Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
rider007

Default "Engine Systems Fault" Error Message

Firstly a little background about my car. It is a May 2005 LS Zetec manual with almost 20K on the clock which I have has for about 18 months. Up until about 8 months ago the car was running fine but since August there have been random problems engine problems occurring. Most common is when pulling up to a stop the revs will eratically raise or drop and possibly stall the engine. The engine has even shut down when driving a few times. Sometimes the engine will recover itself and accelleration away from lights will be normal other times there will be no power at all and it will limp away. It has been into my local dealer twice now to have ECU upgrades , battery terminal earths cleaned , injectors cleaned, throttle sensor cleaned and still the problem exists. Over the last month almost once every week I will get an "Engine Systems Faut" error message displayed for no apparent reason.

I run the car on BP premium unleaded most of the time. I can't detect any pinging noise so I'm not sure if that is the problem. Any suggestions ?, because this random inconvenience is begginning to take away the joy of owning this car.

rider007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
FRA
Mr Focus

The fuel wouldn't be the problem.
Have you done any mods to your Focus?
It sounds like a ECU problem
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 10:28 PM   #3
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Your car should still be under warranty, have it looked at by a Ford Service Centre.

If the dealer you go to cant help, take it elsewhere, make 2 bookings in the area at 2 dealers on 2 separate days.

If you book it tomorrow, the wait is roughly a week to have your car looked at.

If your in Sydney, I recommend that you use Peter Warren in Warwick Farm where the fake harbour bridge is.
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone here know where the crank angle sensor is on these things?
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 03:12 AM   #5
BlackLS

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....+systems+fault

Read post 1.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 01:07 AM   #6
amlohac

You know, i have a 2002 focus, my car has had the EXACT same problem. $2000 later, all fixed.
Firstly i should ask if you have an auto? Cos i do, and the problem was with the unit in the transmission that selects the gears at the correct times, it had become faulty and was selecting gears too soon and to late, also there was a dodgy idle, like you have explained, also taking off from the lights it had become so bad that it seemed like i had no power whatsoever, turns out it wasnt down shifting gears when i came to a stop so i would take off in 3rd. But im sure you get the idea by now. I had to also change an entire piston and gasket, but that was another problem they found while fixing my car.

Hope that helps a little
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 01:57 AM   #7
BlackLS

First post says he has to work the trannie manually (manual trans) :P
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 10:52 PM   #8
rider007

Well just an update to all. I had the car in yesterday to hopefully get the probems fixed this time. Result ....replacement throttle body sensor sent up overnight and installed today. Too soon to tell if it has been fixed, time will tell. PS It is a manual.