Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 04-09-2006, 12:08 PM   #31
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Teki alot depends on how you launch the car. For example a WRX won't do 0-100 in the 5seconds its advertises as unless you do a 5k RPM dump and if you own the car you won't be going that.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #32
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default engine

exactly right pie.

But yes, the gti pug is a very quick little car, im not going to be a toss and say it was close... but just 3rd gear, he wasnt pulling away at all, and we were even (whilst i was behind)

only thing is.... it only costs a few more g to get the 180... you would have to be silly not to.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #33
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
Teki alot depends on how you launch the car. For example a WRX won't do 0-100 in the 5seconds its advertises as unless you do a 5k RPM dump and if you own the car you won't be going that.
I got mates who own em. Youre exactly right, thye are too scared to launch them
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 12:51 PM   #34
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

i dont think they should be too concerned about their gearboxes blowing up. just tell them not to sidestep the clutch when revving too 5,000 rpm.

Most people with rexies i have been in dial up about 4k and give it a nice quick slip and as they start slipping it they feed full throttle into it so that it doesnt bog down.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 04-09-2006, 12:51 PM   #35
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
I got mates who own em. Youre exactly right, thye are too scared to launch them
Which really confuses me. Why have a car and then be scared of driving it properly? I mean ok, if its mega ultra fast then sure, like a street legal 8 sec drag car on street slicks... I'd be a bit afraid of that too... but launching a WRX... eh.

There was this guy where I went to school with a 2001 WRX with exhaust, intake and a front-mount cooler that got his butt handed to him by a bone stock AUII XR6. It was pretty amusing...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #36
lupin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Which really confuses me. Why have a car and then be scared of driving it properly? I mean ok, if its mega ultra fast then sure, like a street legal 8 sec drag car on street slicks... I'd be a bit afraid of that too... but launching a WRX... eh.
There is no need to "launch" them, once they are moving they will take on almost anything. If somone take me on and beats me then I know they have a quick car.

Its when they take me on and you come from 3 car lengths behind to wipe the floor with them, thats when you get a laugh.

And you dont buy a WRX to "launch" in the 1st place, you buy them for the twisty bits of road.

White WRX owner
lupin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 02:58 PM   #37
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

I have been in a few wrx's (including 2dr japspec sti, FASTTT) they are all quick. But havent had the chance in being in one going through a nice set of twisties.

I was having some fun against a mate of mine in his modified 2004 hatch wrx. And i handed him his *** through corners. His car was understeering like a pig. But it goes like a raped ape on a straight piece of road.

Loads of fun :
Old 04-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #38
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
I understand that, but even then, I don't see how a 2.0L car pumping 100kW @ 6000rpm and 190Nm @ 4100rpm whilst weighing in the SAME as the Fiesta, couldn't beat it... good launch or not. Rolling Start should also show the 206 GTI to beat the Fiesta

And Mitch - I'd check the stats! I believe the Polo GTI is only JUST slower then a 206 GTI. I believe they recorded a 7.9s, and 7.2 for the GTi180. Sure, the Polo GTI gets 8.2s... but as you said, once modded, that figure could be in the low 7s :P

*EDIT* OH, but that doesn't mean I like the 206 GTi - I'd rather a Polo GTI anyday :

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 03:52 AM   #39
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

hahah teki of course you dont like the 206... its your main competition,

Polo just seems more refined than 206 and clio. With some big balls up its sleeve when it needs them.

Funky styling, good equipment levels. Yummi

Loads of fun :
Old 05-09-2006, 01:36 PM   #40
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
I understand that, but even then, I don't see how a 2.0L car pumping 100kW @ 6000rpm and 190Nm @ 4100rpm whilst weighing in the SAME as the Fiesta, couldn't beat it... good launch or not. Rolling Start should also show the 206 GTI to beat the Fiesta
Gears? Inferior chassis? Just because a car is more powerful doesn't mean it will be genuinely faster.

:
Old 05-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #41
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupin
There is no need to "launch" them, once they are moving they will take on almost anything. If somone take me on and beats me then I know they have a quick car.

Its when they take me on and you come from 3 car lengths behind to wipe the floor with them, thats when you get a laugh.

And you dont buy a WRX to "launch" in the 1st place, you buy them for the twisty bits of road.
Well of the two WRXs I've experienced, an 01 WRX and 02 STi bug-eye, and they're not exactly the most exciting machines around corners... very, very, very understeery. They're not bad in a straight line, but then again, in-gear acceleration one of those against an XR6 Turbo is really unfair for the WRX. In a race like that taking advantage of their ability to out-launch most things would be ideal...

:
Old 05-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #42
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Gears? Inferior chassis? Just because a car is more powerful doesn't mean it will be genuinely faster.
Obviously. But I've been in my cousin's bf's 206 GTI. They aren't inferior to the Fiesta; Gearbox, performance, handling and steering are all better. Only the cramped driver's footwell is an issue.

Their gearing is not bad enough, that a 1.6L can stay lineball with it

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post