Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default Evaluate my IRS shock mounts

Sorry for infesting your lovely forum lately, but i have another query. I did a search and found pics of someone eles shock mounts but mine look different. It's an AU2 Ghia with 248k on it. Getting a metalic 'clanging' noise especially on low to moderate speed turning, inparticularly u-turns. Also a horrendous 'BANG' thud vibrating the whole boot on harsh bumps, and the back end will kick a tiny bit on constant highway speed throttle over undulations. Trying to work out if these shock mounts are causing the clanging/harsh banging suspension characteristics.. The rear left is rather high, and on an angle. The noise 'seems' to be coming from the RL. Apologies for the angle of the RR photo, carpet was glued lol. This may imply that the RR has been done and the RL hasn't. Thoughts?

REAR LEFT:

-
-
REAR RIGHT: (couldn't get the RR carpet off, looks to be GLUED??)

Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Evaluate my IRS shock mounts

just went out and looked at the xr , Brrrrr cold..... my rubber bush/s looks to be a similar shape to yours allthough i`m not getting any banging, evil thought leave the offending split rear seat down from the noisey side and cover loose and get the missus to take you for a spin over some humps or something so you can watch/listen fondle the top shock mount .
ps my s2 carpet on the towers was`nt glued just had the pushin mushroom clips.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

thanks Mik, good suggestion.

Outcome: my lord. It is the RL one, it's banging like a .... ok won't say that one, it's doing it badly. I'm editing a poxy video i took with a still camera, will post a link a bit later. Unsure if it's being caused by the mount or something else underneath which i haven't been able to see.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
b-juggles

They all look original. After 248k I would suggest they would be shagged. The symptoms you described also sound like they are worn.

I changed mine recently. Massive difference.
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

is it best to do both? depends what it costs. What did yours cost including labour b-juggles? or did you do them yourself?
Old 12-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are about 90 trade per side, about a two hour job. Peel off the rubber to see if they are stuffed or not. Failing that you can try putting in a steel washer under the top nut and seeing how you go.
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Old 12-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your welcome Proffessor , wow it is making a racket you`ll be glad to get that fixed.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #9
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

The rear shock mounts are still available and were a problem on AU's
R/H AU2 5T120 B and L/H AU2 5T121 B both cost $117.50 each.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 12:53 AM   #10
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

cheers papa smurf. What do we do when Ford run out of spares? haha

Was it just the IRS models affected or live axle AU's too?
Old 13-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

NO, mainly the IRS. We used to sell HEAPS of them. They were a problem from when they were new and quite a few were replaced under warranty.
I would say that Ford has a few of these.
Old 13-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
Jimmyd
Banned

Definately soulds like rear upper mounts - check the Au rear irs strut tops for details.

Also check up (How to) AU - IRS Shock Absorber Upper Mount Replacement for a well documented how to.

Cheers
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

mechanic claims they're no longer available ???

"we've never done one before"

Just rang Bayford, 'yep, in stock'.

dear god. what have i done.

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 14-06-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 14-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #14
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
mechanic claims they're no longer available ???

"we've never done one before"

Just rang Bayford, 'yep, in stock'.

dear god. what have i done.
Only ever available from Ford too.

Does the Ghia have an LSD by any chance?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Only ever available from Ford too.

Does the Ghia have an LSD by any chance?
i believe so, why's that?
Old 14-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
i believe so, why's that?
Because your symptoms sound like not only do you have a shot mount but also diff chatter, that's the knocking/clanging noise at low speeds while turning.

Easy fix for that though with a diff oil change. Penrite Limslip 85w-140 diff oil (from memory those are the specs) and Penrite LSD additive (basically the same as the Ford additive but $15 not $105) will sort that out for you.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #17
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Because your symptoms sound like not only do you have a shot mount but also diff chatter, that's the knocking/clanging noise at low speeds while turning.

Easy fix for that though with a diff oil change. Penrite Limslip 85w-140 diff oil (from memory those are the specs) and Penrite LSD additive (basically the same as the Ford additive but $15 not $105) will sort that out for you.
i'm pretty sure it's all down to the mounts, including the clanging while cornering, but we'll see after it's fixed. I've given the mechanic the part numbers and now magically they are available. Won't be fixed until tomorrow though. Thanks for the oil details, i'll get that changed soon enough either way.
Old 15-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #18
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Tell the mechanic to put a thick spacer washer under the top nut or you'll still have a rattling noise. This is because the body of the new mount is not as thick as the originals and the nut on top runs out of thread before its tight
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

hang on, so the genuine replacement part is not the same as the genuine factory part??
Old 15-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #20
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
hang on, so the genuine replacement part is not the same as the genuine factory part??
Correct! Don't ask me why buy they changed it

As stated, the height of the body that the shock shaft goes thru is less than the originals. Of course, if yours have been changed already they will be the same as the newies. But I notice in the pic there is no spacer washer under the nut so I would say that's an original

In a T3, these have been known to fail in less than 80,000 klms. have seen cars driving along the freeway with the rear wheel bouncing so much its actually lifting off the road. Funny thing is you don't feel it in the car
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

OWN THE ROAD
Old 15-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #21
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342
Correct! Don't ask me why buy they changed it

As stated, the height of the body that the shock shaft goes thru is less than the originals. Of course, if yours have been changed already they will be the same as the newies. But I notice in the pic there is no spacer washer under the nut so I would say that's an original

In a T3, these have been known to fail in less than 80,000 klms. have seen cars driving along the freeway with the rear wheel bouncing so much its actually lifting off the road. Funny thing is you don't feel it in the car
haha that last line you wrote was the catalyst for getting this part of the car fixed before other areas. And these things were not recalled? Pretty disgusting. I just called the mechanic and said 'i'll need to get some washers put under the mounting nut as the ...." "yeah already done it". Good stuff! I was a little apprehensive as he said this was his first IRS shock mount replacement ever and he's a pretty respectable mechanic who's been in business for decades, and builds weekend racers. Maybe i'm the only non-live axle AU owner in the area.

Proof's in the pudding, pick it up later tonight.
Old 15-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #22
SLO247
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a real quiet rattle from the rear of mine.

I might try some washers under the nuts.

Can I just undo the nut, install a washer and then return the nut? I'm hoping I can with it all in the car, with the weight of the car compressing it all?

Otherwise it can wait, don't feel like pulling them out...
SLO247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #23
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

All fixed, rear is all but silent now. Still gotta tackle the fronts. Pretty sure it's a rack issue. Thanks for all the help, especially Papa Smurf for the part number.
Old 16-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #24
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
All fixed, rear is all but silent now. Still gotta tackle the fronts. Pretty sure it's a rack issue. Thanks for all the help, especially Papa Smurf for the part number.
YW.
Old 16-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #25
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Good to see all is repaired with the IRS mounts - as mentioned pretty common, if I recall correctly Ford had got the mount revised due to many earlier failures not that the revision did much better LOL......

Knocky noise's at the front ? could be ball joint ? or knowing my ball joints are fine I am replacing the rack ends next week for I feel/hear knocky noise's whilst parking turning full lock etc so thats my take on the situation hopefully I'm right and know end of next week.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #26
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO247
I have a real quiet rattle from the rear of mine.

I might try some washers under the nuts.

Can I just undo the nut, install a washer and then return the nut? I'm hoping I can with it all in the car, with the weight of the car compressing it all?

Otherwise it can wait, don't feel like pulling them out...
That will only be a fix if the mounts have been replaced. Expose the top of the shock like in the pic above, then rock the car to see if there is play there OR get someone to drive while you sit in the back with the rear seat down and watch/listen whats going on. You'll soon know if thats the problem. If the whole top of the mount is flogging around the mount is stuffed.

It usually takes a very torquey rattle gun to get those nuts off as the shaft wants to spin. Good luck trying to hold the shaft with a shifter while you try to loosen the nut - not much room to work there - but yes you could do it on car

OWN THE ROAD
Old 16-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #27
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
Good to see all is repaired with the IRS mounts - as mentioned pretty common, if I recall correctly Ford had got the mount revised due to many earlier failures not that the revision did much better LOL......

Knocky noise's at the front ? could be ball joint ? or knowing my ball joints are fine I am replacing the rack ends next week for I feel/hear knocky noise's whilst parking turning full lock etc so thats my take on the situation hopefully I'm right and know end of next week.
yeah the knock happens when parking with lots of lock, and when turning into a driveway, or round a sharp bend, or basically anywhere haha. It's a horrible clang. Booked in with Pedders Sat week to have a look. Might be the front mounts?

Thanks again.
Old 16-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #28
SLO247
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342
That will only be a fix if the mounts have been replaced. Expose the top of the shock like in the pic above, then rock the car to see if there is play there OR get someone to drive while you sit in the back with the rear seat down and watch/listen whats going on. You'll soon know if thats the problem. If the whole top of the mount is flogging around the mount is stuffed.

It usually takes a very torquey rattle gun to get those nuts off as the shaft wants to spin. Good luck trying to hold the shaft with a shifter while you try to loosen the nut - not much room to work there - but yes you could do it on car
I believe they have been replaced, its more of a light rattle than a clunk or knock. I have had a look at them a few months ago, visually looked ok and had no play. I will have another look to make sure, maybe do the road test.

I was more asking though if the cars weight will be sufficient to hold the springs compressed though? I don't want to undo the nut and the spring opens up and it all comes apart....
Old 19-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #29
stoodoo
Falcon R.I.P. 1960 - 2016

Just on the rear upper mounts. After changing my shocks and springs, I needed to add a few washers underneath the top nut, due to similar knocking noise. Though I never replaced the upper shock mounts, as they still looked like new. Hmmm......
stoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #30
SLO247
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What size washers do I need to fit? I'm very sick of the rattle now. The mounts are perfect.