rear lamps.

The Mondeo is big, too, and about 100kg heavier than the old one. That's the legacy of sharing so much with a big Volvo luxo-barge. When I tried the diesel I did think it was a bit sluggish, especially as Ford's 2.0-litre TDCi has a narrower torque band than the best modern diesels. Before long the Mondeo will have a 2.2-litre twin-turbo diesel option. Dieselists, wait for that if you can.
http://www.topgear.com/drives/B4/A5/...2/01.html?text

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
bman

but its really really ugly?

- 17 x Ford Falcon XT BF - Within my Fleet -
- 4 x Ford Falcon XR6 BF - Within my Fleet -
- 110 x Mitsubishi Express - Within my Fleet -
- 2 x Hyundai iLoad - Within my Fleet -
bman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman
Drugs are bad Mkay! So no news on the ST yet.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On a recent episode of Fifth Gear ( Season 11 Epsiode 6?) they test drove the new Mondeo. It's amazing some of the features they've got on the top of the range version.

They reckon it was a good drive, almost as good as the Focus - I think he said?
Old 16-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman
Haha, bman, you're the only person that I know that thinks the new Mondeo is ugly. I reckon it looks fantastic.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #6
bman

your kidding right?!! please have another look at that thing!! Look at it hard, for a long time, concentrate on its lines then look at a pic of a Lexus or similar - Mondeo is a shocker man!!

- 17 x Ford Falcon XT BF - Within my Fleet -
- 4 x Ford Falcon XR6 BF - Within my Fleet -
- 110 x Mitsubishi Express - Within my Fleet -
- 2 x Hyundai iLoad - Within my Fleet -
bman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

And I bet the AU is a fantastic looking car too?

No offence but I reckon it looks great. Not so much in wagon form but in sedan and hatch its hot
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #8
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

I think you are out numbered here bman :P

Love the look of the new mondeo myself as well
Old 16-06-2007, 08:58 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Agreed, not one thing you could bag the mondeo for, its stunning for the money.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

yep i'm with the lynch mob :P (just kidding) The Mondeo is a fantastic looking car imo... quite classy really although i'm sure the grille will be a little too plasticky (like all Fords) but at least they are consistent.
Old 17-06-2007, 06:03 PM   #11
xr6per

Yep, I think it's a great looking car too. I don't mind the wagon either, I think they all look great. Any report I have read so far say it's a great car to drive, some say that it's equal to or better than a BMW. I know that badge snobs would never agree/admit to it though.

Per
xr6per is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 09:12 PM   #12
Matt RS2000

Not a fan I'm afraid.....

I like the look of the wheels though and they look like they'll be a great car to drive...
Matt RS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post