Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-06-2018, 01:17 AM   #31
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Wheels special investigation: Australia’s own Dieselgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
Contrary to the wheels article(s) I could not tell you what it costs to repair the Mondeo. Got rid of it at 194,000 km. I did replace a parking bulb once.

I can tell you I would get between 850-1200 km for 60 (ish) litres.

I get 400-650 km for 60 (ish) litres in a FG falcon 2. I expect twice the kilometres before I worry about large repair bills in the FG. I do wonder whether I can still expect coils/head gasket at 180,000 km.
You should get twice the kms before any large repair bills. Our I6 is approaching 300,000km unopened. Still torquey and economical. Other parts will require replacement before the Barra does.

Has anyone noticed the Cruiser reviews where the 4.5TD V8 chews very close to the petrol version? I've heard of owners doing 14-15L/100km on the diesel, which is a bit of a shock as my old HJ60 could do 10s.
Old 19-06-2018, 01:19 AM   #32
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh yes and first Audi CEO has now been arrested in the German version of dieselgate.
Old 19-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #33
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Oh yes and first Audi CEO has now been arrested in the German version of dieselgate.
Yep .. wonder how all those powerful and economic diesels go in the real world when they actually have their emissions gear working properly?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2018, 06:12 PM   #34
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I think a lot of jokers don't realise how reliable some older little diesels are, take the yachting and boating world.
Good old fashion mechanical diesels without all the emission garbage and a heap of them still using non electrical starting systems ie rope and decompression start.
Geeze I wouldn't want to sail offshore with a electronic diesel, (let alone a petrol engine) it's electrical system would corrode up and stop working after a couple of days in a storm. Ask any serious (saltwater) boatie.
I can also understand the diesel 4X4 market, I would like to see how petrol electrics cope with mud and creek crossings up to the doors.

Car diesel (post ECM) stuff is too bogged down to be reliable now.
The VW diesel scandal will probably be the tip of the iceberg, I'm sure other companies followed suit fudging figures. Lets face it (diesel or petrol) just because you can't see anything from the tailpipe, doesn't mean it's clean.
One of my little 4ltr diesel Traders is now at 560 000km, another is
340 000km, third one is on 210 000km (barely broken in) and hasn't had the engines opened up. All mechanical injected.
Diesel economy is not the only part of the equation a lot don't get. Reliability is foremost to me as these trucks (and car) earn a living, payload is second with economy third.

Yeh I'll stick with diesels, I have a 1 cyl genset, 2cyl boat, 4cyl Traders,
V6 2 stroke medium truck and a 14ltr V8 turbo diesel large truck, even my cabin is heated by an eberspacher diesel.
One day I might even repower the XF van with one of the spare Trader diesels like the Melbourne taxi's of the 90's.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #35
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don’t think anyone here is questioning the reliability of old school Diesel engines.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2018, 10:13 PM   #36
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Whilst people on a car forum would know of the issues with new gen diesels as well as problems with short trips. The average, non-car person consumer gets caught out by these issues because dealers upsell diesels as a money saver. Apparently only Subaru actively recommend buyers don't buy diesels if they only do short trips.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2018, 10:30 PM   #37
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Whilst people on a car forum would know of the issues with new gen diesels as well as problems with short trips. The average, non-car person consumer gets caught out by these issues because dealers upsell diesels as a money saver. Apparently only Subaru actively recommend buyers don't buy diesels if they only do short trips.
In saying that, people do need to take some responsibility for their actions and purchases. Even as basic as googling ‘should I buy a petrol or diesel (insert car model)?’ Should give reasonable enough answers to make a semi educated decision.

I sort of feel that if you walk cluelessly into a dealership and take a salesman’s word as gospel then you deserve what you get.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #38
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Perhaps if Ford did this they would sell more of the economical ecoboost petrol engine cars they have.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #39
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
I sort of feel that if you walk cluelessly into a dealership and take a salesman’s word as gospel then you deserve what you get.
Unfortunately a very high percentage of buyers do just that, this is how car retailing works.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: