Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 20-06-2006, 11:31 PM   #1
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Bringing your own oil...

Has anyone tried bringing-in your own oil when you service the car at a Ford? did they work out a deal and charge you a bit cheaper for it?

Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 11:34 PM   #2
Free347

If I wanted I could request a particular oil be used but never supply my own... voids service guarantee/warranty and they want nothing to do with it.
Free347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 01:22 AM   #3
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I took my own oil for the 2 services I had with my Fiesta - they were fine with it... as I took the recommended oil as mentioned in the Owner's Manual... as opposed to the Castrol GTX2 they wanted to use!

They also deducted a little from the bill as I supplied my own. The invoice even said "Customer supplied own recommended oil"

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 02:15 AM   #4
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

I'm a little shocked that Ford would simply put in GTX2 instead of the recommended type.
Old 21-06-2006, 02:18 AM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLeigh
I'm a little shocked that Ford would simply put in GTX2 instead of the recommended type.
My local dealer explained that the oil asked for in the Manual was for the european conditions of snow and cold weather.... pffffft yea sure - cost cutting is more like it

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 21-06-2006, 09:15 AM   #6
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just took my Fez in for it's 3000km "complimentary" service yesterday and was surprised to find out that they didn't even change the oil, so what was the point of me driving around for the past 2 months looking at a Valvoline oil sticker stuck on the windscreen stating that the next oil change was due at 3000km?,........oh and they also forgot to stamp the book, had to go back again and get that done.........thats the last time Ford will ever see my car for any servicing work......I just wanted to get the 3000km one out of the way.....from now on it's off to my brother-in-law, he's been an A grade mechanic for the past 30 odd years and an absolute perfectionist, I will now have the peace of mind that the job is actually getting done properly, and yes I will be providing my own oil.........."Mobil 1",...... not Fords "she'll be right mate GTX2 blend!!"
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The first oil change for most (all?) new Fords is 15000km! Most other manufacturers are the same now too.
Old 21-06-2006, 05:58 PM   #8
Veilspade
Im so ronry

The 3000km service is a basic inspection of the car not a service (oil change and such) it dosnt need it.

European conditions differ from AU so he is right by saying that the oil is diffrent, diffrent viscosity for diffrent conditions, frankly if they put oil in my car for the wrong conditions id be more worried

Cheers
Old 21-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #9
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
I took my own oil for the 2 services I had with my Fiesta - they were fine with it... as I took the recommended oil as mentioned in the Owner's Manual... as opposed to the Castrol GTX2 they wanted to use!

They also deducted a little from the bill as I supplied my own. The invoice even said "Customer supplied own recommended oil"
Did u get to see them adding the oil into the car? (are we allowed to?) Cos when I take my Fez for a service I really wanna make sure they're adding-in the oil I'm bringing.
Old 21-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #10
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
Did u get to see them adding the oil into the car? (are we allowed to?) Cos when I take my Fez for a service I really wanna make sure they're adding-in the oil I'm bringing.
They give me the left over... and then check the dipstick! The synthetic oil is much lighter looking then the GTX2 stuff.

True Veilspade, the Aussie conditions after different - one more reason we should be putting the RECOMMENDED oil for the engine to perform at it's optimum performance. I'd also rather believe the germans in the manual.... then the aussie guy standing behind the counter at the local service dept

Old 21-06-2006, 07:44 PM   #11
Veilspade
Im so ronry

But the germans recommend oil for GERMAN conditions, hey I have used the same brand oil for ages, pretty much in every car I have had, none of them have been any type of performance car, so it suits the use and conditions in which I drive the car in
Old 21-06-2006, 07:49 PM   #12
joshf2
striped

Quote:
True Veilspade, the Aussie conditions after different - one more reason we should be putting the RECOMMENDED oil for the engine to perform at it's optimum performance. I'd also rather believe the germans in the manual.... then the aussie guy standing behind the counter at the local service dept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Oil Bible
The first number (the "5" in 5w30) is only a relative number which basically indicates how easily it will allow an engine to "turn over" at low temperatures. It is NOT a viscosity reference. In other words, a
10w30 is NOT a 10 weight oil in cold temperatures and a 30 weight oil in warm temperatures.
If a 10w30 was a 30 weight oil at 100 degrees C and a 10 weight oil at cold temperatures, that would mean it "thinned out" as the temperature dropped. That just doesn't make any sense considering what we know about liquids. It just doesn't happen like that.
The fact is that a 5w30 motor oil is thicker in cold temperatures than in warm temperatures. However, a 5w30 motor oil will be thinner than a 10w30 motor oil when subjected to the same low temperature conditions - because the "W" number is lower. This is an indication of better cold weather performance.
In other words, a 5w30 flows better in cold weather than a 10w30 motor oil will.
hope thats not too complicated for some of you kids

so the fact is, that unless you live in at thredbo, theres no real difference in putting 5w30 (which is what the manual recommends) and, say, a 10w30 oil. in fact, the 10w30 would more likely be better as it is thicker when cold, providing more protection at start-up.
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #13
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys look at the manual closly. It says 10w30 is fine to use and the only difference is that 10w30 isn't recommened for temperature under -30c so for 99% of the world it doesn't matter which one u use.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 08:20 PM   #14
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeost24
The first oil change for most (all?) new Fords is 15000km! Most other manufacturers are the same now too.
All true....unfortunately it's also way too long between oil changes.
Any "good" motor mechanic worth his salt will pretty much tell you to ignore the "fairytale story book" (aka: Service Manual), and that the oil should ultimately be changed around every 5000km if you want to keep your car in tip top shape, "any car that is, not just a Ford".........15000km between oil changes is leaving you open to untimely engine wear and possible failure, I know that I would much rather pay $20 for an oil filter and say $40 for a few litres of good quality motor oil thereby having the peace of mind that I was protecting my investment by providing the best possible protection from the time the vehicle leaves the showroom floor. I cannot for the life of me understand how people cough up $20,000 for any car, (which lets bear in mind is, as we all know, the cheaper end of the motor vehicle price scale), to then only start "Skimping" on the necessary fundamentals of vehicle ownership.
Old 21-06-2006, 09:06 PM   #15
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Isn't castrol something like 20W60? I remember it was something ridiculous and not even on the recommended list...

Old 21-06-2006, 09:14 PM   #16
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GTX2 = 20W-50
GTX3 = 15W-40
Magnatec = 10W-40

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/multi...tentId=6008545
Old 21-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #17
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Yea, so GTX2 doesn't sound like it should be recommended for the Fiesta....

Old 21-06-2006, 09:52 PM   #18
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's that new Castrol EDGE (5W-30). 50 bux for 5 litres.

Teki has a good point :-

Quote:
one more reason we should be putting the RECOMMENDED oil for the engine to perform at it's optimum performance.

That's good enough reason for me to bring in any 5W-30 oil from any well-known company..... whenever I take my Fez up to Ford to be serviced
Old 21-06-2006, 09:57 PM   #19
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

That was what I use/d - Catrol Formula R, now named Castrol Edge.

Great stuff!

Old 22-06-2006, 12:45 AM   #20
Al...

my dealer uses the magnetic, so thats fine by me.... and really following the dealer sevice specs(1500kms), good or bad, its what they recommend. So really its ford who covers the product, if it breaks they fix it, and also if servicing with ford you are entitled to the extended warranties. if the car last 6 years with me........
As far as i am concerned, i will just follow what they want, service with them and leave the concern with them
Al... is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 07:20 AM   #21
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1500kms!!?!?! u mean 15000kms?
Old 22-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #22
Al...

oops...yeah.... you know what i mean, night shift will do that to you
Al... is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 08:43 AM   #23
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Heard good things about Motul oil. Anyone use it?
Old 22-06-2006, 08:57 AM   #24
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al...
So really its ford who covers the product, if it breaks they fix it,
As long as they do in fact "honour the warranty" and dont try to "snake" their way out of all responsibility for the particular claim you're making at the time.
Iv'e heard of instances of this actually happening with Motor Vehicle Companies......and not just Ford, some of them just get out of doing the right thing by the customer for the most trivial of things they can find wrong with the car ("such as basic mods"),.....most of these things having absolutely nothing to do with the actual problem that the customer is claiming for at all, it's just a way of them getting out of the warranty claim. :
Old 22-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #25
Dodge
i like to be stroked

i think 15k is too ,long for a first oil change, thats 1 yr for the average jo, im old school and change the oil every 6 mths at least, I can say that any of my cars may be over serviced but i have never had to walk home, except when old mac toyota burnt my new MR2 when they left a rag in the air box.
Old 22-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #26
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We've recently bought a new Mazda 6 and there's no way it will be waiting until 15000km for it's first oil change. At around 4000km it will be getting changed over to synthetic.

As far a Ford covering your engine under warranty and using "their" oil, it could pay to carefully read your warranty book. I believe things classed as "fair wear and tear" aren't covered- so if your engine loses compression from using the wrong oil (even if it's supplied by Ford) then I think you'll have no chance of then paying for a rebuild. That's unlikely to happen of course (the engine wearing prematurely.)

Don't forget Castrol no doubt give Ford big discounts/ kick backs for using their oils.... I always supply my own and have never had an issue with a dealership refusing to use it.
Old 22-06-2006, 01:47 PM   #27
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MondeoSt24 there is no reason unless you give your car a bootfull plenty of times to change your oil before the manufacters deadline. With synthetic oil there is NO reason at all to change before 15,000km. Modern engines are designed much better and use friction reducing materials so they don't need to be serviced aas much.

If you get your car serviced by Ford or any other authorised service centre ford will uphold your warranty. If your engine looses compression during the warranty period ford will rebuild for you.

Fair wair and tear covered such items as tyres, clutches, brakes etc things that generally wear out.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 09:36 PM   #28
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We agree to disagree!

A new engine and the first oil change at 15000km- not for me. Short trips and a lot of around town driving also warrant more frequent oil changes than 15000km (oil not getting up to temp.) As well as vehicles that do not cover a lot of km per year.

I wouldn't like to try claiming for a wear related engine fault. Classic example is the well publicised case of new engines that were burning copious quantities of oil- there's plenty of reading on how many problems people had getting those faults fixed. BTW there's more than one manufacturer who's had this problem recently. ;)
Old 23-06-2006, 11:14 AM   #29
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

I ran my engine in on the oil that came with it when purchased new. It had a shell helix sticker on the window. so im guessing they used the middle of the range semi synth stuff in it..

About 2 days before i went to get my first service (3,000km check up) i changed the oil filter and poured nice shell helix ultra in it .... the guy at the service goes ''phoar this oil is clean for a car thats travelled 3000 kms !!) LOL i kept it a secret. After that check up service i started having a bit more fun in the car, seeing what it could do :P
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 10:07 PM   #30
ozfiesta
Starter Motor

Hi everybody,
my opinion about the oil is: never trust deeler,never!!!
Soon I will take the car for first inspection 3000 km,after that they never see again my car,and I don,t care also for warranty,I will keep my Fiesta for a long time so I prefer do in my self,choiche for the oil Mobil 1 or Castrol edge,syntetic is good enough for 15000/20000 km or 1 time a year if not use a lot the car,of course changhe together oil filter every time is another good point.
bye Davide.
ozfiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post