Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-07-2023, 08:14 PM   #1
Trendseeker

Default Toyota selling Rangers?

I went to a Toyota dealership this afternoon to look at a few cars, and came across 5 new Ford Rangers in their yard.

I didn’t bother to look at the details for all 5 of them, but the two Raptors on the right were listed for sale at $118,990, and they had 45km and 25km respectively on the odometer.

I would have asked a sales rep why they were selling Rangers but no one was there and the place was closed at 2:30pm on a Sunday.

I guess when you can’t deliver enough cars to people who want to buy them there’s no need to open on Sunday afternoon.

The nearest Ford dealership is 300 metres up the road.
Old 23-07-2023, 08:24 PM   #2
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 
Default Re: Toyota selling Rangers?

Is that in Kirrawee in Sydney?
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2023, 08:33 PM   #3
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Is that in Kirrawee in Sydney?
Yes, a few hundred metres from Dominelli Ford.
Old 23-07-2023, 10:41 PM   #4
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems a bit sus, the Ford Dealer would be pretty miffed, especially when warranty is needed.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2023, 11:00 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post
I went to a Toyota dealership this afternoon to look at a few cars, and came across 5 new Ford Rangers in their yard.

I didn’t bother to look at the details for all 5 of them, but the two Raptors on the right were listed for sale at $118,990, and they had 45km and 25km respectively on the odometer.

I would have asked a sales rep why they were selling Rangers but no one was there and the place was closed at 2:30pm on a Sunday.

I guess when you can’t deliver enough cars to people who want to buy them there’s no need to open on Sunday afternoon.

The nearest Ford dealership is 300 metres up the road.
Depends on your definition of 'new' - we had an argument about this in one of the VFACTs threads where someone was quoting the RRP of the VDJ79 is $80K and I pointed out 'new' cars with delivery kilometers like these advertised for $110K-$120K

They're no longer 'new' by the technical definition of 'new' as they're registered, so even though they only have 0-50km, they're actually 'used' cars.

I think its bull****, its still a new car to me if its got delivery kilometers on it and I couldn't care less for any legalese gobbledygook bull**** that some train-spotters think. Just because thats what it says on paper doesn't mean it reflects what people think or believe.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 23-07-2023 at 11:15 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2023, 10:49 AM   #6
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could have sourced from from auctions, or even via private sales to chuck on the used car lot. Could have even fallen off a truck.

Back in my Toyota used cars days we would source near new cars from different brands.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2023, 01:13 PM   #7
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

so that's what, a $30k premium for immediate delivery rather than wait 12 months and pay rrp? i guess someone might pay that, but it's not me
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2023, 02:15 PM   #8
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
so that's what, a $30k premium for immediate delivery rather than wait 12 months and pay rrp? i guess someone might pay that, but it's not me
It is the same rate Toyota tax they use on their branded vehicles
Old 24-07-2023, 02:22 PM   #9
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Both dealerships are probably owned by the same parent company.
Not bad marketing really when you think about it.
Have a couple of different options sitting on the same lot so someone looking at a Hilux has something else to look at as well.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-07-2023, 02:25 PM   #10
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toyota yards do the same with their "used" Landcruiser's with sub 100kms on the clock for well above retail sitting on the lots
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2023, 05:21 PM   #11
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare ss View Post
Toyota yards do the same with their "used" Landcruiser's with sub 100kms on the clock for well above retail sitting on the lots
Yep. Register it in an employees name , trade it in and sell it high.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2023, 12:45 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Sounds buyers flipping their cars for more than they paid?
Seem I’ve heard this before…….
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2023, 09:28 PM   #13
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
It is the same rate Toyota tax they use on their branded vehicles
Yes, you’re right. They’re doing it with their own vehicles too.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyota...medium=partner

Toyota dealers busted selling new cars as ‘used vehicles’ with inflated prices – and there’s nothing to stop them

Toyota dealers are advertising brand-new vehicles as "used cars" at drastically inflated prices, while customers in the queue wait months and in some cases years.

Toyota dealers in Australia are openly advertising brand-new, in-demand hybrid models at wildly inflated prices by moving them across to their used-car departments – or discreetly selling them to wholesalers or friendly rival dealers – as thousands of customers in the queue wait months and in some cases years.

Buyers waiting for in-demand models such as the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid and Toyota Camry Hybrid have been frustrated by lengthy delays that typically stretch from six months to two years.

Customers stuck in the queue have voiced their anger on social media about dealers moving brand-new Toyota hybrid cars onto their used-car lots – or to industry contacts who move the vehicles on their behalf – to sell them for much higher than normal retail prices.

Now there is clear proof the rogue practice is real – and Toyota Australia has conceded there is nothing it can do to stop the price-gouging because it is not against the law.

A customer waiting for a Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid contacted Drive and shared examples of brand-new cars for sale with 6km and 33km on the odometer.

Drive also unearthed countless other examples after a quick search online, and found dozens of brand-new Toyota RAV4 Hybrids – and other Toyota models – with between 1km and 50km on the odometer, but advertised as "used cars".

Some brand-new "used cars" appeared to be offered for sale by Toyota dealers (you can see Toyota signage in the background), while other cars appeared to have been advertised at a premium via wholesalers or nearby friendly rival dealers.

In the examples given to Drive by one frustrated customer, both cars appeared to be for sale by the same Toyota dealer – the cars were photographed inside a Toyota showroom rather than a used-car lot – and the number plates were only a few digits apart and the vehicles had only just been registered.

One example (6km) was advertised for $53,990 and the other example (33km) was advertised for $53,888.

According to the pricing calculator on the Toyota Australia website, the exact same model – Toyota Corolla Cross GXL Hybrid all-wheel-drive – is estimated to cost $47,541 drive-away (Sydney, metro) .

The price premium for the brand-new examples of the Toyota Corolla Cross advertised as 'used cars' is more than $6300 – or 13 per cent – dearer than a new model.

Examples unearthed by Drive showed the price premium on brand-new Toyota RAV4 Hybrids advertised as "used cars" is even higher – between $8000 and $10,000 more than the recommended drive-away price on the Toyota Australia website calculator.

When the customer who contacted Drive had alerted Toyota Australia to his particular examples – just two of dozens also found by Drive online – he said he was dismayed to receive the following response:

"Thank you for your recent enquiry received by the Toyota Guest Experience Centre.

"As a result of unprecedented global and local demand for Toyota vehicles, in addition to the continued impacts of the global coronavirus pandemic, our vehicle production has been impacted by continued parts shortages. Due to these challenges, Toyota is experiencing longer wait times for new vehicle deliveries across its range.

"Unfortunately, this has resulted in an increase of price to the second-hand market as these vehicles are readily available. As each Toyota dealership is independently owned and operated, pricing for second-hand vehicles is up to their discretion."

Toyota Australia dismissed the price-gouging by the unknown dealer as a market trend.

"Second-hand market prices are not set by the dealer. However, as the market is already inflated, dealerships price their second-hand vehicles to keep up with the second-hand market," said the response to the customer from Toyota Australia, a copy of which has been obtained by Drive.

Furthermore, despite previous assurances to the contrary, it appears Toyota Australia is not taking steps to ensure customers next in the queue get access to cancelled orders.

"If a (customer) has ordered a new vehicle but they no longer want it and sell it back to the dealer, this would be considered a used vehicle," the response from Toyota Australia to the customer said.

"There are other reasons why a vehicle may be considered second-hand, however we are not privy to these transactions and therefore cannot comment on why there would be second-hand vehicles with low kilometres.

"We recommend that you continue to speak with your dealer regarding any updates for your specific vehicle order. We do understand this can be frustrating for customers and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

"We thank you for your feedback and have taken this opportunity to forward your comments to our marketing department who would collate all such material for consideration."

The examples of Toyota dealers price-gouging on brand-new cars being sold as "used cars" for inflated prices – rather than to the next customer in the queue – comes as there is renewed focus on setting fixed prices for new cars in Australia.

Honda and Mercedes-Benz controversially switched to non-negotiable fixed prices in Australia over the past two years.

While Honda sales have since tanked, Mercedes-Benz has found itself in the middle of a Federal Court battle launched by a large group of dealers who say the terms of the change are unfair. The judgement is due in the coming weeks.
Old 14-08-2023, 10:57 PM   #14
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IOW, Toyota are happy for its dealers to make hay while the sun shines.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2023, 10:05 AM   #15
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I noted the other week, a delivery mileage Grenadier offered at significantly more than the pre-order consideration.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2023, 12:49 PM   #16
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I pointed out Ford doing this a few years ago, selling new cars with pre delivery k's on them as used through their own wholesale operation down the road.

Seemed ok then..
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2023, 09:38 PM   #17
Vekgib

It's only a rort if you're not involved

Stuff this,I'm going to play a few shots & see what happens.
Vekgib is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2023, 07:02 PM   #18
Bazzle

Dealers sometimes hold cars for other dealers in their ownership Group. There is one such dealer in Vic who does Toyota, Ford, Jaguar, Lexus etc.
You see them all in the pre delivery building.
Old 17-08-2023, 11:47 AM   #19
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I pointed out Ford doing this a few years ago, selling new cars with pre delivery k's on them as used through their own wholesale operation down the road.

Seemed ok then..
Was that pre-Covid induced supply chain/superconductor/in-grown toenail bull dust...and was there a wait of up to or over 12months for those "new second-hand vehicles"? And irrespective of brand it's not acceptable behaviour because eventually the discount cycle will return if manufacturers don't do an "Opec" and reduce production to keep supply limited.

It's probably old news however I heard on the radio this morning Ford has signed an exclusive deal on a ship running Thailand-Aust-NZ and back.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2023, 12:51 PM   #20
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post

It's probably old news however I heard on the radio this morning Ford has signed an exclusive deal on a ship running Thailand-Aust-NZ and back.
This one's going cheap at the moment on marketplace.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post