Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-06-2018, 05:23 PM   #1
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Volkswagen AG and Ford Motor Company have signed a memorandum of understanding.

Link to Caradvice article:
https://www.caradvice.com.au/659051/...egic-alliance/

Business Wire:
https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...lliance-Extend

Detroit News:
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...hip/715925002/
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Volkswagen AG and Ford Motor Company have signed a memorandum of understanding.

Sad days ahead I fear. This Jim Hacket dude should stick to furniture, he appears to be undoing all the good work of Mulally.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2018, 06:16 PM   #3
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: Volkswagen AG and Ford Motor Company have signed a memorandum of understanding.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Volkswagen AG and Ford Motor Company have signed a memorandum of understanding.

At least its not Great Wall!
Old 20-06-2018, 06:44 PM   #5
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, I wait with anticipation for a Rangerok.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 20-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #6
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

I can't help but think of the possibility this news may taint last weekends 24 hr Le Mans GTE Pro class results.

I know it shouldn't, but but stranger things have happened.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2018, 07:54 PM   #7
Rico 110s
Falcon follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Wow, I wait with anticipation for a Rangerok.
Or a mustang GTI Diesel.
Rico 110s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

with Vee Dub are they serious?
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2018, 08:22 PM   #9
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
with Vee Dub are they serious?
Commercial vehicles.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2018, 08:23 PM   #10
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Keep in mind when we think of VW we should also think of Porsche. Audi, Lambo, Bugatti, Ducati and more. They employ more than 3 time the people as Ford.

They are not small potatoes.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2018, 08:33 PM   #11
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
Keep in mind when we think of VW we should also think of Porsche. Audi, Lambo, Bugatti, Ducati and more. They employ more than 3 time the people as Ford.

They are not small potatoes.
Yes.

They’re the biggest Automotive group in the world in sales etc
2 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2018, 08:53 PM   #12
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
Sad days ahead I fear. This Jim Hacket dude should stick to furniture, he appears to be undoing all the good work of Mulally.
Huh?

In todays climate these partnership's are de rigueur, and its no different than the BT50/Ranger sharing common a common chassis etc.

Not the first time Ford and Volkswagen have worked together either.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2018, 10:51 PM   #13
k981941

How ironic it is that Volkswagen was offered up at the end of the Second World War and was knocked back by all car makers as nothing more than **** box that will come to nothing brought around by a crackpot before the war. To become one of worlds largest car manufacturers and profitable. Yet if it was picked up by others it be nothing more than a Vauxhall or Land Rover, bought and sold between other car manufacturers. It be a interesting partnership between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
k981941 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2018, 01:59 AM   #14
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see it more as a way of twinning their small/medium/large vans. Having been a buyer of 2 vehicles in this market I'd say VW have the best build and finish of any van on the market but don't offer the best value, the Transit is very good but especially in Australia, Ford Australia have shown no initiative by failing to increase the model range including the crew van version, Torneo version and the sport version which would have no competitor. They are being outsold by the Trafic and it doesn't have an auto transmission. The MY18.5 Transit Custom has some great safety tech, better cabin layout and more torque although the 125kW option isn't offered here and there is no excuse for not jumping to top 3 in sales.
4 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2018, 08:51 AM   #15
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Huh?

In todays climate these partnership's are de rigueur, and its no different than the BT50/Ranger sharing common a common chassis etc.

Not the first time Ford and Volkswagen have worked together either.
Precisely, automakers have been working together for a long time. It helps to cut development costs while continuing to deliver such products as niche cars (Toybaru 86/BRZ, Supra/Z4, etc) and quality components (10spd transmission between GM and Ford).

I encourage more of this to happen, it only benefits the customers.
Old 21-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #16
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

An interesting alliance. A lot of history behind these companies.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #17
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #18
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

So the only question is which will be the dominant and which will be submissive?

Corporate marriages are rarely played on equal terms. My bet is that VW has deeper pockets and could end up controlling Ford.

But that won't happen on Trumps watch
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #19
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
So the only question is which will be the dominant and which will be submissive?

Corporate marriages are rarely played on equal terms. My bet is that VW has deeper pockets and could end up controlling Ford.

My bet is the opposite.

I’ll bookmark this thread, as I think one or two popular Ford commercial vehicles that are under development will be used by VW AG.

Ford have a VERY strong truck portfolio.
Old 21-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #20
minheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by k981941 View Post
How ironic it is that Volkswagen was offered up at the end of the Second World War and was knocked back by all car makers as nothing more than **** box that will come to nothing brought around by a crackpot before the war.
We could have had the VW plant and produced our own people's car. Imagine if that had happened and we were free to export an Australian car worldwide instead of having overseas offshoots. The following is from the Club VW page -

[I][I]An interesting side play in 1948 was the Australian government’s interest in the Volkswagen factory. The Labor government of the time wanted a lower-priced ‘people’s car’ than the Holden for the Australian people. Lloyd Hartnett of Holden fame was instructed by the Government to look into the viability of the VW and other European cars.

The Renault 750 was considered, but Renault insisted that no change be made to their product for Australian conditions. FIAT was also approached, but the same approach as for Renault was insisted upon. Hartnett wouldn’t recommend an arrangement with such conditions, so the Renault and FIAT plans were dropped.

The Australian government believed the VW to be very cheap to produce because at that time surplus production cars were being sold for whatever Volkswagen could get for them. Sold under these conditions it WAS a cheap car, but nobody at the Volkswagenwerk was doing any costings, and currency values in Europe hadn’t yet settled down.

The Australian government was planning to move the VW works down under and set them up in a wartime aircraft factory in Victoria. However there was no proof that the VW would have had public acceptance in Australia, and eventually the plan fell through. It is believed that another motor vehicle manufacturer ‘persuaded’ the government to let them in and set up a factory. As it turned out, a well-known British manufacturer took over the aircraft factory.

As it was, Australia, with its British heritage, connections and family ties, got dumped with lots of pre-war English ‘rubbish’.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
My bet is the opposite.

I’ll bookmark this thread, as I think one or two popular Ford commercial vehicles that are under development will be used by VW AG.

Ford have a VERY strong truck portfolio.
From what I can gather you are close to the mark. Ford is number 1 in commercial vehicles in Europe and VW are well behind. I think VW want to tap into Fords strong commercial vans.

A lot of employees are questioning why Ford, who have won most ethical companies awards, are getting involved with a cheating, criminal organisation like VW, especially after the Audi exec that was just arrested hours before this announcement, and others VW execs who have been jailed.

And apparently there is still some bad blood from a previous VW Sharan/Ford Galaxy joint venture decades ago that didn't end well.

But at this stage it's just an agreement to have talks. May not even go past that stage.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #22
k981941

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
k981941 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2018, 05:16 PM   #23
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post

I'm guessing Ford sell more Transits and Transit Customs worldwide then VW sells Transporters and Crafters....and we won't even talk about F-series sales numbers...
Old 21-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #24
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Ford and GM can co-develop new 9 and 10 speed auto's I don't think working with VW will cause Ford too much grief.
Old 21-06-2018, 05:21 PM   #25
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How do you say in German.
"There is nothing wrong, they all do this"
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2018, 07:12 PM   #26
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

The Mazda 323 was once re-named to be the Ford Laser.

So here's hoping the A3 will be the new Ford Laser! Or the S7 the new XR8!
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #27
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickford View Post
The Mazda 323 was once re-named to be the Ford Laser.

So here's hoping the A3 will be the new Ford Laser! Or the S7 the new XR8!
The official statement says this relates to commercial vehicles, so good luck with that.
Old 21-06-2018, 11:16 PM   #28
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my favourite ford

85 mazda 323

tarzan car
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2018, 11:23 PM   #29
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
How do you say in German.
"There is nothing wrong, they all do this"
"ve vill charge you $200 to step on ze property only Zen might ve peek at your car."

"Nein ze coffee machine is kaput also"

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2018, 01:10 AM   #30
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
The official statement says this relates to commercial vehicles, so good luck with that.
If it's an overwhelming success they might branch out and add a sedan or two.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post