Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 2.7 Hilux - Anyone driven one?

My father is considering an engine transplant in his courier, and I am thinking of a 2.7 Hilux engine for it. Power and torque looks ok (~110kw @ 5200, 240nm @ 3800), but I haven't driven a car equipped with one. A low-boost turbo setup is being considered as well, if the situation warrants. Whatever goes in, it's going to be better than the MA engine that's in it (2.0 carbied mazda engine, as found in early 929's as well, apparently).

So has anyone driven a 2.7 Hilux? And what are they like?

Thanks
Ben

Last edited by BLSTIC; 21-06-2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Re-wording
BLSTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Rob
Living the dream

I have, I have!!

Ok, the one I drove was an 02 SR5, 5sp manual.

It was good, but rather thirsty. The power looks pretty weak on paper, and I wouldn't say it felt powerful as such, but it went alright, easily enough power for most people, considering it's not a performance car. Apparently they have issues with the bottom end if the oil is not changed frequently, and sludge build up is a problem with most Toyboata engines. Otherwise I reckon it's pretty foolproof.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Apparently they have issues with the bottom end if the oil is not changed frequently, and sludge build up is a problem with most Toyboata engines. Otherwise I reckon it's pretty foolproof.
The Toyota Diesels are vertually bulletproof if serviced regularly, infact any diesel that does not have it's oil changed every 5000klm will suffer sludge build up, not just Toyota's.

Have you looked at the 3.0L turbo diesel as an alternative, if you are going to the trouble of slotting in a 2.7L , I would look at the 3.0L 1st.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
The Toyota Diesels are vertually bulletproof if serviced regularly, infact any diesel that does not have it's oil changed every 5000klm will suffer sludge build up, not just Toyota's.

Have you looked at the 3.0L turbo diesel as an alternative, if you are going to the trouble of slotting in a 2.7L , I would look at the 3.0L 1st.
The 2.7 is a Petrol motor, that was also in the First Prados. They were slow, thirsty, but capable off road. This engine's best factor, was like Ford's I6, it had bucket loads of torque (and has to be all right, it is still being used in the Work Mate HiLuxes.)

Why doesn't your Dad just replace the ute, instead of doing a Heart Transplant. Tritons and Couriers are cheap enough, and will be a great deal easier to insure and drive every day compared to the Fordota.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Moved to the Pub as you should get more assistance from the bigger audience ;)
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
azaxr8

I drive new turbo diesel hilux daily up north. They scoot along, nothing slow about them. Would be my first pick on a FWD if i was to sell the xr.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Because everything he spends on the 'work car' get's written off as a buisiness expense. The fact that no-one expects a work ute that old to go fast (in a straight line at least) is another bonus.

I never actually considered a turbo-diesel though...
Old 22-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the 2.7 petrol go ok unloaded but as soon as you load them up they do not pull at all. I wouldn't reccomend it. (drove one for 4 years)
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old man has a 02 petrol hilux, i wouldnt say its a bad drive, because its very easy to drive, the gears are a bit short for my liking, with little/no load its very nice power wise, with a big load on, it pulls along ok but its nothing special.
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
The 2.7 is a Petrol motor, that was also in the First Prados. They were slow, thirsty, but capable off road. This engine's best factor, was like Ford's I6, it had bucket loads of torque (and has to be all right, it is still being used in the Work Mate HiLuxes.)

Why doesn't your Dad just replace the ute, instead of doing a Heart Transplant. Tritons and Couriers are cheap enough, and will be a great deal easier to insure and drive every day compared to the Fordota.
There are two different 2.7 petrols
The 2.7 in the 05 hilux on is a completely different engine from pre 05. the only thing the same is the displacement.
I have had 4 hilux's. the last being an 04 the 2.7 in this is thirsty but strong, I would bounce mine off the rev limiter EVERY day at LEASE 20 times it done 120,000 before I traded it for my 08-2.7, the new engine appears more have more torque, doesn't rev as hard, and uses half the amount of fuel. It could be that because its new I don't really give it a hard time, also it is carrying less weight. They are a great motor.
bonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #11
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile

What about a 2.6L FI from a later model courier, combined with a little T3/4 or something would be a potent little truck.
Swapping for a different brands powerplant will mean a wiring loom change which can be a hard task, radiator mods, etc. At least a mazda product ought to bolt in with a few changes here and there.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #12
GSH
AU2 XR8

brilliant...

PERTH W.A

0406 553 226
GSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2008, 11:36 AM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

My bro has a 2.7 in his 2000 4x4 lux. It it good for midrange, it must have good gearing to get off the line but runs out of puff quick. I have tried to convince him to go for a low boost set up. No luck yet.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #14
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

I have driven the much newer 07 model 2.7L petrol Hiluxes.

DO NOT USE THIS ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!

The work Hiluxes with the 2.7L are remarkably thirsty with our work ones lucky to get 250 kays out of a tank. You could nearly get better economy with a Cleveland 351.

Not so reliable either talking to the work mechanics. I would recommend the diesel Hilux over it.

Have you considered putting a Holden V6 in as a lot of people do to Hiluxes?? I don't know if you can do it for Courier but there is a lot of knowledge behing Holden V6 to Hilux. The V6 would use less fuel and have a bit more squirt.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #15
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I reckon you should speak to someone who doesn't hate Toyota like sleekism seems to. Never much good to say about Toyota's, hey chap?
Old 26-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #16
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
I reckon you should speak to someone who doesn't hate Toyota like sleekism seems to. Never much good to say about Toyota's, hey chap?
I like some Toyota products such as the Supra and Soarer.

I'm not one eyed I like all Ford models :
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post