Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #31
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Default Re: ‘They must end the race’: Dire warning over upcoming Supercars event

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
These type of people annoy me.... Buy a place in the City Center then expect it to be as quiet as a bloody church mouse... Oh well I guess some people just HAVE to have something to complain about....

How about the extra income/tourism this event brings to the city of Newcastle?? I bet if any of these wingers own business's they wont be complaining about the extra customers...
Sorry, but we were lied to by the Supercars and NSW Gov in regards to this.
I know people that own business on Bolton Street. They have to shut their doors as people can't get to them. They own an extremely successful medical practice.
There was a report that the predicted $$$ that was dangled from tourism hasn't materialized. That is why they've now asked for more cruise ships to enter the harbor.

The TV makes the place look very special but unfortunately the $$$ isn't flowing like it should.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2019, 10:12 PM   #32
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: ‘They must end the race’: Dire warning over upcoming Supercars event

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I have no doubt that the race is a huge financial benefit in the way of tourism, publicity, and also has been a catalyst to modernising the city. But as for a windfall for local businesses, maybe not, so far.
Some businesses say they make record profits in November, others make less than usual. I guess it depends on what business and where it is.

Every time a business closes down that Anit-supercar Facebook page blames the Supercar disruptions.
I wonder what their excuse is for the entire CBD nosediving in the 30 years before the Supercars came to town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I don't know what it is about Newcastle but those East end cafe's have always struggled for business and are stingy at that.
They are always busy when I go in there on a Friday or Saturday night or Saturday or Sunday morning. However I don't go as often as I used to.
Maybe there are too many cafes for the area since new ones were popping up everywhere for a while.

Every year a new apartment block gets thrown up in the area. Surely the population is increasing to drive demand all the new apartments.
Do the residents not spend money in local businesses or are half of the apartments sitting empty?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-11-2019, 10:14 PM   #33
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I don’t know if many of the Newcastle inner-city food and drink businesses would agree.
Their complaint has been that the spectators haven’t been using the locals, the pop-up food vendors inside the race precinct are getting the money.
Last year, I went in search of something better than ‘yellow food’ (pies, chips, battered stuff) and came across an outdoor BBQ at Paymasters Café being run by an attractive young lady.
She offered to cook me ‘the biggest and best bacon and egg burger’.
We talked as she cooked, and she said that 2017, they expected a lot of custom through the front door. It didn’t happen. So, they decided to have the outdoor BBQ to entice customers, and it still wasn’t a roaring success, which was evident as I was the only customer at the time. Anyhow, the burger was as promised, and at a very fair price, cheaper than something at the imported pop-up vendors.
I have no doubt that the race is a huge financial benefit in the way of tourism, publicity, and also has been a catalyst to modernising the city. But as for a windfall for local businesses, maybe not, so far.

I walked past paymasters today front decked out for takeaway main sale is a double bacon and egg role for $10.00. No doubt will be lot nicer than the circus blowin cheap and nasty van selling cheap roll hotdog for$8.00.

Saw this year some interesting motor vehicles for show, a Camaro manual with 480 kw, heavily worked mustang of unknown origin whose name I did not recognise, then some classic drag car from 1960 that did 8s in quarter, an old lotus open wheeler- Jesus people who raced them had brass balls no secondary safety at all ��*♂️

Saw old peter brock racing car at customs house so some good stuff to see aside from racing cars.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #34
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Some businesses say they make record profits in November, others make less than usual. I guess it depends on what business and where it is.

Every time a business closes down that Anit-supercar Facebook page blames the Supercar disruptions.
I wonder what their excuse is for the entire CBD nosediving in the 30 years before the Supercars came to town.

They are always busy when I go in there on a Friday or Saturday night or Saturday or Sunday morning. However I don't go as often as I used to.
Maybe there are too many cafes for the area since new ones were popping up everywhere for a while.

Every year a new apartment block gets thrown up in the area. Surely the population is increasing to drive demand all the new apartments.
Do the residents not spend money in local businesses or are half of the apartments sitting empty?
Like most areas, decentralization of shopping has occurred. Other than cafes, etc there's not to much shopping to be had in the city.
Most people would drive to Westfield Kotara or Charlestown to do their shopping.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2019, 04:08 PM   #35
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been watching the racing on TV, and the spectator spot that I recommended at Zaara St seems to be blocked by a huge sign.
Double glad that I'm not there this year, not being able to see anything while being killed by errant cars and debris.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2019, 07:13 PM   #36
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
I have lost interest as the cars now have no relevance to what you can buy on the road. To call the supercar mustang a mustang is to me virtually misleading and deceptive conduct.

My interest is now the Bathurst 12 hour. Toying with idea of going next year to hear all different engines real time- just so hot....
Agree, the 12 hour is the relevant race.
Old 23-11-2019, 07:18 PM   #37
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

'They must end the race': Dire warning over upcoming Cadell Evans cyclist event cordoning off suburban Geelong and hinterland
Old 24-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #38
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’m not surprised, main stream motor racing has been becoming more and more vanilla as they try to cater to a brawder audiance.

Now we have people bitching and moaning it’s this or it’s that

I’ll go back with the desperates and stick with my grass roots racing

There’s less money involved so less people give a ****

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #39
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
Supercars requires younger viewers/consumers or it dies financially and it’s relevance is decreasing all the time.
Moving it to pay TV isn't going to help. I can't imagine the sponsors would be too happy either - when the viewer numbers have been substantially cut. V8 supercars aren't too bothered as they got their cut from the sale of broadcast rights
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #40
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74 View Post
Moving it to pay TV isn't going to help. I can't imagine the sponsors would be too happy either - when the viewer numbers have been substantially cut. V8 supercars aren't too bothered as they got their cut from the sale of broadcast rights

It’s all about viewership numbers/advertising revenue in an era of streaming........and the rights will be up for renegotiation before long
Foxtel is dying a slow death as it is and the product has become irrelevant.
Hardly anyone is going to the test cricket in Brisbane either.....perhaps there is just too much choice in sport and ways of getting it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #41
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Maybe a Cybertrophytruck race would pull in the punters.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2019, 04:18 PM   #42
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Would be able to one-up Melbourne with the woke enviro crew
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2019, 09:00 PM   #43
blue sleeper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
I’m not surprised, main stream motor racing has been becoming more and more vanilla as they try to cater to a brawder audiance.

Now we have people bitching and moaning it’s this or it’s that

I’ll go back with the desperates and stick with my grass roots racing

There’s less money involved so less people give a ****
The what now?

Have: 1JZ Soarer dump pipe, exhaust, coilovers , 17" mags
blue sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2019, 11:31 PM   #44
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Cybertruckdemolitionderby*
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2019, 05:14 AM   #45
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue sleeper View Post
The what now?
You sir are a legend

Oh my god, where would we be if we didnt have chronic masterbaters like you picking up spelling and grammatical errors on forums

If someone had such low comprehension skills that they couldn’t have worked out what I was saying, they’re probably stuck watching V8SC

Thanks for all your efforts here

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2019, 06:06 AM   #46
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
“Hey, Charger!”
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2019, 08:36 AM   #47
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Cybertruckdemolitionderby*
Every entrant would be scrambling over each other to get to the 50amp power cord first.
End up looking like a caravan park in holiday season.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post