Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-01-2005, 06:30 PM   #1
MR_SIDO
you'd be popular too.....

Question Buy Local or out of town?

As a dealer I am well aware of the fact that the vast majority of customers would like to shop locally when they purchase a new vehicle, but I would like to get all your opinions and stories on the reasons why you stayed local or out of town. Was the price the deciding factor for you or do you pay a little more for the local service or convenience? Of course this has a little less impact in the major cities because of the closeness of dealers, but what about the rural regions?...........Awaiting your feedback.
MR_SIDO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2005, 08:58 PM   #2
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

My feedback for a discount? ;)

I've bought cars from everywhere.... local or up to 150kms away. Not just price but quality.... i'll drive an extra 100kms if it means getting the better car for the same/less money.

I know dealers have to earn a living too.... but i've seen some absoloutly ridiculos prices from some dealers for cars I can, and have, purchased for $1000 less and they've all been great to me.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2005, 09:28 PM   #3
rob_o

Some people are willing to travel to get cars which may be of better condition, or have the right options/features in them. Ive been told that in capital cities the prices of cars are lower than in rural areas because of higher competition.
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2005, 10:54 PM   #4
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Canberra is considerably more expensive than Sydney for second hand cars, hence people shop elsewhere. I have shopped in Sydney for new Landrovers and found the prices comparable so in the end I have bought locally to make warranty repairs less painful.
Regards,
Tote
Old 14-01-2005, 10:54 PM   #5
Sunburst50

I live on the outskirts of Sydney and most of the used cars at my local dealers have high KM's on the clock as the previous owner has had to do a fair bit of travelling to get to anything in Sydney.. The dealers generally have a high price on them and don't want to negotiate too much on price. I have found better priced used cars with lower KM's at dealers closer to Sydney. I also have inlaws who live in a small country town with no car dealers and only really have the choice of one major town within a reasonable distance and they have always purchased thier cars at that major centre instead of travelling to Sydney.
Sunburst50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2005, 11:42 PM   #6
Dodge
i like to be stroked

i went to LA for my mustang , just becaues
I went to sydney for my mercedes as there is more second hand and cheaper due to higher pay packets and everyone wants to be seen in new cars
got my mini for out back bush , there is no cooper s car left in suburbia
Old 15-01-2005, 10:05 AM   #7
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=xdc351]My feedback for a discount? ;)

I've bought cars from everywhere.... local or up to 150kms away. Not just price but quality.... i'll drive an extra 100kms if it means getting the better car for the same/less money.QUOTE]

150kms.........pfft.
i flew interstate to buy my GT.
organising transport and waiting for it to come home was the hardest bit. no where near the hassle Dodge had though.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 10:10 AM   #8
MR_SIDO

ok people second hand cars is not really what I am talking about, sure you would buy a used car out of town if it was in better condition, used cars are unique for the simple fact that not every used car is the same, I am talking NEW vehicles, vehicles that are all completely the same (with the exception of ones that are in stock with different options) for instance say I had a XR6 brand spankin sitting in the showroom and a dealer 50 k/m's away had exactly the same vehicle and you got quotes on both and the one 50 k/m's away was $500.00 cheaper what would you do?
MR_SIDO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 10:22 AM   #9
rob_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SIDO
ok people second hand cars is not really what I am talking about, sure you would buy a used car out of town if it was in better condition, used cars are unique for the simple fact that not every used car is the same, I am talking NEW vehicles, vehicles that are all completely the same (with the exception of ones that are in stock with different options) for instance say I had a XR6 brand spankin sitting in the showroom and a dealer 50 k/m's away had exactly the same vehicle and you got quotes on both and the one 50 k/m's away was $500.00 cheaper what would you do?
That would also depend on each vehicle. I would buy the one that had the options that suited me, as well as the colour, transmission, etc.

I think that 500 bucks extra isnt too much to pay to get the right car
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 11:12 AM   #10
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

pretty much counts me out. i'm not really interested in buying something that will devalue by 10k the minute you drive out the showroom
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 11:23 AM   #11
rodderz

I went into town to get my car, mostly because my mate was the salesman!

If i didnt know him though, I wouldnt mind at all shopping around and prepared to do extra travelling to get a better deal. If there was stuff all in difference, the closer one would do but if there was a fair difference in price i wouldnt care in travelling.

Their reputation and quality of before/after sales service is a big factor too
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 12:03 PM   #12
Steve
torque is your friend

I go into the prefered dealer and price up the car I want. I'll then shop around to make sure I've negotiated a good deal, not necessarily the absolute cheapest deal. I look for a dealer on the basis of location, service, reliability etc. If I buy a car from a dealer I'll take it back to them to service, so everything has to fit in. I find it's more important that the dealer will listen to what I want, have answers to my questions, delivers on their promises and DOESN'T give me the runaround. Buying HAS to be a total experience.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 12:15 PM   #13
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Well I bought locally, but never again, will I just jump in and not shop around, the only reason why I bought this certain vehicle was it was what I wanted, but next time I'm going to shop around, I may even try a certain dealer from up Sydney way??.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 12:16 PM   #14
BAUTE
formerly known as AUUTE

I live in tassie, and ordered my new falcon ute through RATT on these forums.

Why?

Because he comes across as a top bloke
Because tassie is a small market and the dealers here don't seem too keen to discount at all
because I have had dealings with the dealers here and aren't that keen to give them lots of money
because Ratt did me a good deal
and
because he seems like a nice bloke
BAUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 12:42 PM   #15
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

To me, price is the main factor, i got a price from my local dealer, then i drove 20 minutes to another, and i was offered $2500.00 more for my trade in, the deal was done on the spot. (the new car price was the same at both dealers).
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 01:16 PM   #16
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
50Km's is nothing its about the average drive from Sydney Burbs to the CBD, and $500.00 isn't a huge difference on a new vehicle but if its just another faceless sale then hell yeah I'd drive 50K's for $500.00.

But thats not the whole story its what I get for my dollar, both at sale time and through the ongoing ownership of the vehicle and ultimate trade-up.

Reputations are hard to build and easy to destroy! **** a customer off and they'll drive 200Km's and pay $1000.00 more just not to buy from you.

I am sure dealer sales cop more than their fair share of tyre kickers, time wasters, and those just hopeful of a 5 minute thrash in something they cannot afford. How you pick them from real punters I don't know. Thats your job. But being treated with contemp or disinterest wont win any future sales.

I'm sure the majority of people buying cars for $50K and up not idiots, and most will do their homework, well before actually buying. Yet tell most salesguys will treat you like you have the plague if you answer the "when were you thinking of buying" question at anything outside the current calendar month.

a few real examples.

On arriving im Melbourne for work I looked at trading my NSW registered vehicle on a new XR8. I knew what I wanted, knew the price, knew the options just wanted to do the deal on changeover. Hopped on the Ford website typed in my Nunnawading postcode and headed off to the suggested dealer. I was told albeit politely that I was a fat bastard and I wouldn't like the XR seats, I'd be better off with a 5L Fairmont. (I loved the XR seats)
I went of to another dealer (Strapp see sponser logo above) and was treated like a customer. And I cannot speak more hightly of how I was treated, including revising price on a signed order at request, as ELII was released with options I had selected now standard.
Service of that vehicle was equally professional and I was always informed, advised and respected. And didn't I enjoy parking that vehicle and chatting to the sales manager at Ringwood.

My then employer went to pay cash for a new Mercedes that his wife had her heart set on, at a prestige dealership in Melbourne after not even being acknowledged for over an hour they drove around and bought a new SAAB same afternoon.

Saw a few Demo BA XR8 I liked now back in Sydney and did the ring around. Being offered $8K for a very tidy Low Ks optioned EL XR8 was insulting, and that dealer never had a chance to make a counter offer. Only thing he got from me was a set of treadprints in his exit way.

And some of the others, sir "Ford will soon release an upgrade kit to fit the colour ICC to your car", do they honestly think I'm not going to check?

Helping a friend in Adelaide look for a car, The sales guy hardly even acknowledged her and kept talking to me, guess who lost the sale on a Focus.

Yes we'll drive elsewhere for a deal and for good service, build that up and people will travel to buy from your dealership.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #17
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I usually shop my cars around for the best change over price then go from there. Then i get them to price it up as I need it with more trade in or less trade in and a lower new vehcile price. At the end of the day you can have it serviced at any authorised Ford dealership and it makes **** all difference to them as the service departments are run as a seperate business to new car sales. Its not like the service department is going to treat you poorly just because you didnt purchase the car from them, they don't care they are still making money out of you.

In saying that however I purchased my BA XR6 without shopping it out as I have a great friendship with the dealership and all its staff and it was alot more satisfying to know that my new car would be delievered to me without a glitch not to mention the awesome deal they gave me!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 05:15 PM   #18
maverick
Long live the 'Scort

I live 300 Kms from Melbourne. I actually have just ordered my car from a local dealer because I have had all my Fords serviced there and I trust the guys that are working on the car. This to me is worth a $500-$1000 premium on a new car price. As it turned out I did get the best deal from the regional dealer anyway. However the point I wish to make is if the regional dealers are not supported and fail, then I would have to travel a long way for servicing. At least locally your not treated just like a number....
'05 Mk II GT-P 6 speed Lightning Strike with Orange strips, G&D Performance CAI, RipShift, Dual 3" DiFillipo Quad exhaust and headers, SCT Flash tuner + G&D custom tune, Tinted Windows........ :....more to follow !
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 11:07 PM   #19
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mr Sido - Where are you a dealer and a dealer of what? But, in answer to your question, I live within 20klms of Melbourne CBD, so I have the luxury of plenty of dealers at my disposal. I have bought 4 new cars within the last 3 years and not one of them did I buy locally. We have a very large Ford/FPV dealer where I live, I have my car serviced there but I won't buy from them simply because I find the sales staff I have dealt with as useless. Although on my last purchase (GTP), they were the most expensive by $15k and very unwilling to negotiate, I didn't find them to be personable at all. I have, in the past, explained my thoughts to the Sales Manager but he also seems uninterested in why my local business has gone out of town. It's never just about the cheapest price, although that is a big influencing factor, it's also about 'buying' the sales person. I am in retail and have been for over twenty years, it's a simple formula, 'If you like the sales person you believe him, if you believe him you trust him, if you trust him you buy from him". I bought from a dealer on the other side of Melbourne because I liked the Sales person, I felt I got a good deal, he didn't bullshit me and I felt comfortable, it's as simple as that.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by JAJH; 15-01-2005 at 11:09 PM.
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2005, 11:32 PM   #20
Stang
Banned

I to am a dealer and would like to know how many of you are entitled to the Ford Employee Discount.....and why the people who are entitled to the discount seem to be the most unhappiest, ungratefull customers around.You should all be gratefull that you save the tens of thousands that you do, but no, the majority of you all seem to be taking it a little bit to much for granted.
Maybe we should organise to have the Employee discounting programme abolished so you all pay RETAIL and have to negotiate like all the other hard working Australians out there who are gratefull for every red cent that they can save.
Come on people, take a long hard look at the situation and realise just how lucky you are next time you walk into a Ford dealership and think that the world and FORD owe you everything! :jab:
Stang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2005, 11:50 AM   #21
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would drive interstate if the deal was considerably better...
My closest ford dealer is about 5 mins away and they will never ever ever ever get my business even if they are the cheapest on the planet.... rude bastards
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2005, 12:02 PM   #22
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak351
pretty much counts me out. i'm not really interested in buying something that will devalue by 10k the minute you drive out the showroom
Me either. I buy cars that are 1-2 years old and have a low as possible k's. As my work requires me to drive loads of k's. A high k motor won't last long. I also don't by new as I don't like the $'s being ****ed into the wind due to devaluation. Devaluations a killer. My current EL and Hyundai worth very little due to it. :(

My parents bought a 12mth old late 2003 BA for $23,000. Considering some people are still paying $20,000 for AU's. Thats just silly.

Brenden

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2005, 12:17 PM   #23
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

I generally shop around Melbourne's vast Ford dealerships and get the best price,my last car i bought i was intending to buy from New Oak Ford as i bought my previous T-Series there but they couldnt match City Ford a difference of $3000.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2005, 11:18 PM   #24
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I'd travel hours just to get the right car. My last new car was 2.5hrs away from where I was. Distance isn't so much of an issue as getting the car that suits me. Having a sales person who knows what they're on about helps a lot too.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2005, 11:36 PM   #25
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

There is a certain dealer I wll see that just happens to also be local, if and when I do decide to upgrade. He knows who he is.

The nearest one, however I won't even touch, I don't mind going for a drive to get a good deal, or having the satisfaction of after sales service.
Old 17-01-2005, 12:12 AM   #26
The Mighty Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAUTE
I live in tassie, and ordered my new falcon ute through RATT on these forums.

Why?

Because he comes across as a top bloke
Because tassie is a small market and the dealers here don't seem too keen to discount at all
because I have had dealings with the dealers here and aren't that keen to give them lots of money
because Ratt did me a good deal
and
because he seems like a nice bloke
i've haven't come across a salesman yet who doesn't seem a bad bloke , but you sure find out after you buy the car whether he is or not.
Old 17-01-2005, 10:30 AM   #27
MR_SIDO

JAJH I am a Ford Dealer but I wont tell you where, I would like to remain anonymous, if you guys figure it out, which I am sure you all could, thats ok. I just appreciate the feedback, its good to be able to get a customers veiwpoint. RED EL XR8 thankyou for your detailed response, you a right in many ways, it is silly to sell to the man when the girlfriend/wife is looking at a focus, 99% of the time if you sell to the lady you have already sold it to the man. (this goes for any other car as well) and a dealer telling you about an upgrade kit for the ICC.......What the????? If you are going to lie you better remember the lie because that one could bite you. Anyway I am enjoying the feedback so keep it coming.
Old 17-01-2005, 01:06 PM   #28
BAUTE
formerly known as AUUTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by our_blue_xr6
i've haven't come across a salesman yet who doesn't seem a bad bloke , but you sure find out after you buy the car whether he is or not.
come down here, most of them can't even fake charm or honesty
BAUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 01:12 PM   #29
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think most people would start with the dealer nearest their home or work for convienience and work their way away maybe even ringing a few of the furthest. Some would shy away from those they have previously had a bad experience with, or know someone who has. Although you don't have to have the car serviced at the dealer you bought from it's the reason most start the dealer closest. I live in a regional area and know a number of people have bought out of area even in the next towns 50 or 80kms away because of a better deal. Likewise I know people from those towns who have bpught here for the same reason-go figure. I also know people who have bought in Sydney nearly 400kms away. I would at least ring a few in Sydney to see what they were offering. I had a bad experience buying a used car once travelling 400ks to Sydney only to find the car was auto not manual as I specifically asked and it wasn,t in as good condition as the one I had locally even though I was assured by the salesman it was the BEST.
Maybe your question should be What ****es most people off when buying a new car?
As for STANG you may have had some bad experiences with Ford employees but I don't see anything that remotly relates to that or them in this thread.
Old 17-01-2005, 01:33 PM   #30
Discovery
"Jlywrslr" ;)

Mr Sido, I get employee discount (and am FAR from the customer Stang describes!!) but have still found prices vary quite significantly from dealer to dealer. I would go with the cheaper quote.. so far this has happened to be from one particular dealer who obviously fights hard for their sales. Extras being thrown in are also a lure. To answer your question though, yes I would travel for a better deal.

Problems with car salespeople? I and a co-worker have unfortunately been confronted with the issue of not having a test vehicle in the specification we were looking at available. After much persuasion the dealer somehow 'found' one in the config we were looking at to drive in both cases. Now tell me, are you going to lay down a large amount of money on a manual XR6T if you had never been allowed the opportunity to drive one? Obviously if more than one of us has experienced this problem, it must happen to others.

Stang, don't forget the employee discount also applies to immediate family members, if you do a good job selling to me, I may well come back to you another 4 or 5 times during the year...
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post