Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post VFACTS Sept 2018

"New vehicle sales dropped 5.5 percent on the same month in 2017, with a total of 94,711 registrations recorded. Queensland, Tasmania, Western Australia and Victoria all saw increases on last year, while the rest of the nation was down, led by a 4.4 per cent dive in New South Wales.
September follows two months of slow sales, leaving the market 0.9 per cent behind year-to-date, with 881,005 registrations.
Passenger cars continued to slide, recording a 20.1 per cent drop on last year's sales, while light commercial vehicle sales also dropped 2.3 per cent on September 2017. SUVs defied the slump, continuing their strong year with a month 6.2 per cent stronger than the equivalent last year.
Only micro cars and people movers grew in the passenger segment, while medium and large SUV sales actually fell. Although those segments were down, a strong month for small SUVs – 13,263 sales, up 25.7 per cent – covered those losses.

Brands
Toyota maintained its dominance atop the sales charts, recording 17,386 sales for September. That's nine cars more than it managed in the same month last year, or a 0.1 per cent bump. Little wins, right? Its market share was 18.4 per cent, remarkable in such a crowded place.

Hyundai leapfrogged Mazda this month, storming into second place with 8110 sales – down 20 sales, or 0.2 per cent, on last year. Its share was 8.6 per cent. Also jumping Mazda was Mitsubishi, with 7622 sales. That's up 557 cars or 7.9 per cent on last year, with an 8.0 per cent market share.
As for Mazda itself? It endured a tough September, with 7070 sales representing a cut of 3258 sales – 31.5 per cent down on 2017. Nissan rounded out the top five, with a strong 5176 sales, up 1165 cars and 29.1 per cent on last year.
Ford came in sixth with 5084 registrations, down 1761 cars and 25.7 per cent, followed by Kia (5003, up 7.3 per cent), Subaru (4758, up 2.5 per cent), Volkswagen (4694, down 4.2 per cent) and Holden (4651, down 32.4 per cent).
That leaves Honda (4528, up 3.1 per cent) just outside the top 10, followed by Mercedes-Benz (3624), Isuzu Ute (2189), BMW (1859), Suzuki (1792), Audi (1583), Renault (896), Land Rover (753), Volvo Car (682) and Lexus (605).
Skoda fans will be distraught to know the brand has slipped from the top 20, with 520 sales.
Alfa Romeo continued its growth, with 17 more sales representing 17.9 per cent growth on last year. The brand is now 26.8 per cent up on 2017 year-to-date. Jaguar also defied the slump afflicting its luxury rivals, recording 276 sales for 65.3 per cent growth in September.

Both are coming off a low base, but you've gotta start somewhere. We said it last month, but Volvo is also flying on the XC60 and XC40's back, with 682 sales and 116.5 per cent growth last month.
Hyundai is finally seeing some big numbers for the Kona, with its September result pushing double what it managed in March. It also outdid the Mazda CX-3, a stalwart of the compact SUV game
Infiniti slumped after a strong August, with its 51 sales down 26.1 per cent on 2017, while Land Rover continued its rough run. The off-road brand dropped 344 sales on 2017, for a 31.4 per cent loss.
Jeep also battled, although we'd suggest stock of the new Cherokee arriving in dealers should rectify sales." https://www.caradvice.com.au/691800/...eptember-2018/
Old 03-10-2018, 08:17 PM   #2
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VFACTS Sept 2018

Ford EcoSport 115
Ford Escape 352
Ford Everest 477
Ford Falcon 0
Ford Falcon Ute 0
Ford Fiesta 8
Ford Focus 121
Ford Kuga 0
Ford Mondeo 168
Ford Mustang 422
Ford Ranger 4X2 358
Ford Ranger 4X4 2,870
Ford Territory 0
Ford Transit Bus 0
Ford Transit Custom 162
Ford Transit Heavy 31
Old 05-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Awful quiet in here this month.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Bit of colour on the Holden figures:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timandhayley View Post
Stock is very tight on Colorado and Trailblazer, hopefully it frees up over the next couple of months. Fresh Astra hatch supplies (MY19) should start to arrive this month, which will improve the Astra number even further. Holden is currently liquidating the remaining Astra Sedan stocks, which is why the number reported looks healthy, but at $17,990 driveaway with 0.9% finance I can't see them making any money out of it.

First Acadia arrives this month and there will be a heap of cars reported sold for marketing, demo's and evaluation purposes, so don't be surprised if the number looks decent. Holden has been delivering a heap of ZB to Avis over the past few weeks, which is why the number looks good. They're working on further volume in this segment to try and lessen the stock they have sitting around at Prixcar. I imagine the ZB number should be reasonable over the next few months as they try to melt as much plant stock as possible.

They will also pre-register the remaining Barina stock coming in before year end and also the number of Astra Sedans to be sold before year end is enormous, so watch this space....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #5
Venomous1
5.0 means business

The Ranger Mustang company. If they screw up the Ranger formula they are worse off than Holden.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2018, 05:27 PM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

PX II is on run out and PX III is still getting to dealers.

I just wish they'd try to sell more 2WD Rangers...
Old 05-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #7
Venomous1
5.0 means business

A big push for Focus,Fiesta,Mondeo would be smart those are great cars just not getting the attention they need.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2018, 06:49 PM   #8
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
PX II is on run out and PX III is still getting to dealers.

I just wish they'd try to sell more 2WD Rangers...
I just don't get it and yes we forum members are the greatest business managers but having bought two vans in the last year I can see a very easy fix for Transit Custom as well.
You have 2 pages of dealer supplied accessories for a manual-only Renault Trafic and staff experienced in their commercial vehicles. I know Ford doesn't want vehicle complexity of build but these are mostly dealer fitted options all set out and included in company brochures. You don't have to replicate the phone book sized model and option list of the UK but you could at least offer a crewvan, more options that don't hurt ADR compliance issues.
Transit Custom is a very good van, has a proper smooth auto, drives very well and should outsell everything apart form the Hiace which will one day go when safety criteria finally deems it unacceptable in overseas Asian markets ending its availability here as well...with maybe the Euro Proace offered here finally.
The MY18.5 update Transit Custom has a great suite of safety tech but its a few grand too much overall so does Ford Oz want to start selling 500+ units or not. I know if I was the product manager I'd actually want my CV to show I grew it's sales to top of the tree....end of rant.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #9
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous1 View Post
A big push for Focus,Fiesta,Mondeo would be smart those are great cars just not getting the attention they need.
Fiesta-non left virtually and model no longer for sale
Focus-on run out low stock new model Nov
Mondeo-Its not an SUV?
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #10
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The Ranger Mustang company. If they screw up the Ranger formula they are worse off than Holden.
As opposed to the falcon car company for decades... They seemed to transition ok from that so perhaps a little more faith from the so called fans.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:48 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

Everest is consistently selling around 450+ each month. Many people compare it to prado and then call it a failure, however prado is a long established brand.

Everest is a new model. It didn't replace or supercede anything. If you compare it to other new models like fortuner and trailblazer etc, it actually sells quite similar.

At the end of the day, sales volume doesn't matter as much as making money. I can't say what volumes Ford expect to sell but with many of the sales being the higher priced models I'd say they are doing ok.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:09 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
I just don't get it and yes we forum members are the greatest business managers but having bought two vans in the last year I can see a very easy fix for Transit Custom as well.
You have 2 pages of dealer supplied accessories for a manual-only Renault Trafic and staff experienced in their commercial vehicles. I know Ford doesn't want vehicle complexity of build but these are mostly dealer fitted options all set out and included in company brochures. You don't have to replicate the phone book sized model and option list of the UK but you could at least offer a crewvan, more options that don't hurt ADR compliance issues.
Transit Custom is a very good van, has a proper smooth auto, drives very well and should outsell everything apart form the Hiace which will one day go when safety criteria finally deems it unacceptable in overseas Asian markets ending its availability here as well...with maybe the Euro Proace offered here finally.
The MY18.5 update Transit Custom has a great suite of safety tech but its a few grand too much overall so does Ford Oz want to start selling 500+ units or not. I know if I was the product manager I'd actually want my CV to show I grew it's sales to top of the tree....end of rant.
With respect, I think that your suggestions are not backed up by real world sales.

September sales of Vans less than 2.5 tonnes
1. VW Caddy.....................148
2. Renault Kangoo...............92
3. Citroen Belligno...............54

September sales of Vans over 2.5 tonnes
1. Toyota Hiace.................581
2. Hyundai iLoad...............334
3. VW Transporter.............199

We know that Transit Custom was 168 sales last month
so where do you think Renault Traffic landed with its
long list of options?

I'm currently drivng a diesel Kangoo van, my bosses idea of a low cost vehicle,
excellent fuel economy but the service costs would choke a horse..
An example, the 1.5 diesel requires a timing belt change at 90,000 km.

Last edited by jpd80; 05-10-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #13
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
With respect, I think that your suggestions are not backed up by real world sales.

September sales of Vans less than 2.5 tonnes
1. VW Caddy.....................148
2. Renault Kangoo...............92
3. Citroen Belligno...............54

September sales of Vans over 2.5 tonnes
1. Toyota Hiace.................581
2. Hyundai iLoad...............334
3. VW Transporter.............199

We know that Transit Custom was 168 sales last month
so where do you think Renault Traffic landed with its
long list of options?

I'm currently drivng a diesel Kangoo van, my bosses idea of a low cost vehicle,
excellent fuel economy but the service costs would choke a horse..
An example, the 1.5 diesel requires a timing belt change at 90,000 km.
OK my 500+ number was more out of frustration...Hiace has been doing 600+ until the last few months...i'm staggered it does this as they are not even cheap now. There has been a drop in sales of the Trafic which as you know is manual-only and in very short supply atm, it's been the 3rd best seller all year. The Transit Custom, which has only now overtaken the Trafic had a series of great fleet deal go through in the last 60 days....Brighton Ford alone as been delivering over 20 vans to one customer. And remember in this market its a 60/40 split auto/manual.
Should add my Transit Custom is needing rear discs before 30,000km at $1000 dealer quote. I got triple that in our T5 fronts and it towed very heavy loads which the Custom doesn't need to do.
Fuel and interest rates and going to have a big effect in the next 6 months...even if it's psychological initially.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 06-10-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #14
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The first set of graphical statistics have been uploaded to the Portal now.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2018, 01:58 PM   #15
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Ford EcoSport 115
Ford Escape 352
Ford Everest 477
Ford Falcon 0
Ford Falcon Ute 0
Ford Fiesta 8
Ford Focus 121
Ford Kuga 0
Ford Mondeo 168
Ford Mustang 422
Ford Ranger 4X2 358
Ford Ranger 4X4 2,870
Ford Territory 0
Ford Transit Bus 0
Ford Transit Custom 162
Ford Transit Heavy 31

Where are the figures for the Holden badged models?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #16
Trendseeker

Is the chart for the Total Monthly Sales for 2010 to 2018 correct?

The Total Monthly Sales chart for the period 1999 to 2018 shows Mazda overtaking Ford’s sales but the chart for the period from 2010 to 2018 shows Ford’s sales remaining higher than Mazda for the entire time. I can see that the scale on the Y-axis is different, which brings the lines closer, but I can’t see how the sales for Ford can remain higher. The bar chart below also shows the higher figures for Mazda from 2014. Am I misreading it?

Ps. I appreciate all the effort that goes into producing the charts. It’s interesting reading.

Last edited by Trendseeker; 06-10-2018 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Added thanks, just asking, not nitpicking
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2018, 06:17 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Where are the figures for the Holden badged models?
Colorado.........1,318
Commodore.......672
Astra..............1,049

Holden's total sales for September was 4,651, the above represents 3,039 of that..

Anyone have the rest like, Spark, Barina, Equinox, Trax, Captiva?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #18
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker
Is the chart for the Total Monthly Sales for 2010 to 2018 correct?

The Total Monthly Sales chart for the period 1999 to 2018 shows Mazda overtaking Ford’s sales but the chart for the period from 2010 to 2018 shows Ford’s sales remaining higher than Mazda for the entire time. I can see that the scale on the Y-axis is different, which brings the lines closer, but I can’t see how the sales for Ford can remain higher. The bar chart below also shows the higher figures for Mazda from 2014. Am I misreading it?

Ps. I appreciate all the effort that goes into producing the charts. It’s interesting reading.
Good pick-up. An error that has been in the formula since I added that chart meant that it was reading from the beginning of the time series (i.e. Jan 99) rather than from June 2010. Fixed for this month.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #19
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

The 3rd Quarter Segment analysis is also uploaded now.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #20
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

The 3rd Quarter Supplementary Stats are also now uploaded to the portal.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 10-10-2018, 07:39 AM   #21
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
These are the only vehicles keeping Ford together in this country(Mustang to a lesser extent)Without them,as you alluded too,they would be in dire straits.People bang on about( and also the negativity surrounding it) Commodore,er,Opel But it is sitting around the 600 odd sales a month(starting to see a few around now) Mondeo is really a flop compared to the ZB with it’s monthly sales tally.( both are really very good vehicles) But,SUV sales have really put paid to sedan sales in a way.Cheefs
hackney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #22
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
These are the only vehicles keeping Ford together in this country(Mustang to a lesser extent)Without them,as you alluded too,they would be in dire straits.People bang on about( and also the negativity surrounding it) Commodore,er,Opel But it is sitting around the 600 odd sales a month(starting to see a few around now) Mondeo is really a flop compared to the ZB with it’s monthly sales tally.( both are really very good vehicles) But,SUV sales have really put paid to sedan sales in a way.Cheefs
Lets see how Endura goes - Ford have been missing in this segment for 2 years.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #23
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Lets see how Endura goes - Ford have been missing in this segment for 2 years.
Will be interesting.Thought Everest would do a lot better than it has.Toyota have pretty much got that segment tied up.Cheers
Old 10-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #24
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Will be interesting.Thought Everest would do a lot better than it has.Toyota have pretty much got that segment tied up.Cheers
IMO Everest has done better than I thought against Prado. they did force Toyota to drop its prices too.
but who would have though Ranger could have achieved what it has against Hilux.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #25
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
IMO Everest has done better than I thought against Prado. they did force Toyota to drop its prices too.
but who would have though Ranger could have achieved what it has against Hilux.
Really do not think Ranger will ever eclipse Hilux,in fact Ranger dropped in sales.I know people are saying “ah but people are waiting on the new update.”Yes,but it’s a Toyota they are up against..Ranger has a better cab,no argument there,better tech.Toyota buyers are a pretty loyal lot though.Cheers
Old 10-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #26
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Really do not think Ranger will ever eclipse Hilux,in fact Ranger dropped in sales.I know people are saying “ah but people are waiting on the new update.”Yes,but it’s a Toyota they are up against..Ranger has a better cab,no argument there,better tech.Toyota buyers are a pretty loyal lot though.Cheers
Ranger falls short in 2 wheel drive sales. It's 4 wheel drive versions regularly outsell hilux 4 wheel drive.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #27
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Ranger falls short in 2 wheel drive sales. It's 4 wheel drive versions regularly outsell hilux 4 wheel drive.
Yes it does,think last month or perhaps August though Hilux outsold Ranger in both segments.And really you have to take both segments into account,after all it is the same vehicle,except for the configuration.Cheers.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #28
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe current Ranger 4x2 has the 2.2 only
Ranger with the 2.2 isn't that great IMO, but I haven't driven a newish 4x2 Hilux to compare.

give it the new 2.0 TT and that could change IMO
Old 10-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #29
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Dont think it would happen these days but Id really wish they would build a 6 seater ranger.

While the kids are little it would be awesome, then I can look at ****ing off this Hilux!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2018, 07:57 PM   #30
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
People bang on about( and also the negativity surrounding it) Commodore,er,Opel But it is sitting around the 600 odd sales a month(starting to see a few around now) Mondeo is really a flop compared to the ZB with it’s monthly sales tally.
Difference is, Holden have poured plenty of money into re-engineering and marketing the ZB, so the sales results are not returning on that investment.

Ford sell 100 - 170 Mondeo's per month with NO investment into local engineering or marketing. Ford spend that money on vehicle segments that people want, Ranger, Mustang and Everest.

Word has it that ZB Commodore production/imports have ceased until the new year such is the excess of unsold stock.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: