Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 28-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #1
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Default Pod Filters - Are they illegal?/ Post induction Pixs

Howdy ppls,

I have just been told that a pod filter is illegal to have?? is this right??
and is accpetable for defect as it defies the purpose if the pod is not positioned right, and takes in hot air instead of cold air.

Also if you could post pixs of urs that will give me a better understanding of how it should be, when and iff i get mine done.

CHeers
damo

Old 28-07-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

In NSW, as long as you hae it enclosed you should be right. Better still, keep the original airbox and just put it inside it. Its only if they're exposed and hanging out that constable plod will not be amused.
Old 28-07-2005, 03:16 PM   #3
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
In NSW, as long as you hae it enclosed you should be right. Better still, keep the original airbox and just put it inside it. Its only if they're exposed and hanging out that constable plod will not be amused.
Aust, putting the pod filter in the airbox is impossible in a fiesta, as theyre a totally different set up to what you and I are used to. The airbox of a Fiesta is the flat engine cover over the engine, Air passes over the top from the left side, through the filter inside the engine cover and then to the throttle body on the right.

Pod filters are illegal if they are not covered, but so many people have them so make sure you can put it all back together easily if you are defected for it (its extremely simple). Mine uses all the stock intake piping so all that needs to be done is to take the pod off, and swivel that black pipe back to the airboxes left side connector and thats it.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 05:08 PM   #4
chown
_ObLiViOuS_

How much are they, i thought i saw one for $90 bucks, K&N i think. Also what exactly do they do for the engine???
chown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 07:02 PM   #5
RedStar71

Danny does the pod make much of a difference? I was planning to get a pipercross one like the pic below and just bolt that to the stock airbox with a K&N panel filter inside or just nothing (may not need anything else after the pod, I don't know).
Cheers

Jason
Mods: "Zetec S" badges, Zetec driving lights, stereo remote Ghia Gear stick surround and metal door handels. Factory EGA Sports Body Kit and Sports Leather Gear Knob. ST Rear Wing, Clear Indicators, Racing Pedals, Door Pulls, Door Sill Strips and Piano Black ICE Bezel.

2007 WQ Colorado Red Fiesta XR4
Mods: Smooth Rear Wiper
RedStar71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 07:56 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ahhh, i see the problem Danny. Sorry, was in Focus mode when I replied to the thread!
Old 28-07-2005, 09:20 PM   #7
Danny
GT4.

Redstar, there IS no point at all in having another filter after the pod. As 2 filters would mean that heaps LESS air would come in to the engine.
I've seen people with the pods in the place you have it on UKFN. Yeah If it fits then go for it, my only problem there is that you need to take out the stock air filter (A lot of stuffin round) for it to work. Also the air must run through the airbox before going into the engine (and slowing the air down more).

The way i've done it is that i've put the pod on the left (in the photo looking toward the engine) box to intake pipe and swivelled it so it runs along the manifold towards the ECU and Battery.

When I wanna put it back, i take off the pod, swivel the pipe back and plug it in. Easy as!
Old 29-07-2005, 02:50 AM   #8
RedStar71

Makes sence Danny. Does it give you much more power, ect? Do you go through more fuel at all? Also what extra parts did you need to install it?
Cheers

Jason
Mods: "Zetec S" badges, Zetec driving lights, stereo remote Ghia Gear stick surround and metal door handels. Factory EGA Sports Body Kit and Sports Leather Gear Knob. ST Rear Wing, Clear Indicators, Racing Pedals, Door Pulls, Door Sill Strips and Piano Black ICE Bezel.

Old 29-07-2005, 11:37 AM   #9
Tripe

Default pod filter

Hi All

I think Ford did a good design of the standard airbox considering the lack of space under the bonnet. Sure it's bad that it sits on top of a hot motor but where else could it go? If you open it up and take a look, you can see that it's not some afterthought that Ford dug out of the parts bin, it's got a complex design of air chambers, holes, baffles etc.

From reading UKFN posts, it's seems obvious that the pod filter is only good for producing more induction noise and nothing more. Some users even suggest it causes higher fuel consumption and less power?

Danny, just a thought, but I hope you have covered each end of the air box pipes so that foreign particles don't get caught up in there. If you do need to swivel that pipe back around for some reason you might get dust going into the throttle body. Also found this link on UKFN about the breather pipe which connects to the air box...

http://www.ukfiestanetwork.com/index...topic=66098&hl

In my opinion, I'd avoid a pod filter as it's too much hassle (and possible defects/fines) for too little gain, if any. But that's just my thoughts - Why not experiment and learn along the way! :hihi:

:
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2005, 12:59 PM   #10
RedStar71

What I think I will do is get the K&N panel filter for the 1.4lt Fiesta (which would be identical to ours) and upgrade the intake pipe to look a bit better than the small crappy plastic one we have standard. I actually want to keep the airbox on the engine as it looks good on the engine and won't upset ford service when it goes to them for it's scheduled services.
Cheers

Jason

Old 29-07-2005, 03:59 PM   #11
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripe
Danny, just a thought, but I hope you have covered each end of the air box pipes so that foreign particles don't get caught up in there. If you do need to swivel that pipe back around for some reason you might get dust going into the throttle body. Also found this link on UKFN about the breather pipe which connects to the air box...
The breather pipe is fine, also, those holes dont need to be covered up as the airbox does nothing at all when not connected, no sucking, no nothing. I checked over UKFN befroe I did it.

Oh and Also, I have the filter for the induction noise. I'm not worried about power in a car that will never be fast anyway....
Old 29-07-2005, 07:19 PM   #12
GROOV3
Rollin

http://groups.msn.com/groov3/workpho...oto&PhotoID=96

My induction, mmmm love the roar
GROOV3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2005, 11:27 PM   #13
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Where do you get the K&N Pod??? I would try it... hell $80 for sound isnt going to break the bank!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 02:03 AM   #14
Danny
GT4.

And it sounds Freaking MAAD too......

Get the right throttle position and it whistles like a turbo, and then full throttle barks like a dog!
Old 30-07-2005, 12:00 PM   #15
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
And it sounds Freaking MAAD too......

Get the right throttle position and it whistles like a turbo, and then full throttle barks like a dog!
CAN SOMEONE RECORD THE SOUND?! plz....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 30-07-2005, 04:58 PM   #16
GROOV3
Rollin

i love the roar makes the car sound so much tougher

yeah about 1/3 throttle you hear a slight wshhhhhhhhh but its not overly loud like to get attention
Old 30-07-2005, 09:37 PM   #17
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Sound Sound Sound?!?!?!??!

Old 30-07-2005, 10:10 PM   #18
GROOV3
Rollin

sound good, lol
Old 31-07-2005, 05:44 AM   #19
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROOV3
yeah about 1/3 throttle you hear a slight wshhhhhhhhh but its not overly loud like to get attention
Ohh I donno, Mines turned a few heads and surprised looks when they see that the whistling bark is coming from a Fiesta....
Old 31-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #20
chown
_ObLiViOuS_

i wasnt gonna bother with one but like tek sed $80 bucks is aiight for some nice sound. might have to look into it more.I love these forums find out so much cool sh*t!!
Old 31-07-2005, 05:29 PM   #21
chown
_ObLiViOuS_

so the airbox has a connector on the right side is that wat u mean?and the filter connects to it and the pipng swivels around?or do u need to modify anything?
Old 01-08-2005, 04:40 PM   #22
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Induction

Ive got an intake setup..
I use the standard airbox, highflowed it out a bit and have replaced the standard filter with a k&n panel filter.
I kept the standard intake point (under the front of the bonnet) but ive added in a T pipe, with an additional pipe with cold air being fed from the left side fog light grille.
Works well, opened it up a fair bit.
here is a pic.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 04:50 PM   #23
RedStar71

Mitch where did you get the K&N filter? I rang around here in Brissy and no one can get one for a Fiesta. I gave them the stock number and everything (33-2853). If I have to get one interstate then that is okay.
Cheers

Jason

Old 01-08-2005, 05:00 PM   #24
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStar71
Mitch where did you get the K&N filter? I rang around here in Brissy and no one can get one for a Fiesta. I gave them the stock number and everything (33-2853). If I have to get one interstate then that is okay.
Cheers

Jason
There is a store where I am which can get them, and they were able to get me one for my Focus. If you like, Ill get a price for one on Wednesday and let you know, Im in Sthn NSW but I'll send it up obviously.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:09 PM   #25
RedStar71

Sounds good, I am waiting for Repco to ring me back and let me know if they can get it here. They show it as a filter in their system but don't have the Fiesta as an aplication. But that number is off the K&N site and the diamentions match the Fiesta stock part. If they cannot get it then I'll let you know.
Cheers

Jason

Old 01-08-2005, 05:13 PM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah luckily the Focus is in the US as well so it wasnt hard to find mine. But if you have the part number they can usually find out pretty quickly if its the right one or not.

Just give us a yell if you have no luck.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:02 PM   #27
chown
_ObLiViOuS_

Hey groove what size pod filter do you have on ur car there?does it make much of a difference to sound or performance? and does it use more fuel?
Old 01-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #28
GROOV3
Rollin

mines just like a standard cone k&n filter got it from autobarn for like sixty bux

it makes tones more noise, havnt noticed much performance i wouldnt of expected to.

also you need to buy an oil breather for the rocca cover.

fuel is down a little more due to driving it hard to hear the roar but yeah who cares
Old 02-08-2005, 08:20 PM   #29
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

sorry, i hadnt attached the pics, my comp wouldnt allow it for some reason, mista fiesta will post my pics up of the air intake. its still not complete, couple more plans for it.
I also made a mistake in my post before... my secondary intake point isnt behind the fog, its behind the front grille. there are two plastic covers either side of the radiator that just pop out, and allows a good space for an air intake to be placed.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 08:24 PM   #30
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Howdy PPLS,

Here is Mitch's Pixs.

Nice setup and good use of ur brain.

Cheers
Damo