Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 03-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default U.S and Thai Fiesta Unveiled

Images C/O Autoblog.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/02/2...d-hits-40-mpg/

Two keys things. They use the same 1.6L engine as our model does, they get a 6-Speed DSG. Also carpet on the back of the rear seats, which I'm sure most will agree is much nicer! Lots of minor changes, they seemed to have made it American without loosing too much of the Euro flair. I like the revised dash, but the front of the hatch is horrid. The sedan looks somewhat awkward, will wait to see it in real life before judging it though.

The Thai Fiesta look like our current model. It was unveiled last night too. No work on engines though...

dannyhilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I find it hard to fathom that US consumers wouldn't like the styling of the euro version, seems like a waste of time tweaking it cosmetically like that. Yes their tastes are different but there was nothing wrong with the original.

I really hope it takes off, it should be the bread and butter for the company.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Aus should take on the DSG and those leather seats.

That is all.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They had to redo the front and rear bumper due to their safety regulations, the sedans *** looks like a swollen lip! Same reason why the dash was changed, notice the airbag reminder for the passenger seat integrated into the dash and how the lower dash has been remolded? That was the reason for a lot of the changes, but I presume the rest was to Americanize it a bit. It's still not ugly, but it has lost some of the Euro models class.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTyphoon
They had to redo the front and rear bumper due to their safety regulations, the sedans *** looks like a swollen lip! Same reason why the dash was changed, notice the airbag reminder for the passenger seat integrated into the dash and how the lower dash has been remolded? That was the reason for a lot of the changes, but I presume the rest was to Americanize it a bit. It's still not ugly, but it has lost some of the Euro models class.
Well even that in itself is surprising as I would have thought euro safety spec would be higher if not level with US regs. Its a moot point I know but still weird.

The yanks seem to have a canny ability to make cars ugly.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that front looks crap.. What is with the silver bits on the side of the front bumper? Dont look like spotts to my, just some kind of silver metal?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Well even that in itself is surprising as I would have thought euro safety spec would be higher if not level with US regs. Its a moot point I know but still weird.

The yanks seem to have a canny ability to make cars ugly.
Its not that the euro safety spec doesn't level up with US regs its stupid things like for example what happened with the Pontiac GTO, the fuel tank HAS to be here, even though it was perfectly safe in the old spot. I was talking to a few Americans on the other forum and they mentioned something like that.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

man the front end isnt as nice as the euro model.

man that sedan is really not nice to look at... yet the hatch is awesome....

seriously why cant we get rear seat covers????

luv the leather seats they get
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #9
Fi.ES.TA

Lol that front bumper looks like its just been ripped off a proton savvy yuk yuk yuk, not done the fez any justice at all there.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 11:53 PM   #10
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You actually have a point tho mate, cars that get Five Star safety in the US don't always achieve this in the Euro NCAP. Like mentioned, they just have different requirements and safety standards. If the car had been designed in the US it would almost stay unchanged in most other markets, they just do things a little back to front!
Old 04-12-2009, 03:12 AM   #11
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I prefer the Euro one (much), but I'm a European kinda guy, I like the girls, I like the cars
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #12
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Don't like the Fusion-esque front bar, but it looks better with the 3 bar chrome grill.

It'll be interesting to see how it sells.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
Scoobie
Starter Motor

Looks alright...

Scoobie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #14
Scoobie
Starter Motor

and this one...

Scoobie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #15
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i like the look of both those!!!

I reckon he white ones with spokes not as thick in 19's would be awesome!
Old 22-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #16
Festy
WS Fiesta 5Dr Manual

Don't go for those horrible chrome "fill-ins" that replace the fog lights but.....

I'm a little smitten with the "Yellow Blaze" metallic we don't get here.

Festy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #17
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The blue one has grills in the bonnet. Turbo ??? or just style. AND why not here ?????
Why do the yanks get the 1.6 motor with auto and we get a 1.4 with auto !!!!!
Old 25-12-2009, 05:00 AM   #18
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Because they are often +100 kilos
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #19
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Interesting, perhaps a preview of what we will get once our source changes to Thailand. 6sp dsg box will really set the Fiesta apart from all the other small cars that are still stuck with 4sp autos!

The sedan looks better than some previous efforts (previous gen Focus & Indian Fiesta), with the requirement for such a high boot line, and the steeply rising side beltline it was always going to be bulky at the rear. In the photo it looks pretty well-proportioned, the only jarring element is the size of the rear wheel & tyre - the hatch seems to minimise this aspect slightly better.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #20
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Doesn't look too bad the US spec. Not as good as the euro one but still.... The new face is to work with the rest of the Ford NA lineup (fusion etc.) more than anything else. Ford US has said previously they polled the people they gave the 'test' cars too (big campaign of loan cars) and came up with a list of changes they felt would make the car more competitive but weren't going to cost the earth to change. Looks like they have done just that....should go gangbusters in the states this car if they sell it for the prices they have been talking about.

Shame the DSG doesn't get padels/flickable shifter for manual changes. But then again, we are talking a light car here...its easy to forget that car's like fiesta are rewriting the rule book on features/capability in a segment previously dominated by go karts with a poorly built body/interior on them.....

Still no word on whether the thai production will go DSG too....i'd be shocked if the DSG isn't rolled out eventually to all fiestas in production. I know autos aren't as popular in europe but i'd be surprised they would let Ford NA get to use the DSG and not put it in their own cars.....and since the thai one is basically euro spec sooner or later we will have it. This all fits in with the ford global move towards ecoboost and DSG motors in fiesta, focus etc. I think Mondeo/falcon and bigger will keep conventional autos but the little cars seem to go with DSG now once you get beyond 4sp auto....the 6sp autos weigh more than 6sp dsg (22pnds lighter apparently).

Sedan looks better than i expected. Is this the Thai spec one we are getting?? Looks different to earlier photos/com gen...

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #21
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thailand like small cars with auto as does Australia, so I'm expecting DSG, or something similar, to come online with the 1.6L engine when the facelifted Fiesta is released, in 2011.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #22
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do they get to switch the esp and stuff off from the dash as well?

it looks like they do from some of the photo's
Old 08-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #23
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
do they get to switch the esp and stuff off from the dash as well? it looks like they do from some of the photo's
The button I think your referring to (in the remodelled centre console) is the Passenger Airbag Off light, part of the reason why they had to re-do the dash.
Old 23-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #24
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sourcing of Fiesta will shift from Europe to Thailand with the new range set to arrive late in the third quarter. “Basically it’s the same model but there some changes to the model line-up which we haven’t announced yet … That is pretty major for us and it will also allow Fiesta to be even more competitive in the market,”
From CarAdvice.com.au

I'm guessing 1.6L auto and some specification modifications. Sedan should be here late this year to early next.
Old 23-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #25
AG3

Thai/Asia-Pacific Ford Fiesta

-Ford APA

Thai market engine-transmission lineup:
1.6 litre Ti-VCT: Dual-clutch 6-speed Powershift (no manual 1.6 listed for now)
1.4 litre: 5-speed manual, 4-speed auto

Last edited by AG3; 23-07-2010 at 05:26 PM.
AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #26
hhaannkkyy

Looking through the Thai Ford website and found a news article on the Thai production. Looks like they have started at the begining of this month and should release into other markets during September. I'm keeping track because the 1.6 & DSG sounds like a good package to replace the Falcon.

Google translated extract:
By from now Ford plans to continue manufacturing cars Ford Fiesta to start a new full pump delivery to Ford Dealers in Thailand And other countries . In the ASEAN region . From September onwards .

Clicky Fiesta Production Clicky

hhaannkkyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #27
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The spec seems to be quite similar to the current German sourced Fiesta we get. The only differences I can find is no mention of a driver knee-airbag (this helped our Fiesta score a 5 star safety rating), no three-door model and no Vision or Squeeze colour, though the colours might be revealed later. It does have the option of auto climate control, upper models get the sports seats, under seat drawer for you stuff (dammit, perfect place to hide my iPad) and leather looks to be an option. No mention of rain sensing wipers and Ford Power start, but this definitely gives a good indication to what our revised Fiesta will pack. No reason to suggest why our cars won't come with these new features! Of course the 1.6 PowerShift is there with Hill Launch Assist and the sedan looks to be alright, can't wait to see what it looks like in real life.

Thai Fiesta Microsite

http://www.ford.co.th/servlet/Conten...age&site=FTHEN
Old 24-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #28
shroomies49

I'm a sucker for orange.. lol

I really don't know about those chrome inserts in the front bumper tho...

To date: Phillips H1 & H7 Bluevision bulbs, K&N Panel filter,Centre console, clicon system for gps

To Do: 17" wheels and possibly lowering
shroomies49 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #29
AG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
The spec seems to be quite similar to the current German sourced Fiesta we get. The only differences I can find is no mention of a driver knee-airbag (this helped our Fiesta score a 5 star safety rating)
They took it out for the Thai version, most likely to keep prices down, but export versions for some markets could have a knee-airbag.
AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #30
Ignoramus
Starter Motor

I had placed an order for a Zetec in Vision via a fleet company (they order directly from Ford) and they came back and told me that I would not be able to order it in Vision since they were changing to Thai sourced manufacturing and it'll be approximately 6 month wait.

I currently do not have access the email for the exact details (I'll have to dig it up later), but from memory, the colours available were the same as those shown via this link with the exception of the gold - http://www.flickr.com/photos/connect...7624331542678/

For the Zetec, the interior trim was blue for four of them and grey for the remaining. I tried to push for any further information but it was not available. The changes that was confirmed was the colour set and the 1.6L with PowerShift.

Anyway, after spending a week researching then deciding to proceed in Chilli Orange, the fleet company calls back 2 days later and informs that they've now managed to locate one in Vision and it'll be available in 6 weeks.

So whilst I'm happy that I'll get the car much sooner and it'll be German built, I'm still sort of disappointed at missing out any new features of the new model.
Ignoramus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post